• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Zink

Smash Champion
I'm a little confused. In Cashed's pic, what exactly were those ports coming out of? Was that the back/bottom part of the console or something? and to the left of the 1337 slot, are those ventiliation holes, or a keypad, or what?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Mic_128 said:
It's not being sold, nor is it public. It's probably a draft/final copy of a booklet to be released at E3.
Are you sure? I read this was already out, but you know how reliable the internet is.

EDIT: Zink, those parts are coming out of the back of the console.

It appears that you've coined a new term Cashed.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Zink said:
I'm a little confused. In Cashed's pic, what exactly were those ports coming out of? Was that the back/bottom part of the console or something? and to the left of the 1337 slot, are those ventiliation holes, or a keypad, or what?
Ventilation holes obviously. Why would there be a keypad on the system?

And woot? New term ftw.

Zink

Smash Champion
I was just trying to figger out what those things were... what does ftw mean? And shoudn't there be a port to connect to a moniter? like video in/out ports?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
ftw means for the win.

And again:

You see where I said "Usual Nintendo AV cables slot," don't you? That'd be my best guess.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Cashed said:
blaksheap82 said:
Well, I do. If I have to pay, then don't count on seeing me in the lobby or playing against me.
Then you clearly don't want online that bad.
ChRed2AKrisp said:
Hello? ANyone in there? Not all of us HAVE the cash in the first place.

I'm a student, and do a lot of extra-cirricaular stuff, so I don't have time for a job. I don't play everquest or WoW, cuz I CAN'T pay for it.
Even if I could, my parents would not let me spend money on an online service.

SOme of us do noit have the option of paying for an online service, so don't act like we're horrible people because we want a free service.
Thank you VERY much. It's almost arrogant of Cashed to say that I don't want online play for the Rev very badly just because I won't pay for it. I want a Mercedes SLK 530 too, but that doesn't mean I want to pay for it, or even can. If Cashed really knew me, he'd know instead how happy I am about Nin's philosophy that results in their free Wi-Fi service. Obviously Cashed really can't know me through a medium such as this, but that still proves the point of how he can't make a statement like that without knowing all about mine and everyone else here's circumstances. And just to add to ChRed's last statement, there is more to life than games, and I hope that anyone who doesn't realize this has to pay taxes, or will have to soon.

I'm hoping also that the final colors will be like what was shown in magazines, not what was in that picture. I'm leaning towards red, also to match my red DS, but I really like all the colors. Shame there's not a blue one, though.

DestinySmasher said:
And yea, it'd probably be good to start a new thread when info gets out. That way there'll be no speculation--at least, not any pre-E3 speculation.
I don't see it as being necessary, but the speculation in this thread might confuse some who haven't been here before that point in the future.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Call me crazy, but gaming isn't exactly a cheap hobby. Whenever I see someone say they don't have the money to pay for things such as online, I'm wondering how you're able to buy the console, accessories, games, etc. How many $50 games would you say you buy a year? You wouldn't be willing to sacrifice one of them to have an amazing online service? If you want something badly and you know it'll be worth it, you take the plunge and even if you don't want to pay the price, you do. Did I want to spend $400 on a new console in November? No. I planned on spending $300, but I still really wanted the 360, so I got another $100 together. Do I like spending $60 on third party games for the 360? No, but I'm going to, because I really want those games. I only buy games I really want. I'm not going to buy something I'm on the fence about. I wanted a new surround sound system for Christmas and spent $300 on that. Did I want to spend that much? No, but I really wanted it, so I took the plunge and I'm now happy with it. Do I want to spend $50 dollars on roses for my girlfriend for Valentine's Day? Not really, I'd rather just spend the day together doing whatever, but it makes her happy, which makes me feel good, so I'll go ahead and spend the money on her. I guess that's just how I view buying things, though. If I really want something, such as a good online service, I'm willing to pay for it.

I guess we're just different like that though. I see you want to change your username, but it doesn't look like you're willing to donate to the site and get a membership to change your name. You want online, but you don't want to pay for it.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Yeah, about the name, I've just decided to keep it anyway, the one I was going to change it to I realized wasn't that good of a choice. I keep forgetting to take that sig off, but honestly I'm tired of looking at it.

The way you put that, we're really not that different. I only buy games I really want or think I'll really enjoy. If I was going to buy an X360, I'd get the Premium package and save myself about $100 in the long run, or however much it was. I've been told many times I have high standards, and that means spending a bit more, usually, so I'm not a total tightwad.

Also, I guess I was under the impression most online services were more than $50 a year, and not to mention you only pay for a console once (usually). But it's not just the cost, which I just really can't afford at this point in time, it's also the method of payment. I don't have a credit card, and don't have the means or any good reason to get one; my dad would never in a million years pay for that, even if I payed him back; and to top it all off, my dad's overly paranoid about identity theft, most of which doesn't even happen on the Internet anyway.

Additionally, I have two brothers, and almost every one of my friends play video games to an extent (and fortunately most play Smash), so it's not like I'm in desperate need of playmates or competition. This is all why I said that you can't look at one statement a person makes and think you know exactly what they're thinking (my dad happens to do that too, and it can really piss me off sometimes) without knowing about all of their circumstances. It really sounds like we don't think that differently, at least in this instance, our priorities just aren't all in the same order.

PS. Glad to see you want to make your girlfriend happy, smart guy. At least that's one priority we'd agree on, if it wasn't for the fact that I barely have enough time and enough money for myself as it is, XD.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Live on the Xbox did require a credit card, but on the 360 it doesn't, if Nintendo were to charge for their service, they could do what Microsoft now does. http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/258829.asp You can buy your membership at the store... and when it runs out, your account goes from Gold, to Silver, so when it changes to Silver, you just can't play multiplayer online until you go buy another membership and enter the activation code into your 360. "But Cashed! What about downloads that cost money.. Arcade games, downloadable content, etc.?!" http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/259736.asp Microsoft points are also available at stores, you buy them, put in the activation code and you've got points to spend. No credit card required.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's what I'm talkin' about.

Credit Card junk is a hassle.

And Cashed has a very good point in his post about money. Sometimes, I take a risk and spend money on a game I turn out to not play as long as I might like, but if it's a unique, cool experience, like Nintendogs, I don't mind.

I already have planned the money I'm spending on games up until summer, because I know exactly what games are coming out that I'llbe willing to spend money on.

I didn't want to spend $80 on Resident Evil 4, but I REALLY wanted it the day after it came out, mailed to me, in a special collector's tin, despite my sheer lack of Resident Evil liking.

And DANG, was the game so worth $80. I hope the Revolution, whatever its price turns out to be, is worth it. It may take a while, like the DS, but I'm sure it will be, sooner or later.

I just hope SSB3 isn't a launch title like Mario 64 DS, or something. It needs to be solid and quality, and dang good, just like Melee was. It can't just be a gimick. If Nintendo pulls that off, and with a good online system, then that will be very good for their business, methinks.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
If you're hoping they'll wait to release it, most reports say it'll be a launch title. However, if you mean you hope it isn't a BAD launch title...I doubt it'll just be a rehash of SSBM, like M64DS was to DS.

Besides which, most serious SSBM players would enjoy a rehash w/ internet capabilities. Personally, I want a completely different experience.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
UrajKingofDarkness said:
If you're hoping they'll wait to release it, most reports say it'll be a launch title.
Wasn't SSBM due to be a launch title but was bumped a few weeks? I wouldn't be suprised if SSBR was delayed from launch.

EDIT: I was tossing up between a month or a few weeks. Guess my brain chose both. :/

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
It was actualy only bumped by a few weeks.

GCN came out in November, Melee came out first week of December.

Anyway...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147861

According to the Regginator, Nintendo has their E3 cards planned out, have put careful thought into how to set up their booths, and are prepared to released Revolution Demos at E3. Sure, nothing surprising, but it is good to know they're prepared instead of just hoping they are.

Can't wait to see the first footage of SSB3.
I can't say I want a total re-do myself. But I mean, Melee wasn't a total re-do. It just evolved EVERYTHING the game had to offer, and gave us all new things.
I don't want a re-hash, I want another evolution.

Melee was like a Charmeleon to SSB1's Charmander.
I want SSB3 to be a Charizard.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
^^DS, again you voice practically the same exact things I've been thinking. I don't want an entirely different game, but I do want something new. And I'm also hoping we see at least one new char for SSB3, partly just to see whose predictions/speculation becomes reality.

Cashed said:
Live on the Xbox did require a credit card, but on the 360 it doesn't, if Nintendo were to charge for their service, they could do what Microsoft now does. http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/258829.asp You can buy your membership at the store... and when it runs out, your account goes from Gold, to Silver, so when it changes to Silver, you just can't play multiplayer online until you go buy another membership and enter the activation code into your 360. "But Cashed! What about downloads that cost money.. Arcade games, downloadable content, etc.?!" http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/259736.asp Microsoft points are also available at stores, you buy them, put in the activation code and you've got points to spend. No credit card required.
Well it's good to see MS doing something that benefits someone other than themselves for once, but really they're still getting the most benefit in the long run, because now all those 15-17 year olds with jobs and no credit cards don't have to nag their parents anymore, or whose parents just wouldn't pay.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that if I didn't win a Forum Award, I was considering just getting the cheapest membership, because that was the only reason I'd buy it. I don't really care about getting into the BRoom, because if I wasn't invited, then I couldn't really see why anyone would want me there, not to mention I don't even know what's discussed in there; and the rest of the perks (most of which I can't think of off the top of my head), seemed somewhat trivial. Come on Cashed, don't tell me that you didn't shop around before you bought that surround sound system for $300.

None of this is really because I don't want to spend money on something I want, it's that most of the examples Cashed or I mentioned are not a matter of willingness to pay, but of ability, and I did say "at this point in time," in case you missed that, Cashed. But like I said, the name really isn't that important (it's the equivalent of vanity on the Internet, which is just completely ********), and when I made that sig I realized anyway that most of the mods would probably not vote, just in the hopes that I'd have to buy a membership. :chuckle:

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Of course I shopped around. I went into the store to buy a different system, but came out with the other system instead because they didn't have the one I wanted (which was about $100 cheaper), but the one I ended up getting was overall better than the one I originally wanted, so I went ahead and paid the extra cash.

I just realized I spent about $1000 dollars in November and December alone. Wow.

Oh and the BRoom rules for the most part. It's pretty much just a spam room with all the coolest people of the forum. A few serious topics here and there, but we just have fun in there.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
And I could see myself in the same situation when it comes to buying something like that. I had to get a new Cube controller, which my brothers and I were in serious need of for some time, but my parents don't buy any of this stuff for us, so I had to wait a while. But I could have gotten one of those third party controllers I hate to use so much, but I didn't. I even got a new one, because it was only five dollars more than a pre-owned, and I'll be using it longer with the Rev. I really think we're not as different as we might seem Cashed, but like I said, the Internet is just a horrible place to judge people.

And that's so ironic it's funny, about the BRoom, because it's always sounded like spam is forbidden in there, under penalty of death. I guess it sounds fun, but it still seems like asking would be like inviting myself along with a group of people who wouldn't have invited me otherwise. I don't know. :ohwell:

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
Cashed said:
Oh and the BRoom rules for the most part. It's pretty much just a spam room with all the coolest people of the forum. A few serious topics here and there, but we just have fun in there.
Dude, you do know that by spreading such blatantly false information to the masses about the Broom like that, you could lose your position as Head Propaganda Proprieter.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Great, now I don't know who to believe. :chuckle:

But saying that the BRoom is all spam still sounds fishy. :(

*in mock understanding tone of voice* Oh I got it, you're both messing with me to try to make me curious, so I'll want to get into the BRoom, hah, nice try. :chuckle:

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
i'm not even in the BR, and I'm sure it's not much.
I'm a mod on KO(Kart Online, for MKDS). there are some other swfer's there too, like UndrDog, and ExMachina is the admin. We have a broom equivalent for the elite CLan KO members, but right now...well there isn't much.

Course, SWF is so much larger. But its the same problem. WHat the hell are you gonna talk about?

so i think its all spam like cashed said.

and for the sake of the thread, I hope the rev conroller either has built in or can get an attachment for haptic interface.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
ChRed2AKrisp said:
i'm not even in the BR, and I'm sure it's not much.
That's where you'd be wrong. The Broom is like an intellectual haven, but it does have alot of other cool fun stuff going on in there.
ChRed2AKrisp said:
Course, SWF is so much larger. But its the same problem. WHat the hell are you gonna talk about?
Maybe one day you'll find out. :D

You know what's wierd though? Just a few days ago I was going to see if I could have my title changed to Sony fanboy. Then I saw Cashed's new title. I guess I'll just have to think up something else now. :-C

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Chill, you should go ahead and get the title! We'd be like brothers. Brothers who like different companies.

My title is the doing of Kiki, by the way. I wanted my title to be "360 Xtremist" and have a Master Chief avatar I use on all the other forums I visit (sans GameFAQs), but Kiki would only give me a new title... one of his liking. :p

falcoX

Smash Champion
The Hall of Eternia, Exactly 10 miles west of the
well, i just got the latest issue of GI and it said that rev will be out by thanksgiving. Satoru Iwata said that, "... we have no plan to to miss out on end of year sales battles. As for north america, we need to release it by thanksgiving, or otherwise we wont recieve support from the industry."

the article also says that there were 3 possible options for playing old nintendo games: buying, renting, and subscription. "Some N64 games were listed as high as $19.99, but most titles for (The other older systems) were cheaper. if purchased, titles would be stored on the systems memory. rentals would be offered... and an all-you-can-rent option for $14.99 is another possibility."

ill try to find a link from the GI website to give you guys more info.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Chill said:
That's where you'd be wrong. The Broom is like an intellectual haven, but it does have alot of other cool fun stuff going on in there.

Maybe one day you'll find out. :D

You know what's wierd though? Just a few days ago I was going to see if I could have my title changed to Sony fanboy. Then I saw Cashed's new title. I guess I'll just have to think up something else now. :-C
No, I think it's more like what ChRed said, it really sounds to me like it's mostly just spam, partly because there's a Melee BRoom, also. So what, is there a duplicate of each thread there is here in the Light House? But I suppose intellectual spam is better than the kind in the SSB3 thread. :urg: Wow, I just realized I haven't checked that thread in nearly a month. I finally got my Cube back, so I didn't need to go to that thread to get my fix, that must have been what it was.

Oh wait, I have to say something about the Rev here. Uh, let's see... oh, I didn't know you'd be able to rent games on the VC, not just buy them, I must have missed that. That could have some conveniences, but if there were late fees, you couldn't exactly finish the game at your liesure, unless you just didn't care about getting charged.

There, happy? :lick:

Chill

Red
BRoomer
blaksheap82 said:
No, I think it's more like what ChRed said, it really sounds to me like it's mostly just spam, partly because there's a Melee BRoom, also. So what, is there a duplicate of each thread there is here in the Light House?
There is a difference between thinking you know something and actually knowing it. There is a Melee BRoom for melee discussion. The BRoom is not the Light oBRoom so no, there is not a duplicate topic of every Light House topic. Occaisionly there is a video game related topic like the console debates in ther but mostly there are topics for other much more important things. I can't tell you anymore though, it's against the rules.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
yeah ummm...

anyone haved anything actually on topic to say? I mean, there isn't much until GDC, or even until e3 at the latest. maybe we should just not post until there's actually something of worth to say.

i spammed. darn.

Zink

Smash Champion
OK PEOPLE BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE.
This has already been mentioned, but I think a messenger system is needed. I play Halo online, and it's very hard to keep track of people unless you already know where they are. So it's hard to talk to people and get tips unless you either a) join a stunt server with people you will never see again or b) join a clan and have practices.
I don't want to have to pause, run to my computer, check SWF, read a tip/trick, run back, try it, etc...

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Man, those last five posts after mine were funny. :chuckle: But Chill, I didn't mean that question about the BRoom being and exclusive Light House to be serious, in case it came across that way.

Um, let's see, some bs about the Rev so I can at least look like I'm on topic.... Nope, can't think of any. So I just added to the spam, too. Whoops, sorry. :lick:

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
****it like a hundred people beat me to the GI issue thing. yea so w/e on page 27 or something blah blah blah revolution by thanksgiving, ble ble ble, there were a couple mock ups of possible menus screens for buying old skoo games. all that jazz about how you could buy em one by one, or like, by a subscription, or w/e. i prefer roms though *cough* free *cough*

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
*cough*glitchy*cough*playedwithakeyboard*cough*
they're better than not playing the game at all(in most cases) but i'd rather play an official nintendo file rather than something someone illegally ported.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
'Tis true. I wish I still had an NES so I could play Mario Bros. games i n their purest form, with the old NES controller, as opposed to my sucky PC controller. Imagi ne playing Mario Bros. 1 with a JOYSTICK.

Then again, that's how it was in its original form, eh?

Anyway, in a recent mailbag to IGN, here is what Matt had to say concerning his recent trip to DICE and the concept of 3rd party support for the Virtual Console:

"Here's a scary revelation. A publisher at DICE told me that it met with Nintendo about putting its considerable library of classics on Revolution. According to this company - and bear in mind I cannot verify this as true - when it brought up the idea, a Nintendo representative blankly responded: "Oh, we hadn't thought about offering third party arcade games for the service yet." If this is true, I can only shake my head in disgust and pray that somebody somewhere gets fired."

Yea, pretty much...

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
i disagree. the only glithcy roms are for n64 emulators and whatnot. handheld emulators and roms aren't glitvchy at all. and think about it, old skool contollers for like nes and snes are just mini keyboards with a few button on them, they're not molded to fit your hands, so having a keyboard at your customizable disposal is ideal because you allready so comfortable with the keys. like, you right hand knows exactly where the directional keys are perfectly, and if you are a fan of wasd or esdf then there you go!

Top Bottom