• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U starting roster revealed? + Amiibo and streetsmash sections of the smash site

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry8.html
This'd be the Amiibo section, and our first picture of the Wii U roster since E3. Maybe I'm not remembering right, but this appears to be the 3DS starting roster plus Bowser Jr, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, and Ness. Isn't everybody besides Ness hard to unlock? Like I said, it could be the Wii U version starting roster.

http://www.smashbros.com/us/3ds/gamemode/entry4.html
Then this'd be the streetsmash section. Basically just a tutorial. Nothing to see here, folks!

Mechageo

Smash Ace

Here's the roster from the Amiibo page blown up and enhanced a bit.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Here one note guys thats a 4 x 12, 3 of the 51 can't fit

Im sensing it helps that theory on a couple of temporary wii u exclusive character due to adding a single row

zferolie

Smash Hero
I made this for the tower of smash page, since i noticed A LOT of empty black space between rows and columns. I tried my best to make it fit in paint. I wasn't able to remove all the column black space but you should be able to fit if one does. Also it's done in paint so not the prettiest.

I included the names of the missing unlockables, the ToS and Smash world rumors, as well as the 3 missing vets from brawl(minus snake)

Mechageo

Smash Ace

Im sensing it helps that theory on a couple of temporary wii u exclusive character due to adding a single row
Yeah, the longest row is 12 fighters long. 12 x 4 = 48.

I took the image and tested that theory. Here are my findings:

The roster image shows three rows of empty padding between the fighter rows. This doesn't include the empty padding on the top and bottom of the fighters.

To add a fourth row, we'd need to remove all of the padding. Interestingly:

Each fighter box in this blown up picture is 54 pixels tall. Each empty space in the picture is 18 pixels tall.
18 x 3 = 54
The math is an EXACT match.

If every spot was filled, this would allow a total of 60 possible slots.

This isn't including the half-a-spot empty space on the left and right sides.
If it did, we could fit 5 more fighters.

If we didn't remove the name spaces, we would have room for up to five more fighters based on the black space on the sides.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace

The roster image shows three rows of empty padding between the fighter rows. This doesn't include the empty padding on the top and bottom of the fighters.

Each fighter box in this blown up picture is 54 pixels tall. Each empty space in the picture is 18 pixels tall.
18 x 3 = 54

I think the term right now is "get hyped".

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace

18 x 3 = 54

In other words, I smell DLC.

Not getting my hopes up, but the 'leak' is not looking too badly right now.

zferolie

Smash Hero

18 x 3 = 54

Yeah, this makes the most sense. I decided I didn't like mine and made one like yours in a simular way

So yeah I am pretty sure we are getting DLC, or the link up rumor is true.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
It's funny how Bowser Jr and Jigglypuff are there, but I don't think this is the starting roster, the starting roster will likely just be the 3DS's starting roster.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
It's funny how Bowser Jr and Jigglypuff are there, but I don't think this is the starting roster, the starting roster will likely just be the 3DS's starting roster.
You're probably right, as some of those characters are locked behind the "hidden character" wall on the official site.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

18 x 3 = 54

Now what do you think of the uneven rows in the default picture? Me, I believe it will carry over to the final roster. Something like 10, 12, 10, 10, 8.

Filling up the screen doesn't really matter... Remember when everyone did the same with Smash 3DS?

Don't get too hyped yet. :smirk:

Last edited:

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
I agree that filling the screen doesn't say much. This also probably disproves Tower of Smash, sadly.

I'm going to assume that the starting roster is still probably the same as the 3ds version's. That said though, I'm surprised that there are no names under the characters. There's clearly room right now. If anything, I'd say this perhaps supports DLC to fill the screen. If it wasn't for that, there is plenty of room for names. In fact, the space beneath is exactly the right size. If the roster is the same size as the 3ds version's, I calculate that it nearly fits to make a rectangle without compression, but not quite. I'm saying this if the rectangle doesn't reach the corner of the screen. If it doesn't, there's room for seven more, one less than the 3ds roster. If it does touch the edges, there's plenty of room to go around. So why not names? It just looks weird to have a space for no reason. The only way no names would work for me is if they fill up the screen completely.

fuljak

Smash Rookie
Shouldn't the names be filling the small gap between rows? Every other piece of text was removed from the picture.

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
Shouldn't the names be filling the small gap between rows? Every other piece of text was removed from the picture.
Good point. All the text seems to have been taken out. In that case, the roster will fit the screen very well as a solid rectangle.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
So, I made something with Paint. It shows how 60 spaces could fit; on 2 pages. We would need navigation arrows, two of them. Then two Mii and Random spaces. If we would do (8x4)x2, we would have 58 spaces left, and that's 60 minus Mii minus Random so all the characters that would fit on the Wii U CSS aside from Mii obv. Fits nicely with the franchises too.

and yes i know this looks pretty bad

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
So, I made something with Paint. It shows how 60 spaces could fit; on 2 pages. We would need navigation arrows, two of them. Then two Mii and Random spaces. If we would do (8x4)x2, we would have 58 spaces left, and that's 60 minus Mii minus Random so all the characters that would fit on the Wii U CSS aside from Mii obv. Fits nicely with the franchises too.

and yes i know this looks pretty bad
I think it'd be safer to have DLC characters on Page 2 and the main 49 cast to stay on Page 1. It would kind of give the DLC characters a special place.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I think it'd be safer to have DLC characters on Page 2 and the main 49 cast to stay on Page 1. It would kind of give the DLC characters a special place.
The only problem would be then that it would look kinda iffy to have a whole screen for 10 DLC characters. Also, the way I did it would make the roster look more organized like it was in Brawl and SSB64.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I just can't see Bowser Jr as a starter, but I'm hoping it increases the chances for the new characters.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
But really, I find it interesting that they would use that spoiling Bowser Jr. if he wasn't starting roster, but it's kinda weird.
It would also be nice if he was just cut but whatever.

I agree that filling the screen doesn't say much. This also probably disproves Tower of Smash, sadly.

I'm going to assume that the starting roster is still probably the same as the 3ds version's. That said though, I'm surprised that there are no names under the characters. There's clearly room right now. If anything, I'd say this perhaps supports DLC to fill the screen. If it wasn't for that, there is plenty of room for names. In fact, the space beneath is exactly the right size. If the roster is the same size as the 3ds version's, I calculate that it nearly fits to make a rectangle without compression, but not quite. I'm saying this if the rectangle doesn't reach the corner of the screen. If it doesn't, there's room for seven more, one less than the 3ds roster. If it does touch the edges, there's plenty of room to go around. So why not names? It just looks weird to have a space for no reason. The only way no names would work for me is if they fill up the screen completely.
While there are no names, there really isn't much of anything. There is no text.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Bowser Jr., Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, and Ness are all starters? What?

Though I guess there's always the (slim) possibility that the roster seen in that image was currently being unlocked. I don't really see how this disproves ToS, although I never really believed its legitimacy.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Trying to remember; did Little Mac ever jump to a different row as you unlocked characters in the 3DS? Cause he's between DK and Zelda here while in the 3DS final roster he's between Kirby and Star Fox.

Also, while I wouldn't be surprised if some DLC characters were on the way, I wouldn't jump on the "There's extra space!" train just yet. We saw how that turned out with the 3DS version.

Khao

Smash Lord

Or it could be expanded to 4x13, leaving enough space for random and Mii icons, plus two empty slots, Melee-style. It'd be pretty much like the roster on my sig + Mii fighters. (And probably a completely different order.)

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Filling up the screen doesn't really matter... Remember when everyone did the same with Smash 3DS?

Don't get too hyped yet. :smirk:
The point is the width of the biggest row is bizarre.

At the time it's 12×4, which can't fit the entire roster, so we know there's going to be another row. As the dead space is exactly the width of a new row, it seems almost certain that there is going to be that row 5. The worry then is about the number of columns. We know that at least one row is going to have 12 columns, but 5 rows of 10 fits the roster, and 5 rows of 11 fits with space to play with. The fact that there's at least one row of 12 suggests strongly that they are going to need in excess of 55 slots.

It's not a certainty, as we can't predict the Mashpotato Samurai, but ultimately from what we know it is very interesting.

Or it could be expanded to 4x13, leaving enough space for random and Mii icons, plus two empty slots, Melee-style. It'd be pretty much like the roster on my sig + Mii fighters. (And probably a completely different order.)
Too crushed into the sides (there isn't enough space without changing aspect ratio), while there is exactly enough space in the dead space between rows.

Again:
- There will need to be either new rows or columns to fit the characters we already know of
- If it follows the same pattern as the 3DS version the aspect ratio of the tiles remains the same
- There isn't enough space for it to be new columns
- There is exactly enough space for the dead space in the image to be replaced by having an extra row
- We know that the largest row has 12
- There is no need for this as 10×5 is more than enough, as is 11×5

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
What annoys me about this is the fact they have mostly clones as unlockables! Most the new characters I cared about are already in the starting roster. C'mon atleast make me earn it! Like the good ol Melee days....anyway it's kinda nice to finally get a good look at the Wii U select screen.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Nope check the picture theres no room for a 13th (can't squish the character box to much.)

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Now what do you think of the uneven rows in the default picture? Me, I believe it will carry over to the final roster. Something like 10, 12, 10, 10, 8.
It could very well end up that way. Melee and the 3DS version have rosters that taper at the bottom.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Trying to remember; did Little Mac ever jump to a different row as you unlocked characters in the 3DS? Cause he's between DK and Zelda here while in the 3DS final roster he's between Kirby and Star Fox.

Also, while I wouldn't be surprised if some DLC characters were on the way, I wouldn't jump on the "There's extra space!" train just yet. We saw how that turned out with the 3DS version.
No characters jump around in the 3DS version, they just slide right and down to make room for new unlocks. However, the placement of G&W, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B. is not particularly meaningful, as they basically just fill up space at the ends of rows. The series from Mario->Pokemon are in chronological order of their first release. Then the single-rep series are also organized by release date. As a result, the roster isn't optimized to fit particularly well in a 9x6. The retro characters were basically just popped in as fillers to cap out rows in the 3DS CSS (though they were actually ordered chronologically in relation to each other: G&W->LM->DHD->ROB). It looks like the retros will be filler in the Wii U CSS as well, as Little Mac is after the DK characters near the end of row 1, probably preceded by G&W to fill space. There is a slim probability he is there because Punch-Out!! released between Mario and Zelda, though. It's just unlikely because on Wii U single-rep series appear to come after the main series, like in the 3DS CSS, so if Little Mac's not filler he, G&W, DHD, and R.O.B. should be down by Ness.

This brings me to what I think is the most interesting part of this CSS picture: the order of characters has changed from the E3 demo. Despite the fact that the 3DS CSS changed hugely in appearance between E3 and release, the order of characters was always the same. For example, Yoshi came before DK, who came before Zelda. There were people added in between, sure, but Zelda never was before DK. In fact, there was not a single change in CSS order for the 3DS game. For the Wii U, though, everything has been moved around. Metroid has jumped from before the Zelda characters to after them, the FE reps leapfrogged ahead of both Star Fox and Kirby characters, and Villager and Little Mac shifted across the entire CSS. Also, Greninja moved to the right of Pikachu (why he was ever on the left is beyond me). The order didn't make much sense initially, but now the series are all in chronological order, just like on the 3DS. I wonder why they changed the order up so much late in development.

Using the 3DS CSS as a base, I expect the final roster will look something like:

*Note: the clones are in their own corner because they don't fit with their series; Dark Pit and Lucina can't both squeeze into row 2, unless another column is added, which would make the roster pretty hideous.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The series from Mario->Pokemon are in chronological order of their first release.
They aren't. Rosalina is arranged to be before Bowser Jr, and Lucario before Jigglypuff. Which is way off if we're talking release order.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
No characters jump around in the 3DS version, they just slide right and down to make room for new unlocks. However, the placement of G&W, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B. is not particularly meaningful, as they basically just fill up space at the ends of rows. The series from Mario->Pokemon are in chronological order of their first release. Then the single-rep series are also organized by release date. As a result, the roster isn't optimized to fit particularly well in a 9x6. The retro characters were basically just popped in as fillers to cap out rows in the 3DS CSS (though they were actually ordered chronologically in relation to each other: G&W->LM->DHD->ROB). It looks like the retros will be filler in the Wii U CSS as well, as Little Mac is after the DK characters near the end of row 1, probably preceded by G&W to fill space. There is a slim probability he is there because Punch-Out!! released between Mario and Zelda, though. It's just unlikely because on Wii U single-rep series appear to come after the main series, like in the 3DS CSS, so if he's not filler he should be there.

This brings me to what I think is the most interesting part of this CSS picture: the order of characters has changed from the E3 demo. Despite the fact that the 3DS CSS changed hugely in appearance between E3 and release, the order of characters was always the same. For example, Yoshi came before DK, who came before Zelda. There were people added in between, sure, but Zelda never was before DK. In fact, there was not a single change in CSS order for the 3DS game. For the Wii U, though, everything has been moved around. Metroid has jumped from before the Zelda characters to after them, the FE reps leapfrogged ahead of both Star Fox and Kirby characters, and Villager and Little Mac shifted across the entire CSS. Also, Greninja moved to the right of Pikachu (why he was ever on the left is beyond me). The order didn't make much sense initially, but now the series are all in chronological order, just like on the 3DS. I wonder why they changed the order up so much late in development.

Using the 3DS CSS as a base, I expect the final roster will look something like:

*Note: the clones are in their own corner because they don't fit with their series; Dark Pit and Lucina can't both squeeze into row 2, unless another column is added, which would make the roster pretty hideous.
Great work on that layout. That does seem very logical.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No characters jump around in the 3DS version, they just slide right and down to make room for new unlocks. However, the placement of G&W, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B. is not particularly meaningful, as they basically just fill up space at the ends of rows. The series from Mario->Pokemon are in chronological order of their first release. Then the single-rep series are also organized by release date. As a result, the roster isn't optimized to fit particularly well in a 9x6. The retro characters were basically just popped in as fillers to cap out rows in the 3DS CSS (though they were actually ordered chronologically in relation to each other: G&W->LM->DHD->ROB). It looks like the retros will be filler in the Wii U CSS as well, as Little Mac is after the DK characters near the end of row 1, probably preceded by G&W to fill space. There is a slim probability he is there because Punch-Out!! released between Mario and Zelda, though. It's just unlikely because on Wii U single-rep series appear to come after the main series, like in the 3DS CSS, so if he's not filler he should be there.

That'd leave a ton of vertical space, though. And we've determined the roster will likely be 12 slots wide at most.

Top Bottom