• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Wiichuck' Legality - Five Smash 4 Pros Who Use It Weigh In

Should The 'WiiChuck' Be Legal At Tournaments?

• Yes

Votes: 463 85.6%
  • No

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 27 5.0%

• Total voters

Editors Note: Wireless controllers were announced to be legal at Genesis 3 a while after this article was published. It is still a good read to learn about 'Wiichucks' and controller legality, and we hope readers still enjoy.

While wireless controllers have been legal in the past with Wavebird and Wii Remotes with Nunchuck being use, the six wireless options usable in Smash 4 have brought up issues with controller legality. With Genesis 3 banning the use of the Wii Remote and Nunchuck the discussion has heated up once again. We sat down with five professional Smash 4 players who use the 'Wiichuck' to get their thoughts on the situation.
  • ScAtt - Mega Man Master, has wins over Wizzrobe, Mew2King, StaticManny, Acid, MVD and more. 4th place at Tipped Off 11. Has used a Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup for over seven years.
  • ARC | Myran - Sponsored by Arcane eSports. He's also currently ranked 7th on the Florida Smash 4 Power Rankings. Has used a Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup for over seven years.
  • TearBear - Currently ranked 6th on the SoCal Smash 4 Power Rankings. Double eliminated Nietono at Evo 2015. Has used a Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup for over seven years.
  • Kamicario - One of the best Smash 4 Lucario players in the world. Has had close sets with TSM | ZeRo. Has used a Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup for over five years.
  • Player 7 - Currently undefeated in prized tournaments in Brazil since Smash 4's release. Brazil's best Smash 4 player. Has used a Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup for over seven years.
These players have a total of thirty three years of experience using the controller in various environments and had a lot to say on its legality. Let's take a look at all their thoughts on this issue.

Wii Remote and Nunchuck - Pros

Player 7: I truly believe Wiichucks are better. First thing is because the position of the buttons. A controller where you can jump with one hand and attack with other gives you GREAT mobility. Other is the DI/SDI is much better in the Wiichucks, since you have both of your thumbs always in.

Tearbear: I had tried using all the controllers to see which felt the most natural to me and Wiichuk was the one.

ScAtt: The Wiimote + Nunchuk set-up is actually really flexible in terms of being able to hold the controller in different positions. It's not hard at all to play standing up and you never have to worry about a controller getting snagged anywhere. I'm prone to moving a lot when I play and being able to freely move my controller gives me a sense of control over my actions that I don't feel otherwise.

Kamicario: I love how the c-stick is the d-pad The inputs are also very quick since its a single button tap instead of pushing a stick in a direction. It doesn't have the new mechanic for GCC's where you lose control of your character by pressing the c stick in a direction for a smash. I also enjoy that all my defense/movement options are on the left side with my Nunchuk (jump, shield, and control stick) while my attack options are on the right with the Wiimote (A, B, dpad for smashes, and grabbing). Another huge bonus is you can have your arms in about any position you want.

Myran: Well I like the overall feel of it in my hands, the Gamecube Controller feels clunky. I also prefer most of the buttons/analog stick as opposed to the Gamecube Controller. Especially the Z button and Nunchuck analog stick, but having the d-pad for smashes instead of a c-stick allows me a layer of safety that I won't accidentally hit a diagonal direction and make a tech error. Overall it just feels better than any other controller I use.

Issues In Tournaments

Player 7: Only recently I'm having some issues because of the number of wireless controllers now with Smash 4. There's some sort of bug that when there's too many of them, you start to have some miss inputs in the middle of the match. But by resetting your controller configuration you get rid of that. Other than this one, no problems at all.

Tearbear: I never had any issues with holding up tournaments since I was pretty good about taking my batteries out after any friendly or tournament set and I was pretty good about making sure my batteries were fresh. If anything people would look for me if a Wii needed to be started lol. The only problem Wiimotes suffer from is from excessive wireless interference like microwaves or sometimes stream equipment. It causes my Wiimote to not be so responsive and gives me miss inputs.

ScAtt: There were several cases where wireless interference played a huge role in my own personal performance. As far as issues involving disruption of other matches, it almost never occurred.

Kamikario: At Low tier city a few months ago I was playing Ally and in game 1 I noticed I had maybe a second or more input delay per input. I noticed his phone was directly on the Wii U and I guessed that might be it, so next game I asked him to move his phone and switch seats, the problem was fixed instantly. So from now on I always ask people to move their phones, lol. But outside of that, I have NEVER had an issue like the controller staying connected after a set because I remove the batteries instantly to make sure.

Myran: I have never personally had issues at tournaments. I'm pretty careful about making sure I take my batteries out. It was actually never an issue of being allowed until EVO happened this year, then TBH5 disallowed them, and no G3 is saying the same. I do know at some locals wireless controllers have been left on before, but it's always Pro Controllers, Wiimotes are far less prominent.

"Just Learn To Play With The Gamecube Controller" - Response

Player 7: I also play melee, therefore I know how to play with the GC controller, so not allowing wireless controllers in Genesis wouldn't be a problem at all. Most of people who say to learn the GC have no clue what the Wiimote and Nunchuck are capable of.

Tearbear: Of course I prefer Wiichuk but i had to switch to GameCube for MLG in the Brawl days and actually did pretty good it. I still would have liked to see how I would have done with Wiichuk. I definitely tried using it in friendlies at MLG but the interference was strong in the venue so probably not the best idea.

ScAtt
: "Just learn the Wiimote controller." Trust me, it's easier said than done. I personally do think that it's unreasonable to have to switch off a controller that I've been comfortable with for 7+years, but I do understand the risks of picking this controller. If I'm not able to enjoy the game while playing with the controller that works for me then I'd gladly wait for the next available tournament that allows their use. I completely understand that they can be hassle for certain TOs to deal with but as long as an individual player is responsible it really should not be a problem.

Kamicario: Yeah, it's extremely annoying to hear that. It could take months for someone who has been using wiichuk as long as I have to play 100% with a GameCube controller. The c-stick isn't in the same place, the buttons I'm used to having on the left side aren't there, and the triggers just feel so wrong to me. I think it's somewhat ignorant to say that when they aren't in my situation but I may have to learn the GCC if national tournaments continue to ban wireless.

Myran
: That's a ridiculous thing to ask. Learning a new controller can be difficult by itself, but I've been using this setup for 7 years. For 6 of them I ran into no issues. You wouldn't want me to tell you to pick up Wiimote, so don't tell me to pick up GameCube Controller. Some people just don't like using the controller. I don't use the GameCube controller because I don't like using it, and it's harder for me to use efficiently. I'm not going to change, because some people won't look to compromise.

Can There Be Compromise?

Player 7: Well, if they could made an exception for me I would really appreciate it but as I said I can handle myself with the GCC.

Tearbear
: I've attended Genesis 1 and 2 and I don't recall any problems. I feel like the small amount that truly care could be monitored with registration or something.

ScAtt
: Definitely. There was a great suggestion by Myran where any players with wireless controllers were to be marked upon signing in; that way, it would be easier to track who's causing a disruption in the tournament.

Kamicario: I'd just like to find a solution that works with TO's so the dedicated minority of wireless users are not punished because of lack of knowledge of the newcomers. I think we should also try and fix that lack of knowledge instead of outright ban everyone using it. That's my opinion.

Myran
: A good way to help identify and keep track of wireless controller users could be to have them designate their controller when they sign up for the tournament. This allows the tournament staff to more easily locate the wireless controller users and make sure they turn off their controllers. As well as enforcing strict DQ rules for those who violate the rule once. It may not be the best solution, but it can help find a middle ground for everyone.

---​

A special thank you to all of these players for help with this article. Myran, Kamicario, ScAtt, Tearbear, and Player 7 can all be found on Twitter at the links provided. Now that they have spoke their minds it's time for the public to chime in! Take our poll, sound off in the comments below, and be sure to stay tuned to Smashboards for future articles!

Last edited:

Comments

If the issue is lazy players, DQ them. If it persists, temporarily ban them. Don't punish everyone for the mistakes of a few.

All controller setups should be legal, except for the Wii U gamepad because only one can connect to a system at a time (so if 2 players using it meet... yeah no easy solution is there).

I used to main the Wii chuck in brawl for all reasons stated above. Since sm4sh came out, I've been using the gamepad and have since gotten used to its layout. Occasionally when I try the Wii chuck in smash 4, I sometimes forget I'm using a different controller and the buttons I think I'm pressing often don't do what I expect them to do, or I pressv a button on my left hand that usually my right hand does on the gamepad. It makes it awkward to re learn a new controller.
The one complaint I had with the Wii chuck was I used c to jump and its activation window is so small that it made it extremely hard to short hop.

But now that I use gamepad there are a lot more buttons so I can be a bit more flexible in mapping my controls.

I've had this and its extremely annoying but banning isn't the solution. I personally think its great you can play with so many different controllers and that really helps make smash 4 unique and easier to suit more people.

I've been a TO myself and currently TO the level up longe tournaments in Australia and we welcome any of them. But I personally think the TO and all the people helping the tournament need to really enforce people to turning controllers off when their done. That can easily be done by doing such things as.

-Announce this as a reminder before tournament begins

-Make it a rule that all wireless controllers must be offor battery removed when not playing

-Remind the player as they finish if you notice they won't do it. Bring it up before they leave their seat.

-Patrolling the venue if TO or helpers are free to help enforce listed suggestions .

-Banning and blacklisting people to GCC if they don't comply at future tournaments.

The cons with input seem to only effect the user so that'll be up to then to fix the issue and as Kamicario has done its workable.

Last edited:
If Wii nunchucks are going to be banned why not go ahead and ban the pro Controller and the Wii and wiiu Gamecube Controller srsly you play they way you want to not let people take over and say no you can't use wiichucks

l'm a Gamepad guy. For many reasons. lt's more practical in all casual, playing at home situations. But at a tournament...... l'm questioning some of my decisions in life now. Maybe once, l'll try it if it's allowed and see what happens.

Last edited:
Wireless controllers are banned in every Fighting games tournament. I thought that's was the only reason why Wiimotes are banned too.

As a person who started out on Wiimote + Nunchuk, I would say that the grip feels a lot more natural compared to the GCC. I also like the analog on the Nunchuk WAY more than that on the GCC-- the hexagon for the stick is smaller, and although the stick is slightly longer, for some reason, it feels more natural, at least to me.
The reason why I switched to GCC was because of the ease of dual-stick SDI, ease of foxtrot -> reversed fsmash, and momentum cancelling in Brawl.
If wireless controllers become legal for Smash 4, I may or may not switch back... switching batteries constantly is actually kind of a pain.

As for the interference, hey, wireless controllers are the norm for new consoles. Might as well get used to it?

Question for whoever may be able to answer: Apparently, Streetfighter plays on Playstation consoles, which uses wireless controllers. How are they faring? Do they use the same format for tournaments as Smash does, and do the wireless controllers interfere with the running of the tournament?

Last edited:
I can't play with the wiichuck but I can play with the wii remote sideway. It's much better.
Just unban the wireless rule. Everyone will be happy.

I do think if you are a Mega Man user who plays with a Wiimote and Nunchuck, you are playing to your most optimal advantage for that particular character. Mega Man benefits from the controller simply because of easy DITCIT (aka Super Glide Tossing) which is much more difficult to preform the forward toss slide on a standard remote alone due to limitations found on the right stick, while fortunately the Wiimote's d-pad for smash is all digital, allowing Mega Man players to DITCIT with ease. Also pivot toss slide is exclusive to that controller.

I personally use the Wiimote and Nunchuck myself and do main Mega Man, and yes I take advantage of everything the character has to offer being a solo main. I feel more intimidated being forced to work with the GC remote simply because without it, I'd not only be uncomfortable, but would feel at a disadvantage without it. Maybe if its allowed more widely you may see more diversity at these events. Aside from that, I understand the reasons why not to, and they can cause utter chaos in any event... but on the other hand I truly feel one should be allowed to play with what they are most comfortable with.

As someone who actually to'd several smash 4 tournaments of various scales up to what, 120+ people regional, I'm all for banning wireless controllers in general because too many players in the events have been careless and lazy, and not desynced or pulled out their batteries, and it's not fair to even one person if someone else's wireless controller caused them to lose an entire set or restart a game fresh, and i can see why bigger venues especially those pulling in players that haven't been playing since at least brawl would be concerned about banning the devices.

To be clear, i'm against wireless controllers in general, but honestly, wiimote and nunchuck is the least offending of all of them since they tend to be really easy to you know, simply pull the batteries out.
This.
If you haven't organized a tournament of more that 50 people you don't know the problems wireless controllers can cause.

Wii chuck is the least problematic because you can take the batteries off (along with 3ds users but in my scene I can count him on one finger), but the pro controller is something else. Imagine a player finishing a match, desyncing his controller and putting it in his bag. In the bag buttons are pressed and the controller syncs randomly with whichever console it prefers. Good luck finding who's responsible for it.

It may seem simple to list the people who own a wireless controller but seriously when you're organizing a tournament you have a lot of other things to do than making sure players don't randomly activate their controllers.

One solution to be 100% sure it doesn't happen in big tournaments would be to have wireless controllers assigned to certain setups, but I haven't seen that being done ever.

Of course, it all boils down to what you feel more comfortable. While some controllers might have their unique perks, you will always get the best performance with the controller you know to use.

This intrigues me, I wonder about a controller tier list. Evaluating the fact on what can you do with each setups to allow the best play...but of course, analyzing that seems pretty complicated.

Agreed. If you think you have an advantage using any other controller you're just an idiot.

Also who cares how high these guys place in smash 4 using a nunchuck or wii stick or whatever, I'd love to see them try it in PM. They'd get wrecked.
PM...lol that's funny. ScAtt plays as megaman, a very hard character to play as...I thik he can handle a few more button presses bud

While I can agree with the decision to ban wireless controllers from larger scale tournaments (or really just like 30+ people), I also can't agree. I know that wireless controllers turn into a logistics nightmare if not properly handled, but I think outright banning them and thereby alienating players who are most comfortable with them is unhealthy both for the community and to a lesser and probably more uncommon extent, the metagame.

I think it really boils down to expecting participants who insist on using wireless controllers to have some courtesy. Endeavor to stay on the same setup, be really conscious of where your controller is and that it doesn't turn on/sync up by mistake, things like that.

It's all wireless controllers that are banned, but Wiimote and Nunchuck are the special snowflakes that get to complain lmao
Thats wrong.
Generally I've never heard of tournaments in europe banning wireless controllers. It's just unreasonable. It's a lack of responsibility from the TO's to ban them. When TO's ban them, it's like saying "we don't care to handle that".

But everything has solutions. People should not be screwed out of a tournament just because of they controller choice. (same for their main @Mii's *cough*)
The controller options for the WiIU are really unique and so everyone can choose from the best suited option for them.
Other consoles "Wireless controllers are banned" is not comparable with the WiiU for that reason. If you play wireless on xboxone or wired, your layout stays the same. It's not the same uniqueness you experience on the WiiU.

Possibly solutions:
First: Make sure everyone has their controller registered. If you know who plays with wireless controllers you can track it easier.

Second: The TO's (or his helpers) need to own a WiiU Pro Controller for such circumstances anyway. Thats not only for users not being smart enough to deync, but for trolls who sync with consoles to cause annoyance. (Home -> Controller-Options -> change order to desync all wireless controllers connected)

Third There needs to be a rule that wiimote user are DQd if they fail to put the batteries out of their wiimote.

For WiiU Pro Controller you can enforce the wired wiiu pro controller claused used on most tournaments.
On smaller scale tournaments you can use a "Desync Set-up" on the Result-Desk. You can sync to a WiiU on the desk to prevent your wireless controller to be connected to Tournament WiiU's right after you played your tournament match. We're about to test that in germany.

There are a lot of solution. TO's just need to stop being lazy and outright ban everything thats different, because they don't want to look or think about solutions.

No one has mentioned yet that the Wii Remote just so happens to be the regular Wii U controller? What is used for all other Wii U games with multiplayer options, you know? If you ask me, telling players that they are to use a controller that can only be connected to the console with the help of an external device, and is not compatible with any other of their Wii U games, over their Wii U controller of choice, does sound kind of silly to begin with.

Not only the Wiichuks but any wireless controllers shouldn't be banned. I used Wiichuks back in Brawl and switched to the Pro Controller in Smash 4 (because I don't like to repeat controllers in different Smash games), what needs to happen is people that attends tourneys to get used to remove the batteries or turn off the controller (by pressing Sync in the rear and not touching any of the face buttons) after your set ends. We had a really big issue with this on our most recent tourney, and I don't want to see my controller being banned because of the lack of education from other players.

As a TO you always have to assume that the average player is not educated and not responsible. As a TO you must always consider the worst case. If the worst case would ruin the tournament you have to find a solution.

Why are so many people acting like this is a strange thing? The smash community isn't special. Wireless Controllers have been banned since the dawn of time across all forms of competitive gamming.

Couldn't use one in 05 at big halo tourneys and that was 10 years ago you'd think people would know all about the downsides to wireless and not expect TO's to try to work around those.

Is it possible to look for ways to find a way to crack down on interference between consoles and controllers as opposed to banning controller options?
yeah all you have to do is when they sign up you lead them to a tv farther away from the others and register the wiimote soley on that wii u using the red buttons the wiimote has on the back and the wii u has on the front

Why are so many people acting like this is a strange thing? The smash community isn't special. Wireless Controllers have been banned since the dawn of time across all forms of competitive gamming.

Couldn't use one in 05 at big halo tourneys and that was 10 years ago you'd think people would know all about the downsides to wireless and not expect TO's to try to work around those.
Are you even reading other people's posts? this has already been adressed. And wireless controllers are not "banned from competitive gaming "because that would mean the controllers are banned because they bear a risk in an competitive environment. They are rather banned in large scale tournaments for the risk of ruining a set-up and thats the only valid reason.
For Xbox and PS consoles, this doesn't make a difference because the layouts are identical. The WiiU is different and people choose the controller that fits them best thus TO's should not try to restrict people that way but rather find solutions for that problem.

Yeah maybe 2015 wireless was "okay" because Gamecube adaptor was hard to find. But now we are in 2016, Gamecube adaptors can be find anywhere. G3 is MAJOR, it's no Local weeklies, If i was the TO of a major, the only controller i want open is the people who actually play...

Clearly anybody with a wiimotes and pro controller can put the console OFF during a Grand Final...

And why is there an undecided vote choice? If you're undecided please do not vote!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Gamepad has to be banned. Only one per console is allowed. Imagine if two gamepad users had to face each other. What would you do then?
Basically you could have one of the gamepad users use a Wii U pro controller instead. The button layout is pretty much identical and the only difference is the position of your hands, being closer together and the controller being lighter.

Agreed. If you think you have an advantage using any other controller you're just an idiot.

Also who cares how high these guys place in smash 4 using a nunchuck or wii stick or whatever, I'd love to see them try it in PM. They'd get wrecked.
sorry, what? The game cube controller lacks buttons compared to the Wii u pro controller and the classic controller. GC also has Triggers that delay reaction, its inferior in almost every aspect. You can litterally say nothing about it that states its better other than bias "it feels good" which is preference.

Regardless, you can't wait 7+ years and just ban a controller. The option was there all through out brawl and it was not brought up. Only a moron would do this now after people have invested all this time into them.

This.
If you haven't organized a tournament of more that 50 people you don't know the problems wireless controllers can cause.

Wii chuck is the least problematic because you can take the batteries off (along with 3ds users but in my scene I can count him on one finger), but the pro controller is something else. Imagine a player finishing a match, desyncing his controller and putting it in his bag. In the bag buttons are pressed and the controller syncs randomly with whichever console it prefers. Good luck finding who's responsible for it.

It may seem simple to list the people who own a wireless controller but seriously when you're organizing a tournament you have a lot of other things to do than making sure players don't randomly activate their controllers.

One solution to be 100% sure it doesn't happen in big tournaments would be to have wireless controllers assigned to certain setups, but I haven't seen that being done ever.
Well, there is a good solution in the case of the wii U pro controller. It's quite simple, actually: you turn it off by pressing the small button on the back (paperclip needed) and put it in a box of a material that doesn't bend easily that is either just the right size or partially filled with a soft material to make the controller be stationairy. Make sure you have a lid of some kind. Note that moving the sticks or pressing the trigger buttons doesn't reactivate it. This is why putting it face up in a box is a very safe way of making sure the controller doesn't activate until you require it to.
As someone who uses the wii U pro controller, I can confidently say this works. I just have this wooden box I put together myself so it's like a mini cubic treasure chest, if you will.

If someone uses a wireless controller, they should let the TOs know before hand.
That way they could put a dash next to their name on the signup sheet.
like this:
Player List
Derk
-Deku Scrub
Some other player
-Another wii-mote player

That way if there is interference you'd know who to talk to about it.

Well, there is a good solution in the case of the wii U pro controller. It's quite simple, actually: you turn it off by pressing the small button on the back (paperclip needed) and put it in a box of a material that doesn't bend easily that is either just the right size or partially filled with a soft material to make the controller be stationairy. Make sure you have a lid of some kind. Note that moving the sticks or pressing the trigger buttons doesn't reactivate it. This is why putting it face up in a box is a very safe way of making sure the controller doesn't activate until you require it to.
As someone who uses the wii U pro controller, I can confidently say this works. I just have this wooden box I put together myself so it's like a mini cubic treasure chest, if you will.
And how many people bring a box with them at a tournament

Unless I'm playing Brawl (or PM), I greatly prefer the Wiichuck over the GCN controller. I also like the Gamepad a lot since my hands are big, but it's banned too often for me to really use.

Hell, I use my New 3DS XL when playing smash Wii U in some tournaments. I had one tournament where they kicked me out for not using a GameCube Controller. I like using it, but everybody has a controller preference when it comes to Smash. Specifically Brawl, Project M and Smash Wii U. Let them use a controller they're most comfortable with. Plain and simple.

Whether or not wireless controllers are buggy shouldn't matter at all. If a player prefers that type of controller they could only harm their play, not others. I don't even get why this is up for discussion. People should be allowed to use whatever controller they choose to, just like in any other fighting game.

I used this controller for a while, but the main problem is the lack of a C-stick. Turning the D-pad into smash attacks helps, but then grab will have to be set on the 1 button or something.
I still think it's a good controller, though, and there's no reason for it to be banned.

A completely one sided article and then you have a poll at the end? Wow. I didn't know you were trying to imitate the liberal media

I think it is a little unfair to ban one particular controller, despite understanding there being a select few particular reasons. Even so I mean if Wii-remotes were going to be banned at all tournaments both local/major then I would like to think that all other Wireless controllers would have to banned as well, as that is just picking and choosing, and as several people have pointed out already that would be alienating an entire group of people.

I'm a wiichuck user myself and have been using said controller since the day Brawl came out, and I know for a fact that I would be highly upset if I couldn't use the controller that I have been using since 2008. I think people should just be able to use whatever controller they are comfortable and for those that use wireless in general they just need to be cognizant of the fact that they need to desyc or take the batteries out when they finish a match, its not that hard.

Wireless controllers will always be a potential liability at larger tournaments. If the only risk of wireless controllers was on the user (Hey your inputs might fail or get lost because of wireless interference), it would be fine to legalize it since the player assumes all risk. I'm fine with players accepting possibly more latency, missed inputs, etc because they chose a non-wired option. That's their choice.

However, the risk spreads to more than just the user, and it's entirely reasonable to ban all wireless controllers to avoid mishaps that affect other players.

Registering wireless controller players doesn't change the possible impact they can have. If a person's controller rolling around in a bag, randomly pauses or pulls home screen during someone else's match, it doesn't matter whether you find that person in 10 seconds or 10 minutes. The damage is effectively done.

Marking players, tagging controllers, putting special wristbands stamps marks stickers etc will not address the random pause or random disruption (aside from finding the person responsible a bit easier and/or banning them easier). Only thing I can think of, is each player with a wireless controller is assigned a clear box and you have them dismantle the controller + give it immediately back to a TO or someone in charge once the match is done. Then you give back the box after calling their next match, and they repeat this process after every match.

Local and regional TO's can go ahead and allow them. Run a strict policy about removing batteries, being held 100% responsible for incidents and getting banned/reprimanded, do what it takes. I don't think it's feasible at larger events, with a bajillion phones / strong wifi / streaming / other wireless activity + time constraints. Additional time either lost from wireless controller disruptions, re-synching, dismantling, re-building, etc would be less feasible in a 500+ man bracket

TL:DR

Being disrupted by wireless controller is a less fair and less desirable outcome than banning them.

Last edited:
"Most of people who say to learn the GC have no clue what the Wiimote and Nunchuck are capable of."

What do you mean "are capable off"?!?! Like damn it's not like you get superpowers for playing the the wiimote and nunchuck.

This is honestly so freaking lame. You're banning a CONTROLLER?

Let people play with whatever the fudge they want. I personally prefer the GCC.

Diversity is a great thing, stop being so dumb.

Wireless controllers will always be a potential liability at larger tournaments. If the only risk of wireless controllers was on the user (Hey your inputs might fail or get lost because of wireless interference), it would be fine to legalize it since the player assumes all risk. I'm fine with players accepting possibly more latency, missed inputs, etc because they chose a non-wired option. That's their choice.

However, the risk spreads to more than just the user, and it's entirely reasonable to ban all wireless controllers to avoid mishaps that affect other players.

Registering wireless controller players doesn't change the possible impact they can have. If a person's controller rolling around in a bag, randomly pauses or pulls home screen during someone else's match, it doesn't matter whether you find that person in 10 seconds or 10 minutes. The damage is effectively done.

Marking players, tagging controllers, putting special wristbands stamps marks stickers etc will not address the random pause or random disruption (aside from finding the person responsible a bit easier and/or banning them easier). Only thing I can think of, is each player with a wireless controller is assigned a clear box and you have them dismantle the controller + give it immediately back to a TO or someone in charge once the match is done. Then you give back the box after calling their next match, and they repeat this process after every match.

Local and regional TO's can go ahead and allow them. Run a strict policy about removing batteries, being held 100% responsible for incidents and getting banned/reprimanded, do what it takes. I don't think it's feasible at larger events, with a bajillion phones / strong wifi / streaming / other wireless activity + time constraints. Additional time either lost from wireless controller disruptions, re-synching, dismantling, re-building, etc would be less feasible in a 500+ man bracket

TL:DR

Being disrupted by wireless controller is a less fair and less desirable outcome than banning them.
Actually I thought of an added level of security. On top of marking them to easily locate them, after their match is played have them sync their controller to a dummy setup. All it takes is a wii u, that I'm sure one of us wouldn't mind bringing and they can watch us sync our remotes to that. Then the offchance of messing a match isn't really there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom