• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why SH Backflips Are Amazing

Triforce of Death

Smash Rookie
The pinnacle of manliness; jump over your opponent's head to punish with an aerial. Not only do SHBF make you look cool, but they setup for many "combos".

Execution

1. Face away from your opponent
2. Jump diagonally backwards
3. Input aerial at correct time to fully complete backflip

Make sure not to stop short halfway!

Aerials

1. Nair (First Hit)
2. Bair (Most Widely Used)
3. Knee (Too Pro If Landed)
4. Uair (...)

Knowing what you can followup with after a SHBF Aerial can really pile the damage high.

Followups (Best)

1. Nair: Gentleman, Ftilt, Utilt, Dtilt, Grab
2. Bair: Gentleman, Ftilt, Raptor Boost, iDA
3. Knee: "Show Me Ya Moves!"
4. Uair: Gentleman, Filt, Grab, Dtilt, Utilt

Implementing this technique is key to any Falcon's game!

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
Actually, they are both technically hitboxes. Hurtbox is a term made up by people for your character's body/where ever they are hurt, so as to avoid confusion with body hitboxes and the hitboxes for attacks.

Mit

Smash Ace
I short-hop-backflip forwards and not backwards. Then you can use bair when behind your opponent at a further (hopefully safe) distance :)

I also dance around in place while trying to bait stuff by doing those backflips all over.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
More generally, manipulating Falcon's hurtbox seems to be pivotal to reaching the height of his game.

I have also seen this in some other characters.

It is a matter of character-character advantage that some character's can manipulate their bodies and some can't. Look at Snake's jumps. But look at his crouch.

Falcon's Raptor Boost, and also his Fsmash, move his body back, just far enough that you can actually dodge moves with it.
This gives you a powerful tool in the spacing war, I cannot underscore that hard enough.

In fact, my finding is that all (and only) the Fsmashes that move the hurtbox, are the ones with the stutter step property. I believe this may have been put in to increase the difficulty in abusing the hurtbox movement property... because, what you really want to do with the move.... is not take a step forwards, but take a step back.

I had not believed the backflip could be practically used, but now I'll try harder.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This is actually a really fun thing to do and it's great you're seriously trying to implement it.

xYoh

Smash Cadet
You can also use Falcon Punch/ Kick while doing this, usually fools the opponent.

noradseven

Smash Lord
More generally, manipulating Falcon's hurtbox seems to be pivotal to reaching the height of his game.

I have also seen this in some other characters.

It is a matter of character-character advantage that some character's can manipulate their bodies and some can't. Look at Snake's jumps. But look at his crouch.

Falcon's Raptor Boost, and also his Fsmash, move his body back, just far enough that you can actually dodge moves with it.
This gives you a powerful tool in the spacing war, I cannot underscore that hard enough.

In fact, my finding is that all (and only) the Fsmashes that move the hurtbox, are the ones with the stutter step property. I believe this may have been put in to increase the difficulty in abusing the hurtbox movement property... because, what you really want to do with the move.... is not take a step forwards, but take a step back.

I had not believed the backflip could be practically used, but now I'll try harder.
No the regular ones move it too but they only move your upper body your still vunerable to hits on your feat.

IDK I abuse the backflip against characters with projectiles all the time on ZSS first then started doing it with falcon.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Don't forget you can also flubb the knee (hitting opponent without justice), and it may cause (in fact, it's very likely to cause) tripping. The possibilities of that!

Top Bottom