• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wifi snake

Keith_Da_Thief

Smash Journeyman
hey i was just wondering how many of you guys use wifi religiously? and does it improve ur offline game? and how long does it take for you to play online, until ur offline game is better?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
idk, I think it depends on your character, Snake I'm fine with on wifi and I can play almost like its offline, but with Falco I'm like 10x worse on wifi. Although I think Jon? plays wifi Falco so maybe its just me.

Btw Keith I think I met you like once at the NC State Library.

Superspright

Smash Lord
My snake is much better offline. I can't time certain ATs online because of the button lag. I am a visual player so I need the visual cues to react. I can't react online. It is all prediction. :S

napZzz

Smash Hero
wifi is decent practice, laggy bad games> no games. but what you dont want to do is play it enough to the point where you start to develop bad wifi habits.

Underload

Lazy
Wifi makes your offline games worse.
Samboner says hi.

The truth is, wifi DOES help your offline game a bit, but not as much as offline matches would. Still, it does have some merit.

I wouldn't recommend wifi, but if you need some practice, then go for it.

But I think NC has a bit of a Smash scene, so you should probably try getting into that instead. I know HERB 3 is coming up, you should try going to that :p http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=254512

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I find it to hurt me to some extent and also help me to some extent match up wise.

Although I despise it and recommend playing offline with people for better training. There are some certain cases where people who play wifi excel in offline (ally, adhd, anti, sam).

But for the most part offline is better.

I'll be the wifi person that can explain my problems and successes with wifi. (I use wifi almost strictly because living in a small town means hardly anyone to play against, and transportation is non existant).

No matter what anyone says, wifi DOES improve your skills. But if only improves your skills if you apply wifi in the correct ways. I'm sick and tired of people saying it doesn't help them. It's only because they aren't using it right.

Wifi helps because it gives you that element of human playing. Simply by doing this it will increase your skills. You gain match-up experience and experience overall by using it often. The only thing it does mess with is your timing and tech skill overall. You will find you cannot DI, tech, or time attacks as perfectly as you could offline. But really that is the only downside so long as you use wifi correctly. I find messing around with a CPU for like 5 minutes restores my timing after playing wifi for a couple of hours.

In order to use wifi correctly you need to follow these basic rules.
1) Play only with, or most of your time with people who you do not lag with. If there is lag make sure it's the most minimal you can get. Yellow connection is the lowest I advise playing someone and still hope to get something out of this. Orange and red are so bad it will effect your playing style after awhile.

2) Try to avoid tactics that would typically never work offline because people would counter it and punish you for it. These are tactics like spamming projectiles and certain moves in very specific ways. If a person just stands there spamming wolf's blaster all day they would typically get punished for it offline. This is because a normal person can PS with ease, but with wifi it is harder because timing is messed up by a little bit.

3) Overall, you simply need to play wifi like you would an offline match. Do not worry about winning or losing. You can always john later that is was wifi that messed you and not your skills :)

If you deviate from those basic guidelines wifi will screw you over in the long run. But while wifi does help you if you use it correctly, offline is still so much better. However, I could argue that is true to a point, if you are playing people who are way worse than you that cannot even beat a lv 3 cpu, then offline won't do you any good at all. Playing someone of equal skill or better than you offline is the best source of training.

Keith_Da_Thief

Smash Journeyman
Samboner says hi.

The truth is, wifi DOES help your offline game a bit, but not as much as offline matches would. Still, it does have some merit.

I wouldn't recommend wifi, but if you need some practice, then go for it.

But I think NC has a bit of a Smash scene, so you should probably try getting into that instead. I know HERB 3 is coming up, you should try going to that :p http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=254512
yea i know herb is comin soon, cant wait, i actually used to be pr'ed in nc, but i havent been showing up to tourneys recently. i wanna get back in the swing of things but i have no one to practice with, so hopefully wifi will be the practice i need.

Keith_Da_Thief

Smash Journeyman
I'll be the wifi person that can explain my problems and successes with wifi. (I use wifi almost strictly because living in a small town means hardly anyone to play against, and transportation is non existant).

No matter what anyone says, wifi DOES improve your skills. But if only improves your skills if you apply wifi in the correct ways. I'm sick and tired of people saying it doesn't help them. It's only because they aren't using it right.

Wifi helps because it gives you that element of human playing. Simply by doing this it will increase your skills. You gain match-up experience and experience overall by using it often. The only thing it does mess with is your timing and tech skill overall. You will find you cannot DI, tech, or time attacks as perfectly as you could offline. But really that is the only downside so long as you use wifi correctly. I find messing around with a CPU for like 5 minutes restores my timing after playing wifi for a couple of hours.

In order to use wifi correctly you need to follow these basic rules.
1) Play only with, or most of your time with people who you do not lag with. If there is lag make sure it's the most minimal you can get. Yellow connection is the lowest I advise playing someone and still hope to get something out of this. Orange and red are so bad it will effect your playing style after awhile.

2) Try to avoid tactics that would typically never work offline because people would counter it and punish you for it. These are tactics like spamming projectiles and certain moves in very specific ways. If a person just stands there spamming wolf's blaster all day they would typically get punished for it offline. This is because a normal person can PS with ease, but with wifi it is harder because timing is messed up by a little bit.

3) Overall, you simply need to play wifi like you would an offline match. Do not worry about winning or losing. You can always john later that is was wifi that messed you and not your skills :)

If you deviate from those basic guidelines wifi will screw you over in the long run. But while wifi does help you if you use it correctly, offline is still so much better. However, I could argue that is true to a point, if you are playing people who are way worse than you that cannot even beat a lv 3 cpu, then offline won't do you any good at all. Playing someone of equal skill or better than you offline is the best source of training.

thnx, this helps alot

Bandiit

Smash Rookie
Personally when i do learn a new AT. I take it to training mode then i perfect it then on to wifi and see if i can get it there if i can get it there then thats when i know its good to go.

Wi-fi ain't that bad but you might battle against some hacker -_- and it has LAG but it's still considering using your skills but playing in local tourneys are better in my opinion but some tourneys in my opinion are untrustworthy.

mightychir

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0387-9912-4573
I lol'd when you said "religiously" XD Well its what I depending on so far. I still play it a lot since I still think I ought to train more so then I can go to the offline scene(which also depends on transportation)

For me Snake in lag is just ugh since I try to Dash Attack and I end up F tilting or Neutral A which messes me up D: Thats only when the lag is unbearable lmao.

Top Bottom