• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why should a competitive smasher play Mario?

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Nah, I don't find that weird at all. The only high-tier I can sort of handle is Marth, but I don't find him very fun and he doesn't flow for me like other characters do.

It seems to me though that you're only trying high tiers alongside mario... what about everyone else? You never know what you may discover in one of the other characters. Geeze, I prolly sound a bit pushy, but eh.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
Lol, well my mains are Samus/Mario, and I alt DK in tourneys. I also play with Marth, Ness also as alts. I play falcon every once in awhile when i'm feeling Knee Hungry, luigi when I feel like yelling "Sho-ryu-ken!", Pichu cause he's just hella fun (use to be one of my alts), Pikachu, Link because he's awsome, and Ganon when I'm feeling power hungry. I use to mess around with Fox Falco (like previously stated).

Characters I find I don't play with are Doc, Peach, Yoshi, Kirby, Mewtwo, YL, Fox, Falco, Roy, and IC's cause they really don't appeal to me at all lol.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
See, I'd say you're fine then Shogun. XD

You've obviously tested many characters and then still find Mario to be one of the best for you. Spiffy, more need to follow an example such as yours.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Although that sounds good, it's just Ike is grabbing alot of my attention. So is Kirby.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
@Envy
And you say I have a problem with my Kirby/Marth main.... (Whoa, random guy posting here!!!!)
It is usual that Ike is an attention grabber. He's a cool guy. He has blue hair. He has a giant sword.

Compared to Mario
Mustache=Cool
Mustache>Blue Hair
Mustache>Giant Sword
So stay a Mario Main. Perfect logic....

You once told me....
Envy said:
I-I-I...I-I..I-I...I only play Mario....why do you main so many people?
Maining both is fine. Because I randomly say so, but Brawl's gonna be different. (EDIT: Forgot the period, but does that matter)

Other than that try the game out first!

LOL 555 posts....

EDIT: So I wanted to say something on topic.... Because I play Mario too....

He is over all too fun to pass up on and an amazing handle for me. I always play him as a counter pick character if my Kirby is losing too much, other wise I pick a gay high tier.

iMichael

Smash Lord
@Envy
And you say I have a problem with my Kirby/Marth main.... (Whoa, random guy posting here!!!!)
It is usual that Ike is an attention grabber. He's a cool guy. He has blue hair. He has a giant sword.

Compared to Mario
Mustache=Cool
Mustache>Blue Hair
Mustache>Giant Sword
So stay a Mario Main. Perfect logic....

You once told me....

Maining both is fine. Because I randomly say so, but Brawl's gonna be different. (EDIT: Forgot the period, but does that matter)

Other than that try the game out first!

LOL 555 posts....

EDIT: So I wanted to say something on topic.... Because I play Mario too....

He is over all too fun to pass up on and an amazing handle for me. I always play him as a counter pick character if my Kirby is losing too much, other wise I pick a gay high tier.
Well last night I practiced as Kirby. I like him man....he's hella fun to play. Yeah my bad about saying "stick to one main" sh*t Kirby is too fun to play with.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't believe in tiers, thus, support them for that matter. Any character has it's strengths and weaknesses over another. It's just a matter of countering and getting the feel of the game. You get better through practice and experience, so I believe that any character can beat one another varying on the skill and moves of the player using the character.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Playing some characters will let you learn about many other characters and open you out. I played a lot of Kirby, then I got owned by projectile spamming Marios, so I picked him up. I figured out about Luigi's wavedash so I played him from Mario. Luigi's wavedash was long, and Marth had a long wavedash too so I picked him up. etc....

So basically I play all characters (Like Chok :D)

Except not Bowser, Yoshi, Ness, and Ice Climbers... :(

EDIT: Mario and Kirby's facial hair will make me continue play them!

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Some of the posts and comments about Mario and why he should be played are in a way hilarious.
agreed, everyone plays differently. if i like to fair ppl to death and use no other move then by all means let me be and play your own way xD

not to say i havent been inspired by another mario player to play a certian way in a given situation but everyone really does have their own style of play

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Ive only played a few really competitive players, but I will say that if I saw a mario today I would not know what the heck to do against him

But, that is a small advantage, and that wears off quickly after you don't kill them for 200%... But, I think that people feel a certain attraction to a character.. I know I do.

Either way, he i, according to gimpy, very good in brawl.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I play Mario because he's my favorite Nintendo character. Why not get good with him.....

Anony1200

Smash Rookie
EDIT: Mario and Kirby's facial hair will make me continue play them!
You just gave me nightmares.

Anyway,I have an uncanny talent of being able to play lower-tier characters.Mario and mr. Game and watch in this game,Homero in MUGEN,Scorpion in MK1,you know.I can do pretty good with Mario.Even if I don't feel like doing many AT,that's the thing that makes me goos:Unlike most,I don't slide around like it's -20 degrees and I'm ice skating with roller skates.I'm not saying I don't do 2 hits befire throwing,but I don't Shffl verry often.

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
I like the plumber because I tried maining Falco, too technical for me.

Captain Falcon = WTF IS GOING ON DON'T JUMP OFF THE LEDGE

Roy = Maybe my secondary...

Fox = Fun, but not for me.

Mario is the character for me

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon = WTF IS GOING ON DON'T JUMP OFF THE LEDGE
lawl. i had this problem for the longest time and thanks to a lot of video watching and practice and patience i have almost stopped my whole "you're off the stage so i might aswell be too" thing. although for comical relief. i still edgehop -uair into a dash jump falcon punch. so funny if it hits xD

MeloDeath

Smash Apprentice
true. This thread is purely about competitive smash. I'm becoming somewhat of an Eggz clone lately.
Fox is just an awesome character, and playing and understanding them both keeps things interesting.
My point here is there shouldnt be anything holding you back trying out new characters.

Like every serious smasher, i've had my falco phase, my marth phase and what not. truth is, that mario is a very enjoyable character for me. I've hardly had any competition in smash, and hope to change that when i go to Amsterdam university next year, where some good smashers are located.
I will see what happens to my vision on mario.

I will end my narcicistic story here. My point is that we all change, and if you keep liking playing with Mario then you should do it; i mean there is still a bit of honour and will te be different left in the competitive scene right ? Anyways, to those fixated on pure win-loss percentages, drop mario, but anyone who likes to rep the little perv, keep the neck stretched!

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
Mario is a good character.
And he is really fast IF... played right.. like you can really overwhelm your opponent with all his moves!!!
If you can master your techs AND see through what your opponent is doing
Then Mario just OWNS

Like Falcon but Mario just has his own way like Uair Shffl to FSmash just looks great
He is a good character overall if played correctly.
A good allround character which is quite useful.
A Character who you can really do whatever you want!!! Im reffering to mindgames. Like you can do anything to overwhelm you opponent
(Emptyairials, WD, WaveDashDance, DashDance, Bair WaveLand)

AND he as a pretty good projectile.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
No, Mario is a decent character. (when compared to ALL characters as a whole)
I agree that he can be fast, but he will never in melee be as fast as fox, captain falcon, sheik, etc.
What you're saying here is basically that you have to be really good to do well with mario, this is true.

Look, I really enjoy playing as Mario too, he's a really fun character that can do neat stuff. If you fully acknowledge his weaknesses however (as Gimpy was saying in his youtube video) you can be a much more effective player with him. I hope none of that offends you or anything, but whatever.

franman

Smash Rookie
I do agree with what you're say'n that stick'n with your favourite character doesn't mean you're best with that character, but I was only play Smash Bros casually. I can refer to an instance when I was playing Soul Calibur against tourney players, I lose a lot when I was playing my most favourite character. Eventually I discovered that it was my least favourite character that I'm doing well with so I'm stick'n with him.

Eventually I think you come across a situation where you begin to appreciate your character and it kinda feels like he/she is a part of you.

bearquat3

Smash Rookie
Well, I have always mained Mario since the 64 days, and I don't see that ending for Brawl. I just completely enjoy playing with him, and I do manage alright against the smash league down here. I will certainly do better when Brawl arrives and new techs will have to be learned, but I always pick up a second character as well to balance myself. For melee it was sheik, and for Brawl who knows. I'd hope for a return of Ness if he is good enough, as I was forced to drop him because of crappiness for Melee, but you never know...

Top Bottom