• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U pro controler best competitive controls.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
So in the 3ds version I found myself turning off tilt jump for 2 reasons. Buttons are more responsive, jumps more accurate as you can direct where you are going better by using analog stick after pressing button to jump, also tilt ups are easier.

What are you guys finding easier? Will be concentrating more on wii pro controller people.

Apologies if there is a thread about this elsewhere, I don't have the time right now to find it. So any moderatera, feel free to delete this if you want if you point me to another thread :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I'm more of a fan of the GC controller, but since I'm still waiting for the adapter to arrive for me, this is what I'm using on my Pro Controller:

A = Grab, as a quick grab button
B = Special
X = Attack (easier for me to reach than A)
Y = Jump
L = Jump
R = Grab
ZL = Shield
ZR = Shield

My right stick is my smash stick. I know some prefer tilts in it, but I like being able to do quick smash attacks.

I keep tap jump on, I still find it useful for full-hops I need to do without moving. I usually use the button for short hops. It also makes running u-smashes easier to do.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I switched my triggers with ZLZR being Shield and LR being Grab. I also turned tap jump off.

I really like this controller, especially with the jump button being right by the C-Stick. However, I don't see it viable with it beimg a wireless controller, sadly.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Warning Received
I currently don't have the GC adapter, so I've been stuck with using the gamepad? And it's honestly not that bad! I'm looking forward to trying other controllers, but the gamepad is seriously not as terrible or "noobish" as people seem to think." Oh man, it has a screen, and there was hype for it initially, must be a noob thing! "

Did your mother drop you as a child? You seem to have suffered a brain injury.
I sure hope this is a joke. It's a special thing called preference.

Last edited by a moderator:

madworlder

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving the Wii U Pro controller.

tap jump off
Right stick: smash
A: normal
B: special
X: jump
Y: shield
R: grab
ZR: shield
L: jump
ZL: jump

multiple options for comfortable shielding and short hopping. I could probably stand to use ZL as shield too, but I haven't decided if it's easier to use the bumper or the trigger for short hopping yet.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
tap jump off
Right stick: Tilt Attack
A: Attack
B: special
X: jump
Y: Grab
R: grab
ZR: Grab
L: Shield
ZL: Shield

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
Using Gamepad.

Tap jump off
RS = Smash
A = Grab
B = Attack
Y = Special
X = Jump
R, L = Grab
ZR, ZL = Shield

Face button controls are basically rotated slightly to match the button placement of the Gamecube more closely. Triggers and bumpers are swapped because I don't hold claw.

It has been working out for me for the most part. I like having the stick above the buttons but dislike the lack of an octagon guard.

Daisy101

Smash Journeyman
It is worth to get the Wii u Pro controller? i wanted to get a adapter but its out of stock. also can you dash dance with?

Last edited:

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
Wii U Pro controller is probably the second best option behind the GameCube controller. I can dash dance on a Gamepad, there is no reason why you couldn't on a Pro controller. The only thing you have to get used to is a circle stick guard vs octagon stick guard. I think someone could probably make some money making faceplates for the Wii U Pro controller with octagon guards.

phoenixairs

Smash Rookie
I use defaults with tap jump off, and hold it with my left index finger on ZL (grab) and right index finger on R (shield). It's asymmetrical, but it also feels comfortable: the right hand being slightly higher helps reach the ABXY buttons. Using defaults has the added bonus of not being completely screwed when I forget to set the name, which seems to be a huge issue in the Wii U version.

I would consider switching L to jump and seeing if it flows better for aerial attacks (don't need to move right thumb around), but don't think I would ever get into the habit of using it.

I'm actually starting to like the Pro Controller more than the Gamecube one. Maybe it's the smooth finish, or the shape. Of course, offset control/C-stick is still superior so I don't have to do the weird hand shift thing.

Last edited:

option.iv

Smash Cadet
http://smashboards.com/threads/most-efficient-controller-setup-in-depth-look.379200/

Being discussed there. IMO I think the Wii U Pro controller is the better controller. But again, the thing holding it back is wireless and all the negative connotations associated with it. However, no one has done any concrete tests to prove or disprove the arguments surrounding wireless. So for now, it's up to TO's discretion on whether or not to allow wireless or not.

Oh, and phoenix, you're not the only one forgetting to set names. I do it all the time.

I've still yet to try the Hori Fight Pad and the PDP Battle Pad, but from the couple reviews/impressions I've read is that there are some problems with them. i.e. for Hori, when returning to neutral, it bounces too far and registers the opposite direction.

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
I have tap jump off, ZL set to shield, L as jump, and ZR and R both set to grab. Everything else is default. I have my left thumb on the control stick and my index and middle fingers over both triggers, and with my right thumb covering the face buttons and right stick and my right index finger covering both triggers (usually R I think). I find it uncomfortable to hold the controller while covering both right triggers at the same time so I just set them both to the same thing. I don't need four triggers anyway. I use L when I need to short hop and aerial right away, which is almost necessary if I want to autocancel a sh dair with Zelda. I use both buttons to jump: X in general, Y when I want to up B OoS or jump cancel up B (which Yoshi uses a lot).

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Haven't got any controller yet, using the gamepad and im losing a ton of matches
My controls are pretty much default except L is shield and R is grab

GaboRJ

Smash Rookie
I hadn't gotten a controller either, and was losing matches using the gamepad as well. So I decided to get a Wii U Pro controller. It works as advertised but the thing is that I turned tap to jump off in the controller settings menu, and it remains off when I play local smash, but when I play online, tap to jump is enabled again. Is this how the game/controller actually work or is there something I must do in order to turn off tap to jump online?

Serpentvap

Smash Rookie
A question i asked on the smash bros Wii U general discussion as well : are short hops easy to do on a Wii U Pro Controller setting Jump on L.

It could facilitate aerials attacks but i would like to know if the button is okay for that before to buy the controller.

Any opinion?

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
For the Wii U Pro controller I have everything default and tap jump off. Though in the end I think I still like the GC controller a bit more, Wii U pro's buttons always feel loose and it throws me off sometimes. They aren't of course but just the feeling of pushing those buttons down feels off imo.

Vyledust

Smash Cadet
NNID
vyledust
3DS FC
4828-5240-3817
Switch FC
SW-0024-1518-2334
I hadn't gotten a controller either, and was losing matches using the gamepad as well. So I decided to get a Wii U Pro controller. It works as advertised but the thing is that I turned tap to jump off in the controller settings menu, and it remains off when I play local smash, but when I play online, tap to jump is enabled again. Is this how the game/controller actually work or is there something I must do in order to turn off tap to jump online?
You have to use a profile with it set to off.

option.iv

Smash Cadet
A question i asked on the smash bros Wii U general discussion as well : are short hops easy to do on a Wii U Pro Controller setting Jump on L.

It could facilitate aerials attacks but i would like to know if the button is okay for that before to buy the controller.

Any opinion?
Reason why people set L to jump is because of thumb movement.

Take for example doing an f-air (facing right).
On the default GC controller your thumb would hit x, THEN slide OVER the c-stick and flick it to the right.

Compared to binding L to jump, your thumb just has to worry about flicking the stick. You offload jumping to your left index finger. It's that much faster.

There's no l-cancelling in this game so binding L to shield is not required for timing purposes.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
If you find the option tab, I forgot where it is, you can make name tags, the name tags will store your control settings. When you play online, you must select the "Player 1 " text and choose your tag.

shapular

Smash Ace

Any opinion?
It's a little bit harder to do consistently than using X or Y, but not hard. You can do it consistently with a little bit of practice. It's definitely worth using since there are at least a few aerials that don't autocancel unless you do them as early as possible (like Zelda's dair or Charizard's fair) and that seems to be the easiest way to do so. The hard part is actually thinking about using it in battle.

danzibr

Smash Cadet
This is an interesting thread. I was wondering this exact thing (and made a post in the non-competitive forum... with few responses).

I'm wondering if it's best to set the right stick to smash, attack, or special. I'm used to smash from Melee, but I'm starting to think that attack is best. While I have no problem moving my thumb, it would be neat to somehow keep everything on single buttons/sticks. I was experimenting with this, and... it seems possible, but not optimal. In particular, for your four fingers you can't have shield, attack, special, jump and grab. While grab is just shield + attack, it's nice to have a devoted grab button.

If you put attack on the right stick and no attack on the shoulder, then you can't smash (unless moving both sticks can get you to smash--haven't tried it). Also, from Melee I'm so accustomed to the right stick giving out fast smashes, it might be hard to change it to tilts.

tl;dr
I'm highly curious about optimal setup(s), but my limited testing hasn't let me to any conclusions.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
I use GCC, tap jump off, C-stick to tilts, and L to grab. It combines my familiarity with the 3DS with the comfort of the GCC. For times when I can't use the GCC, the Pro/Pad is almost identical, except L/ZL are both grab, and R/ZR are both shield.

Raijinken

Smash Master
The Pro Controller is an acceptable alternative to the Gamecube controller in many cases. Unfortunately, though, it's designed to be wireless (and to be honest, I've never checked whether the input goes through the charger if it's connected via microUSB), and comes with all related downsides (battery life, wireless lag, potential for interference). Still, probably my third favorite controller to Smash with (the N64 controller gets 2nd place for me, but that's not really relevant to the new game).

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
The Pro Controller is an acceptable alternative to the Gamecube controller in many cases. Unfortunately, though, it's designed to be wireless (and to be honest, I've never checked whether the input goes through the charger if it's connected via microUSB), and comes with all related downsides (battery life, wireless lag, potential for interference). Still, probably my third favorite controller to Smash with (the N64 controller gets 2nd place for me, but that's not really relevant to the new game).
Battery life isn't much of a prpblem, seeing as it has over 80 hours of life.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Battery life isn't much of a prpblem, seeing as it has over 80 hours of life.
True enough, but it's a detail anyway. If a player forgets (happens more than it should, I'd assume), they could wind up with an issue during a match. There's also the "accidentally hit a button during someone else's setup and ruined something" thing that Apex circumvents by requiring players to remove batteries from wiimotes. That's not really feasible with a Pro Controller.

Kraetyz

Smash Cadet
When I bought Smash Bros for Wii U, I got a pro controller. I played with Wiimote + Nunchuk in Brawl (don't judge me ;-; ) and never played much Melee, so I was free to experiment with buttons without a lot of mental blocks. I ended up with:

LT: Block, RT: Jump
X: Special
Y: Grab A: Normals
RightStick: Normals (for tilts, I am terrible at doing them otherwise)
B, LB and RB: Unused

Tap jump is off. It works well for me, don't know if it's "competitive" or not.

Last edited:

danzibr

Smash Cadet
Well, I did something disappointing.

I'm going to go with the default controls. The reason is I consistently forget to switch it to my name, and trying to reprogram your muscle memory is very difficult when over half the time you don't have the right controls.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Reorogram you brain to remember then, only way to do that is to do it loads of times. At first you will forget, it will become second nature at somepoint.

Well, I did something disappointing.

I'm going to go with the default controls. The reason is I consistently forget to switch it to my name, and trying to reprogram your muscle memory is very difficult when over half the time you don't have the right controls.

Last edited:

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
LZ, RZ = Shield
L, R = Grab
C-Stick = Smash
X = Special
Y, A = Jump
B = Attack

Just picked up the wii u pro yesterday, transitioning from the GC controller was frustrating.. I have it at this setup because I previously used X to shorthop by gliding over it but now there's a stick in the way. I also used Y to full jump and rolled my thumb to do an attack from full jump.

The biggest issue is the mapping of the controller naturally rests your thumb on A, whereas in this setup I need it to rest on B. That, and Special is the top button X.... hopefully I can get used to this soon

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I know this may sound like spam... but there's a few items on Amazon I'm curious about.

In particular, this one: http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG

And the HORI controllers also look interesting. http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-Mario-Version-Turbo-u/dp/B00ND0E5ZU/

I've seen the HORI controller at my local Gamestop, so they seem to be in good distribution. I haven't seen the other one outside of Amazon. They're all wireless still however, so they aren't going to be viable at a tournament. I'm generally against experimenting with 3rd party controllers... but HORI is a generally well respected brand.

As far as official stuff... the official WiiU Adapter got sold out on Amazon in 8 minutes on 12/28. Because Nintendo doesn't understand supply / demand :-(

Gamestop does however, but they're only selling the adapter if you buy 4 controllers with it for $110. Maybe useful to tournament organizers making a tournament kit...

Last edited:

danzibr

Smash Cadet
Reorogram you brain to remember then, only way to do that is to do it loads of times. At first you will forget, it will become second nature at somepoint.
Yeah... I think I might stick with it. Takes what, 40 days to form a habit?

I was thinking more on the optimal setup. Right now I set the battle triggers both to shield, front right to grab, front left to shield, everything else unchanged. Essentially emulated a GCC but with the c-stick in the wrong place and an extra button for the left finger.

HOWEVER, I don't think this is optimal. Two of the buttons I press the most (in fact, maybe *the* two buttons) are the left stick and the jump button. Having that be my left thumb and index finger, respectively, is awkward. A simple switch of my current jump and grab buttons might fix the problem.

Yikarur

Smash Master
WiiU Pro Controller is probably the very best controller for Smash 4. (Gamecube Controller was never the best in my opinion)

Being wireless is no problem. Wireless is the new standard nowadays and the technique is advanced enough to have wireless controllers that don't cause problems at all.

I've played about 200 hours with my WiiU Pro Controller already and have not experienced any malfunctions at all.
The WiiU Connection got better and the WiiU Pro Controller has better technology too.
it's a perfect controller so use it !

I play with
ZR = Jump
A = Attack
B = Special
X = Grab
ZL = Shield
C-Stick = Attack
rest = no real use yet

Having a should button set to jump is the objectively best thing you can do.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
I currently don't have the GC adapter, so I've been stuck with using the gamepad? And it's honestly not that bad! I'm looking forward to trying other controllers, but the gamepad is seriously not as terrible or "noobish" as people seem to think." Oh man, it has a screen, and there was hype for it initially, must be a noob thing! "

I sure hope this is a joke. It's a special thing called preference.
yeah theres no reason for comments like this. Besides his way of playing isnt bad at all, I have heard other people mention the same thing, that L is their jump button, some people find it quicker and easier since their index finger is already there.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
I just bought the biogenik wii u pro controller and omg does it feel nice. I like it more than the first party wii u pro controller by far, and possibly even more than a gc. I`ve made a pretty happy switch over to it, atleast until adapters are ez to find for $20. I play with

tap jump off
A= grab
B= attack
Y= Special
X= jump
zl= shield
zr= sheild
right stick= attack (tilts)

i dont need 2 shield buttons, and i dont use L or R really, they are set to grab for now, but they are pretty much just extra unused buttons atm. Was thinking of finding some use for them later.

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
So this may sound crazy at first, but I use all four triggers for different controls, and I don't use B and Y for anything.

WTF, right? But in the end, it's all about independent control, and it works really well, once you get the hang of it. My exact control scheme is as follows:

tap jump off
A -> Attack
X -> Special Move
Right Stick -> Smash (probably will use Tilts for Little Mac and Smash for Megaman)
## Note that these 3 almost never need to be pressed at the same time, so I assign them to the same digit

L -> Jump
ZL -> Shield
R -> Grab
## Setting these three to independent digits from Attack allows independence of jumping/airdodging/z-dropping,
## and makes techniques like roll-cancelled grabs and Z-Drop Catch aerials easier.

ZR -> Attack
## For the times where you need to hold Attack and use the Right Stick at the same time
## I only know of F-Smash while holding an item.

So that's my setup. Left Stick and Control Pad are obviously move and taunt, respectively.

Last edited:

MartianMedia

Smash Cadet
NNID
MartianMedia
3DS FC
5172-0483-1084
I would say that if you aren't able/willing to shell out however much the gamecube controller adapter is worth these days, the pro controller is the best option. The only real difference between it and the gamecube controller is that the right stick and the buttons are swapped. I didn't have a problem adjusting at all.

Top Bottom