• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Lylat Cruise is one of our best stages

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So as I've been delving further into how Pikachu interacts with stages, I have noticed that Pikachu has access to a lot shenanigans on a stage that most people really don't like in this game: Lylat Cruise. Lylat is considered a Neutral Stage in many rulesets and a Counterpick at APEX. Regardless, it is a stage that is unlikely to go anywhere anytime soon. So this thread will give you a brief insight into why I think this stage is very good for us. This won't be too long of a read, but it might give you some food for thought at your next tournament on your Game 2 or 3 match. So let's look at the stage real quick:

***For preliminary facts about this stage please visit this thread (Credit to @ Budget Player Cadet_ Budget Player Cadet_ )***

As we know, Lylat tilts back and forth throughout the match. It is because of this, that many characters do not enjoy this stage. Recoveries that tend to travel in a certain trajectory and rely on ledge snapping, can really be inhibited here thanks to the fact that the ledges are almost always moving. That alone, gives it merit as a counterpick against certain characters. Some characters have to delay their recoveries to ensure they ledge snap and Pikachu is the master of taking advantage of situations like this. In some cases, the opponent may make it back to the stage but may miss the ledge due to this and provide you with a free punish. And in extreme cases, the opponent could potentially SD or allow you to gimp them because of this. In addition, since Pikachu's Quick Attack has two parts to it, it's extremely rare you would ever SD due to the stage. If you aren't sure about your angle with QA1, you can simply QA2 to ensure you make it back. Recoveries that have flexibility like ours aren't as hindered by the stage's tilts.

However, one of the real gems of this stage lies in the fact that the entire stage is actually tilting/moving. That means, you can Quick Attack Cancel anytime the stage is tilting as long as you're on a tilting part of the stage. This means that for a majority of the match, most of the stage is your QAC playground.

What does that mean for you?

Since you're able to QAC without worrying about being on the edge of a platform or ledge, that means your mobility is greatly enhanced. That means you have more mixup options available to you. In addition, that means you can pursue more aggressive edgeguarding and gimping.

When you QAC, that means the lag at the end of Quick Attack is canceled. That means if you manage to hit someone with QAC on a moving part of the stage, you can follow up immediately. That means more combo opportunities. More U-Tilts, Nairs, Up Smashes, Up Airs and more. Your frame advantage on QAC follow up is increased significantly on this stage because the stage's tilt cancels Quick Attack for you.

You have more recovery options. Depending on where the tilt is, you don't have to rely on ledge snaps. You can simply QAC back on one of the higher platforms on the lower section and perhaps Quick Attack again or attack your opponent who is expecting to punish you for landing on the stage. Not to mention, you can mix it up with Thunder Jolts on the small platforms to occupy a lot of small and keep your opponent busy. You can also Skull Bash under this stage as well like you can most stages.

Certain attacks will miss you if you're on a downward slope. This is especially useful due to Pikachu's small frame. Example: If a Marth/Lucina tries to Shield Breaker you on a slope and you crouch, it misses. Free punish.

Now something to look out for is the edges of the stage where the tilts are most obvious. If you aren't careful while QAC'ing on a downward slope: the following can happen to you:

You can aerial into the stage if you do it too quickly since the ground is now moving away from you. That means if you mistime anything but a Fair, you're going to get a hard landing. Dair at least provides a shockwave but in most cases this means you can get punished.

You could possibly shoot yourself off the side of the stage because you slid off the slope too quickly. This means you could input something you didn't want to off stage and put yourself in a bad position.

Overall, I feel this stage adds more to our game while hindering other characters. I'm still experimenting with certain aspects of this stage but I believe it's a great stage for us overall. If you haven't really experimented here, give it a shot. If you disagree, I'd love to hear why for the sake of metagame discussion. I haven't seen enough metagame discussion on these threads so I want to "spark" some life into these forum. <3

Thanks for reading,
Tech
:4pikachu:

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
glad you made this thread, im just about to finish up a thread ive been writing on QAC and i talk a good deal about lylat and why its so good for these reasons

ZTD | TECHnology

Looking forward to your thread. I've got a plan to help foster more discussion here. Stage experimentation is but one of many phases.

skiboots

Smash Cadet
NNID
skiboots
Hmm. Interesting. Being new to Smash competitively (Played only a handful of Brawl games, and played Melee as a child), how practical is this? Like, is this something that is just kinda "gimmicky" and neat? Or is it something that is worth practicing in the lab (as in, I should practice this bc I will most likely use this in a situation if I'm on Lylat)

Thanks a ton dude!

Soul.

Hmm. Interesting. Being new to Smash competitively (Played only a handful of Brawl games, and played Melee as a child), how practical is this? Like, is this something that is just kinda "gimmicky" and neat? Or is it something that is worth practicing in the lab (as in, I should practice this bc I will most likely use this in a situation if I'm on Lylat)

Thanks a ton dude!
It's not really gimmicky. It just helps Pikachu.
It is definitely something worth practicing.

ZTD | TECHnology

Thanks a ton dude!
You are very welcome.

To answer your question:

Quick Attack and Quick Attack canceling is a rather important part of our metagame. As this is the case, this is not so much a gimmick but moreso an intelligent way of extending one of our best tools. So it is certainly worth learning.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
i find that on stages that are flat, ergo not much canceling to be done, its still an amazing mixup to qa towards the ledge when your oppent is trying to recover and ledge cancel to nair or bair. Bair has spiking potential, and nair does as well and comes out faster, meaning less time to tech. just some fun thoughts to play with

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
First tournament I went to, Pilot Wings was a counterpick, and I considered it Pika's #1 stage..

Now that its seemingly banned (-_-), Lylat is a great second pick

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Lylat should pretty much be auto banned against pika lol that stage is insane also yeah our jolt and QA game become really dumb on it.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Hey, I ran into a glitch that got me killed here. I was at a tournament at my old school, and I was playing against a marth, who was either playing solidly, or I was just running into stuff because he wasn't good. Anyhow, Marth had rage, and He grabbed me at 35% on the right side of the stage. The stage tilted? and I broke out of the grab. What I noticed was when I broke out of the grab, marth reset to neutral, while I went into a sort of wario grab release animation where I couldnt do anything for a second. Marth F-aired me , off I went to oblivion.

Why couldn't I move ?

Yikarur

Smash Master
This stage in Smash 4 lifts the player in the air at certain points. Everyone standing on the ground basically resets to neutral when that happens. All moves are cancelled so the grabbing Marth returned to neutral while you where grabbed so you have been in grab release animation while Marth could freely move to get a free hit out of it.

Top Bottom