• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wind Dancing (?)

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I know a lot of people are complaining about the new Gale Boomerang and how it supposedly sucks, but I thought of something.

Given enough time, just from what I've seen, it could very well be an effective weapon. Honestly, I believe entire styles of play could be created if you utilize the Gale Boomerang correctly.

Thoughts or opinions?

(Wind-Dancing combat style anyone?)

HardPuppet

Smash Rookie
I think the only positive implementation of the Gale boomerang, in it's current form, is to take advantage of the pull. There are so many vids where I see Links opponent get caught on the return and the Link just sits there instead of taking advantage of the closing space. If anything go for a grab, no? Granted, a lot of the Link vids out there don't show any semblance of skill, but still. Throw the boomerang with the intent to drag the opponent towards you, then, on a successful pull be prepared to punish. In it's purest form I see this as a good implementation.

HP

ioKain

Smash Rookie
This might not work or even be very effective, but cool non the less. Has anyone tried to get the gale behind the enemy and throw a bomb into the gale when it's coming back? Maybe the gale will bring the bomb with it on it's return.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
i havent played the game so i cant play for sure but to me it would depend on what yhou can do when stuck in it. i know you can attack but can you air dodge out of it? if so its a very... useless addition im my opinion

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I'm not sure why you're naming it so lamely, but yeah, I guess..
I don't know why people are giving the Gale Boomerang so much hate. =/
I used it and it was amazingly useful. It messed around with people so much.
When it pulls them back and you're close enough, you can go for a spin attack, fsmash or ftilt.
I thought the gale boomerang was awesome.

killbeast301

Smash Lord
Think about it, how are you going to get the boomerang to catch someone on the way back, if they're paying attention? seriously, people aren't going to just stand inbetween you and the boomerang, and let it catch them. if they do get caught that's great, but it's not going to work if the guy knows how to jump. If you can time it so he lands on it on the way back that's fantastic, but it wont be that easy to pull off.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
This might not work or even be very effective, but cool non the less. Has anyone tried to get the gale behind the enemy and throw a bomb into the gale when it's coming back? Maybe the gale will bring the bomb with it on it's return.
I believe I saw a vid where a bomb got pulled by the boomerang. It doesn't carry it with it though, it just pulls on it about as much as it pulls on an opponent.

HiIH

Smash Lord
The boomerang was amazingly useful in Melee, one of Link's redeeming features.

Change can be scary. = (

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
1.) Wind dancing was just something I came up with. Whether or not it sounds lame really has nothing to do with the question.

2.) How do get your opponents into the pull? Same way you get them into your sword attacks. Pelt them with bombs/arrows/YOUR SWORD until they slip up, get pulled and then you punish like mad (don't know how yet, when I get Brawl I'll work on this and see if maybe I can come up with some sort of strategy)

It's just an idea. Who knows. It could either flop and crash and burn, or turn out to be a Link main's staple of play...only time can tell.

Linkubus

Smash Cadet
Utilizing the pull back on the boomerang will definitely be important, however unless you've played the game there's not much point in speculating as to how the mechanics work - not to say that it can't be done, because it can, but just saying that it's probably a lot harder to pull off than you think.

A practical way to use the pull of the boomerang is when opponents are off the edge. Pull em toward you and into a smash attack, sounds possible right?

Using bombs to pop the opponent up, and then instantly throwing the boomerang forward would be another good way to get it behind them.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I think the only positive implementation of the Gale boomerang, in it's current form, is to take advantage of the pull. There are so many vids where I see Links opponent get caught on the return and the Link just sits there instead of taking advantage of the closing space. If anything go for a grab, no? Granted, a lot of the Link vids out there don't show any semblance of skill, but still. Throw the boomerang with the intent to drag the opponent towards you, then, on a successful pull be prepared to punish. In it's purest form I see this as a good implementation.

HP
Seems like it could be one of the few ways to get an opportunity to actually use a charged swordspin. Throw it, they get caught start charging.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Please describe this "wind dancing" style that you named. I dont really get the concept, but it seems to be based around the little tornado thing on the boomerang.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Well seeing as how I haven't played Brawl yet, Wind-Dancing really isn't anything but a name for an imaginary (potential) concept for a style of combat that takes advantage of the tornado/pulling part of the boomerang. I figure that SOMEHOW, it could be utilized in combat very effectively, but how is the main problem/question.

JoeTang

Smash Cadet
I personally find the name good. But of course, this theoretical skill probably won't be unique enough to deserve its own name. It would more than likely be an integral part of game-play as opposed to a completely, or partially, different playing style compared to other Link players. Theoretically, the name could be applied to specific combo styles which implement the use of the Gale Boomerang, but as a unique playing style, something like this doesn't seem possible, or at least not viable.
The concept isn't about using the Boomerang to drag someone every time. It is to trick someone into being hit by the Gale. You throw Boomerangs knowing full well that someone could easily Shield, Side-Step, Air Dodge, Reflect, or Clash it, but you do it anyways. Why would using the Gale to your advantage be any different?
Following up from the Gale is very important though, since if you're caught off guard by your own attack you just gave your enemy a free, fast approach. The idea is that your enemy will be the unsuspecting one, being dragged, not towards you per se, but towards an active attack, like a Neutral Air or Down Tilt. I used these examples because they can be stringed more easily into a combo or string of attacks rather than something like a Whirling Blade or Forward Tilt. You should have the attack ready for when the Boomerang brings them back, and not start it the moment they are at your feet. Even though the Boomerang is "hitting" them, I don't recall there being any stun.
Potentially, it would be useful for putting on more pressure than the previous Boomerang could. i.e. when they dodge the first round forward, you approach, and they have to worry about being tossed unexpectedly by a returning Gale.
I haven't played Link too much, since I didn't like the changes from Melee, but this topic has sparked my interest.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Don't start naming things, please. Simply put what you're talking about is just the usage of the Whirlwind. If anything it'll just be a tactic to the "projectile style."

Don't get me wrong. I encourage ideas and theories of the good use of the Whirlwind. I just don't think you should be trying to name a style based on just only the gale boomerang.

Right now I've seen two possible good usage.

First is to edge guard. Easy to explain. When your opponent is off the stage, throw the boomerang the opposite direction, and avoid catching it trying curve it downwards to catch the opponent and lead him down. Already discussed on another thread and pretty obvious. Seems to be easy to avoid...

Second, is to aid in throws. I only seen Lord HDL implement this so far and I seen other Link videos where the Link player has the opportunity to do this but they don't see it or rather even think of it. All Link's throws send the opponent far. Link's forward throw kicks them out at a good height to combo, but just to far in front to do anything. When the chance arises and you happen to have the boomerang out and happen to clawshot your opponent, kick him/her forward as the boomerang is coming back to get him in range for juggles.

But back on topic. If anything the usage of the Whirlwind would fit into any style, not have a style on it's own.

WR3K

Smash Ace
Think about it, how are you going to get the boomerang to catch someone on the way back, if they're paying attention? seriously, people aren't going to just stand inbetween you and the boomerang, and let it catch them. if they do get caught that's great, but it's not going to work if the guy knows how to jump. If you can time it so he lands on it on the way back that's fantastic, but it wont be that easy to pull off.
thats the point, even if it doesnt get them they are forced to jump, somehting they may have not been planning to do

Locke66

Smash Cadet
someone already said what i was going to say, but better...

so anyway, I could see the gale boomerang being used effectively.

HardPuppet

Smash Rookie
I'm unsure exactly of the mechanics for the GB, but I do think that this Wind Dancing will become an effective way to lockdown an opponent.

Given the obvious properties throwing the GB with intent to pull will make the opponent react in a predictable way, given a little conditioning. If they tend to block, least probable, then rush for a throw, if they tend to jump then counter with a Nair catch, Uair, or Fair...maybe even clawshot auto-cancel implementation.

I think, along with the clawshot auto-cancel, the GB will be a great way to keep opponent locked down for throws or smash set-ups. The HDL v. Pope vid shows how effective the clawshot auto-cancel can be. Throw GB up and toward opponent to prevent jumping then rush in with clawshot auto-cancel, sounds tasty. We should try not to discredit a potentially great thing for Link. Test it out, if it doesn't prove effective then ditch it and move on, bashing it before any kind of testing leads nowhere.

Oh and I like the Wind Dancing name. Considering the opponents need to evade the GB it would seem that the best way to describe the opponents movements around the stage while evading would be, dancing. :laugh:

HP

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
I've gotten the chance to play brawl acouple of times and here's a pretty good set up for the gale pull...

Throw the 'rang diagnol/up, go for the grab, then forward throw towards the gale, Charge UP-Smash or UP-B... i find these two work the best... up-b protects ur sides and will still hit if air dodged... up-smash protect ur front n above and will still hit if air dodged...

may be possisble to DI out of tho... and if thats the case... then just give chase... either way, ur still good...

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
HOw bout the name "Wind Waking"? ehh? i think that would be a better sounding name for gale pulls... haha...

AntonieFC

Smash Cadet

HP
You just owned several hundred noob Link players posting their videos on Youtube hoping that they will be considered, "Good".

It may be possible, Gale boomerang to grab F-throw, F-tilt, U- Air?
Pull bomb, Gale boomerang to grab to D-throw, jump and throw bomb? I dunno there's a lot of possibility.

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
You just owned several hundred noob Link players posting their videos on Youtube hoping that they will be considered, "Good".

It may be possible, Gale boomerang to grab F-throw, F-tilt, U- Air?
Pull bomb, Gale boomerang to grab to D-throw, jump and throw bomb? I dunno there's a lot of possibility.

you cant grab while holding a bomb tho...

link will automatically throw it...

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
This post annoys me for several reasons.

For one Link is not jigglypuff, he does not rely on a single uber dangerous move to KO his opponent. He uses projectiles and his close range combat so your opponent is going to pay attention to one single thing. If anything the fact that he pays attention to only the gale boomerang makes him more vulnerable ot the bombs and the bow and every other move Link has.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Link has always been all about using ALL his moves to distract and confuse an opponent. The gale boomerang just adds another layer of complexity to his game, seeing as on the way out, it hurts, but on the return trip, it disrupts. The possibilities of play styles for Link are mind boggling. Various styles of the rang might be fairly extreme to, like the difference of Germ's all out aggressive Link and Aniki's conservative Link.

Essentially, Im saying its all about the player. ;)

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
I know a lot of people are complaining about the new Gale Boomerang and how it supposedly sucks, but I thought of something.

Given enough time, just from what I've seen, it could very well be an effective weapon. Honestly, I believe entire styles of play could be created if you utilize the Gale Boomerang correctly.

Thoughts or opinions?

(Wind-Dancing combat style anyone?)
How are what? Some of us haven't played the game yet, so without links to videos or anything, its kinda useless to us now.

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
Link has always been all about using ALL his moves to distract and confuse an opponent. The gale boomerang just adds another layer of complexity to his game, seeing as on the way out, it hurts, but on the return trip, it disrupts. The possibilities of play styles for Link are mind boggling. Various styles of the rang might be fairly extreme to, like the difference of Germ's all out aggressive Link and Aniki's conservative Link.

Essentially, Im saying its all about the player. ;)
Other than the name dropping you said pretty much what I was going to. If implemented correctly it can be a very useful ability. For all the ppl pointing every possible flaw it could have...you make it seem like every other characters moves are FLAWLESS which is bull****, might as well go around and make a list of everyones moves and complain about how so-n-so is left vulnerable here or so-n-sos attack has 0.2 second delay which equals defeat, plz!

Pull+Punish=Pwn

:3

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
Its a pretty cool feature to mess with...

there were a couple of times where it actually saved my *** from a smash after a whiff cuz the gale would come back and pull them through and past me making them whiff their attack as well! lol

Santini

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I love the new the gale boomerang. I just see so much potential there.

I predict it will be a critical weapon in any good Link's arsenal.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I think the gale boomerang will be a great weapon. It can be good for doing some sort of combo damage since it drags your opponent back to you and since link has a pretty big sword range it can be good for some combos, but its a bit too soon to start I mean we still have to see what it can do.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
The only issue with this, is that opponents with greater range or Priority(Lucario, Marth, Ike, etc.) will ALSO use the boomerang and charge a Smash at the same time, since the gale will just drag them in like a homing smash attack, and that would've ruined the entire purpose of Link doing this move in the first place.
-DD

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
The only issue with this, is that opponents with greater range or Priority(Lucario, Marth, Ike, etc.) will ALSO use the boomerang and charge a Smash at the same time, since the gale will just drag them in like a homing smash attack, and that would've ruined the entire purpose of Link doing this move in the first place.
-DD
Most people will either be dodging or trying to set up their own attacks to even realize that the gale is pulling them. Also most of the time if they do try attacking the gale will pull them through and past link making them whiff anyways.

And with a good set up, you can basically chain link your attacks so that they wont even have time to attack.

some good set ups to use like that are...

A.) U/F boomerang, Grab , then F-throw into the gale, then either Up- Smash, Charged UP-B, or D-air.

B.) F boomerang, 123 stab, then UP-Smash, UP-B, or D-air

C.) hell ... after F-throw or 123 stab u can basically do what ever you want!

Eten

Smash Ace
I dunno. Link has some pretty hefty priority and range in that sword of his. What he really lacks is the ability to chase people for strings of hits because he falls like nobodies business and he can't keep up with his own knockback(heck you don't even throw with link, you just grapple them to beat on them, let em' go so you can smack them around with your sword). I think this has been true before Brawl too, and his projectiles have always been the weight to the other end of his game to stun/damage people up from range to get more hits in. W/ the gale boomerang, it really is just a further extension of that with the option to retrieve your opponents.

Basically, you want your opponents rushing you so you can plop an ftilt in their face again.

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
When i was watching vids i believe i would abuse the boomerang as much as i can and my bombs and arrows if spacing is good! If the boomerang happens to catch them i gonna use forward smash i think and maybe if you time it right the first part of it will hit boomerang stops then hit them with second part for a finish (not sure if it is possible)

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
When i was watching vids i believe i would abuse the boomerang as much as i can and my bombs and arrows if spacing is good! If the boomerang happens to catch them i gonna use forward smash i think and maybe if you time it right the first part of it will hit boomerang stops then hit them with second part for a finish (not sure if it is possible)
its possible...

but would take some god timing...

u would basically have to hit em with the first hit and delay the last one long enough for the boomerang to catch them and bring em back... unless u hit em when the boomerang is about to reach you.

it'd be easier to connect with a 123 stab, then follow up with one his stronger attacks.

hmm... i'll try it out tho see how it works out.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
all speculation really.
saying it will work, saying it won't.
posting ideas about the game when all you've seen are videos.

i see things coming all the time, doesn't mean i can avoid them.

link has bombs, arrows and himself to influence the enemy.

At least now the enemy has to not just worry about it going out, but worry about it coming back too. They'll have plenty of things to worry about.

We'll see if the galeforce pull is effective when the game comes out.

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
i'm liking it but I don't think it will do as much as everyone thinks.

I agree...
Its nothing game changing...

you shouldnt go around revolving your play style around it...

its just a cool lil addition they added to links already good arsenal...

nothin feels better than smackin em a couple of times only to have them come right back ready for you to smack em again... lol

Top Bottom