• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why isn't the d-throw chain grab on Fox used more often?

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
I think it's because you can tech out of the d-throw and that means you have to read pretty hard. Uthrowing onto a platform, bthrowing/fthrowing off the stage are way more reliable when it comes to follow ups. I think the fthrow/bthrow regrab combos are more likely to be successful in general.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I dthrow a couple times to get a read on what he'll do, and then I short hop bair in the direction he techs (or doesn't). It's a good, simple surprise that at the very least gets him off stage so you can edgeguard. It's vulnerable to a shine or shieldgrab, though, so if you think he's going to see it coming, waveland out of the shorthop instead of bairing.

trilok

Smash Apprentice
Its because they can shine you out of it, or di away, depending on the percents. It can always be gotten out of or punished on reaction. I dont think teching is even possible at the lower percents and will just get fox grabbed if he tries doing it instead of the other option
The only way it should be used is as a rare mixup when it might catch ppl off guard into another grab or a dsmash

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Fox can tech the down throw or shine out of it, it works sometimes a surprise move though if they expected an upthrow or something else.

Thor

Smash Champion
He can shine out of it before you can follow up.
Can't Falco shine before Fox can? I think I've read it's like +2 or something, so it's not that Falco can do anything other than shine or shield, but can't he protect himself from a Fox shine with his shield?

Dthrow CG is a trick not a real thing, and it's only dthrow -> regrab usually because DI and someone will react on the second dthrow even if they don't on the first. It will catch people off guard sometimes but it can be beaten by Fox easily if they know what it is.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
My bad, I just checked that out, you can't tech it.

I'm guessing if the fox is kind of slow you can shine him, or even down smash him. Down throw is not a true chaingrab and any decent fox will just shine after 2 or 3 repetitions if not on the first one.

Is a good mix up.

Splice

Smash Hero
I've seen Zhu use Dthrow as a mixup inside a Bthrow DI-mixup regrab combo.
Did like Bthrow-Bthrow-Dthrow-Bthrow-Uthrow on Chillin' Fox or something like that.
Longest series of grabs I've ever seen a Falco do.
I don't think you should call it a chaingrab because I believe by definition that means it's unescapable, which it certainly isn't.
But it's apparently possible to regrab or grab-combo with it.

In PAL Fox can tech the Dthrow everytime so Bthrow/Uthrow pretty much always better, I use Dthrow on platforms to try and be a hard-read master tho.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Because its long animation makes it easy to DI / respond to. Coupled with the fact that Fox can action before Falco can legitimately follow up (assuming Fox knows the DI & what he can do before Falco can attempt a follow up) this makes following up d-throw on savvy opponents tough.

If the opponent doesn't know what to do then yeah it can work.

That said, u-throw is generally better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom