• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Win a ticket to e3 because gamefix rocks!

TheRealBobMan

Smash Rookie
Another Melee tournament, but this time, 1st place gets a ticket to E3! A pass costs about $500, so don't miss out on this amazing chance to win!

1st Place - E3 ticket
Working on possibility for prizes for 2nd/3rd.

Heads up - we will do a Call of Duty Black Ops tournament March 12th for anyone interested, with another E3 ticket up for grabs for 1st place.

Venue
Name: GameFix
Address: 134 S Brand Blvd
Glendale, California, United States

$8 entry fee
As for the starting time - I'm still unsure. We'll probably start at 10:00AM, going by what times we've had to start in the past, but I don't know how many people are going to sign up to predict how long this will take.

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!!111oneone 2-10-11

With the number of entrants saying they're attending, we're going to have to split the tournament and run from about 10:00AM to 2:00PM Saturday and Sunday. If for whatever reason only about 32 people show up Saturday morning, we'll go ahead and finish on Satrday. Otherwise, we're going to split the tournament over the 2 days. We'll run as much of the elimination bracket as possible on Saturday so people that have lost a match wont have to come back the following day.

We are sorry for any inconvenience. If you have signed up and paid, but now cannot enter, we can give you a refund on your entry fee, or credit it toward the Black Ops tournament next month.

IMPORTANT!!!! Please read.
We are getting a really large response from all places we've posted this tournament, and there really isn't a way to handle the turnout with the space we have, so we may have to cap the event at 64 entrants due to time constraints, and if we reach a full 64, we may have to run it Sat/Sun. We're planning on running just the first two rounds Saturday if it comes to that and trying to eliminate a full group of people, so they wouldn't have to come back Sunday morning.

PLEASE COME INTO THE STORE TO SIGN UP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO GUARANTEE YOUR SPOT

Copy/pasta'd from Winter Game Fest's rule set w/ slight edits.

APEX 2010: MELEE RULESET

General

All matches will be 4 stock matches, with a time limit set to 7 minutes.

All sets will be the best out of 3 matches, except for the finals which are best out of 5.

Items are OFF.

If there is a tie at the end of the time limit, then the person with more stocks wins. If both players have the same amount of stocks, then the person with the lower percent of damage wins.

You will be disqualified if you use any freezing glitches, such as the Ice Climbers' Freeze Glitch or Mewtwo's Soul Stunner.

Any non-first party controllers must be inspected by an official before use.

Performance altering controller modifications are not allowed.

Stalling a match is not allowed (such as wall-jumping under Battlefield), but recovery tactics such as Peach's Wall-Bombing, and Jigglypuff's Rising Pound are allowed.

Dave's Modified Stupid Rule will be in effect. No player may pick a stage he's won on during one set.

Pausing during a match will result in a disqualification for one match during the set.

Neutrals 1v1:

FD
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks 1v1:

Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium

Stage Striking will be in effect for the first match of the set. The player with the lower port will get to choose the first strike. Loser choses ban before next match.
One ban per player per set. To be chosen after loss.

Modified DSR: You cannot go back to the last stage you won in a set, unless agreed upon by the other player.

The Mage's DQ rule:
After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

The player choice clause!:: If both players agree to a rule outside of this ruleset, feel free to play by that. If one player wants to counterpick Mute City and the other player is fine with that because they think it's a fair stage, then that is more than fine. However in the event the two players disagree, house rules stand.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
holy crap this is like 15 minutes away. is there any chance of making this a regular thing? (with a different prize of course, like a simple money pot by the entrants)

TheRealBobMan

Smash Rookie
We've done some in the past. We like running tournaments, so there will definitely be more in the future, and Smash is our fallback whenever we don't want to run something else since we always get people. We run Brawl too, but we want a large turnout, and Brawl runs too damn slow, so we're doing Melee again.

It wont really be a regular thing, but every few months, yeah, it'll happen. : )

I just have to post this here more often. I usually use All is Brawl.

JDM

Smash Champion
I hope somebody chill wins this so they can hang out with me at E3.

TheRealBobMan

Smash Rookie
Please let your friends know. We're hoping for a lot of people. All we're getting over on AiB is "why isn't this Brawl?"

I'm hoping we don't have only 10 people show up the day of. -_-;

baka4moé

Smash Champion
i get the feeling ppl will start posting as we get near the date. i mean its still like 3 weeks away right? it is the weekend before pound, so ppl will prob show up..

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'll see if I can interest the Irvine smashers in this event.

As for the starting time - I'm still unsure. We'll probably start at 10:00AM, going by what times we've had to start in the past, but I don't know how many people are going to sign up to predict how long this will take.
The Melee community is a pretty flaky one, so I doubt that you could get a decent turnout if you start before noon.

TheRealBobMan

Smash Rookie
I can't do anything about it. We normally open at that time and it'll interfere with business too much to deal with registration at that time. Also, going to post an update right now. We may have to cap at 64 and, if we hit a full 64, run the first round or two of the bracket Saturday morning and the remainder Sunday (to try to get a group of people through elimination and out of the tournament to help manage space - at least they wont have to come back the next day). Or we could do it Friday and run the bulk Saturday, but I'm not sure which would work better for the entrants (I would assume you'd want the Friday to do other things, if you could even make it - we're starting this the weekend before the community college here starts up, but other schools will probably already be in session, so Friday morning is a bad idea).

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
alright well i'm just letting you know that if your turnout isn't huge, it's cause smashers didn't wanna wakeup that early. i'd go early if i lived in cali, but i know alot of cali smashers are lazy

baka4moé

Smash Champion
wow there's that big of a response? lol i'm a bit surprised to be honest, since smashboards doesn't seem to have too big of a response..64 man tourney sounds awesome!

baka4moé

Smash Champion
I have some questions:
1. Will there be doubles at this?
2. Reading the op, does this mean there's no entry fee, just a venue fee?
3. Should people bring setups to this to help the tourney run more smoothly? (speaking of which, the tvs there are crts right?) Just checking, cause I've never been to these before.
4. Will singles have pools, and will bracket be double elim?
5. Where outside of swf is all this interest coming from?

Thanks.

TheRealBobMan

Smash Rookie
Our larger response is on our facebook page surprisingly. We have maybe 15 confirmed and another 20 or so "maybe" there. We only have 5 over on AiB, and then there's this response. Considering we have about 2 weeks before the tournament, my boss wanted to let people know now that if we would have to cap at 64 just to be safe, and that if we get close to the cap, we'd have to try to break it down to a few hours Sat/Sun (or possibly Fri/Sat or Fri/Sat/Sun if it's more convenient for people) so it doesn't run all day and disrupt business.

We wont be running doubles. Sorry guys. We may do another doubles for our next Smash Tournament though when that comes up again.

The fee is technically all venue since the store is giving away a prize. I think it's technically run this way for legal issues (makes it fund raising and giving away a promotion rather than gambling).

We wont have space for more setups unfortunately. We have 5 TVs, which are flat-screens, but we're going to run Wii's with component cables to reduce the lag as far as possible. I don't know if you guys know 24 and Seraph, but they were at the last Melee tournament here and didn't have any lag complaints (no one at our last tournament did actually, and we had over 40 people. It's a good sign since we have a dedicated Melee setup on a gamecube during store hours that people can play on that lags really hard). I think running it this way, there would be 1-2 frames of lag at the most, which isn't really noticeable (I don't notice it, but I know it's there), though I feel you guys and wish we could just run a bunch of CRTs. It's just not possible with the logistics.

It'll have to just be a double elimination bracket the whole way through. Pools will take too long for us.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
so what i've heard from others, and judging from the flat screen tv setups/who's interested/etc., i hear this is sort of like a mini arcadian tourney :) ...unless wes or kouryuu enter of course >.<

cyclone248i

Smash Journeyman
TVs on the right side of the store are fine with the cables.

Left side not so much.

tourney WILL reach cap because there will be a surprising amount of casuals.
Good luck, Wes/Baka. I got school but ill try to pop in towards the end : D

baka4moé

Smash Champion
I believe Jkun said he was planning to host another arcadian on pound weekend, but he hasnt posted anything so, idk... i do know there will be a third installment eventually though.

also, TheRealBobMan, a few things.
First, have you guys decided on an official starting time? Is it 10am? And if so, does that mean we should be there even earlier, like 930, to register, or does registration start at 10?
Second, will there be any prizes for 2nd and 3rd (maybe even 4th), like possibly a portion of the money pot, or at least store credit? Just wondering, since there's gonna be a lot of entrants rite?
Finally, i think it is worth noting in the op that the tvs will have some lag. im not trying to bash the tourney or anything (i think i'll probably still go anyway since it's close to me), but i think that the competitive smashers should know what they're getting into before deciding to travel here (which is totally fine, as im guessing this is geared more towards casuals, judging from what 24 said). Just a suggestion. :)

Lovage

Smash Hero
start at 11 or 12 and i'll probably go

and the entry fee is really steep for a winner take all tourny
just saying

baka4moé

Smash Champion
^ this.

yeah wes u r probably right, 24 is a pretty reliable source. but i mean they're still flat screens...i guess we'll see this weekend. and how am i supposed to reach you dude? i tried pming you about smashing sometime and you never responded..
also, i hope they seed brackets, lol i don't wanna play you or lovage right away >.<

i guess 10am is fine if it has to be done, i'll be there :)

TheRealBobMan

Smash Rookie
We need confirmation of entrants as soon as possible. If we have a ton of people show up the day of, we might be forced to cap at 32, whereas we're capping at 64 right now. If we hit 32 ahead of time, we'll run 2 days (Sat/Sun) and go with the cap at 64. Let us know as soon as possible if you're sure you can make it, or sign up in the store. We don't want to have to turn people away the day of the tournament.

Though to be honest, if we're barely over 32, I'd let people in past the cap, but if it's more than 1 or 2 or people show up late, I wont be able to do anything. Sign ups + seeding will probably take up to 30 minutes to just confirm that everyone is in and accounted for, so you might be safe if you're a little late.

I really never use this website - I'm on AiB if you need to get ahold of me, same account name. I realize that it's steep entry, but some elements of this tournament are out of my hands (considering it's a pass to E3, I figure should still be ok. I'm still personally trying to work on something I can do for 2nd and 3rd, even if it's next to nothing, though I can't guarantee anything as it'd come out of my pocket and I'm not in the best financial shape as it is).

Sorry I can't start it later, but this tournament is run out of a store and it's business, so we can't have it interfere with the store's normal operation.

So, if you know for sure that you're going, can you post again and confirm it? Even if you can't make it in, I'll take that as a for sure, at least up to the point where you're late to make it for sign ups and there are other people that want you spot, lol.

WHA?

Smash Ace
hey can i get a ride with anyone???
j666? nes? (u guys goin?)

ill pitch in gas $$$$
im in northridge(818), i can head to ur place if ur in van nuys or even burbank (i think bus can take me)

but yea ill head over to you, it doesnt gotta be a pickup,
anyone?

MoP

Smash Rookie
You know...I think I'll give it a shot. I really wanna go to E3 and I wanna pick up Melee again. I actually logged in this week for the first time in years. I used to play with someone known as "Tofu". I dunno if some of you may know him or not. But I'm in. I didn't read the entire post or thread so I'll re-read it tomorrow to see what I have to do to sign up.

Top Bottom