• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will created stages be used in competitive play?

Z1Pp

Smash Rookie
Some stages would be quite good to use in competitive play?

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
i think that created stages will be the standard in competitive play eventually.

its finally another element we are able to control in balancing smash for competitive play

Shweex

Smash Cadet
I'm sure that much like RTSs, there will be certain stages that someone will make that the pros will all end up enjoying, kind of like Big Game Hunter on Starcraft.

El_Latigo

Smash Rookie
Competitive play just isn't fun, so making a stage with just straight lines will probably happen.

S2

Smash Lord
I'm not sure.

Actually, I hope that tournaments only use real stages. Knowing the different stages is a big part of competition.

That and many of the stages look pretty balanced already.

Ebony Princess

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure.

Actually, I hope that tournaments only use real stages. Knowing the different stages is a big part of competition.

That and many of the stages look pretty balanced already.
Why can't adaptability also play a role?

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Competitive play just isn't fun, so making a stage with just straight lines will probably happen.
...yep, you're ignorant.

There's a problem with the stage creator, though. According to Neogaf, you can't use custom stages online.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
Again with the ignorant posts. How do you know competitive play isn't fun are you a tournament goer?
exactly.... tournament goers like myself have no problem playing the other stages and with items. But when your deciding skill the lvl has to have a certian balance with it. Also, it cant give one character an advantage like Onett and Fox.

Yes, if stages are custom built for competitive play they will be minimalistic. But, we will see some interesting variety as the years go on.

Moving platforms, wide open planks, floating platforms, and ramps, but nothing to complicated to make it unfair for certain characters.

There's a problem with the stage creator, though. According to Neogaf, you can't use custom stages online.

Oh, now that brings up a problem....

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I thought you could use created stages for Friend matches.

And I doubt any serious tournaments will be held online anyway.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Yes, I am just saying with the potential for lag and lust for control that the competitive community has (not saying it's a bad thing, but Wavebirds are not even allowed at major tournaments are they? There was a debate a while back about Wii remotes being allowed or not) there are too many ways that online match results could be skewed.

I guess that will come down to the reliability of the Nintendo Wifi service.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
...yep, you're ignorant.

Not even in "With Friends"...? ...This is not good...

Srules

Smash Apprentice
Anyone notice how small final destination stage is? I bet that a larger flat stage will be allowed for tournament play.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I'm sure that much like RTSs, there will be certain stages that someone will make that the pros will all end up enjoying, kind of like Big Game Hunter on Starcraft.
lol BGH...PROS...lol!

I think so. MLG is taking advantage of the forge in H3. I'm sure the smash community will be taking advantage of this ability.

Sugata Designs

Smash Cadet
No SC pros play on BGH - NO pros. Period. :psycho:

But to be redundant, created stages will probably be judged and we'll have a collection of specifically tourney-oriented, balanced ones for tournament play.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
wow both sugata and noir have the same logo, same posts. and same opinion on BGH, lol.

BUt yeah, i think well have a mini community form on the side...like forgehub for halo 3.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
wow both sugata and noir have the same logo, same posts. and same opinion on BGH, lol.

BUt yeah, i think well have a mini community form on the side...like forgehub for halo 3.
I played SC for 5 years. I know the game lol. Anyways do I know you? Do you play at GPC?

YoYoBoY

Smash Cadet
Can we put custom stages on an SD card and spread them about via the interwebs? If so, custom stages would easily be used for tournament play.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I can see stages that are quite unorthodox being used. Like a stage slightly larger than Final Destination tons of small platforms placed above it. I thought of this right at the stage builder update, and I am looking forward to the variety this could bring to tournaments, having a set of 6 neutral stages at one tournament, then going to another with 10, having 3 of the ones from the one before or something like that. I wonder, if FD has some problems with the edges being dumb and killing you if you go slightly under the stage (like battlefield used to be in melee) then there will be a stage just like FD except better-shaped sides for tournies.

Anyway, I wonder if during the finals you could say something like "Hey, wait a sec I need to build this one stage real quick to counterpick you." lol. Maybe if the amount of accepted legal stages got large enough, there could be 50-some stages open for counterpicks with many minor variations. It could be a rule that you could only use one of those stages if you were in the finals/semifinals for time issues and such. But I'm just rambling on random ideas.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
The BR'ers probably would make a certain list of created stages that are legal, and not just let random stages because it could cause some arguments and stuff..

Top Bottom