• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will a 13 year old get respect around here?

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
The beauty of Melee has to do with its' depth which is related to the difficulty: you can play this game for 20 years and still keep on improving, you will never be perfect.

Goddamn I wrote an awesome post, hell yeah. But welcome :)
I literally wrote a paper on Smash, four days ago, and this is one of my main points. There is an infinite amount of room to grow. Each character has a different metagame that is always changing. Not only that, but there are different metagames depending on region in the world and melee version(Pal, NTSC, 1.0, etc)
Who knows, maybe someone will crack the SYYG with Ness and bring ness up a few tiers.

Also, I know how you feel with Armada replying to this thread.
On Twitch i was watching Chudat v. Chillin, in the chat we were talking about IC's and i was talking to Fly and Wobbles(Two of my absolute favorite players ever. I'm an IC main, so yeah.) and I was just geeking out.

Word of advice: people WILL knock you for your character. Do not, absolutely not, let it get to you. Once you have your tech stuff down, you should try out every character at least a little bit. Play what you like and try to have a back up.
Fly Agaric = Fly Amanita
image.jpg

Last edited:

Aidebit

Smash Journeyman
I don't care if you're thirteen.

I don't care if you're MRF, I don't care if you're Pokemongeoff.

I'll money match you, five bucks.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Someone around 11-13 years old attended the beach house on Saturday and it was his first tournament as well. Looks like you aren't the only young, new michigan smasher! I'll see you at Lake Effect probably on Saturday.

Just have a good time and don't be obnoxious and people will like you. Don't be afraid to ask people to play or to ask for advice.
Your avatar makes the first part of your post a bit creepy.

D

Deleted member

Definitely.

I get respected by everyone, just don't be an asshole and keep a good attitude at Tournaments.

D

Deleted member

So I'm kind of responding late but I started this game when I was like 10/11 ish. I was also very obnoxious and annoying, I pretty much had no place to fit in. As time carries on though you'll mature in your attitude if you haven't yet and as long as you respect others you'll do fine.
And if you're focused on results, I have consistently high results compared to some "stereotypical age", and when most of those tournaments happened I was 13.

MRF

Smash Cadet
So I'm kind of responding late but I started this game when I was like 10/11 ish. I was also very obnoxious and annoying, I pretty much had no place to fit in. As time carries on though you'll mature in your attitude if you haven't yet and as long as you respect others you'll do fine.
And if you're focused on results, I have consistently high results compared to some "stereotypical age", and when most of those tournaments happened I was 13.
It's alright man, glad you cared enough to respond

Gravitirax

Smash Cadet
Just don't act like my friend, meaning don't:

Start leaning in your opponents lap while screaming when you get their stock down once.
Spam Fox up+b
Have the world's most annoying playstyle
Be obnoxious.

If you refrain from doing that, you should be fine.

MRF

Smash Cadet
Just don't act like my friend, meaning don't:

Start leaning in your opponents lap while screaming when you get their stock down once.
Spam Fox up+b
Have the world's most annoying playstyle
Be obnoxious.

If you refrain from doing that, you should be fine.
So pretty much what your saying is ledge camp the whole time and if i lose one stock forfeit the match

nooga

Smash Apprentice
lol as a 14 year old i ***** two guys yesterday and they were super salty

who needs respect when you can make people mad

Pichu Guru

Smash Apprentice
Don't play as Pichu and you will get all the respect in the world. Play as Pichu and you're automatically a noob who sucks at Melee, apparently. So, just be nice and don't be Pichu like me.

xCardiac

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I feel like the smash community is more mature than most internet communities. It just goes to show that it's true if you'd have to ask if someone of younger age. One thing about smash, which I love, is no matter where you're from, no matter what religion you are, etc (Something sentimental), you can always receive respect if you've got skill. I mean look, Mango has got a baby (or baby on the way), either way, it probably knows how to shuffle aerials already. Age means nothing here. :joyful:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
You'll enjoy the community. People start young and people are generally very nice.

Oh yeah, how was your first event.

D

Deleted member

The other weekend I was on stream, I beat denti and I beat sethlon in a roy ditto. I place really high in my region.
I'm only 14 years old. Theres hope for younger smashers, anyone can do it!

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
So long as you don't act like pokemongeof and constantly talk about how awesome you are for being 13. Yeah, most players started at 12, 12 years later they're not so young but no one will hate in you because of age, in fact people tend to respect younger players more for being the new blood in a game that's almost older than them
Hey!

I am still here.

Anyways good or bad, you will get respect because of ur interest. But don't expect it.

The other weekend I was on stream, I beat denti and I beat sethlon in a roy ditto. I place really high in my region.
I'm only 14 years old. Theres hope for younger smashers, anyone can do it!
Wow Zack you have been improving a lot i see! You really need to play with me some more, when i get my wii back from my crazy mom!

Last edited:

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Im young too dude just dont let what others say get to you

Skill=respect

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Leffen is really good but no one likes him

Mango had a good personality and was hype along with being good so work on being cool i guess Mangos skill and personality got him where he is today

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Age really doesn't mean much. As long as you give everyone else their due respect and play the game well (or at least have the intent to get better), people will respect you in return.
Just look at Hax. He's been 12 for 5-6 years and people respect him.

Top Bottom