• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will NX have Smash 4?

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
NX will have Smash 4.
Just like Smash 4 is multi-platform with 3DS, character wise and mechanically, NX will follow suit.
It will have upresed graphics, new stages and side events, but identical game mechanics and character roster.
Smash 4 with DLC is Nintendo long term Smash solution, console, and portable.

Any character or mechanical changes will be DLC, if Sakurai wants to reinvent the game, it will be introduced as a Special Smash mode, or new custom move option.
Smash 4 is designed in such a way that there is no need to create a new Smash Bros., and in doing so will unite 1 Smash Community sharing the same discussion instead of segregated communities talking about play styles and techniques applicable to only one iteration of the series (Melee fans & streamers vs Brawl, Smash4, etc.). This is also why Nintendo opted against a title for Smash 4, instead calling it Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Super Smash Bros. for NX, Super Smash Bros for NX Portable. implying it's the same game, across multiple platforms.

With additions of characters like Ryu, Cloud, Sonic, Megaman, Solid Snake, etc, especially when franchise licensing can be so be so fickle (as Smash has seen with Solid Snake's disappearance after license agreements with Konami were unable to be renewed), taking a LTS (Long Term Support) route makes sure the ultimate playground debate; "who would win in a fight between..", can carry over, so even our next generation can "settle it in Smash"!

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
sorry if that wasn't clear, this is me giving my reasoning that this is how smash will be on NX, it's not an official release, but speculation.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Considering it is of speculatory nature, it has been moved to the NintenZone.

Khao

Smash Lord
I actually kinda agree. I don't think they'll just drop support for this game so soon. If they did want to make an entirely new Smash for the NX, I doubt they'd start the development anytime soon considering we're still getting new content on Wii U/3DS. So at this point, a new Smash would either come ridiculously late into the NX's lifetime, or be stupidly rushed and lacking in both content and polish.

Making a fancy re-release for NX containing all the DLC just seems logical. They'd probably want to push for exclusive content too, but I doubt we're getting a game made from scratch. I'm expecting a overhaul of menus and game modes at most, and a completely new name (considering that they probably won't be using the name of the old consoles anymore) but the core game will remain the same. I don't even know if I'd expect a graphical overhaul, there's not much you can do to this game without drastically changing the visual style or making all the assets from scratch, and seeing how it's 1080p 60fps, there's not exactly much room for improving performace either.

Obviously, this is all pretty much just baseless speculation. For all we know, they could very well already be working on a new Smash for the NX.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think the NX is a console of its own, at least entirely. Smash 4 will probably just be cross-platform.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd rather it wasn't. One of the PS4's issues is that a significant amount of its relevant library are super HD versions of games that came out relatively recently. The last thing the NX needs is a library consisting of Wii U ports.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'd rather it wasn't. One of the PS4's issues is that a significant amount of its relevant library are super HD versions of games that came out relatively recently. The last thing the NX needs is a library consisting of Wii U ports.
A big reason why that happened is because there's a surprisingly significant portion of the PS4 userbase that never had a PS3.

And I can pretty much guarantee that will also be the case with the NX. A lot of people, hardocre Nintendo fans even are holding out on buying a Wii U because the NX might be backwards compatible, or because some games might be released for both platforms anyway. If new and better versions of Wii U games are released for NX, they'll go for those instead.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There's going to be a Smash 5.

Do you know how much money Smash makes? It makes a TON. OF. MONEY. It constantly tops the charts, and there's no actual season to cut the series short.

I mean, they're opening a Ballot; obviously, there's more characters to add, for one, that they'll consider based off the Ballot, most likely.

That said, why would Smash 4 be rereleased? 64 wasn't. Melee wasn't. Brawl wasn't. Why now, suddenly?

I mean, it's extremely likely we'll have backwards compatibility, yes, but I don't see why we'll need a rerelease if that's the case.

DLC support for a long time is very much possible, yes, but I don't think it's gonna last like 3 years like you seem to imply. Here's a small thing; Nintendo seems to love the competitive scene for Smash, so would they not want it to eventually settle and not take 4 years to?

DualX

Smash Apprentice
Why don't we go one step further?

Along with the recent Nintendo Direct, and announcing Cloud, they also mentioned a special broadcast in December. I'm going to go ahead and make a hopeful prediction as to what they could do on it.

A Super Smash Bros Collection. An all in one disc (aside from Smash 4 that could just be a secondary disc) from N64 to Melee to Brawl to include a fully functional online multiplayer for all games. Not only that, but this would be the perfect time to officially allow Project M to be a part of the package along with 20XX TE/SD Remix options for Melee as well.

This is where they will also show off the top voted character that will go into Smash 4. And to finish, they will finally announce how Smash 4 will be made more technically viable and faster to boot.

This all came from an idea after reading up some articles wondering what Nintendo's actual stance was on Project M. I then found this which was posted a year ago...and it seems they are intrigued by Project M and the community that has grown from it. But yeah, that would be pretty awesome to have on the NX, or the Wii U even.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Interesting i was just thinking about this the other day!

Though Rather, i was wondering if the NX would be getting its own 'proper' smash. I mean it should right?
But with the wiiu getting kinda 'axed' a year or two short i feel like a smash 5 would be too close to smash 4 and with its updates and dlc probably going to be at least going for another 6 months to a year...i just don't see Nintendo trying to 'milk' the franchise like that at this point.

I definitely think we will see some form of future content tor smash4 on NX. =) whether its backwards compatible or not. they simply have to do something for their praised franchise here. But who knows! Like someone else said here maybe they will go for it and make another one quicker than usual (like in 4 years instead of 6) Only time will tell. maybe nintendo won't exist by then. lel jk

Khao

Smash Lord
That said, why would Smash 4 be rereleased? 64 wasn't. Melee wasn't. Brawl wasn't. Why now, suddenly?
My logic is that the Wii U will likely be dead in just a year, yet we're still getting new content for Smash.

How long will we keep getting new content? Yeah, most likely not three years. But one? Half?

Will work on the next game start while they're still creating content for the new one?

And there's another thing, and that's the ridiculous amount of characters we have now.

Brawl had 39 characters total. One of the first things we learned about Smash Wii U/3DS is that it wasn't going to focus all that much on increasing the number on characters, because Brawl had already reached that point where the amount of work for new characters was simply too much.

Welp, the game comes out, DLC happens, and now we have 52 characters. 55 if we count the extra movesets for the Mii Fighters (though back to 52 once again considering the three clones that don't require nearly as much work as the rest of the cast). After we get Cloud, and at least one ballot character, that number jumps to 54-57, and that's if we only get a single ballot character and DLC just stops there (though I wouldn't be all that surprised to be fair)

How far will they have to go with a new game so that it doesn't feel underwhelmingly lacking in content? 60 characters? Matching the last game will not be enough for most people.

How long will the development of such a game take?

Still, anything could happen. Like I said, maybe they're already working on the next Smash, which would give them more than enough time to release it at a decent spot in the NX's lifetime.

(This is all assuming that the NX comes out next year, by the way. If it's actually a 2017 system, then I don't think there's anything to worry about.)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My logic is that the Wii U will likely be dead in just a year, yet we're still getting new content for Smash.

How long will we keep getting new content? Yeah, most likely not three years. But one? Half?

Will work on the next game start while they're still creating content for the new one?

And there's another thing, and that's the ridiculous amount of characters we have now.

Brawl had 39 characters total. One of the first things we learned about Smash Wii U/3DS is that it wasn't going to focus all that much on increasing the number on characters, because Brawl had already reached that point where the amount of work for new characters was simply too much.

Welp, the game comes out, DLC happens, and now we have 52 characters. 55 if we count the extra movesets for the Mii Fighters (though back to 52 once again considering the three clones that don't require nearly as much work as the rest of the cast). After we get Cloud, and at least one ballot character, that number jumps to 54-57, and that's if we only get a single ballot character and DLC just stops there (though I wouldn't be all that surprised to be fair)

How far will they have to go with a new game so that it doesn't feel underwhelmingly lacking in content? 60 characters? Matching the last game will not be enough for most people.

How long will the development of such a game take?

Still, anything could happen. Like I said, maybe they're already working on the next Smash, which would give them more than enough time to release it at a decent spot in the NX's lifetime.

(This is all assuming that the NX comes out next year, by the way. If it's actually a 2017 system, then I don't think there's anything to worry about.)
And NX is more then likely a 2017 system.

"Sure, let's start giving news about a console..then release it the same year." Not sure that's how business works.

Will work start on the next game while they're making content? Absolutely not. Smash has a release schedule of 6 years, we've passed 1 year, we now have 5 years to go. If it's even that.

And even if they only add like 10 new characters in the next Smash, fans will still buy the heck out of it. We'll get much more new content then stages; a ton of people love Smash for the gameplay. While I love Smash because I can play as my favorite characters, the gameplay and stage choices are some of my favorite parts about it.

Development of the game will take maybe half a year more then Smash's took, possibly. Maybe even more. But they'll most likely reveal it late so it seems like it's coming out relatively soon.

I personally expect 3 more Ballot character's excluding Wolf. That will leave us with 59. Then we could get one more, like Pichu as a bonus, and we'll have 60 characters to last us years while they work on the next Smash.

I think NX should get it's own proper Smash. Having Smash on a Nintendo console is tradition by now, and NX looks to be one of the biggest Nintendo consoles yet.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
No, no, no.

This is a stupid move. Nintendo needs a new Smash in 2019 to celebrate the 20th anniversary, why not focus on making a new game than wasting resources on a port? These assumptions are going way out of hand.
If you want a Wii U game, buy a Wii U. The next console needs to have its own games in order to succeed, not "enhanced ports" of Wii U and 3DS games.

And the NX is likely to launch in 2017, anyone who thinks they will rush a new console next year and include numerous Wii U ports (like Zelda) needs to read more about Nintendo's history. They simply can't kill Wii U like that or they will lose potential buyers for the next console.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I pretty much think Smash NX should just be Smash Wii U/3DS combined together, and then adding onto it.

There is just no reason to rebuild the game from the ground up. This was fine with the last few games as the hardware took significant leaps and the entire architecture of the consoles changed, plus once they released the game, they had no such thing as content updates to work with. But I don't think the NX will be much of a deviation from the Wii U in terms of architecture, as the Wii U architecture is great (note: horsepower and architecture are not the same thing), so there's no real reason to build a whole new game from scratch.

Besides that though, mechanics wise, Smash Wii U/3DS have the best balance in the series. Most people seem to be satisfied with it, and I definitely haven't noticed such a big rift between Smash Wii U/3DS fans and Melee fans as I did with Brawl fans and Melee fans (Brawl fans mostly moved onto Smash 4 too), so I think it's safe to say people are fairly satisfied with the general "feel" of Smash Wii U/3DS. There's no need to re-invent these mechanics from the ground up. They're fine the way they are. We don't need another "Brawl VS Melee" situation. If they want to add some small new mechanics to change up the gameplay, like maybe adding some tag mechanics as the big new feature, or maybe add more custom moves and general customisation mechanics, then sure that'd be awesome. But in terms of the base formula, it doesn't need another re-invention from the ground up. That's a waste of time at this point and the competitive players are really the only ones who care about that stuff to begin with (casual players will NOTICE how Smash Wii U/3DS got faster than Brawl, but they weren't taking to internet forums to whine about it really).

Building a new game from the ground up means we also more than likely lose out on a lot of the content that Smash Wii U/3DS already has, most notably, some of the fighters. Since Melee, every installment has had to cut fighters because of time constraints, and considering how huge Smash Wii U/3DS's roster is, there will DEFINITELY be cuts in a new installment, especially since DLC has been a thing. But we can avoid that if the game simply uses Smash Wii U/3DS as it's base. That way, nobody has to be cut, as the fighters are already made. They simply focus on adding like, 20 new ones, maybe include some veterans like re-implementing Ice Climbers (do keep in mind that Ice Climbers were FINISHED on the Wii U version, so this is something they can easily do, adding them as a "new character" if Smash Wii U/3DS is the base for Smash NX, is as easy as adding any of the characters actually in the Wii U/3DS roster), and the roster can easily satisfy. Same with stages and trophies and what not.

Then, they can just focus on adding some awesome new features and modes. One thing I think Smash Wii U/3DS seriously lost in the jump from Brawl, was the modes (well, specifically the single-player ones). Sure, there are a lot of modes in Smash Wii U/3DS, but most of them feel like they were made in 5 minutes and if you aren't a completionist, you won't play them for longer than 5 minutes (and if you are a completionist, you will grow to hate half of them for all of the grinding you are forced to do in them). And the ones that ARE cool, are split between the two versions, like Smash Run and Smash Tour, or the differences in Classic Mode (3DS Classic Mode is less bull**** overall and the map progression is cool, but Wii U Classic Mode has co-op and Master Fortress). The single-player experience of Smash 4 was really lackluster and wasn't all that memorable. Brawl was fantastic as a single-player experience though. Even though the game's online was botched and I didn't always have friends to play with, I still poured as much time into that game as I did because of the sheer epicness of the single-player content. So if Smash NX simply used Smash Wii U/3DS as a base, new modes could be the big focus. Specifically, I'd love to see Subspace Emissary-esque mode again, only way bigger and better.

I could go on, but the basic idea of what I want is like the jump from Dissidia to Dissidia 012. Dissidia 012 literally had EVERYTHING the first game had, improved some of that old stuff, and added TONS of more content on top of it, and while the fighting mechanics were largely the same, they added some small things here and there to spice it up, most notably the ability to call other fighters in for assist attacks to extend combos or to even use them as a combo breaker.

But yeah, I don't think we need another re-invention for Smash. I think we'd lose more than we would gain at this point in time. Just port Smash Wii U to the NX as the base, add in as much 3DS content as possible (or at least whatever works), and then start adding more new content like new characters and stages, an adventure mode, other new modes, maybe 8-player Smash online. Then touch up models, add in alternate costumes for every character, and maybe add in some small mechanics. Stuff like this could easily justify a new purchase for me.

D

Deleted member

Could happen, They want a strong launch for next year when it launches so I could see it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Could happen, They want a strong launch for next year when it launches so I could see it.
It's (hopefully) not launching next year, that's just when we're getting details.

This thread has made me realize that my biggest fear is that the NX will have a library of Wuu ports. I'm still on the fence if I'm going to get one, I'm still feeling pretty burned on the whole Wii U thing TBH.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wouldn't surprise me. If only because they'll want a strong and consistent lineup for the NX, they put a ton of work and resources into this Smash, and it will still move big numbers. If NX isn't backwards compatible I'm sure a lot of people would even buy it again.

Though I doubt they'd have new content for it. Apart maybe from the ICs and a corresponding IC stage. And that's only because they've already got a complete Wii U base to work with.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Nooo

NOOOOOO

I'm going to go and say that I think this is a horrible idea. Believe it or not, Smash can STILL go through some "evolutions". Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Smash 4 (it's actually my favorite in the series) and even though it's the sequel to the god-awful Brawl (which I hate, I can delve into that if you'd like), I didn't feel too many differences between the two.

Ok, don't get me wrong. Of COURSE there are many differences between the two, namely the graphical style, which went from the hideous over-realistic theme Brawl had to the gorgeous, cartoon-ish style we have now. But aside from that, what? They didn't add a new mode that was truly worth it. Yes, the gameplay is a little faster now and much more fluid, but... Is there anything else you would highlight? The soundtrack is pretty much the entire Brawl soundtrack with some new songs and that's about it. The voice acting? Yeah, half of the cast had their Brawl clips re-used.

... Maybe I'm just too biased because I wasn't amazed by the transition. Maybe I was expecting something HUGE like the overhaul we got when we went from 64 to Melee.

Personally, my dream is to get a Smash where absolutely EVERYTHING is brand new. Like a rebirth of the series. Only new music, only new stages, everyone gets new voice acting, several characters get their movesets 100% redone, tons of new modes that are actually useful unlike Smash Tour, and so on.

Maybe having it as a release title too? I don't know. I mean, I'm aware that's too much of a stretch for poor Sakurai, and I'm sure if they put the guy through that pressure again he will most likely die or end up in an asylum. That's why I think we should also get a new director.

finalark

SNORLAX
Personally, my dream is to get a Smash where absolutely EVERYTHING is brand new. Like a rebirth of the series. Only new music, only new stages, everyone gets new voice acting, several characters get their movesets 100% redone, tons of new modes that are actually useful unlike Smash Tour, and so on.
I like Smash Tour.

D

Deleted member

"Sure, let's start giving news about a console..then release it the same year." Not sure that's how business works.
Kind of unrelated to the conversation, but PS4 and Xbox One were announced, revealed, and released, all in the same year. Just saying. Who knows what can happen at this point?

finalark

SNORLAX
Kind of unrelated to the conversation, but PS4 and Xbox One were announced, revealed, and released, all in the same year. Just saying. Who knows what can happen at this point?
The difference between MS/Sony and Nintendo is that when the PS4 and Xbone were released both companies were supporting consoles that were both getting damn close to a decade old, were starting to stagnate and were forcing devs to make games on practically ancient hardware. The demand for an update was there for both PS and Xbox fans.

The NX and Wii U is a different story. The Wii U is only three years old (which is half of most consoles life cycles) and still has plenty of time to recover (remember how Sony managed to salvage the PS3 train wreck?). Despite its low sales, it still has a loyal following and can still grow into something special if Nintendo is willing to reevaluate their strategy and figure out what's going wrong. But that's never going to happen. Announcing the NX put the nail in the Wii U's coffin and collectively slapped every Wii U owner in the balls.

I don't know about you, but as a Wii U owner I don't think I plan on buying an NX. I mean, how long is this going to last? Is it going to be another $300+ investment that gets unsupported a year after I buy it? That's not even talking about third party. MS and Sony have a good reputation with third parties and are guaranteed that they'll be providing their userbase with software while the first party studios work on their games. With Nintendo for all we know the NX is going to get the boot within a year from third parties.

I am really, really not okay with the NX. I remember 2005, you can't use that "third pillar" BS on me, Nintendo!

D

Deleted member

I don't know about you, but as a Wii U owner I don't think I plan on buying an NX. I mean, how long is this going to last? Is it going to be another $300+ investment that gets unsupported a year after I buy it? That's not even talking about third party. MS and Sony have a good reputation with third parties and are guaranteed that they'll be providing their userbase with software while the first party studios work on their games. With Nintendo for all we know the NX is going to get the boot within a year from third parties.

I am really, really not okay with the NX. I remember 2005, you can't use that "third pillar" BS on me, Nintendo!
It would be more logical to release a new handheld instead, as was the pattern with DS -> Wii -> 3DS -> Wii U. So, using this logic, the one system that should be replaced first is the 3DS, and not the Wii U, as most people are saying. We [still] don't know what NX is going to be all about, or its form factor, so saying it'll replace the home console is just a stretch.

If developers are so unsatisfied with Nintendo's hardware, why can't they complain right to them before the finished product sees release and fix things up? That's what I don't get.

Last edited by a moderator:

finalark

SNORLAX
It would be more logical to release a new handheld instead, as was the pattern with DS -> Wii -> 3DS -> Wii U. So, using this logic, the one system that should be replaced first is the 3DS, and not the Wii U, as most people are saying. We [still] don't know what NX is going to be all about, or its form factor, so saying it'll replace the home console is just a stretch.
Honestly, I don't think it's wise to replace either console. The 3DS is doing well and has been on the market for about four years now, the original DS was around for seven. The 3DS still has plenty of room to grow and if Nintendo's smart I expect we'll be seeing it around for a long time. Really, replacing the 3DS would be a be an even bigger kick to the balls than replacing the Wii U.

Of course, as you said, we don't know what the NX is going to be aside from that it will be some console/handheld hybrid. It sounds like another one of Nintendo's weird gimmick consoles, but we'll see.

If developers are so unsatisfied with Nintendo's hardware, why can't they complain right to them before the finished product sees release and fix things up? That's what I don't get.
It's probably because consoles take a good three to four years to develop and nobody wants to throw that much time and money down the drain and hit the drawing board just because some third parties say they don't like it.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don't think it's wise to replace either console. The 3DS is doing well and has been on the market for about four years now, the original DS was around for seven. The 3DS still has plenty of room to grow and if Nintendo's smart I expect we'll be seeing it around for a long time. Really, replacing the 3DS would be a be an even bigger kick to the balls than replacing the Wii U.

Of course, as you said, we don't know what the NX is going to be aside from that it will be some console/handheld hybrid. It sounds like another one of Nintendo's weird gimmick consoles, but we'll see.

It's probably because consoles take a good three to four years to develop and nobody wants to throw that much time and money down the drain and hit the drawing board just because some third parties say they don't like it.
Correct. Given how well the 3DS is doing, I don't think it's going to be replaced anytime soon, but then again, I was just posting an example of the current release pattern they've been going with since DS came to market.

I've thought of NX more as a platform consisting of hardware ranging from multiple sizes. Pretty much what Windows 10 is going for, in a way. In that case, you wouldn't get a hybrid per se (because why would you want to play on a handheld with console internals? That would literally set fire to one's pants) two separate systems (handheld and console) that share the same architecture and software, with maybe some exclusive titles. Note that by "architecture", I'm not talking about the hardware. In that sense, you would be able to play the same games on both systems, with some differences to match their specifications.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I pretty much think Smash NX should just be Smash Wii U/3DS combined together, and then adding onto it.

There is just no reason to rebuild the game from the ground up. This was fine with the last few games as the hardware took significant leaps and the entire architecture of the consoles changed, plus once they released the game, they had no such thing as content updates to work with. But I don't think the NX will be much of a deviation from the Wii U in terms of architecture, as the Wii U architecture is great (note: horsepower and architecture are not the same thing), so there's no real reason to build a whole new game from scratch.

Besides that though, mechanics wise, Smash Wii U/3DS have the best balance in the series. Most people seem to be satisfied with it, and I definitely haven't noticed such a big rift between Smash Wii U/3DS fans and Melee fans as I did with Brawl fans and Melee fans (Brawl fans mostly moved onto Smash 4 too), so I think it's safe to say people are fairly satisfied with the general "feel" of Smash Wii U/3DS. There's no need to re-invent these mechanics from the ground up. They're fine the way they are. We don't need another "Brawl VS Melee" situation. If they want to add some small new mechanics to change up the gameplay, like maybe adding some tag mechanics as the big new feature, or maybe add more custom moves and general customisation mechanics, then sure that'd be awesome. But in terms of the base formula, it doesn't need another re-invention from the ground up. That's a waste of time at this point and the competitive players are really the only ones who care about that stuff to begin with (casual players will NOTICE how Smash Wii U/3DS got faster than Brawl, but they weren't taking to internet forums to whine about it really).

Building a new game from the ground up means we also more than likely lose out on a lot of the content that Smash Wii U/3DS already has, most notably, some of the fighters. Since Melee, every installment has had to cut fighters because of time constraints, and considering how huge Smash Wii U/3DS's roster is, there will DEFINITELY be cuts in a new installment, especially since DLC has been a thing. But we can avoid that if the game simply uses Smash Wii U/3DS as it's base. That way, nobody has to be cut, as the fighters are already made. They simply focus on adding like, 20 new ones, maybe include some veterans like re-implementing Ice Climbers (do keep in mind that Ice Climbers were FINISHED on the Wii U version, so this is something they can easily do, adding them as a "new character" if Smash Wii U/3DS is the base for Smash NX, is as easy as adding any of the characters actually in the Wii U/3DS roster), and the roster can easily satisfy. Same with stages and trophies and what not.

Then, they can just focus on adding some awesome new features and modes. One thing I think Smash Wii U/3DS seriously lost in the jump from Brawl, was the modes (well, specifically the single-player ones). Sure, there are a lot of modes in Smash Wii U/3DS, but most of them feel like they were made in 5 minutes and if you aren't a completionist, you won't play them for longer than 5 minutes (and if you are a completionist, you will grow to hate half of them for all of the grinding you are forced to do in them). And the ones that ARE cool, are split between the two versions, like Smash Run and Smash Tour, or the differences in Classic Mode (3DS Classic Mode is less bull**** overall and the map progression is cool, but Wii U Classic Mode has co-op and Master Fortress). The single-player experience of Smash 4 was really lackluster and wasn't all that memorable. Brawl was fantastic as a single-player experience though. Even though the game's online was botched and I didn't always have friends to play with, I still poured as much time into that game as I did because of the sheer epicness of the single-player content. So if Smash NX simply used Smash Wii U/3DS as a base, new modes could be the big focus. Specifically, I'd love to see Subspace Emissary-esque mode again, only way bigger and better.

I could go on, but the basic idea of what I want is like the jump from Dissidia to Dissidia 012. Dissidia 012 literally had EVERYTHING the first game had, improved some of that old stuff, and added TONS of more content on top of it, and while the fighting mechanics were largely the same, they added some small things here and there to spice it up, most notably the ability to call other fighters in for assist attacks to extend combos or to even use them as a combo breaker.

But yeah, I don't think we need another re-invention for Smash. I think we'd lose more than we would gain at this point in time. Just port Smash Wii U to the NX as the base, add in as much 3DS content as possible (or at least whatever works), and then start adding more new content like new characters and stages, an adventure mode, other new modes, maybe 8-player Smash online. Then touch up models, add in alternate costumes for every character, and maybe add in some small mechanics. Stuff like this could easily justify a new purchase for me.
I agree.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
If Smash 4 gets released with Wolf and some other stuff, I'd be sold.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

While I think 20 added characters excluding 3DS/WiiU's DLC is a bit much (maybe 10 maximum including Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers and a handful of newcomers) I'm otherwise in support of this idea.

Just make the DLC characters available in the base game of Ultimate Smash, cause I really don't want a repeat of how UMvC3's DLC is no longer available to the public because of licensing issues (to be fair that was on Marvel's behalf, not Capcom, but still)

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
With Smash 4 having both a console and handheld version, and with rumors swirling that the NX will be a combination handheld and console system, how likely do you think it would be that we would see a "definitive" version of Smash 4 released for the NX? What would you like to see in such a release, and would you buy it if it exists?

Personally, I would like it if they unified the features and maps of both versions, and included all the DLC (or at least the DLC that matters, the characters and maps) on disc/cart/download/whatever medium the NX uses. Any new characters, stages, or modes on top of that would just be gravy.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Not sure how likely it is, but I'd like to see it happen.

Obviously getting the Ice Climbers back should be the first absolute priority (unless the NX just so happens to be extremely weak or something), but I'd like to see Street Fighter and Final Fantasy to receive more proper representation akin to the other third parties in the base game, as in giving them assist trophies (I'll take Sephiroth and Akuma), more trophies in general, more music tracks and if this hypothetical NX edition included Smash Run, throw in some enemy types for those series as well.

Aside from that, I'd like to see characters like Wolf, Inklings, Chorus Kids and maybe K. Rool and/or Dixie included and if it were at all possible at this point, I'd like to see Snake come back. There's some other things like giving Cloud his actual English VA, adding a reset button to Event Mode, giving customs to all the DLC characters, more alt costumes etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I think 20 added characters excluding 3DS/WiiU's DLC is a bit much (maybe 10 maximum including Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers and a handful of newcomers) I'm otherwise in support of this idea.

Just make the DLC characters available in the base game of Ultimate Smash, cause I really don't want a repeat of how UMvC3's DLC is no longer available to the public because of licensing issues (to be fair that was on Marvel's behalf, not Capcom, but still)
I think 10 is perfectly reasonable if the choices are at least "practical". And by that, I mean just using characters that you own and there is relative demand, and not random third party characters or future pet projects.

I know it's been exactly one week since a lot of dreams died, but for God's sakes, I'm still irritated that we have to resort to this.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think 10 is perfectly reasonable if the choices are at least "practical". And by that, I mean just using characters that you own and there is relative demand, and not random third party characters or future pet projects.

I know it's been exactly one week since a lot of dreams died, but for God's sakes, I'm still irritated that we have to resort to this.
I'm not all that upset. I'm content with what we got, but feel sad over the lack of Snake, Wolf, and I would have liked to see say, Mecha-Fiora and Elma be in. Also, if NX could do away with Smash Tour and replace it with something else, as I don't think liked Smash Tour. An arcade-like story mode consisting of 1-on-1's would be nice.

Not sure how likely it is, but I'd like to see it happen.

Obviously getting the Ice Climbers back should be the first absolute priority (unless the NX just so happens to be extremely weak or something), but I'd like to see Street Fighter and Final Fantasy to receive more proper representation akin to the other third parties in the base game, as in giving them assist trophies (I'll take Sephiroth and Akuma), more trophies in general, more music tracks and if this hypothetical NX edition included Smash Run, throw in some enemy types for those series as well.

Aside from that, I'd like to see characters like Wolf, Inklings, Chorus Kids and maybe K. Rool and/or Dixie included and if it were at all possible at this point, I'd like to see Snake come back. There's some other things like giving Cloud his actual English VA, adding a reset button to Event Mode, giving customs to all the DLC characters, more alt costumes etc.
I think if the NX is superior in processing power the ICs shouldn't be a problem. An FF and SF and maybe Bayonetta series Assist Trophy (Rodin or Young Balder for the last one??) would be great too, and if Snake is included in Ultimate Smash, Gray Fox as an Assist Trophy should without a doubt return. More music would be excellent too, there's a lot of tracks I would have loved to see in. Maybe X music as well assuming there's no problems with the label being signed to Sony.

D

Deleted member

While I am very well aware hybrid rumors are out there, I honestly doubt that will be one of the main ideas (if not the main idea) behind NX as I stated before. I would rather insist it is the "same architecture and operating system" idea that's been thrown out in Reddit since September, as that kind of seems to be the case, at least to me. Let's face it: hybrids seem to be.. for lack of a better word, unrealistic. You wouldn't want to have an underpowered home console, a handheld that would literally burn your pants, and only one stock-keeping unit (containing both in one package) to buy in stores, now do you? These rumors are just misinterpretations of what they are probably doing. And note that by "architecture", I'm not referring to the actual hardware of the system(s).

What I think we're getting is this: two devices-- one being a handheld, and the other being a home console. These two would absorb the current Wii U architecture, and evolve from there, while being their own separate platforms at the same time. They would share the same operating system and the aforementioned architecture, in order to make game development easier and avoid software droughts. Iwata discussed this back in 2013, when Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions earlier in that year, and in early 2014. Check the spoiler down below for his statements.

Iwata said:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/05.html

As you might already know from some newspaper reports, we will reorganize our development divisions next month for the first time in nine years. Two divisions which have independently developed handheld devices and home consoles will be united to form the Integrated Research & Development Division, which will be headed by Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director.

Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable. Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run. I am covering this topic as today is our Corporate Management Policy Briefing.
Iwata said:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Last year Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions and integrated the handheld device and home console development teams into one division under Mr. Takeda. Previously, our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles had to be developed separately as the technological requirements of each system, whether it was battery-powered or connected to a power supply, differed greatly, leading to completely different architectures and, hence, divergent methods of software development. However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration. We discussed this point, and we ultimately concluded that it was the right time to integrate the two teams.

For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

Also, the codename "NX" does not hold any specific meaning. At least, not right now. So that can't be used for a counter-hybrid argument. The principle of sharing the architecture and operating system between the two consoles may not mean much for the average consumer, so what could be the one thing that makes NX sell to the masses? We don't know that yet.

Now, as far as a Smash Bros. re-release goes (the Wii U version in particular), I don't see that happening unless it's a Virtual Console release. If they do get to re-release it, then what would be the point of making a brand new Smash Bros. game that actually takes advantage of the platform's capabilities? Though I will say a re-release would sell well either way; not going to doubt that. I'm just skeptical about it, is all.

But who knows, really. NX could just turn out to be a home console with some random innovation out there, and I might just be making a big deal out of the "handheld shares OS and architecture with console" idea.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Rumor says it's gonna be a launch title, mind you, just after the launch of Sm4sh Namco put out a job posting for Smash 5.
So it's coming together ...

Maybe a port of Sm4sh with some upgrades? idk.

D

Deleted member

Saw the rumors not buying it, Wanna wait till Nintendo says something then we can talk Super Smash Bros. NX if it's true. It's probably just a port of Sma4sh and while I adore the game I don't really see the point in buying the same game again.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I just really do t like the idea of exclusive characters for nx smash. Ice climbers could've been. In WiiU, but Sakurai didn't want that, why would he do that for this jump? I see maybe a best of both sm4shes, maybe some stages and a game mode, but characters have been a non exclusive thing. Even if wolf or Rayman was on NX, I'd still be upset more so than happy (at least for a while)

Last edited:
Top Bottom