• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will you be "looking up" how to unlock characters?

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Yes. After playing for like 10 hours or more I will. So definitely but not right away. Starting with Ness if he's locked.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'll play the game for a couple of days. And if I have not unlocked them all by then I'll look them up in the limited edition printed game guide I will pre-order as soon as we get a date for SSB WiiU

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Ofc I want to unlock them all as soon as possible. But like with trophies, I don't wanna "buy" them open with coins. I think that's the only thing I dislike about the game so far. That you can get the trophies much easier. So I really hope this wont be the case with characters too. Ruins part of the fun with Smash. And yeah I know I don't have to do it but I think it's just bad design.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I will not be looking them up. Unlock methods are the only thing about the game that I do not want to know prior to playing it. :)

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Never looked up guides for any smash game and never will. I unlock characters by beating the game 100%.

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
I'll try my best not to. However if I go too long without unlocking a character..
I may look it up >.<

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I'll probably do as I did in brawl and pump in the necessary hours in multiplayer to unlock everything.
Unlocking sonic in a day showed me just how much free Time I actually have.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I'll play without spoilers for a few days, until I start going a while without unlocking characters. After I get bored, if I haven't unlocked all my favorite characters yet, I'll totally look them up.

I like to be surprised sometimes, but I really don't care that much.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I sure will. I want everyone unlocked as soon as possible, so I can figure out who I'm maining.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I won't. I said I wasn't going to in Brawl, then I completed SSE in one sitting immediately when I got the game, only to find that it unlocked all the characters for me (minus Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf) without the "Warning: Challenger Approaching" message and fight. It was sorta disappointing.

Marcusjll

Smash Cadet
I'll admit, it might take out the fun in knowing. But I reckon I will. As Japan learn everything, I won't be able to stay away from all the new stuff and unlockables. If it was being released the same day, similar to X and Y, I might be a little better.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I'll just play through the game hoping I unlock characters that way. After I beat Classic and Adventure(?) with all characters on medium, I'll check for the UNLOCK METHODS ONLY to unlock the remaining characters.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I will do anything and everything to have every single bit of the game unlocked in terms of stages and characters.

Equipment and trophies though I'll do on my own.
I'll do this. If unlocking criteria is on smashbros.com again, I'll look it up. You can find stage criteria in the challenges menu.

Metarai

Smash Apprentice
I'll try and not spoil it for me. I don't know if I can. Might peek for my favorite characters though.

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
I will look up whether or not every character can be unlocked by strictly playing versus matches. If this is the case, then I will simply play and watch as they are revealed naturally.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't plan to, but unfortunately chances are I will get to know how to unlock characters unwillingly.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Since this will be the first time I play "Smash 4", I will not do that. I'd rather play around and get a surprise from "New Challanger" instead of looking it up... But in a few years if I ever decide to restart the game or after I complete the game, I might look it up for research purposes to see different ways to unlock the character like Brawl had. But most likley I will just use "Smash/Brawl/Normal Matches" so so many rounds to unlock everyone first time around ~

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
how unlock megaman, everyone else yolo, for next 20 hours..

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I want to know how to unlock Ganondorf. Aside from that, I want to experience the unlocking as blind as possible. My female doesn't like Jigglypuff, so I will also try to find out how you unlock Jiggs so I can tell her not to do whatever the requirement is (assuming it is something other than "beat classic mode".

Going off of previous games, it's not like it is hard to figure out how to unlock some characters anyway.

For example, the most likely methods to test would be:
- Playing every mode as Mario, Bowser, all Zelda characters, Fox, Marth, and Pit/Palutena.
- Beat Classic mode without continuing, as fast as possible, without dying, on harder difficulties, 3-stock, etc.
- Beat all the Multi-Man Smash modes.
- Aim for high scores in the minigames.
- Try every character once in any mode.
- Play All-Star after you've stressed all of those options.

At that point, you'll have likely done all the obvious requirements. From there, you just play Smash Run, Versus and try unlocking more trophies to see if they get you anything.

The easiest method is to just spam Vs. Mode. You'll just naturally unlock characters there without even needing to think about it. Hell, in Brawl, you already had 4 characters after only 22 matches (with 15 of them being on Shadow Moses).

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'll certainly try my best to unlock everyone on my own, but there will be a few characters that, if unlockables, will get the better of me and send me flying into the computer room looking for answers. :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I said way before that I would completely shut my internet activities for anything smash related after it's known.

The problem is the month gap making this impossible. Even if college steals a lot of time, a month is quite a lot especially for how much I like this site.

Also, that was before I became OP of the Paper Mario thread. I realise that if he gets confirmed, there's no way I can't know everything because managing this thread as a general thread is really a dream so I can't let the thread without fancy OP edit :) I'll still have to be around and so, would likely be aware of everyone unlock method way before release in NA. The thing is, if he's deconfirmed, I still have to stay there because of the stage that so far is likely to have hidden info.

Short: there's no way I can't be aware how to unlock everyone since I'll be too interested to stay here and not quit for a month. Maybe I could be ok for a week if Paper Mario would have been deconfirmed, but now, both case means I'll stay. Waiting a month is too much to not go here. Plus, it would be the most crazy time since lots of dreams would get crushed and others would hype a lot. Anf the Ridley thread...never forget about this thread.

So, yes because it will happen eventually.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I remember reading the Official Nintendo magazine back in the day, and there I found out how to unlock Ness in Smash Bros 64... Good times. <3

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm going to do that asap, at least for characters I care about. Jigglypuff is absolutely necessary for me to try as early as possible, and since me and my brother have a Captain Falcon vs Ganondorf rivalry going many years back we'll also have to find out how to unlock the Dorf.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I'm going to do that asap, at least for characters I care about. Jigglypuff is absolutely necessary for me to try as early as possible, and since me and my brother have a Captain Falcon vs Ganondorf rivalry going many years back we'll also have to find out how to unlock the Dorf.
Going out on a limb here and say that to unlock Jigglypuff you need to beat classic mode once. ;-P

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
I really want to go dark when Smash comes out in Japan so any final surprises will be, well, just that but I don't see that happening. Be it my curiosity, impatience, boredom or just coming across it on social network sites a month is a long time. If I do go without seeing the whole roster though I'll just play until I can't seem to unlock anyone anymore then ask a friend for the methods but without them telling me who the character is.

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
I'll wait a week or two trying to unlock as many as I can. Afterwards, I'm going to see how to unlock everyone.

D

Deleted member

Of course. I want to unlock every character and stage as soon as possible.

Top Bottom