• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will SSB4 force us to use the Wiimotes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintendoGuy7

Smash Rookie
Seeing as how the Wii U isn't backwards compatible with the Gamecube, but the Wii instead, will that rule out using Gamecube controllers for it?
I really never got use to using the Wii mote at all, I always used the Gamecube controllers.
If I have to though, I wouldn't mind using the Wii mote.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ive had plenty of practice with the classic controller so im not worried about no game cube pads

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I dunno about that, people liked the circle pad pro for 3DS. I still prefer the GCN controller though, it will always be my most comfortable controller. But Wii U doesn't even have GameCube support, lame.
Can't blame them. It's not backwards compatible with GC games. Would be pointless to make it GC controller compatible when you can't even play GC games.

Plus the classic controller is similar enough that the transition won't be that hard. (I transitioned on Brawl. Took some practice but I saw this coming)

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Can't blame them. It's not backwards compatible with GC games. Would be pointless to make it GC controller compatible when you can't even play GC games.

Plus the classic controller is similar enough that the transition won't be that hard. (I transitioned on Brawl. Took some practice but I saw this coming)
Actually, you could blame them because they said the Wii U is supposed to be backwards compatible with most of the Wii's games, and we know some of those games were compatible with the GC controller. Some Wii games even played better with it. I'm pretty sure Brawl would be one of the playable games. In fact, the Wii U is also supposed to have virtual console GC games too, so there's really no excuse as to why it shouldn't at least give the option again.

Still, the Wii U pro looks promising enough for Smash 4 at the very least if we don't ever get some type of GC pro type controller.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
But there are a few Wii games that need the GC ports for accessories, like the DDR games.

I said a few, not many.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Actually, you could blame them because they said the Wii U is supposed to be backwards compatible with most of the Wii's games, and we know some of those games were compatible with the GC controller. Some Wii games even played better with it. I'm pretty sure Brawl would be one of the playable games. In fact, the Wii U is also supposed to have virtual console GC games too, so there's really no excuse as to why it shouldn't at least give the option again.

Still, the Wii U pro looks promising enough for Smash 4 at the very least if we don't ever get some type of GC pro type controller.
I guess you can blame them, but it's likely not going to change anything. Not sure how they are going to address the wii games that use GC controllers, but I'm just saying to not get your hopes up.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Next people will want N64 controller ports so they can play Smash 64 on the Virtual Console.
The GC controller works just fine for Smash 64 and if melee makes it too the virtual console it shouldn't be too difficult to transition over to the Pro controller.

The wii games compatible with gamecube controllers are also compatible with classic controllers.

Just hope they add pressure sensitive triggers to the Pro controller like the GC controller has. The harder you pressed on the triggers affected the shield's size in melee, not sure how they'd simulate that with l and r buttons.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity has GCN Controller support, but you can't use the Wii Classic Controller. I know that it isn't that great of a game, but I'm just stating which games are affected by the GCN support removal.

Zero-X

Smash Rookie
Eh, if the second analog stick on the WiiU Pro Controller acts as a C-Stick, it's going to be really awkward. Nintendo was never good at designing controllers, except for the Gamecube controller.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Eh, if the second analog stick on the WiiU Pro Controller acts as a C-Stick, it's going to be really awkward. Nintendo was never good at designing controllers, except for the Gamecube controller.
Are you nuts? The N64 controller was amazing! *looks at my sore hand from playing Pedal Power and Tug War in Mario Party*

Yep, amazing.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Nintendo has always been the best at designing controllers... N64, GC and Wii were awesome controllers. The Wii controller is really good when the game is not using the motion gaming. (ex. Xenoblade. It feels so good to have two independant hands while playing).

Well to be honest 3DS scared me quite a bit about what Nintendo is still capable of doing, but still. The WiiU GamePab actually looks very promising, as does the pro controller.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Next people will want N64 controller ports so they can play Smash 64 on the Virtual Console.
The GC controller works just fine for Smash 64 and if melee makes it too the virtual console it shouldn't be too difficult to transition over to the Pro controller.

The wii games compatible with gamecube controllers are also compatible with classic controllers.

Just hope they add pressure sensitive triggers to the Pro controller like the GC controller has. The harder you pressed on the triggers affected the shield's size in melee, not sure how they'd simulate that with l and r buttons.

Yea, but those people can't be justified because that's just one game and only for its own system. I've never seen much demand for N64 controller support outside of Smash 64. GC controllers, however, is preferable on many Wii games and not just only for its own content. Also, not all Wii games support the classic controller despite having GC support, like Sonic and The Secret Rings for example. Still, the Wii U pro looks like it should be a good replacement.

About the Wii U triggers, well considering the fact it's pretty much a carbon copy of the 360 controller scheme and how that controller has pressure sensitive L and R triggers, that might give a sign that the pro might have the same triggers. Not the best source of evidence, but it gives hope, haha.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Am I the only person on these forums who prefers the wiimote+nunchunk combo for Brawl. It's been bothering me for a while actually how it all seems to surround the game-cube controller on these forums.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Am I the only person on these forums who prefers the wiimote+nunchunk combo for Brawl. It's been bothering me for a while actually how it all seems to surround the game-cube controller on these forums.
Yes. Yes you are. :troll:

I think it's partly because people are just used to Smash, and because the game was so built around the GC controller.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I find the controller difficult for the fast movement. Melee is one of the only proper games for the gamecube where you need to really concentrate on quick things. Pikmin 1/2 are really laid-back really. The closest thing I own would be either eggo mania or the T-4 game for the GCN (the games with Ty in them.)

Zero-X

Smash Rookie
Nintendo has always been the best at designing controllers... N64, GC and Wii were awesome controllers. The Wii controller is really good when the game is not using the motion gaming. (ex. Xenoblade. It feels so good to have two independant hands while playing).

Well to be honest 3DS scared me quite a bit about what Nintendo is still capable of doing, but still. The WiiU GamePab actually looks very promising, as does the pro controller.
Well, I'm just saying I'm not sure how well any of their controllers will do when playing SSB4. Ah well, Nintendo will make a way for it to work, like they always somehow manage to do.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I find the controller difficult for the fast movement. Melee is one of the only proper games for the gamecube where you need to really concentrate on quick things. Pikmin 1/2 are really laid-back really. The closest thing I own would be either eggo mania or the T-4 game for the GCN (the games with Ty in them.)
Nothing about Pikmin was designed for the Wii controls. The level design, enemy AI, and puzzles were all made with the gamecube controls in mind, and no changes were even made to any of it to accommodate the ability to throw while running away or whistle 80, well I guess inches, away. Directing Pikmin becomes a mess since you have to zoom the camera out (with the fickle Wii D-Pad) in order to move the cursor down far enough, lest the wii remote go out of bounds for the sensor and spaz out.

It's like Nintendo makes a game and just decides controls for it afterward, rather than integrating them into the game itself. It's just bad design and it shows up a lot in the homogenized mess that is the Mario franchise after Sunshine. Rather than expanding on the previous game and working with the new mechanics offered by a new controller, we get an entire budget spent on gravity physics and shiny graphics instead of a ****ing game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I used the wiimote nunchaku for Brawl, and the one thing I loved about and what I came to love about arcade sticks. The buttons, at least with my settings, were where I had a finger for every function save for A and jump which were shared with the thumb. It'd be nice if I could use an arcade stick for Smash, but very few, if any, arcade sticks actually have analog sticks.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Nothing about Pikmin was designed for the Wii controls. The level design, enemy AI, and puzzles were all made with the gamecube controls in mind, and no changes were even made to any of it to accommodate the ability to throw while running away or whistle 80, well I guess inches, away. Directing Pikmin becomes a mess since you have to zoom the camera out (with the fickle Wii D-Pad) in order to move the cursor down far enough, lest the wii remote go out of bounds for the sensor and spaz out.

It's like Nintendo makes a game and just decides controls for it afterward, rather than integrating them into the game itself. It's just bad design and it shows up a lot in the homogenized mess that is the Mario franchise after Sunshine. Rather than expanding on the previous game and working with the new mechanics offered by a new controller, we get an entire budget spent on gravity physics and shiny graphics instead of a ****ing game.
I didn't say that Pikmin was anything like designed with the Wii controls in mind, I said that the game-cube controller wasn't used as fitting as it could (I'm guessing) since it didn't work very well really. And yes, Sunshine was the best mario game, simply because
It's f****** amazing
the games afterwards didn't hold too much competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom