• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Wii U) Why are Pilot Wings, Wuhu Island and Skyloft not legal?

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Well you cant ban cs, delfino, and halberg. So it's even. lol

double post (Sorry moderator) :(
Halberd is hardly a transforming stage. It goes from being a floating platform with long platform to a slightly larger walled platform with the exact same platform.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
It can kill you if you stay behind when the platform takes off though.
Yeah but that's such a minor part of the stage. If you pick halberd its either for the platform layout or the low ceiling.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I guess he forgot it.

Apparently sakurai has been doing it wrong, they just need to make every map a transformer so that we can have every stage legal. I didn't know that a people preferred transformers over neutral competitive stages.
We never said that. But we do prefer fine stages over not fine stages, and your reason for banning those 2 is water, which is non-intrusive and elfino has more of, and walkoffs, which are no longer a problem due to time limit and which Delfino has more of. Skyloft may have caves of life, but they are temporary. Wuhu may have more walkoffs, but they are temporary and the cooldowns between them and many, and long too. None of them are uncompetetive anyways, and the 2 of them were neutral until Apex happened and ruined Smash 4 in multiple ways.

None of them need to go because we'll still have more static stages. We, or at least I don't prefer transformers over everything, I'll be wiling to defend statics like Gamer, Norfair and Kalos as counterpicks, and I'm willing to let Pilotwings go and orbital Gate(Even though it's fine, it's too threatening for anyone to accept) > If we really preferred transformers, chances are Orbital Gate(which should) and Pilotwings(which should never come close), as well as Wooly World(nothing wrong apart from 50% walk off all at once unlike tother transformers and the transition from walkoff killing half the cast). They are not there, and we still have many static stages, so msot TOs are not transformer biased.

If two really have to go, Delfino should be first according to you. It has more of your 2 main problems, right?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
They mentioned the music specifically after being asked about Wuhu and Skyloft (in the same post). So yes, it's directly connected.
Chances are that those stages will be universally banned because of that for the sake of uniformity. Everyone tends to follow the rules set by EVO and APEX so the players don't have to constantly jump around new rules.
To reply to this specifically and ignore the rest of what has been a not very good argument over stage policy...

The only stages that APEX couldn't stream, to my knowledge (and they had omegas legal so they were not limited by the apparent stage list), were Onett and Windy Hill Zone. Stream set-ups in particular were just not allowed to pick those two omegas. I'm pretty sure, if asked for, any stage other than those two could be legal insofar as the music streaming rights are concerned. It seems likely EVO only asked for music streaming rights for nine stages and that Wuhu Island and Skyloft were not among them, and they can't exactly go back and renegotiate a contract with Nintendo at this point (though the terms of the contract are sealed under an NDA so we can't know for sure, this is the best assumption based on the evidence).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
They couldn't play certain stages in EVO stream because of music in some stages? That's the most ******** thing I've read in weeks. If that music has found itself into the game with hundreds of other songs why are those not able to be broadcasted? Typical Nintendo stupidity or some other legal issues they have no control over?

SuperSwagBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xCocho
Double Post Warning Received
We never said that. But we do prefer fine stages over not fine stages, and your reason for banning those 2 is water, which is non-intrusive and elfino has more of, and walkoffs, which are no longer a problem due to time limit and which Delfino has more of. Skyloft may have caves of life, but they are temporary. Wuhu may have more walkoffs, but they are temporary and the cooldowns between them and many, and long too. None of them are uncompetetive anyways, and the 2 of them were neutral until Apex happened and ruined Smash 4 in multiple ways.

None of them need to go because we'll still have more static stages. We, or at least I don't prefer transformers over everything, I'll be wiling to defend statics like Gamer, Norfair and Kalos as counterpicks, and I'm willing to let Pilotwings go and orbital Gate(Even though it's fine, it's too threatening for anyone to accept) > If we really preferred transformers, chances are Orbital Gate(which should) and Pilotwings(which should never come close), as well as Wooly World(nothing wrong apart from 50% walk off all at once unlike tother transformers and the transition from walkoff killing half the cast). They are not there, and we still have many static stages, so msot TOs are not transformer biased.

If two really have to go, Delfino should be first according to you. It has more of your 2 main problems, right?
I'm sorry kalos, norfair, and gamer? I didn't know running to a pod was competitve. This conversation is over xD We're thinking competitive here.
You're sticking on this water thing, I didn't say I'd prefer delfino the least from the 3. they all have water. There's a 50% chance you'll travel to a more or less flat stage with water on the side compared to ban-able things 80% of the time with a severely injured neutral game, with the other 2. I'll take my chances. Again, waiting it out on what becomes half the match isn't a justifiable answer.
I also don't believe that you understand my stage striking argument. It would be greatly off-set with too many transformers, because static stages are more competitive. Why? because they're static. We don't throw water on the floor of a basketball, move the hoop around, have the hoops different sizes and call it competitive because the players need to adapt to a silly situation.
The thought of playing something like Skyloft in a more competitive smash like melee and calling it competitive is truly a nightmare.

They couldn't play certain stages in EVO stream because of music in some stages? That's the most ******** thing I've read in weeks. If that music has found itself into the game with hundreds of other songs why are those not able to be broadcasted? Typical Nintendo stupidity or some other legal issues they have no control over?
Legal issues. They probably have licences to use the songs in their games, but playing them over a stream that makes money is a different story. They can just turn the music off lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Evo got a contract with Nintendo for what stages they could use and and only asked about the stages used at APEX. They never asked for Wuhu or Skyloft so they didn't get permission for them.

At this point trying to adjust the contract to add more stages would be at best a huge hassle.

Also, Music rights in games are dumb, you can get permission to make a video of a game by the game developer then get the video taken down by the company that owns the music. Kingdom Hearts LPs had a problem with this with the opening song being owned by a really aggressive record company.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm sorry kalos, norfair, and gamer? I didn't know running to a pod was competitve. This conversation is over xD We're thinking competitive here.
You're sticking on this water thing, I didn't say I'd prefer delfino the least from the 3. they all have water. There's a 50% chance you'll travel to a more or less flat stage with water on the side compared to ban-able things 80% of the time with a severely injured neutral game, with the other 2. I'll take my chances. Again, waiting it out on what becomes half the match isn't a justifiable answer.
I also don't believe that you understand my stage striking argument. It would be greatly off-set with too many transformers, because static stages are more competitive. Why? because they're static. We don't throw water on the floor of a basketball, move the hoop around, have the hoops different sizes and call it competitive because the players need to adapt to a silly situation.
The thought of playing something like Skyloft in a more competitive smash like melee and calling it competitive is truly a nightmare.

Ok that's it. I give up, there's no point arguing with a brick wall.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
This conversation is over xD
I cut out the rest of your post because I could go into paragraphs, even a few Word pages worth of responses to you and you thinking Skyloft is necessarily a nightmare, and your horrible examples on transformers. But this isn't worth the time. I look at your last post and see that nothing we do is gonna change anything you think. Also, you're entitled to my opinion, but not to insulting me. I'm glad this conversation is over.

Have a nice day. :shaker:(not really) 4ever M8

Last edited:

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
I don't get it, people constantly throw around that Skyloft and Wuhu should be banned because they are too similar to Delfino and would give certain characters a huge advantage (I believe this was even cited as to why Skyloft was banned at Xanadu).

What aspect of a stage traveling benefits characters? I guess the fact that they are all sharkable, but there's a ton more stages that aren't sharkable and sharking isn't even a problem. But besides that what? How is the fact that the stage travels benefit characters?
Really, this kind of thing was only a problem with Meta Knight in Brawl. Clearly we don't face that issue in Smash 4 anymore.

People are just too eager to ban stages in the Smash 4 commuity. We might as well start calling ourselves Stage Smogon.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Really, this kind of thing was only a problem with Meta Knight in Brawl. Clearly we don't face that issue in Smash 4 anymore.

People are just too eager to ban stages in the Smash 4 commuity. We might as well start calling ourselves Stage Smogon.
At least Smogon takes great care with their bans. Those guys take their rules and bans very seriously, it's a pleasure to read their analyzes.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
At least Smogon takes great care with their bans. Those guys take their rules and bans very seriously, it's a pleasure to read their analyzes.
I can't say I agree -- at least not this generation. Mega Lucario? Mega Mawile? Aegislash? Greninja? Chain Baton Pas? Swagger??

It's all ludicrous to me.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I can't say I agree -- at least not this generation. Mega Lucario? Mega Mawile? Aegislash? Greninja? Chain Baton Pas? Swagger??

They were all banned for a good reason. Mega Lucario was broken as ****, Baton Pass was extremely broken and Aegislash made every other Steel type obsolete. Swagger was also a very powerful move that relied heavily on luck, which Smogon tries to avoid.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754

I disagree with each of those bans, but I see their reasoning and despite thinking it's not that big an issue, I know they needed to happen. Mainly because the community refused to adapt to them, and if they didn't ban it, this thing would have ruined them. AKA their own stubbornness forced it to happen.

Batan Pass for example, dEnIsSsS topped the ladder for 5 months . This thing was destroying their meta, and even he was trying to get it nerfed because he caused a wave of noobs using this and getting into top 500/100/10. Someone said he even tried to copyright the team, and that didn't work, so it was decided that only 3 mons per team could have BP. Well that just made the team stronger, and he topped the ladders again, so now it's 1 mon. He's still using it, still wrecking people, and some people are trying to ban the thing entirely.

If the Showdown community wasn't so stubborn, the bans wouldn't have needed to happen. But Aegislash had no excuse to be banned. He was banned because he countered loads of anti-stall, that way they could ban all the anti-stall, and make the meta even stallier. The poster of this got hundreds of likes.

Yeah, despite this, the random ban advocates are worse than Smogon. At least Smogon's elitist oligarchy has some reasoning in it. These hating scrubs(only the scrubs, not the reasonable) ruining the game for us(Hawaii/Florida scenes for customs) are in the minority, but are vocal and accusive to the point where anyone arguing against them looks bad and feels bad and can't do a thing.

EDIT: Surprisingly, Megagross was not banned. K then.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Apparently, from what I heard about EVO, Skyloft and Wuhu Island aren't legal for copyright reasons because of it's music if nintendo's sponsoring.

...No idea how that works, but it's incredibly stupid.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Apparently, from what I heard about EVO, Skyloft and Wuhu Island aren't legal for copyright reasons because of it's music if nintendo's sponsoring.

...No idea how that works, but it's incredibly stupid.
Apparently there's 3rd party music, or something.

In which case, just turn that **** off.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
From Apex, the only stages they weren't allowed to use were Onett and Windy Hill Zone (also technically they weren't allowed to use Sonic or Ness, but they just turned off the music if they won). They were allowed to use Wuhu Island and Skyloft, so I don't see it being an issue outside of EVO (since they can't license more music then they already have).

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
From Apex, the only stages they weren't allowed to use were Onett and Windy Hill Zone (also technically they weren't allowed to use Sonic or Ness, but they just turned off the music if they won). They were allowed to use Wuhu Island and Skyloft, so I don't see it being an issue outside of EVO (since they can't license more music then they already have).
It's really stupid.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Losing a stage because of licensing is extremely stupid... Can anyone explain to me how that works? Nintendo has the license to put it in a game, but not stream it? Wouldn't a simple request fix this?

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Losing a stage because of licensing is extremely stupid... Can anyone explain to me how that works? Nintendo has the license to put it in a game, but not stream it? Wouldn't a simple request fix this?
Streaming the music and putting it in a game are two different things even if it's a stream of the game that has that music in it, and depending on the contract Nintendo had with the music owner they may not be able to have music streamed at events they are sponsoring, although I think EVO could have gotten some more stages if they didn't just copy paste the APEX list when asking Nintendo for legal stages.

Basically Music companies are worse then dragons when it comes to letting people use their stuff.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
As if anyone at the tournament gives a crap about the music. But why it matters if it's a Nintendo sponsored tournament versus a grassroots tournament is beyond me. Also, is anyone really making any money here aside from venue owners and winners?

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I'm confused. So is your definition of competitive is 'not running to a pod'? Until you provide a clear line of logic that implies that implies running to a pod is inherently non-competitive, no one can even try to contradict your point. And that's a bad thing.

Actually, I think I understand your misunderstanding, and I think it's a lot on the part of others for not explaining right, but then again I'm not really one to say one way or the other. I understand it like this: there's a transformation of Delfino that has a wall. I've seen this wall used in creative ways, which is a good thing. It spices up competitive and rewards experimentation and creativity. However, sometimes the wall leads to a stalemate. This is why stages like this are normally banned, because they sometimes lead to a stalemate. However, Delfino inevitably moves away, s there is no problem.

In other words, just because a stage would be banned if it wasn't just a transformation doesn't mean it will always lead to degenerate gameplay. If Skyloft goes to a 'banned' stage 50% of the time, that doesn't mean that 50% of the time there won't be fighting, or that 50% of the time degenerate behavior will occur.

These 2 situations aren't equivalent. You never tried to prove they are equivalent. It's nothing but rhetoric, I'm afraid. People won't take you seriously not because they disagree with you, but because your attempts to refute them aren't grounded enough to argue against their points.

Legal issues. They probably have licences to use the songs in their games, but playing them over a stream that makes money is a different story. They can just turn the music off lol
That's an interesting point. Why can't they? I imagine they don't want the music off for the stages that do have music they can use, and it would take too much time to switch. That's all I can think of.

Last edited:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
So my local tourney had a stage list of 8 stages, and I thought it was pretty weak and argued against it. But they're making some awesome changes, notably 3 stocks and an addition of one stage. They also changed to a full list striking system.

I tried to get it raised to 13. However they made one argument that had me swayed. A problem that players had was that when there are too many stages, they feel the need to "throw away their bans" on stages they feel aren't good stages and then have to deal with the ones they couldn't ban.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So my local tourney had a stage list of 8 stages, and I thought it was pretty weak and argued against it. But they're making some awesome changes, notably 3 stocks and an addition of one stage. They also changed to a full list striking system.

I tried to get it raised to 13. However they made one argument that had me swayed. A problem that players had was that when there are too many stages, they feel the need to "throw away their bans" on stages they feel aren't good stages and then have to deal with the ones they couldn't ban.
I'm not very sympathetic to their argument, to be frank. If your character does well on, say, Wuhu Island, what does it matter if you dislike it personally? It's to your advantage to pick it and banning it is just shooting yourself in the foot. (To pick a random stage as an example, you get the point.)

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754

Each stage is very different, it's unlikely that they'll hate all of them. And if that happens, and the stage gets chosen, choose a different character. If you don't want a stage because it's "tooo many", I don't know what to tell them. The argument is just a mess to argue, yet one of the most logically useless arguments there.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
I think we should bring back kongo jungle, btw. It's symmetrical and moves at a fixed rate.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
For Pilot wings you can stands on the landing pads on the yellow plane to camp it out unless I am wrong somewhere on that front.

Last edited:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I'm not very sympathetic to their argument, to be frank. If your character does well on, say, Wuhu Island, what does it matter if you dislike it personally? It's to your advantage to pick it and banning it is just shooting yourself in the foot. (To pick a random stage as an example, you get the point.)
It's not about just not liking it, but thinking it's going to screw them over because it's a bad stage in general.

I mean I would go 13 stages personally. To hell with what anyone thinks. But I think some of the reasons they were giving were fairly legit.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It's not about just not liking it, but thinking it's going to screw them over because it's a bad stage in general.

I mean I would go 13 stages personally. To hell with what anyone thinks. But I think some of the reasons they were giving were fairly legit.
The arguments for why the 13 stages I'm sure we all know about are not, in fact, bad stages are very old hat so I won't bother reiterating them, especially since it seems like you agree already anyway.

I'm actually a believer that a fair number of "bad" stages only seem bad when you look at it without understanding how it works. At the very least, knowledge is power. That's part of why I'm doing my stage threads.

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
Any stage that has a walk-off is definitely not worth being legal in my opinion. Did you see the grand finals of Apex in 2015? Dabuz tried to camp the 2nd transformation of Castle Siege by trying to abuse the walk-offs. Luckily Zero is not that dumb, but it still shouldn't be possible. My problem is stages like these being legal. Pilotwings has too much stuff that throw you back onto the level and gives floaty characters advantages because of the area above the wheels and the red plane is also very campy and gives characters like King Dedede overwhelming advantages since some characters like Fox can't use his laser because of the tilting. Wuhu Island has many walk-offs. Nice looking stage, just not fit. I don't think Delfino Plaza or castle Siege should be legal they have problems. Pokemon Stadium 2 is a disaster... Halberd is Ok, but Skyloft is actually pretty nice, just has some problems like every other transformation stage. Duck Hunt Stage is actually a pretty good counter-pick if I say so myself. Just like Halberd you can tell the Dog will pop up the moment the ducks are off screen or in the Halberd Case when the laser starts making noises.

NNID
Budget_Player
Any stage that has a walk-off is definitely not worth being legal in my opinion. Did you see the grand finals of Apex in 2015? Dabuz tried to camp the 2nd transformation of Castle Siege by trying to abuse the walk-offs. Luckily Zero is not that dumb, but it still shouldn't be possible.
Great. Ban Smashville and Town and City, then, because you can do the same thing on both of them by grabbing someone on the platform. Oh, and that doesn't go away on Smashville. Ever. You do realize that "the opponent is not that dumb and therefore didn't fall for it" pretty much says it all, right? Wait 40 seconds and it's over. If the walkoff is temporary, unless there's something similarly dumb on the rest of the transformations, then you can wait it out. It's not broken. It's not degenerate. It's only abusable if your opponent decides to take a huge risk - if they play poorly.

My problem is stages like these being legal. Pilotwings has too much stuff that throw you back onto the level and gives floaty characters advantages because of the area above the wheels and the red plane is also very campy and gives characters like King Dedede overwhelming advantages since some characters like Fox can't use his laser because of the tilting.
Pilotwings is universally banned, but not for any of the reasons you just listed. You almost hit on it when you said the red plane was campy, but no. The reason it's banned is because camping underneath a platform with a wall to your back is an incredibly powerful fortified position, and you can camp the engine on the yellow planes for a more or less hard circle. It has nothing to do with the stage tilting.

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
Great. Ban Smashville and Town and City, then, because you can do the same thing on both of them by grabbing someone on the platform. Oh, and that doesn't go away on Smashville. Ever. You do realize that "the opponent is not that dumb and therefore didn't fall for it" pretty much says it all, right? Wait 40 seconds and it's over. If the walkoff is temporary, unless there's something similarly dumb on the rest of the transformations, then you can wait it out. It's not broken. It's not degenerate. It's only abusable if your opponent decides to take a huge risk - if they play poorly.

Pilotwings is universally banned, but not for any of the reasons you just listed. You almost hit on it when you said the red plane was campy, but no. The reason it's banned is because camping underneath a platform with a wall to your back is an incredibly powerful fortified position, and you can camp the engine on the yellow planes for a more or less hard circle. It has nothing to do with the stage tilting.
My reasons are still good nonetheless. People who organize tournaments don't think that in-depth and that is what frustrates me. But with Smashville and Town and City you have other ways of approaching the opponent while in Castle Siege 2 you have **** that blocks your projectiles as opposed to being able to go under and attack instead of being forced to make an aerial attack just to have it shielded then grabbed then cheap instant kill. Walk offs ruin a game as they remove off-stage gameplay and allow for easy and early kills. They shouldn't be allowed what so ever. It takes one hit near the edge as opposed to in a stage like battlefield you have to make multiple attacks and edgeguard while in Delfino Plaza you can make one cheap attack without much effort and win. That's what is frustrating. Working to earn kills should not be as simple as blocking to grabbing or require a simple cheap tactic.

Top Bottom