• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi Lag and overall disappointment

Zian

Smash Cadet
Anyone have the horrible lag i get when i press a button and the action happens a half second later in wifi mode? Also there not being a stock wifi match is just garbage.

I wish they just made melee online and ported it to the wii, the physics feel slow and run down. This is so upsetting it hurts.

Anyone feel this way also?

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
yes my first impressions are that it is a less competitive, more casual gamer feel and that the overall physics arent nearly as intricate. Im dissapointed so far, but its just the first hour so who knows!

Shiv

Smash Cadet
Yea I agree. Slower action and the wifi is pretty upsetting. Melee online sounds like it would have been a great idea.

csir

Smash Apprentice
The first time i played Melee the game felt slow and awkward compared to the 64 version.. eventually you get use to the new physics of the game

BTW You can't have a online stock battle?

Cpt Knee Cap

Smash Rookie
Melee's to fast for wifi. Wouldent work. But a better question how does wifi actually work?
Im sure theirs a million places where i can find this answer but idc.
Do you have to pay a monthly bill like xbl?
Do you you have to buy an adapter to hook it up to wifi?
Or will i be able to just hook it up through my current internet and have to problems?

Zian

Smash Cadet
I love smash bros, but this feels like it took a step back to the 64 version. It makes me sad the the previous game feels more well put together. Wifi lag like this is just not worth my time. AND yes an online game should be able to support a game as fast as melee. Halo has tons more info per second and doesn't suffer.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
That lag you feel after you press a button is the buff system.

It' not lag.
The game will store the last moves you input then do them after you're last action.

I.e

I press forward smash then down B while the Fsmash is going.
I'll do the down B right after the Fsmash.

It's how they decided to deal with real lag.

Kinda weird but, you'll get use to it.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I've had brawl for 4 days now. I was very disappointed for the first couple of hours I played but soon after I began to like it :)

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
Anyone have the horrible lag i get when i press a button and the action happens a half second later in wifi mode? Also there not being a stock wifi match is just garbage.

I wish they just made melee online and ported it to the wii, the physics feel slow and run down. This is so upsetting it hurts.

Anyone feel this way also?

haha quit complaining its fine, also, Richmond VA, what GS were u at? i too live in Richmond

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
You'll get used to the input lag. I'm from Europe and when I play with Americans we have about 1-2 seconds input lag, now THAT's bad. But you'll get used to it, seriously. Don't cry about it.
And for clarification, you CAN have stock matches. When you play friend battles (using the FC) you can set everything you can also set in a normal Brawl. So Team/No team, items, time/stock/coin, friendly fire, etc.

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
I just wish the random battles online had a little more freedom.
Well, that's what they are, random battles. They are aimed at the casuals who just seek a quick, fun Brawl with some random human players.
The real deal are FC-battles.

R0cket

Smash Apprentice
How the hell are we supposed to get used to input lag? It makes competitve online play impossible.
As of now it's still unsure if it's going to be improved. Maybe they'll somehow find a way to dimish the input lag as much as possible.
And yeah, it kinda ruins the whole tournament idea. But it's seriously not THAT bad, you CAN play competitive on a certain level. You just have to get used to press buttons 1-2 seconds earlier, lol.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
I love smash bros, but this feels like it took a step back to the 64 version. It makes me sad the the previous game feels more well put together. Wifi lag like this is just not worth my time. AND yes an online game should be able to support a game as fast as melee. Halo has tons more info per second and doesn't suffer.
Funny how Smash 54 didnt have Wifi....

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
i disagree 100%. besides the part about random stock matches, 2 minutes is horrible.
i play matches that can last the full 8 minutes.

i havent had ANY lag except one match where if i transformed from zelda to shiek(vice versa) the game would lag a little, thats all, everything else is fluid movement.

and brawl is a new game, i think its better than melee because of all the different characters/varying traits of characters...this game is very competitive, just because we cant outsmart eachother with tech skill doesnt mean we cant with normal skill

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Lag is in every online game, you'll get used to it. I remember when I played Mario Kart DS online fort the first time. The lag really made me go "OMG SRSLY WTF!!!" but after a while I got used to it.

Soon, I played against the computer and I was all like "Where's the lag?"

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
Lol sucks for you, actually no one else has the problem because they are not wasting their time complaining on new stuff.

Torchik

Smash Ace
I dunno, but couldn't the lag be from all the people who just got Brawl connecting at the same time? When I got Mario Strikers and tried to go on wi-fi the first day, it wouldn't even let me connect, it was so overloaded! Perhaps if you guys give it a few days to settle down, there won't be lag. My friend who has the Japanese version said that there is 0 lag on his, so I'm thinking the lag on the English version is just from too many people for Nintendo's servers, at the moment. ^_^

Oh, also, maybe your internet just sucks. I know another one of my friend's internet is really slow and his Wii takes forever to do anything. My Wii is actually VERY fast, possibly even faster than my computer. I've never had lag on a game. Ever. So this could also be your problem!

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
the lags been annoying me also...a lot of people on this thread keep saying that "youll get used to it"..."or "stop complaining"...but seriously, when you have something as awesome as the new Smash Bros. game in your possession, along with the notion of online play for it (finally)...dont you think the whole "youll get used to the lag" mantra is kind of like conceding to idea that getting slapped in the face everytime you taste your favorite ice cream is okay because EVENTUALLY youll just get used to it? why would anyone want to get used to that? personally, i dont want to get slapped in the face, i just want to enjoy my frickin ice cream

2kuul

Smash Rookie
Melee's to fast for wifi. Wouldent work. But a better question how does wifi actually work?
Im sure theirs a million places where i can find this answer but idc.
Do you have to pay a monthly bill like xbl?
Do you you have to buy an adapter to hook it up to wifi?
Or will i be able to just hook it up through my current internet and have to problems?

1. no you don´t need to pay for anything, it´s 100% free!
2. no, when you have a w-lan router then you all set, but when not then you must buy a Nintendo WiFi USB connector or the Wii Lan Adapter.

i´m open for some more questions..:)

the online lag in brawl...it should stop in couple days because so many people are trying to gett online and the server(s) have to work hard... it will stop within this week, trust me :)

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
This lag is not normal. It's about a thousand times worse than it was a couple weeks ago.

I'm guessing things will stabilize after a while. It's probably just under extremely heavy load.

Niblet

Smash Cadet
I too feel a sort of disappointment playing. With Melee, it was fun every minute. With Brawl, I'm just not feeling it as much.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart DS never lagged! And i live in Bahrain! ,maybe using a LAN Adapter could speed things up,instead of using Wi-Fi,it would suck if Brawl was that laggish

flyingmule

Smash Cadet
You can do stock on Wifi, dude.

Are you using a network cable, or wireless? How class is your Wii to the router? How many walls are in the way? Is anyone else using that internet connection?

Top Bottom