• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the CPU aren't smart on custom stages?

Dylan Guyenne

Smash Cadet
When you play on Custom stage with a CPU, they fall into traps so easily. Like if they were spikes everywhere, they go right into them. Maybe they are not getting use to custom stage for a reason. What do you think?

dpunkz

Smash Cadet
Programming of the game just wasnt thought out all the way through

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well it's quite simple, they aren't programmed to play on custom stages therefore as you say aren't smart and fall into almost all traps

Chuee

Smash Hero
Yeah i just played against a CPU on a wolfs ******** mission stage. I was right above them but they just kept walking back and forth :/

Peck

Smash Apprentice
I htink its because they were created in a certain way-and the custom stages are not from any game really.

lava mage144

Smash Rookie
lol i have a stage where all the npc's do is walk right off the edge all i have to do is stand there

AAAAHHHHHHHH BUG!

Smash Rookie
i made it 2 were i put platforms above spikes and comp got stuck between them it took a whole 32 min. to get them out with 999 damage so it was easy!

Ørion

Smash Ace
The computers most likely have specific instructions or additions to their AI on the regular stages, and those are not on custom stages (obviously), resulting in them using simpler AI and falling for traps more easily.

Agi

Smash Lord
Yeah... I have a vid (which I don't know how to share with the world :ohwell: ) of an epic phail lvl 9 Wolf on a custom stage. he KO's himself a few times, wastes FS's, and generally... pwns himself. If anyone knows how to get vids online (which I know you do) plz help me out.

Phigo

Smash Cadet
i just wanted to say that they arent only stupid on self made stages... for example, i fought on skyworld and the cpu jumps to the moving platform on the ground without any reason and stay there until he was out of screen, then he despaired tried to recover <.<
or he falls to his doom and instead of jumping to the moving platform and then to the "basic stage" he jumped over the platform and died >.<

L_Lawliet

Smash Rookie
i just wanted to say that they arent only stupid on self made stages... for example, i fought on skyworld and the cpu jumps to the moving platform on the ground without any reason and stay there until he was out of screen, then he despaired tried to recover <.<
or he falls to his doom and instead of jumping to the moving platform and then to the "basic stage" he jumped over the platform and died >.<
I've had a level 9 Pit jump to the moving platform then recover (with upB) in the opposite direction. I just stood there as he willingly flew of screen (in Skyworld, by the way).

Kingdrom

Smash Cadet
I know that in some other games with custom stages/levels, the CPU intelligence takes a huge hit based on the design of the stage. The CPU's don't have adaptive intelligence- they can only do their basic programmed skills and combos, so to say. It seems at times that the CPU adapts their strategy based on the stage, and since every possible custom stage cannot be accounted for, they look dumber than they are on standard stages.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Custom stages often are riddled with variations that no default stages can replicate. It's my theory that these default stages, relatively "simple", (battlefield for example) mainly require a direct movement pattern, because there are generally no barriers which prevent this.

Now, say you throw in a few traps, walls, precarious platforms, etc. This obviously leads to CPUs going for predictable routes to circumvent said barriers and ultimately falling into the errors that are the topic of this thread. For instance, each character, at each CPU level, is programmed, presumedly, with one primary method of recovery (i.e., DI toward stage, 2nd jump, up-b, and so on). Of course, there are frequently different variations because the CPU will not always be at the same coordinates. If a string of programming is activated when closer to a platform, say on SmashVille, their closer route coding will be activated and they may only have to 2nd jump and so on.

In other words, AI can only make the most logical choices WITHIN the amount of programming that has been given them. If a CPU is seeking to climb a ladder to reach a higher point on the map where the brawl is taking place, and he is standing on a separate platform from that where the ladder begins, he will jump from platform A to platform B regardless of whether or not a block is positioned above its head, effectively blocking the jump and preventing the CPU from ever reaching platform B.

Basically, if a direct route of getting from one point to another SEEMS to exist, the CPU will choose that option even if an indirect path is more logical in human eyes.

vinni57

Smash Cadet
The cpu's were programmed carefully for each stage. For each custom stage, Cpu's have the same exact programming. ex. land master on top layer and you on bottom on 2 floored stages.

Once, Cpu pit on skyworld self destructed on what seemed to be purpose for no apparent reason.

ShadowBlitz

Smash Apprentice
It's the way they're programmed...they're programmed pretty well on the normal stages because they know what to expect on that stage. They know that Rumble Falls for example, moves, so they can fight well on that stage. However, custom stages are stages you created so they're not exactly sure what goes where, which makes them look stupid on custom stages.

In a nutshell, it's not too thoroughly programmed...

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
I remember facing Wario in a custom stage and he kept getting stucked between spikes and a wall. Eventually he got to 600% damage.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
once I fought a CPU Captain Falcon on Port Twon Aero Dive, in Classic Mode (it was actually a Metal Captain Falcon), on Intense and when the stage wasn't moving, he simply ran out of bounds and SD'd.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Ike on Brinstar isn't too sharp either. After you steal his second jump he just gives up on recovery altogether.

divingsheep

Smash Rookie
Its like if say you were plomked into the middle of a stage you'd never played on before and were forced to play against someone of same or slightly less skill than you, except they had been playing for years on just this stage alone they would know every knook and cranny, every point of no return and every spot where you can trap your opponent. While you're having to figure out the hard way about the hard to recover from edges or the fact that the boundaries are incredibly close. this is how the cpus play at the start of every match on a custom stage.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Its like if say you were plomked into the middle of a stage you'd never played on before and were forced to play against someone of same or slightly less skill than you, except they had been playing for years on just this stage alone they would know every knook and cranny, every point of no return and every spot where you can trap your opponent. While you're having to figure out the hard way about the hard to recover from edges or the fact that the boundaries are incredibly close. this is how the cpus play at the start of every match on a custom stage.
Except, unlike a human, who can adapt before the match finishes, cpus will do the same thing over and over, completely disregarding their failure.

The Falconator

Smash Cadet
I think it's funny when the computer falls into spikes and get over 700 damage. They're not programmed to move away from the things that can kill you.:laugh:

Dritz

Smash Rookie
If you make a stage with 4 fall away blocks as the only spawn platforms and fill most of the rest of the map with ladders the CPUs will die constantly because they can't willingly climb up ladders.
Something shaped like this:

H H H H H
H*H*H*H*H
H H H H H
H H H H H

Asterisks are fall blocks, H's are ladders.
They will wait after they die to jump to the blocks again but then they will rush it and all die again. Absolutely hilarious.

Top Bottom