• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why not Alpha stages? (Battlefield stages)

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Just make the Omega version of each stage with platforms and change it's name to Alpha (reminds you of Hoenn, doesn't it?).

This way, everyone can truly admire all the visuals and enjoy the music pieces of each stage without having any issues with stage format.

It may split For Glory into two pieces, one with Omega stages and one with Alpha stages, but it would work either way.

Anybody with me on this one? Maybe in the next patch?

CMonster1221

Smash Rookie
NNID
CMonster1221
Or the ability to turn hazards off on stages would make quite a few more viable. Cant be the only one who thinks the new pokemon stage is pretty sweet. But has hella random things going on.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Having that 1 step of extra control would fix so many stage problems... honestly, the custom stages are perfectly viable competitively this time around, but because of the visual limitations, they aren't as spectator-friendly.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
"Why not Alpha stages?"

Because they don't exist. It's as simple as that. The game devs gave us Omega stages and we have very little input as far as implementing new features is concerned. It's not a bad idea, but this is effectively a fan site and we can't make it come true.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
YES YES YES YES YES. If Alpha stages were implemented into the game and also in for glory, it would fix the problem with for glory players not being used to platforms on stages. This needs to happen. I don't think it will happen in a patch but definitely in the next smash game this is a possibility
"Why not Alpha stages?"

Because they don't exist. It's as simple as that. The game devs gave us Omega stages and we have very little input as far as implementing new features is concerned. It's not a bad idea, but this is effectively a fan site and we can't make it come true.
Never underestimate what fans can do to change a game. Just look at Smash. If it wasn't for the competitive players I don't think for glory would even be a thing

Squid Squad

Smash Rookie
NNID
ICYoshi
3DS FC
4682-8452-8694
It's just too good to be true. It would be a great patch but definitely not somthing I can see Nintendo doing

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
That would make sense and be a good idea. But Nintendo is all about executing bad ideas now-a-days. For example, look at all the New 3DSs being sold without chargers, and not making enough official chargers available at stores.

But ok, jokes aside, it would be nice to have more than just Final Destination. Stage isn't really that balanced, it favors good ground games and good projectile control.

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
If Nintendo truly wanted this game to succeed, they would implement this. Minimal effort for such a huge outcome, a much better game for spectators to enjoy.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
i bet custom stages will become legal after nintendoes implement the share function so it will be easy to access the premade stages

as for these "alpha" stages, you have battlefield already that should do it for now

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I do not like the idea of Alpha stages being based on Battlefield. However, that is just my opinion. I would prefer Alpha Smashville stages or no changes. Splitting the player-base in half for variants does not seem like a good idea to me personally. I would not mind it if it was a 50/50 random stage select though.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
i bet custom stages will become legal after nintendoes implement the share function so it will be easy to access the premade stages

as for these "alpha" stages, you have battlefield already that should do it for now
Omg yeah if standard custom stages that are similar to battlefield are legal that would be awesome cause you could play with any music you want and change the backround to what you want

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
If it wasn't for the competitive players I don't think for glory would even be a thing
I feel like For Glory was less about appealing to competitive players and more about playing a cruel joke at the expense of competitive players.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Haha what do you mean a cruel joke?
"Hey Sakurai, you know that whole "Fox only, no items, Final Destination" thing? What if we actually put that in the game? It would be hilarious!"

Final Destination is a garbage stage, if he thinks he's appealing to us by forcing us to play there then he is sorely mistaken.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
"Hey Sakurai, you know that whole "Fox only, no items, Final Destination" thing? What if we actually put that in the game? It would be hilarious!"
I'm pretty sure it isn't a joke; I'll bet he honestly believes the "Final Destination Only" stereotype. Omega Stages weren't to mock us, they were to theoretically give us competitive players a way to play on every stage. Which, technically worked, I guess, since all of the Omegas are legal at tournaments.

I hear FD is far more popular in Japan as well, but I'm no expert at this whole competitive thing yet.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Sakurai said during the first Smash direct that he wanted all the competitive players to enjoy the wide-range of music that smash has to offer, not only that but the nifty visuals of different stages to add some spice to every competitive match. I'm the only one sick of the repetitive music of Battlefield, Smashville, Halberd, etc.? I can't be. Alpha stages would fix the problem! MORE COMPETITIVE STAGES, MORE VISUAL AND SOUND ENJOYMENT!!!

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428

Final Destination is a garbage stage, if he thinks he's appealing to us by forcing us to play there then he is sorely mistaken.
It wasn't a cruel joke. If it was Fox only, no items, final destination then we could only play as fox. Final Destination is not a garbage stage, it is a completely legal stage in competitive play. Sakurai added this so that smash players could easily find matches in a simple competitive setting, which is helping a lot of people get into the competitive smash scene for the first time. So Sakurai is technically helping us, not screwing the fans.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681

Well, online Brawl statistics showed it was the most picked stage. Online Brawl was a joke too, but it did encompass the majority of the playerbase at the time. We all gotta remember that the competitive SmashWiiU community is compromised of roughly a thousand people (and growing), but Smash Bros is played by hundreds of thousands of people.

With this in mind, I can see why Final Destination was used as the stage in "For Glory."

I don't agree with "FD is a garbage stage," there's nothing terrible about it and it has nothing that greatly interrupts usual combat. However, I do think it polarizes certain matchups and also think that Battlefield is much more fair.

Last edited:

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
There's always a chance that they might bring back old competitively viable stages(Like Fountain of Dreams) from past games through the shop whenever that goes up.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
There's always a chance that they might bring back old competitively viable stages(Like Fountain of Dreams) from past games through the shop whenever that goes up.
That would be a dream come true. Fountain of Dreams is bae

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story as DLC.

Get on it Sakurai.

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Old school Final Destination isn't happening but one can dream.
Just make Omega FD into old FD. Normal FD can stay as it is.
It'd be a cool little thing, and after all there's currently no use for the Omega version of FD anyway (is there even a difference? I think there is but it's super minor).
That'd be a nice nod to melee, haha. Not willing to pay for it though. Package it and Pokemon Stadium 1 with Mewtwo, please. :D

misterbreadcrum

Smash Cadet
NNID
Misterbreadcrum
I wish this would happen, but honestly the fact that I've come to sadly realize about this game is that Sakurai doesn't want it to be competitive in any way, and I really don't think he cares about that demographic of player (even though it's basically half of it if not more.)

Wasn't there a promised tournament mode in the 50+ factstravaganza? If we ever get it, all I'm going to do is send him love letters and chocolate so that he knows how much we care about that version of the game, and maybe fix those aspects pertaining to it.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
I would rather each stage in Smash 4 been given a "competitive" version (can still keep the Omega name) where a more neutral version is made that keeps the theming of the original, but is fit for tournaments -- you know, like the stuff you'll find on Brawl Vault or in the major Brawl mods.

I realize this would likely have added more time to the development process, but a separate team dedicated to it could've been used to minimize it. Besides, it can't be that hard to make a minimalistic stage taken from elements that already exist in the original.

misterbreadcrum

Smash Cadet
NNID
Misterbreadcrum
I would rather each stage in Smash 4 been given a "competitive" version (can still keep the Omega name) where a more neutral version is made that keeps the theming of the original, but is fit for tournaments -- you know, like the stuff you'll find on Brawl Vault or in the major Brawl mods.

I realize this would likely have added more time to the development process, but a separate team dedicated to it could've been used to minimize it. Besides, it can't be that hard to make a minimalistic stage taken from elements that already exist in the original.
Your signature is the best thing I've ever seen. It is obviously what Sakurai really wants out of the game. He cares for nothing else but the eternal battle of his spirit animals.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
I hear FD is far more popular in Japan as well, but I'm no expert at this whole competitive thing yet.
its popular in japan because it smashville and battlefield are the only legal brawl stages there

Top Bottom