• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will you be "looking up" how to unlock characters?

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Will you look up how to unlock the characters in the new Smash Bros? I am going to try my best not to, just because it is so exciting to see to randomly see "NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING" and the shadow of the character after a battle. I know that there will come a point when there is a few left and I will eventually search how to unlock them, but I am going to wait as long as possible to do that. What will you guys be doing?

D

Deleted member

No. I want to fumble around like an idiot trying to unlock everything.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Truly, I was only surprised by that "Challenger Approaching" screen by a few characters in Melee, such as Ganondorf, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. In Brawl, I wasn't surprised by any of them since Lord Sakurai decided to give away all the characters.

Similarly I probably won't be surprised so I might just look them up again, or Sakurai will give away how to unlock the characters on the official website like he did with Brawl.

It loses some of the charm when trying to unlock the characters but it's impossible to not be spoiled in this day and age.

I'm going to play the 3DS version, so I'm sure I'll have everyone unlocked after I do a few Classic mode runs. —U— So probably not.

Morbi

Scavenger
It depends on how I feel right before release, I want to be surprised, but at the same time, I might just want to map out the most efficient way to unlock everyone so that I might try them. It would be nice to just try different modes and unlock characters, but the main roster will have been "spoiled" at that point in time. So it is not a great loss for me to figure out how to get them.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Nope, I will play through like I did with Brawl. Unless I am down to one character that I have no clue how to unlock, I won't

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Truly, I was only surprised by that "Challenger Approaching" screen by a few characters in Melee, such as Ganondorf, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. In Brawl, I wasn't surprised by any of them since Lord Sakurai decided to give away all the characters.

Similarly I probably won't be surprised so I might just look them up again, or Sakurai will give away how to unlock the characters on the official website like he did with Brawl.

It loses some of the charm when trying to unlock the characters but it's impossible to not be spoiled in this day and age.
Yeah i agree with all the leaks and stuff on the internet its nearly impossible to keep it a surprise nowadays.

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I'll likely look up how to unlock my mains if they're locked, but that's it; unless I find interest in another character.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I want 'em all. It's still satisfying to see the "Challenger Approaching" sign - it means I've finally breached that arbitrary requirement and now get to beat and use someone else.

By September 14th I expect to know all the unlocks. No point in keeping myself in the dark when having the roster available is half the appeal.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Stumbling around like an idiot seems like the way to go this time around. Unless they're incredibly hard to unlock (looking at you three :younglinkmelee::mewtwomelee::gawmelee:), I'll be just playing a bunch of matches with some friends / play some single-player modes in my free time.

Thing is, I'll probably know them all in a week or so anyway, but it's always fun to see which ones are easy to unlock and which ones are simple.

ImReallyFeelingIt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sailings
I'll likely look up how to unlock my mains if they're locked, but that's it unless I find interest in another character.
That's pretty much me. But usually I don't try to look up how to unlock characters unless it's a method that'd I probably wouldn't think it'd be (like SSE).

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
By the time the game comes out here I'll likely have accidentally found out the unlocks for all, or at least most, of them

Last edited:

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
It depends on how I feel right before release, I want to be surprised, but at the same time, I might just want to map out the most efficient way to unlock everyone so that I might try them.
This...

Since we will know the final roster, maybe the way of combining that two feelings is a spoiler free unlock chart, that only says the method without indication of what character you are getting...

Khao

Smash Lord
I will if I play for a while and I'm still missing someone. I think I'll give in in like a week.

But before that happens, I'll be trying things out for myself.

D

Deleted member

This...

Since we will know the final roster, maybe the way of combining that two feelings is a spoiler free unlock chart, that only says the method without indication of what character you are getting...
I was actually thinking of something on the order of that, though what I personally had in mind is that I'd get someone who knows the unlock methods for the characters to list them for me without telling me the characters each method unlocks just to mix it up this time (always knew who I was trying to unlock before I unlocked them).

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
This...

Someone should actually make that; I'd totally be down for doing that, myself. It was cool unlocking the characters in Melee through various modes, though knowing who I was getting ahead of time made the more annoying ones even more so (Mewtwo in particular, since I never cared for the way he played).

Last edited:

Meleefan

Smash Cadet
I'd much rather just unlock hidden characters without any sort of assistance. In my opinion, it invigorates the level of uncertainty and gives a greater sensation of reward when you unlock a character, without prior knowledge. It would return the form of childlike wonder when I played Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl and subsequently give me a sense of fulfillment in the most difficult to the most rudimentary completion of tasks within the entirety of the game.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I'll probably look up how to unlock :4robinm: if I haven't gotten him within the first week of release. Other than that, I'd rather unlock everything myself.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna look up how to unlock a few characters that I really want to play as after a few days of playing the game, but nothing right away, except for maybe who's unlocked last by playing so many regular matches.

bloodyshadow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8060-5220
It is always a dilemma but I feel like actually having to execute and accomplish the feat of getting the chance to unlock a character is effort enough that looking up exactly how isn't as cheap as it may initially feel.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I'll see how to unlock the characters I want to play most as, then flail around trying to meet the unlock conditions for the rest of the roster.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I'm a spoiled brat and want all the characters day one so yes. Unlocking characters is still fun regardless of whether or not it makes my blood boil. Really close matches are better at that anyway.

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
Set to one life, keep jumping off.

I'll end up looking it up in order to figure out the order they're unlocked that way.

Busterbie

Smash Cadet
It depends on if there is a straightfoward way to unlock characters like in brawl. Otherwise i'll look it up.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I'll only look it up if I have a really tough time trying to unlock a certain character. Otherwise I'll just go with the flow.

Besides, I'll be watching streams of the game when it releases in Japan...so surely I'll spoil how to unlock a few characters off rip.

bloodyshadow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8060-5220
I know a lot of people just want the characters right off the bat. Hell, people a majority seem to be against the idea of locked characters in general because they want to bring the game to a friend's house or something. I understand that, but, to me, there's nothing more satisfying than looking at a roster screen and thinking "yeah... I EARNED this."

It's really rewarding.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Probably. I don't care much about anything except multiplayer.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I've played enough Smash to know how to unlock everyone without looking it up lol. Plus there's hints in-game thanks to the challenges.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I'll look up how to unlock the characters I use first, then using those characters I will unlock other characters without looking it up.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Nope, that'll pretty much be the one mystery I'm leaving myself. It'll force me into giving other characters a try I figure, and it'll be neat to just play without the specific goal of unlocking anything.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I will personally just play the game and hope I unlock things.

If it starts getting to the point where I'm not getting anyone when I know I don't have anyone unlocked, then I will probably look stuff up.

D

Deleted member 245254

I will do anything and everything to have every single bit of the game unlocked in terms of stages and characters.

Equipment and trophies though I'll do on my own.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I would like to just play vs. mode until I have everyone unlocked because i think thats the most exciting way, but you must play so many matches to get the mewtwos, ganondorfs, etc. I am going to try to set it to 1-life and unlock everyone doing that.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'll probably look up how to unlock :4robinm: if I haven't gotten him within the first week of release. Other than that, I'd rather unlock everything myself.
There are leaked Japanese images that show Robin's a starter on the roster.

I'll only look up how to unlock :4lucina: and any other mains that are locked; I'm gonna fumble around like a moron otherwise.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
There are leaked Japanese images that show Robin's a starter on the roster.

I'll only look up how to unlock :4lucina: and any other mains that are locked; I'm gonna fumble around like a moron otherwise.
Really? Well, now my answer is just "no" to the thread topic.

I was really confident that Robin would be unlockable...

Top Bottom