• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U starting roster revealed? + Amiibo and streetsmash sections of the smash site

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
They aren't. Rosalina is arranged to be before Bowser Jr, and Lucario before Jigglypuff. Which is way off if we're talking release order.
Sorry, I meant the franchises as a whole are arranged chronologically in relation to each other. So the Mario series is before the Zelda series, the FE series is before the Kirby series, and so on. The organization within series seems pretty inconsistent. The Mario/Yoshi/Wario series is particular makes less than 0 sense.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
TBH I don't think they are really meant to be grouped in any specific order, beyond keeping franchises grouped together (and even then, they make exceptions, with "the clone corner", and Yoshi splitting the Mario reps).

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
That'd leave a ton of vertical space, though. And we've determined the roster will likely be 12 slots wide at most.
I'll admit, I am pretty stumped by this CSS. I've tried messing around with 5-row rosters, since it does look like a 5th row could fit, but the shapes almost always end up looking really gross. The top two rows each need at least 12 slots, since row 2 is already filled and row 1 is at 10, plus Wario and Mr. Game & Watch (who will almost assuredly be before Little Mac). From there, our only option is a weird upside-down triangle CSS like the 3DS, which looks super sloppy imo. I'd hope they would change the size of the squares before resorting to such hideousness... but I guess we'll see. Below are my best attempts at a 5 row roster.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'll admit, I am pretty stumped by this CSS. I've tried messing around with 5-row rosters, since it does look like a 5th row could fit, but the shapes almost always end up looking really gross. The top two rows each need at least 12 slots, since row 2 is already filled and row 1 is at 10, plus Wario and Mr. Game & Watch (who will almost assuredly be before Little Mac). From there, our only option is a weird upside-down triangle CSS like the 3DS, which looks super sloppy imo. I'd hope they would change the size of the squares before resorting to such hideousness... but I guess we'll see. Below are my best attempts at a 5 row roster.

In the top one, try moving Mac and G&W down to the fourth row from the top, then Duck Hunt and ROB to the bottom. I'm more concerned with the general shape then the series placement with this. Remember the official Wii U rosters? They have one middle row much longer then the rest. The final roster might look the same in that regard.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
In the top one, try moving Mac and G&W down to the fourth row from the top, then Duck Hunt and ROB to the bottom. I'm more concerned with the general shape then the series placement with this. Remember the official Wii U rosters? They have one middle row much longer then the rest. The final roster might look the same in that regard.
I totally would, but Little Mac is next to Diddy in Dojo roster pic. So... Mac is definitely in row 1. If the 3DS CSS is any indication - and this CSS greatly follows the patterns of the 3DS roster - then the retro characters will be used for padding out uneven rows. However they will still likely be in chronological order in relation to each other, since this CSS is built around chronology. So G&W has to be before Mac, helping to pad row 1. Thus that row ends up 12 squares long.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
This is awesome!! if all the pokemon and zelda characters are unlocked from the start maybe we could get a new one (Impa and Mewtwo anybody?). Also if ness is a starter maybe Lucas is coming back, It's a shame falco isn't on here though

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
No characters jump around in the 3DS version, they just slide right and down to make room for new unlocks. However, the placement of G&W, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B. is not particularly meaningful, as they basically just fill up space at the ends of rows. The series from Mario->Pokemon are in chronological order of their first release. Then the single-rep series are also organized by release date. As a result, the roster isn't optimized to fit particularly well in a 9x6. The retro characters were basically just popped in as fillers to cap out rows in the 3DS CSS (though they were actually ordered chronologically in relation to each other: G&W->LM->DHD->ROB). It looks like the retros will be filler in the Wii U CSS as well, as Little Mac is after the DK characters near the end of row 1, probably preceded by G&W to fill space. There is a slim probability he is there because Punch-Out!! released between Mario and Zelda, though. It's just unlikely because on Wii U single-rep series appear to come after the main series, like in the 3DS CSS, so if Little Mac's not filler he, G&W, DHD, and R.O.B. should be down by Ness.

This brings me to what I think is the most interesting part of this CSS picture: the order of characters has changed from the E3 demo. Despite the fact that the 3DS CSS changed hugely in appearance between E3 and release, the order of characters was always the same. For example, Yoshi came before DK, who came before Zelda. There were people added in between, sure, but Zelda never was before DK. In fact, there was not a single change in CSS order for the 3DS game. For the Wii U, though, everything has been moved around. Metroid has jumped from before the Zelda characters to after them, the FE reps leapfrogged ahead of both Star Fox and Kirby characters, and Villager and Little Mac shifted across the entire CSS. Also, Greninja moved to the right of Pikachu (why he was ever on the left is beyond me). The order didn't make much sense initially, but now the series are all in chronological order, just like on the 3DS. I wonder why they changed the order up so much late in development.

Using the 3DS CSS as a base, I expect the final roster will look something like:

*Note: the clones are in their own corner because they don't fit with their series; Dark Pit and Lucina can't both squeeze into row 2, unless another column is added, which would make the roster pretty hideous.
13 wide doesn't fit. The space exactly fits a 5th row though. The tiles wouldn't be that shape if they were going to have a 13th column. What we know so far is that the aspect ratio of the tiles doesn't change when you unlock, only the size, and considering that a 5th can be incorporated without changing their size at all, let alone aspect ratio, it seems the most likely right now.

Great work on that layout. That does seem very logical.
It really doesn't it goes against at least 3 major observations:

1. The aspect ratio of tiles did not change in the 3DS version, despite size changes
2. There is not enough space for a 13th column
3. There is exactly enough space for a 5th row

For this to happen, either the aspect ratio would need to change, the dead space between the rows would become massive, or some tiles would be cut off the border. The fact that the tiles are that shape, and there's exactly enough space for a 5th row suggests that we'll have a grid that has 5 rows, not 13 columns.

Last edited:

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
13 wide doesn't fit. The space exactly fits a 5th row though. The tiles wouldn't be that shape if they were going to have a 13th column. What we know so far is that the aspect ratio of the tiles doesn't change when you unlock, only the size, and considering that a 5th can be incorporated without changing their size at all, let alone aspect ratio, it seems the most likely right now.

It really doesn't it goes against at least 3 major observations:

1. The aspect ratio of tiles did not change in the 3DS version, despite size changes
2. There is not enough space for a 13th column
3. There is exactly enough space for a 5th row

For this to happen, either the aspect ratio would need to change, the dead space between the rows would become massive, or some tiles would be cut off the border. The fact that the tiles are that shape, and there's exactly enough space for a 5th row suggests that we'll have a grid that has 5 rows, not 13 columns.
Already addressed it. Look at my post on this page. I've got a couple 5-row CSS's mocked up. They're all pretty stupid looking, though, imo. I don't know why Sakurai wouldn't go for a more rectangular roster. It's not like they couldn't have changed the size of the squares. The SSB team is usually so logical in their CSS organization, but this time around it's... strange, to say the least.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Already addressed it. Look at my post on this page. I've got a couple 5-row CSS's mocked up. They're all pretty stupid looking, though, imo. I don't know why Sakurai wouldn't go for a more rectangular roster. It's not like they couldn't have changed the size of the squares. The SSB team is usually so logical in their CSS organization, but this time around it's... strange, to say the least.
I have a suspicion it's because they're preparing for DLC characters of some sort. With 9×6 for the 3DS screen (54) and 12×5 (60) for the Wii U, having 53 playable characters seems quite likely, if not more.

That's the thing, it just looks weird, as does the order (i.e. Clone Corner), it looks unfinished and with the roster they showed us for the Wii U, it does force the question.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
The roster don't have NAMES????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The box of the character are even smaller and the character select screen feel there can be more characters. More character are coming up in DLC!

Thanks sakurai to spoil Ness and Jigglypuff. Now we can see most roster with all the original 12 there. Oh and Bowser Jr. because Mario theory is dead because of you and the koopalings.
Yeah, the longest row is 12 fighters long. 12 x 4 = 48.

I took the image and tested that theory. Here are my findings:

The roster image shows three rows of empty padding between the fighter rows. This doesn't include the empty padding on the top and bottom of the fighters.

To add a fourth row, we'd need to remove all of the padding. Interestingly:

Each fighter box in this blown up picture is 54 pixels tall. Each empty space in the picture is 18 pixels tall.
18 x 3 = 54
The math is an EXACT match.

If every spot was filled, this would allow a total of 60 possible slots.
Interesting analysis there.

Espio264

Smash Ace

If the 12 x 5 layout is indeed what they go with, and the 5 most often rumored DLC characters are included into the rows with their respective series, same goes for the 3 clones, your layouts here actually work pretty well.

Here goes:

1. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Rosalina, Jr., Doc, Wario, DK, Diddy, Dixie - 12

2. G&W, Mac, Duck Hunt Dog, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Impa, Samus, ZS, Ridley - 12

3. Pit, Palutena, Pittaggin, Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, Fox, Falco - 12

4. Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, Jiggs, Greninja, ROB, Ness, C Falcon, Villager - 10

5. Olimar, WFT, Chorus Men, Shulk, Pac Man, Megaman, Sonic, Miis, Random - 9.

Seems to fit the Sakurai approved layouts that we've seen before.

It's whatever though. As long as they shove Mewtwo in there, I'm quite happy.

CanadianSmasher1992

Smash Cadet
After reading this thread, I just feel so much more confident in the prospect of there being a few more characters. I'm hyped! Especially if its true that the CSS can only be 12 slots wide max.

I have a question... since there's evidence pointing to the Wii U version having a 5x12 CSS, which adds up to 60 slots. Does anyone know if it would be possible to make the 3DS CSS also have 60 slots-- say a 6x10 CSS perhaps-- without ruining the aspect ratio or quality of the icons? If it is possible, that could mean that there are a lot more characters in store

LosTimeTurner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lostimeturner
Or one character slot can be used as an arrow..... Why?
TO GO TO THE NEXT PAGE OF CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES.png

PeterJude

Smash Ace
If the 12 x 5 layout is indeed what they go with, and the 5 most often rumored DLC characters are included into the rows with their respective series, same goes for the 3 clones, your layouts here actually work pretty well.

Here goes:

1. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Rosalina, Jr., Doc, Wario, DK, Diddy, Dixie - 12

2. G&W, Mac, Duck Hunt Dog, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Impa, Samus, ZS, Ridley - 12

3. Pit, Palutena, Pittaggin, Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, Fox, Falco - 12

4. Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, Jiggs, Greninja, ROB, Ness, C Falcon, Villager - 10

5. Olimar, WFT, Chorus Men, Shulk, Pac Man, Megaman, Sonic, Miis, Random - 9.

Seems to fit the Sakurai approved layouts that we've seen before.

It's whatever though. As long as they shove Mewtwo in there, I'm quite happy.
That works surprisingly well...

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the wii U's starting roster is going to be any different from the 3DS's. It's probably just a screen shot of the roster with a few people who were just unlocked.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I made this for the tower of smash page, since i noticed A LOT of empty black space between rows and columns. I tried my best to make it fit in paint. I wasn't able to remove all the column black space but you should be able to fit if one does. Also it's done in paint so not the prettiest.

I included the names of the missing unlockables, the ToS and Smash world rumors, as well as the 3 missing vets from brawl(minus snake)
Hahaa!! Thats hillarious, pretty sure the screen would just change like in the 3ds version

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Anybody see the Amazon leak? It shows a roster with even less starting characters then the 3DS version. It's missing Peach, Sheik, Toon Link, Charizard, and Lucario to name a few.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Anybody see the Amazon leak? It shows a roster with even less starting characters then the 3DS version. It's missing Peach, Sheik, Toon Link, Charizard, and Lucario to name a few.
This has been explained for the 4th or 5th time today. It's the E3 build's screen...

Last edited:

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Wow! 12x5 by seems the most likely and I'm certain more characters are coming!

For those saying a second page with an arrow icon would work; it won't work on the Wii U version because if you and your friends are playing on one console, it'll be hard to pick a page 1 character when someone switches to the second page.

"Let me pick a page two character first then we can switch back to page 1" seems like a tacky way to go.

@ Espio264 Espio264 The problem is, what if Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers become DLC? you left room for Lucas and Ice Climbers but not Wolf unless the clones. (Doc, Pittoo, and Lucina) get their own grouping again then it works out better. Unless of course DLC is being tossed in haphazardly on the CSS to fill in gaps.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I think it's safe to say that these people do not care for spoilers anymore. And I can understand it after the ESRB leak.

I'm still hyped for DLC.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Yeah, the longest row is 12 fighters long. 12 x 4 = 48.

I took the image and tested that theory. Here are my findings:

The roster image shows three rows of empty padding between the fighter rows. This doesn't include the empty padding on the top and bottom of the fighters.

To add a fourth row, we'd need to remove all of the padding. Interestingly:

Each fighter box in this blown up picture is 54 pixels tall. Each empty space in the picture is 18 pixels tall.
18 x 3 = 54
The math is an EXACT match.

If every spot was filled, this would allow a total of 60 possible slots.

This isn't including the half-a-spot empty space on the left and right sides.
If it did, we could fit 5 more fighters.

If we didn't remove the name spaces, we would have room for up to five more fighters based on the black space on the sides.
Fixed my bad image links for this

Top Bottom