• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why there will be no Super Smash Bros. 4....

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
And by that you mean what? Brawl has so many things in it that it CAN'T be improved.
Who said that the next Smash game is going to be just an improvement? A drastic change in the formula (not too impossible to think of), could change the game as we know it (in a good or bad way).

knightofsouls

Smash Cadet
Many Nintendo games have multiple sequels, such as Mario Party 8, Mario party doesn't really offer anything new, they simply add mini games, and tweak it just a little bit..Its very possible they will do the same, they may have added a lot of new content, but in the 4th they could add more characters, more music, and a completely new SSE, many people wanted a Melee 2.0, therefore many people would be psyched at a Brawl 2.0 with more characters and a different story mode than that which they have already played.

There are characters and songs that I wanted in Brawl that didn't make it, its very possible that they will make a sequel, it brings them a lot of money.

If Nintendo were to follow our original suggestion they would come up with a Brawl 2.0 which everyone would still enjoy and purchase.

D

Deleted member

Hey, we could could jusr get a bog standard movie sequal to Subspace, and more on the characters and stages.

Brawl only really disappointed me by removing those songs and characters.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Who said that the next Smash game is going to be just an improvement? A drastic change in the formula (not too impossible to think of), could change the game as we know it (in a good or bad way).
Was Smash 64's formula changed in Melee? No, it was slightly tweaked with some new content. Is Brawl a completely different formula? No, it's a sequel breaking records and going bounds beyond the last one. But the gameplay is still the same, albeit tweaked a little harder than Melee to make it better. They aren't going to change the formula, they improve it. It's almost impossible to improve off of Brawl if you think about it.

No characters were removed, they just weren't put in. ;)

cyber_turnip

Smash Rookie
The beauty of a story mode is that they can give us a new storyline and then a whole new story mode is justified.

Ontop of that, there are plenty of potential little features to be added. Things such as the online mode and stage builder have plenty of room for fleshing out.
Simple things like graphics upgrades will help.

Then, characters. They're really all most people want to see. Yes, balancing will always be an issue but if you believe we have an already balanced roster then it's not hard to add somewhere between 10 and 20 newcomers over the course of a few years and keep them in balance with the others too. Anyway, it's quite clear that the Brawl roster isn't 100% balanced, in a game like Smash Brothers (as it's intended to be played, not the tourney way of things), balance isn't as crucial as in a more traditional fighting game.

Yes, if 4 happens, it will most likely just build upon a base set by Brawl, but honestly, that's all Brawl did with a combination of Melee and 64. It just fleshed out adventure mode, added online mode (which was an obvious thing to do) as well as a level editor and some mini games and then lots of things like new characters.
Brawl may end up being the biggest step the games have taken but if you ask me, Melee was a HUGE leap from the base 64 had set.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I was just saying, they could, because it's not impossible, and they'd still call it Smash because it's Nintendo characters kicking butt. You never know what they could possibly think of with Smash Bros.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Ahhh, I see what you did there.

As for the issue of Smash 4 being a rehash, well I don't really care, I'm fine with a smash that just adds new characters. I would've been fine if brawl had turned out to be melee 2.0. Since I am a smash fan, I will still enjoy it as long as the core gameplay remains the same.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I was just saying, they could, because it's not impossible, and they'd still call it Smash because it's Nintendo characters kicking butt. You never know what they could possibly think of with Smash Bros.
So you really think they'll completely reformat their design and use the same name? Oh, c'mon, is that the Smash you really want? In that case, we wouldn't be playing it competitively. In fact, that wouldn't even be improving it, it would be changing it.

The beauty of a story mode is that they can give us a new storyline and then a whole new story mode is justified.

Ontop of that, there are plenty of potential little features to be added. Things such as the online mode and stage builder have plenty of room for fleshing out.
Simple things like graphics upgrades will help.

Then, characters. They're really all most people want to see. Yes, balancing will always be an issue but if you believe we have an already balanced roster then it's not hard to add somewhere between 10 and 20 newcomers over the course of a few years and keep them in balance with the others too. Anyway, it's quite clear that the Brawl roster isn't 100% balanced, in a game like Smash Brothers (as it's intended to be played, not the tourney way of things), balance isn't as crucial as in a more traditional fighting game.

Yes, if 4 happens, it will most likely just build upon a base set by Brawl, but honestly, that's all Brawl did with a combination of Melee and 64. It just fleshed out adventure mode, added online mode (which was an obvious thing to do) as well as a level editor and some mini games and then lots of things like new characters.
Brawl may end up being the biggest step the games have taken but if you ask me, Melee was a HUGE leap from the base 64 had set.
Where's that pic of the super facepalm? Ugh, you've barely even scratched the surface of what Brawl has. Look, why can't people just enjoy Brawl right now, as it is before talking about Smash 4? You people disgust me. It's almost not worth arguing since all you guys do is pull things out your... closet...

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
So you really think they'll completely reformat their design and use the same name? Oh, c'mon, is that the Smash you really want? In that case, we wouldn't be playing it competitively. In fact, that wouldn't even be improving it, it would be changing it.

Where's that pic of the super facepalm? Ugh, you've barely even scratched the surface of what Brawl has. Look, why can't people just enjoy Brawl right now, as it is before talking about Smash 4? You people disgust me. It's almost not worth arguing since all you guys do is pull things out your... closet...
I'm thinking, maybe a 3D fighter or something. Someone mentioned it in an interview. They could take a long time to think about it and develop it, as we'll be busy with Brawl for a while.

Who said that's the Smash I really want? I'm just saying it's possible they could go that route, since you're saying it's impossible that they'd try to improve on what we've got now.

There's no arguement here, it's just speculating about the far future. Besides, this LAvisFiend guy brought it up.

Crushed

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo will make a Smash Bros. 4. It will be a totally new game.

It's like people saying that Nintendo will never make another Zelda or Mario because Mario 64 or OoT were "perfect" and "couldn't be improved."

higgins

Smash Apprentice
you have some very good points but there could be upgrades to brawl that will almost change the game. But brawl might be the new SSB4 with upgrades or for the new system from nintendo that you stated and most people who have melee are still not bored so they have time to think of new ideas for SSB4 if gamers like it more then it will porobably one of the longest life span a game ever will have.

Zek

Smash Ace
You say there's no room for growth in Smash? Have you forgotten how much crying there was about missing characters? They could easily go up to 45 with highly popular additions alone. And there are endless possibilities of stages and items, especially if you expand into non-character franchises. Not every game in the series needs to be a complete re-imagining of the franchise. In the eyes of casual Melee players, Brawl is more of the same, many of the reviews have said as much. For a cash cow franchise like this, I don't think Nintendo will have any problem releasing more of the same with new content.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yeah, say that to the constant sequels with the Kirby games he makes.
That was one of the reasons he quit HAL, he has nothing to do with the Kirby series outside of the character inclusions in Brawl.

@Comparing Mario Party

The biggest issue with compare it to Mario Party is the game is very simple to program I imagine. All the character more or less do the same thing. Then Board Game Enigine is so easy to recycle there is little balance or unqinunesss involved with the creation of the games.

Even if SSB 4 will exist we're talking years on top of years before it will happen again, which is why I find this discussion so ridculious. The only reason people are being this subject up is because alot of people around here don't seem to be satified with one subject or another in Brawl.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
We'll probably want better things in the future that Brawl doesn't have, so I'm guessing there will be a Smash 4 some way or another

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
And by that you mean what? Brawl has so many things in it that it CAN'T be improved.
Give the forums about five minutes and they could name a hundred things that could be "improved". The lopsided roster and three landmasters would top the list, I bet you. :/

Nothing can ever be perfect. Believing that something has achieved perfection is just fooling yourself. There is always something that can be improved. Always.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
QFT.
This was a good read, not a TL;DR. it was worth the read and it's not that long. He makes a point about that brawl is the end. all they could add is a subspace sequel and more characters.

Strongobado

Smash Cadet
I appreciated this intelligent post! And I agreed with you on all of your points...until I started reading some of the contradictory posts that were also just as good.

I didn't think that we would be able to top the content in Brawl, but on second thought, it could possibly happen.

I don't think the franchise of Smash will be dead after this, since the success of the DS is the only console beating Wii in sales.

If Nintendo's goal is to simply make more and more money, then they will continue the Smash franchise. I personally think that it'd be a great idea on the DS. And I'm betting that it would sell just as well.

Anyway, there is my take on the issue.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
if they add new characters for a new system, wouldnt that be the new smash? they would prolly add some different moves, stages, items, etc. Not jsut a few characters with updated graphics.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Like many people say, if Nintendo get's a new system, then a new idea for Smash Bros. However, if Brawl get's very successful like it's already is, then there will be no real reason to not contenue the sequal.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
Although I agree with most of your points, I would be very surprised if there wasn't a Smash 4 a few years down the line. However, I have a hard time believing that it will add anything like as much as Brawl did. Although, I remember being unable to imagine how much more could be added to Melee. I could have just been naive, but it still goes to show. There could be a lot of things you haven't thought of that could still be added. The upgrade from 64 to Melee was pretty drastic, as was the shift from Melee to Brawl, although mainly in different areas (Melee added a lot more characters, Brawl added a lot more modes and extra content). There are still areas in Brawl that could be improved, and I expect they will be, even if there isn't a huge difference in the end.

The biggest and most obvious reason for there being another sequel is just how much money the series makes for Nintendo. They would be insane to not make another. I can't imagine how the next game in a series like this - which builds on the already featured content from previous games - could be worse than the preceding game, but the changes will begin getting more subtle at some point.

The-Judge

Banned via Administration
In 10 years, i believe a Smash Bros 4 to come. Believe, but I have doubt. Brawl is such a perfect ending.

But Smash Bros DS is coming up :)

Hejiru

Smash Ace
*I have a lot to say. If you are going to come in here and flash your ignorance by not reading the post and flooding my thread with TL;DR, then I would think twice. You have no idea how quick you imprint yourself as a ****** in many peoples minds when you post something so idiotic and childish. With that said, don't waste my time and your own, and just stay out of the thread if you have no intentions of reading.*

I believe the thought of a Smash Bros 4 is unlikely, but for a different reason.

You see, unlike Melee, Brawl is a gigantic game, filled to the brim with content. Content, that is not just filler, but extentions of the overall game. Every inch of that game is playable. You can even play with your trophies now.

The overall content has increased in what Melee had, and added things that melee did NOT have. You can see that with the final package, that so much work and so much stuff was added, that it was almost as if they wanted you to stay busy for a really long time. Brawl guarantees a brand new experience every time you boot up your system, but how are they able to do this?

New levels and brand new opponents. All without the hassle of spending a penny. You don't have to pay for a plane ticket to face other talented players anymore, you can face them from the comfort of your own home. Lag is a variable, but every good thing comes with a bad. It is a balance in deeds as I like to call it. Look at the bright side; a little slowdown in comparison to a 75$ plane ticket? Your choice.

Sakurai has prepared for us a fine assortment of quirky levels as well as visual splendors, a selection that has shown the labors of Sora LTD. quite nicely. The list however might say 40+ levels.... but Brawl is easily capable of THOUSANDS! How IS this? User created levels. This feature ALONE guarentees a new thing EV-ER-Y day for smash fans to sink their teeth into.

Smash also set a record with Brawl. 300+ songs. No game in the history of forever has ever acheived such a milestone. The most a game has ever had is around 50-70 tracks. Didn't even BREAK triple digits...

Brawl did. Thrice.

Let's not forget the fact that we actually have TWO games going on. The side-scroller adventure that is SSE, and of course, the BRAWL modes. A fighting game AND an adventure game, bundled into one disc.

We also could never forget the fact that we have 35 combatants; a great many of which who are new faces. The metagame has reverted to zero, and in it's place, lies a completely untouched metagame. It took people a couple of years to tear into Melee and turn it into a pro friendly, competetive-worthy title, but it HAPPENED, and with Brawl being a completely new game, it gives people something to work for.

What we have here, right now, and currently, is a VERY good and well-crafted game. Easily one of the best. Hell, for it's acheivements, it can be considered THE best as far as 2D fighters go.

....Yet people desire a Smash Bros. 4. My question is simply this....

Why? Also, How?

You can't get much better than what Brawl has set out, no matter how many characters you add, how many levels you add, etc. Something has to break; and something will grow old and stale. Brawl was created as if it were the last one to exist, and I believe that this was important to take note of, not because of how well the end product shaped up, but with what this means for the Smash franchise.

There is really not much Smash 4 could DO that can top what we have already with Brawl. The only thing Smash 4 COULD do is add things to the pool. What I am basically saying is that Smash 4 would essentially be an upgrade to Brawl. It wouldn't be a different game because it would be far too risky to try and remove certain things and add others into Smash 4 to create a new game. With how thorough Sora was in creating Brawl, we have modes out the rear. They couldn't add an online mode. We have that. They couldn't add a story mode, we have that. What the crap could you do with the music that Brawl HASN'T done?

So to reiterate, Smash 4 only serves as an upgrade. It would be entirely too risky to tamper with the good things we have to give us more.

Back to the "something has to break" point. People want more and more characters, but what people don't want is imbalance. You are basically asking for everything, as you can't have BOTH without tipping in the favor of another thing. Sure, we can have TONS of characters, but the balance pool that characters share would begin to trickle out as more and more characters are added into the mix. Brick upon brick of code drowning out previous code, and eventually? We would lose A LOT of balance. Please remember that no one character undergoes the same amount of development time. With each new character added is a few more days of balancing to adjust that new character with the growing number of characters already available.

Basically? If you are last, you will take the longest time. People seem to ignore this point over and over again. Why? Denial perhaps.

Brawl will be the final Smash game, but the most common question I hear is, "WELL, WHAT ABOUT THE NEW SYSTEM FIEND LOL?"

Brawl will be remade for that system, more or less, but this time, they will just add to the game by introducing a few new characters here and there.

but to start from the ground up to build a brand NEW smash? Unreasonable and completely silly to believe.

There is always the possibility that in a few years after Brawl has sold well and people are comfortable playing, that Nintendo will give us some downloadable things here or there, but it is not a certainty.

So in conclusion, you want a Smash 4?

....Well....you are looking at your Smash 4.
Bravo. *applause* I didn't know that about the songs, is that true?

iron blade

Smash Ace
I agree. They probably will make a fourth Smash, but like you said it would only be Brawl with different characters and stages.

The-Judge

Banned via Administration
People, even if Smash Bros 4 came, it would be when you are between 20-30 years old.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
I agree with pretty much evcerything you said, but I still think SSB4 is highly likely. Nintendo has made WAY too much money off the series to just stop it in its prime.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
You are very diligent in your thinking but I believe it is impervative to read the Iwata asks interview to fully grasp this issue. Sakurai made this to be the last smash bros game but he did the same with melee. That's what he said in the interview. And there is no doubt that when Hal labortory began work on the original smash bros, none of them thought such a little league game would ever bi pass the age of 64. So in every incarnation of smash, the game has been creatd to end the series.

But even after Sakurai left Nintendo, nintendo brought him back to make a new smash game because they know what smash is and what it brings. You also have to understand that Sakurai is not nintendo. Just because he plans this to be last in the trilogy doesn't mean nintendo does. This is a moneymaker for nintendo and even if they do plan to end the series with this game...in years to come when nintendo needs to hype their new game console or bring up dwindling retail sales....smash will emerge once again.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
You are very diligent in your thinking but I believe it is impervative to read the Iwata asks interview to fully grasp this issue. Sakurai made this to be the last smash bros game but he did the same with melee. That's what he said in the interview. And there is no doubt that when Hal labortory began work on the original smash bros, none of them thought such a little league game would ever bi pass the age of 64. So in every incarnation of smash, the game has been creatd to end the series.

But even after Sakurai left Nintendo, nintendo brought him back to make a new smash game because they know what smash is and what it brings. You also have to understand that Sakurai is not nintendo. Just because he plans this to be last in the trilogy doesn't mean nintendo does. This is a moneymaker for nintendo and even if they do plan to end the series with this game...in years to come when nintendo needs to hype their new game console or bring up dwindling retail sales....smash will emerge once again.
People... Sakurai is not the only one capable of doing Smash. Miyamoto was going to do Smash 3, so he can do Smash 4.

Frogla

Smash Ace
Let me make this big so all could see you need to open them eyes. Do you think there will ever be a "Mario's Last Stand" or "Pokemon The Final Frontier". Nintendo don't kill there cows that still produce and if a series stopped producing it would'nt get a finale game. Kid Icarus of Myths and Monster was not meant to be a final game. But it was for so many years. It's not Nintendo's style to end a series that could go so much farther

If you really think Nintendo can't expand there a millions of ideas.

• New Story Mode
  • Voice Chat
  • Color Editor

And i thought of these 3 things that would be awesome in the course of a minute.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
If you really think Nintendo can't expand there a millions of ideas.

• New Story Mode Subspace anyone?
  • Voice Chat They can't do that because some kid might end up talking to a pervert or something.
  • Color Editor Meh.... I wouldn't really care about that.

And i thought of these 3 things that would be awesome in the course of a minute.
Comments in bold.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
One of your major points against another Smash was that it would just become stale. How would a new game be more stale than the same game?

Also, just because YOU can't think of anything to add, doesn't mean there isn't things that can be added. Hell, you probably didn't think about stickers, coin launcher, or masterpieces, but they're in the game.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with ALL of that.

Halo 2 was online. They made Halo 3. Online games don't last forever.

It's not quite 300+ ORIGINAL songs. Many of them are exactly as they were, such as the Green Hill Zone.

A brand new Smash, just like this one, could still have so much more. What, I do not know; that is the game designer's job. I don't think many of us thought too much about a gigantic storylined adventure involving all of the characters back in the Melee days.

New games arise, especially when it's an addition to one of the best-selling franchises of all time.

Top Bottom