• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why isn't there a "Pokemon Trainer Back Room?!"

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
oh, haha yeah. I really like PT, but i probably don't have as much knowledge as people who currently main him and have mained him for a long time

i'd say i'm pretty good with all 3, i shine with each of them at times

i was really impressed with ninjalink's ivysaur and i saw that he's not as limited as i thought

except NL is always reckless with whatever character he plays LOL no wonder he mains diddy kong who is the only character who can get away with attacking the entire time

CoonTail

Smash Lord
OK i have to admit my face isnt seen very much on poke trainer boards for the reason that early on in brawl i recieved alot of heat and hazing from some members of the board, which made me very angry because I have been playing brawl since it was released in Japan like quite a few other dedicated players. I had found out hydroplanning without the help of the boards because i had played the game for at least a month or two in advance to its arrival in america but when I tried to explain I had figured it out by myself people misunderstood and thought I was saying I was the creator of it and kinda hazed me off the board, Ive become successful with all 3 pokemon(but squirtle is deffinitly the strongest) and I have been to at least 5 or 6 tournies. I can be quite knowledgable and have found Typh and IRL to be some of the most constant sources of real info on these boards. I dont think a backroom is needed at all I just think a thread for players who have proven they know what they are talkin about should be made and ran by Typh and IRL if they have any interest.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
the pt boards are almost as useless as the sonic boards :D
Sigh... seems like it. It's not quite a corpse, but it sure seems to be rotting away.

OK i have to admit my face isnt seen very much on poke trainer boards for the reason that early on in brawl i recieved alot of heat and hazing from some members of the board, which made me very angry because I have been playing brawl since it was released in Japan like quite a few other dedicated players. I had found out hydroplanning without the help of the boards because i had played the game for at least a month or two in advance to its arrival in america but when I tried to explain I had figured it out by myself people misunderstood and thought I was saying I was the creator of it and kinda hazed me off the board, Ive become successful with all 3 pokemon(but squirtle is deffinitly the strongest) and I have been to at least 5 or 6 tournies. I can be quite knowledgable and have found Typh and IRL to be some of the most constant sources of real info on these boards. I dont think a backroom is needed at all I just think a thread for players who have proven they know what they are talkin about should be made and ran by Typh and IRL if they have any interest.
Sup... NY represent!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Haahha I may have an accent but it aint like that, but thanks guru. Now back to what I was saying I think the poketrainer boards have to start a list of players that are known, capable of providing solid info from either experimenting or tournaments, and can really help the real poketrainer players expand their capablility.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
If we really want PT to really be recognized, we just have to get out there and place well in respected tournaments from respected areas. I've been training pretty heavily lately to do just that here in good ol' NY area.

PT for the spotlight... or at least not backstage. :)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
PT for the spotlight... or at least not backstage. :)
To be fair, Squirtle does a pretty good job on cleanup duty XD

Yeah, I agree though that PT shouldn't be as neglected as he is... though I won't be the one to reverse that trend... (God I'm a bad PT...)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Idk. I still think it's errelavent to have a "back room". PT comes with rarity. There are few of us, It's a wonder this board maintains a minimal normal productive state. I'm sure we are the second least active next to the Falcon boards. Besides, I read a few of the posts on the first page and I gotta agree, we would be holding many people out, besides there is no point of having a secret society that is hiding all the good secrets of the MK game. What would be the point of finding a secret behind closed doors if it couldn't be shared with the whole community, we may be a minority but I know everyone on these boards takes pride in chosing PT as their main or secondary as I do. Besides, I like this board, fro mthe first day I arrived it was all about sharing info and giving tips and stuff, that's why I started my Online thread. I did it to expand as far as I could on this board, meet new people, gain tips give tips, get this board interconnected. I think a back room would be bad for the community. So no back room society for me thank you.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
The point isnt to hide secrets, they would be shared once something useful was found. The point is to ensure that threads remain unclogged and have people who have proven themselves as knowledgeable members contributing.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Zeph said it better than I could have, Im not trying to keep people from knowing poke trainer AT's and secret's but when I come for them myself I want to be able to get an answer with real backing from someone who knows what they are talkin about. The original reason I wasnt on this thread was because of people who didnt kno what they were talkin about and people who were not knowledgeable or helpful at all. I seriously would just like to create some form of list or thread that would only have intelligent experience based players helping other experience based players, not people saying IVYSAUR SUX IT HAS A GARABAGE RECOVERY!!!!

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
ivysaur is ****

landing random charged upsmashes and sniping up-b is too good

CoonTail

Smash Lord
See and sorry to say it steeler no offense intendedbut thats what i mean man, Ivysaur doesnt suck Ivy has a poor recovery to say ivy sucked based on a poor recovery is a poor statement.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ivy sucks because he has poor damage output (thank god for bullet seed), huge blindspots in the air (ie anything outside of bair's range) and is not good at getting KO's.

finally, he has the worst recovery in the game. :p

he's not the worst character in the game, but he's definitely the worst of pt's pokemon.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Therein lies the problem. As much as I appreciate the general posts and ideas we have of the Pokemon...

We're too busy looking around and saying "____ doesn't suck" while we remain pretty much in the dust of every other character. We're too busy trying to brush up on ATs and whatnot when we should be figuring out how to kill with Ivysaur, how to start landing more of Squirtle's stronger moves so he's not just a "gimp/D-throw" machine, and how to wall with Charizard. We're too busy getting caught up in trivial bullcrap to actually progress faster.

I'll admit it. I suck. I will probably never hit top 8 of any decent-sized tourney with any character I choose, especially PT. However, I do understand that we need to quit trying to find fancy crap and we need to quit fitting the stereotypes of the Pokemon. I know that there are many more knowledgeable posters who have brought up ways as to help with recovering with Ivysaur and how to kill with Squirtle and all, and I believe that this was the right stuff. We need to continue in that direction!

We need to start addressing our general weaknesses and look at things that people have lower expectations of for each Pokemon and to start maximizing these things. We need to stop playing on auto-pilot mode and to start finding ways around our opponent's strengths using methods that aren't normally taken into consideration (read: Down B). We need to, essentially, refine Pokemon Trainer's vast metagame and we need to really start talking about how the role of each Pokemon for each individual match-up instead of in general. I want to know if it's better for Ivysaur to rack up damage against a character or if Ivy should be in only to kill. I want to know if Squirtle is more important for his gimps, his killing moves, or his quick damage racking moves for each character. I want to know if Charizard should be maximizing the chance to KO/gimp an opponent or if Flamethrowering + pummeling and throwing is better suited to protect Charizard from dying early on and to allow Squirtle to not have to waste time and to just get the stock.

I believe that, above all else, we need to discuss these things. As bad of a player as I might be, I want to at least have a basis to work on instead of just trying to find my general playstyle (which, alone, isn't the best answer to what Brawl has to throw at me). We need to get off of this trivial game of "NO U" and start proving, by torunaments and/or by simple discussion, that the potential isn't just there, but that the potential PT has is going somewhere.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
protip: stop reading the PT board, stop worrying about percentages and advantages and counterpicks and all the other minutiae, get out and go tournaments every weekend, and play with good people.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea between typh and successor its all there, successor has it right as to wat should be going on on the boards, and typh has it down as to what we should be doing normally. But i think this page is starting to get closer to its goal in the first place, all the posters are starting to show their opinions on this so mayb a backroom isnt needed at all mayb we all need to just do more work

Miles.

Smash Champion
Therein lies the problem. As much as I appreciate the general posts and ideas we have of the Pokemon...

We're too busy looking around and saying "____ doesn't suck" while we remain pretty much in the dust of every other character. We're too busy trying to brush up on ATs and whatnot when we should be figuring out how to kill with Ivysaur, how to start landing more of Squirtle's stronger moves so he's not just a "gimp/D-throw" machine, and how to wall with Charizard. We're too busy getting caught up in trivial bullcrap to actually progress faster.

I'll admit it. I suck. I will probably never hit top 8 of any decent-sized tourney with any character I choose, especially PT. However, I do understand that we need to quit trying to find fancy crap and we need to quit fitting the stereotypes of the Pokemon. I know that there are many more knowledgeable posters who have brought up ways as to help with recovering with Ivysaur and how to kill with Squirtle and all, and I believe that this was the right stuff. We need to continue in that direction!

We need to start addressing our general weaknesses and look at things that people have lower expectations of for each Pokemon and to start maximizing these things. We need to stop playing on auto-pilot mode and to start finding ways around our opponent's strengths using methods that aren't normally taken into consideration (read: Down B). We need to, essentially, refine Pokemon Trainer's vast metagame and we need to really start talking about how the role of each Pokemon for each individual match-up instead of in general. I want to know if it's better for Ivysaur to rack up damage against a character or if Ivy should be in only to kill. I want to know if Squirtle is more important for his gimps, his killing moves, or his quick damage racking moves for each character. I want to know if Charizard should be maximizing the chance to KO/gimp an opponent or if Flamethrowering + pummeling and throwing is better suited to protect Charizard from dying early on and to allow Squirtle to not have to waste time and to just get the stock.

I believe that, above all else, we need to discuss these things. As bad of a player as I might be, I want to at least have a basis to work on instead of just trying to find my general playstyle (which, alone, isn't the best answer to what Brawl has to throw at me). We need to get off of this trivial game of "NO U" and start proving, by torunaments and/or by simple discussion, that the potential isn't just there, but that the potential PT has is going somewhere.
protip: stop reading the PT board, stop worrying about percentages and advantages and counterpicks and all the other minutiae, get out and go tournaments every weekend, and play with good people.
Last paragraph was good ralphie.

Typh said is all.

Go DO WORK PT Boards.

Here and at tourneys, I am off to go smash in an hour.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
hey raph

actually if you read between the lines there is a lot of great information on the pt boards its just hard to find. And exploring AT is a great way to approach learning a character. Sorry we don't have a large enough base to see what works in irl but we do what we can and when we can. how much do you think we improved our diddy matchup because of pant's hydrotoss? you can complain all you want but telling you how to play is not going to make pt better. how you play pt is up to you. showing you whats possible is the best anyone can do.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
hey raph

actually if you read between the lines there is a lot of great information on the pt boards its just hard to find. And exploring AT is a great way to approach learning a character. Sorry we don't have a large enough base to see what works in irl but we do what we can and when we can. how much do you think we improved our diddy matchup because of pant's hydrotoss? you can complain all you want but telling you how to play is not going to make pt better. how you play pt is up to you. showing you whats possible is the best anyone can do.
I saw that the Diddy match-up was improved, and I'm obviously not disregarding the things that people have done. I basically just want to know what's possible... however, that was not the main point of my post.

I simply want people to quit trying to prove everyone wrong by saying "____ doesn't suck" and similar crap. That's what tournaments are for.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Do you really need one though? Having to discuss matchups in the "back room" with out a portion of the PT community isn't a great idea.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I simply want people to quit trying to prove everyone wrong by saying "____ doesn't suck" and similar crap. That's what tournaments are for.
Ralph your right it shouldnt be a game of proving everyone wrong and to be honest its hard not to feel you have to prove everyone wrong when they chose to doubt you. Steeler is right in his opinions about ivysaur, and i dont agree but that isnt going to change either of our views. After looking through this thread it has become apparent who the more experienced and more knowledgeable PT's are on this board, So im taking IRL's and Typh's point and just have to do work until I no longer have to deal with doubt then ill be able to show why I disapproved certain views with my work and findings.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
It's frustrating, I know. At the very least, by winning tournaments you can prove it for those of us who suck regardless.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Well ralph you keep saying you suck, but you seem to be the only person whos managed to put a comment up on this thread and manage to pull the thread back in its original direction......you may suck but not with words homie

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
lol, exactly.

I'll stay here and just analyze crap while you guys go out and rep the PT. :D

zeta

Smash Journeyman
so as you all know the pt backroom or ptbr was formed. bring us a topic we'll discus and dish out the most relevant and useful info on that topic

we're currently discussing
counterpick stages
starter pokemon
and falco strategies

Top Bottom