• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote + Nunchuck viable?

Ubivin

Smash Rookie
What I mean is can it be as good as using any traditional controller ( i.e classic controller, GC controller or wiimote by itself)?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
It's probably one of the better options. Really, the only bad option is the Wii remote by itself.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
This has been discussed much already... but the search function here does suck balls. Anyway, the other options aside from GC aren't as tourney viable due to the fact that the infrared signals sometimes fudge each other up when you have multiple controllers around.

For home play though, no - it's not bad at all. I've been playing with it since my cheap HK white GC controller broke... 3 days after I got the game.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'd imagine it would be better then just the Wiimote, but worse then the Classic or the Wavebird.

DeLeon

Smash Rookie
There was a thread on the superiority of wiimote + chuck a while back, but the main argument was that you dont have to move your fingers as much as you would with any other controller. This means potentially quicker reaction times, which could make the difference in a close match.

I've been practicing with mote+chuck and it's actually really easy to use imo. Once you get used to pushing A+B to grab and jump being on your left hand its great. I don't see any downside other than lack of Cstick, which I never used anyway. I reccomend everyone practice with it for a few hours before you disregard its usefulness.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
There was a thread on the superiority of wiimote + chuck a while back, but the main argument was that you dont have to move your fingers as much as you would with any other controller. This means potentially quicker reaction times, which could make the difference in a close match.

I've been practicing with mote+chuck and it's actually really easy to use imo. Once you get used to pushing A+B to grab and jump being on your left hand its great. I don't see any downside other than lack of Cstick, which I never used anyway. I reccomend everyone practice with it for a few hours before you disregard its usefulness.
If Shake-Smash is effective that negates the C-stick argument, I haven't heard anyone confirm whether or not it didn't work well.

All in all it sounds like a good option for playing the game, but if you are going to be competitive and play in tournaments GCN controller is probably the only option.

DeLeon

Smash Rookie
The thing about shake smash is that you can accidentally trigger it, and if that happens you are probably gonna get punished so I always have that function turned off. I don't understand why mote+chuck wouldn't be a viable option for competitive players, I really cant think of any reason other than the fact that competitive players are more comfortable with GC controller...but I can imagine that changing in the near future.

Ralk

Smash Rookie
There was really only one in-depth post I've read concerning the wii mote + nunchuck, and the poster actually liked the shake smash. I haven't heard any mention of how easy it is to accidentally trigger a smash. I'm also surprised this setup isn't getting more attention. Remember you should customize the buttons to whatever is convenient for you, so having to hold a+b to grab is a non-issue.

DeLeon

Smash Rookie
The shake to smash isn't that sensitive but if you fidget when you're really into the game like me, i can be a problem =p . The thing about changing A+B grab to something else is that you would have to sacrifice another button to do that, which can be fine. Of course you can also use the Dpad, but that requires some finger moving and I haven't gotten used to that yet.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I think itll be a fine option, i know I will be using it
And about having to use A+B to throw, just move throw to down on the D-pad. Its basically the distance for moving your finger from A to Y on X on the Gamecube controller

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
im actually thinking that it might be one of the best controller options

with the gc controller you would jump with x/y then have to hit A for airs, but now you can just hit like C on the nunchuck and then A on the wiimote, thus having quicker airs

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
No, it probably won't be as viable as gamecube con., because it has less options.
It actually has more options.

I was in the thread DeLeon referred to, and a guy posted a control type that was really rockin. He basically talked about how you could map all the movement controls + shield to the nunchuck which leaves your other hand open to performing attacks. This would have been great for melee, as it would reduce the amount of time it takes to perform technical stuff; however, in brawl it's not very important due to it being a far less technical game.

Either way it's still a good set up. The only flaw with it is that it is wireless, and while Blue tooth is a badass technology, there is still signal crossing. This would only be a problem at extremely large scale tournaments, so for the most part you would be fine.

Chops73

Smash Cadet
I think I might use it, seeing as I don't have a cube controller lying around. Seems like it would work just fine.

Top Bottom