• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is weed illegal?

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I must admit:
I used to be hardcore anti-drug 2014 and before. After that, I simply decided to do some actual research on it and did the classic comparisons between it and other legalized drugs such as tabacco and alcohol and I really came to the conclusion on my own that this nearly universal "ban" on weed kinda didn't make sense on my book. I really started feeling like it was just illegal because the producers of drugs currently legalized would definitely not like it and the police even benefits from it being illegal through things like the Drug War. I do think if it should be legal.
I plan on getting a bong soon, but whether I'll actually use it for weed or not is still a mistery to me, to be honest.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
It's amazing how people will demonize anti-marijuana proponents because of greed but fail to realize that pro-marijuana advocacy is itself a multi-billion dollar industry that fudges facts of marijuana and preys on people's gullibilities.

I'm pro legalization to the extent of people being able to smoke on private property and not being arrested/fined for carrying it. I just think it's absolutely hypocritical how so many blind advocates blast the ignorance of "conservatives" when they'll believe that there's literally no downside to smoking it unfiltered and that smoking it is the best/only way of obtaining its medical benefits.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I really see a potential problem with developing teens using this.

Same thing with alcohol where I know that developing kids already might be deals with tons of emotional issues and other problems. Depression, anxiety stuff like that could become a lot worse with they are using weed regularly.

That would be my only issue with it when I do think the drug is fine to be legal.

Some of this could be the result of over-usage of the stuff but really young teens like 13-14 most likely shouldn't be using this or even alcohol that early.

Getting closer to 16 and up, it might be ok but I'd have to look into it more and see what happens at certain ages.

I'd say for the US the best age range would be at 18, same with voting and Alcohol consumption should be brought down to that age.

You could argue younger, but even I'm not comfortable with kids doing stuff like this as young as 13.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman

Same thing with alcohol where I know that developing kids already might be deals with tons of emotional issues and other problems. Depression, anxiety stuff like that could become a lot worse with they are using weed regularly.

That would be my only issue with it when I do think the drug is fine to be legal.

Some of this could be the result of over-usage of the stuff but really young teens like 13-14 most likely shouldn't be using this or even alcohol that early.

Getting closer to 16 and up, it might be ok but I'd have to look into it more and see what happens at certain ages.

I'd say for the US the best age range would be at 18, same with voting and Alcohol consumption should be brought down to that age.

You could argue younger, but even I'm not comfortable with kids doing stuff like this as young as 13.
I agree 100%.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow

They are hooking kids up with chemicals produced in labs. You think marijuana has more harsh effects than pills?

What about people with seizures? Alcohol is 18 because it is literally pure poison. There isn't medicinal elements to it at all.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They are hooking kids up with chemicals produced in labs. You think marijuana has more harsh effects than pills?

What about people with seizures? Alcohol is 18 because it is literally pure poison. There isn't medicinal elements to it at all.
If monitored by a doctor and done well I have no issues with teens using medication.

Weed has emotional and physical affects on people. Nothing dangerous or worse than alcohol but it can easily mess with young kids who might not know better abs have enough troubles with hormones and the like.

i'm ok with weed being legal for leisure but don't think that means it's ok for young kids to smoke it for leasure.

18 is around when I would feel comfortable with it. 13-14 is when I start to get worried and reconsider.

Crooked Crow

18 is a fine age unless prescribed otherwise by a doctor. I can live with that.

I personally, have been smoking since I was 17 for medicinal purposes. I get extremely bad anxiety and depression otherwise. I'm diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. I get panic attacks.

The list goes on. If I wasn't on this stuff, I'd be a doped up zombie putting who knows what chemicals into my body. You start to feel totally drained as the years go on, taking this stuff.

Pharmaceuticals dislike weed simply because they'd lose control over their market. But yes, giving it to kids is definitely a no-no.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I'm all up for its legalization but I do think it should be for ages 18 and over like a lot of other things of this calibre.

Crooked Crow

Jesus Ryu, you have 25k posts? You were the Lucario Brawl moderator, right? Used to struggle vs that matchup as Yoshi, so I'd lurk particular matchup threads. :V

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Jesus Ryu, you have 25k posts? You were the Lucario Brawl moderator, right? Used to struggle vs that matchup as Yoshi, so I'd lurk particular matchup threads. :V
I am but now I play Charizard in Smash 4 so I mostly mod that, though I also play Peach in Melee/PM. Lucario is my homeboy in Pokken now though.

With subjects like this though it's mostly difficult due to the fact age is super subjective in terms of when something is A-ok to do. Is 16 old enough? For some states it's the age of consent and in general is the median of the world for age.

Is 18 about right?

It's not an easy answer.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I must admit:
I used to be hardcore anti-drug 2014 and before. After that, I simply decided to do some actual research on it and did the classic comparisons between it and other legalized drugs such as tabacco and alcohol and I really came to the conclusion on my own that this nearly universal "ban" on weed kinda didn't make sense on my book. I really started feeling like it was just illegal because the producers of drugs currently legalized would definitely not like it and the police even benefits from it being illegal through things like the Drug War. I do think if it should be legal.
I plan on getting a bong soon, but whether I'll actually use it for weed or not is still a mistery to me, to be honest.
What else can a bong be used for?

I mean I smoked straight tabacco out of mine. Gross I know..

Hey this is for everyone yeah don’t mix weed and tabacco. Fun new experience for the first few time getting the whole body buzz but after a while it changes the taste of weed. Also could put you in the hospital because unfiltered tabacco

Last edited:

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
I personally don't understand why so many people want weed to be legal. Hell I wouldn't care if cigarettes, alcohol and all drugs outside of medicinal use and cleaning(alcohol) were all illegal. I feel like the main reason people do it is because they hate life and need that to enjoy it or something. I feel like there are so many other things in life that are more fulfilling than these substances. There are plenty of sources of positive dopamine out there that also increases growth as a person such as working out and achieving goals. There is also sex which creates a lot of dopamine and with a good relationship and a healthy partner, is the best source of dopamine naturally achieved. Anyway I've never done anything and I have lived a pretty nice life with a great family. I find life pretty exciting I don't get the hype.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I personally don't understand why so many people want weed to be legal. Hell I wouldn't care if cigarettes, alcohol and all drugs outside of medicinal use and cleaning(alcohol) were all illegal. I feel like the main reason people do it is because they hate life and need that to enjoy it or something. I feel like there are so many other things in life that are more fulfilling than these substances. There are plenty of sources of positive dopamine out there that also increases growth as a person such as working out and achieving goals. There is also sex which creates a lot of dopamine and with a good relationship and a healthy partner, is the best source of dopamine naturally achieved. Anyway I've never done anything and I have lived a pretty nice life with a great family. I find life pretty exciting I don't get the hype.
A lot of pro legal advocates are looking at the medicinal aspect which is for many a positive relief from chronic pain, digestive issues (ie cancer patients' loss of appetite), tremors and other CNS diseases, epilepsy, etc... Note that the ingredient in use for these applications is CBD, which does not have the psychotropic effect. That's THC, and of course there's no real medicinal purpose to using that as it's really just to get high. So when trying to understand the need for legalization it's really looking at it from 2 sides, medicinal (non addictive, non psychotropic) and recreational.

As for your broader point... Again we look at this from 2 sides.. Adults and minors. Minors are impressionable and tend to be drawn to experimentation. Peer pressure fans the flames and can lead to abuse of these narcotics or alcohol at an early developmental age further leading to poor grades, criminal acts, etc.

Adults while not immune to these dangers have at least a fully developed mind and body. But again the dangers of addiction abuse or criminal behavior are still very real.

So why do it? Well... Humans as you've pointed out benefit from activities that are relaxing. Sure sex and exercise are awesome. In fact I'd say your model for living is ideal. But it's also well documented that a glass of wine with dinner is a good thing and it's culturally significant in many parts of the world. Tobacco is bad for sure. But I think the more important take away is that moderation is key.

LucarioOfLegends

Smash Rookie
Marijuana is something I genuinely don't think should be illegal. The state I am in does sell it psuedo commercially, but has some pretty strict rules on how much one can grow at a time and it is still considered a felony if you are caught having too much of it. All of these places don't really sell it for recreation, as it seems to be more medicinal where I live. It's helped the state boatloads economically, and the identification I imagine is pretty strict ( haven't bought any myself cause I'm a clean boy) so it would be quite difficult for an adolescent to get their hands on some. And even though there are loopholes, these kind of loopholes also exist for other addictive substances. Biggest argument I've seen that's decent is that its a gateway drug, which still can totally apply for prescriptions but weed seems to have been labeled as such by many places. Legalize it personally, although slowly through state legislation so it can become less opposed over time.

18 may be a little young, would personally prefer 21 a la alcohol.

InfiniteRE

Smash Cadet
It became legal in my state of michigan recently, and I am a consumer myself and still hate the fact that it went legal. Before it became legal we needed to have a med card, and I would go all the time to get some good stuff. Now since it became legal, they shut down all of the dispensaries, put huge restrictions and skyrocketed there prices. Now dispensaries are terrible, weed is less accessible than ever, and they turn into a DUI charge when under the influence, which is highlighted even more now. I know every state is different, just wanted to get my two cents out and say legalizing weed sometimes isn't all fun and games.

edit: It is still reassuring to know my life won't be ruined now if I get caught with it, I guess thats the most important thing.

Last edited:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
It became legal in my state of michigan recently, and I am a consumer myself and still hate the fact that it went legal. Before it became legal we needed to have a med card, and I would go all the time to get some good stuff. Now since it became legal, they shut down all of the dispensaries, put huge restrictions and skyrocketed there prices. Now dispensaries are terrible, weed is less accessible than ever, and they turn into a DUI charge when under the influence, which is highlighted even more now. I know every state is different, just wanted to get my two cents out and say legalizing weed sometimes isn't all fun and games.

edit: It is still reassuring to know my life won't be ruined now if I get caught with it, I guess thats the most important thing.

Wait, what?

I get complaining about prices, but weed use should always have been a DUI charge after smoking. You're still endangering both yourself and others around you when you drive high.

There's no excuse for driving drunk or high in my book. However, I do think that they need to vastly improve testing methods to ensure that you smoked in the past few hours rather than last week.

D

Deleted member

I wish that I could share my thoughts about the theme... But I am a weird case and the way I see it is probably different than how others on this site do so.

Since I have hyperactivity and require medication regarding it, my doctors deny me from drinking any kind of alcohol and/or smoking weed, drugs or tobacco. If I did so I could get in a comma in the worst case scenario, so they are awful in my case.

Basically: They are awful and I must not try any of them. But in regards to everyone in general I can’t say a point that most would fine acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
It's not related to Smash Bros in any way.
This site has an entire section of boards for general, unrelated-to-Smash discussion. This includes video games, debate, anything really. Heck, I used to mod the Pool Room, the most general of the boards.

Ouch, JD. I know a few people like that. It's unfortunate that medication stacks up like that.

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
This site has an entire section of boards for general, unrelated-to-Smash discussion. This includes video games, debate, anything really. Heck, I used to mod the Pool Room, the most general of the boards.

Ouch, JD. I know a few people like that. It's unfortunate that medication stacks up like that.
Used to? What happened to your mod position?

D

Deleted member

It’s alright.
Many people told me that I don’t miss much by not smoking weed or marihuana.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Used to? What happened to your mod position?

Mainly I became inactive and more or less stepped down. I kinda drifted from online communities in general for a while.

Sounds good, JDC. Weed is good for those it's good for, but being without it is fine too.

Edit: Also, Weed and Marihuana are the same thing, btw.

Last edited:

InfiniteRE

Smash Cadet
Wait, what?

I get complaining about prices, but weed use should always have been a DUI charge after smoking. You're still endangering both yourself and others around you when you drive high.

There's no excuse for driving drunk or high in my book. However, I do think that they need to vastly improve testing methods to ensure that you smoked in the past few hours rather than last week.
I get the bigger picture, but I'm looking at it from my own perspective. Driving while high is a lot different than driving while drunk. I know not everybody will have the same tolerance as I do, but here is what I don't want: Getting pulled over for something completely unrelated to me smoking marijuana and getting a DUI for it. That can be for a busted tail light, etc. Unless your a complete rookie, I think you should be able to drive high fine, if not than I think people have other problems. I've been doing it for over 8 years and never even had a ticket, even on the job.

I don't want this to come across as unethical and it is my opinion, but if your driving isn't affected than you should not get in trouble for smoking it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
They definitely need better tests. Field saliva tests aren't the best for determining so naturally field sobriety tests would establish DWI but even those tests contain bias. The whole smoking population in America can't be expected to stop driving either so it's a judgment call which is why the age restrictions are in place.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Completely agreed; current tests are heavily flawed and are in need of dire improvement. I just see driving while inebriated to be inherently unethical.
It's definitely what I'd call bad judgment. Whether that judgment comes from being 21 or not remains to be seen but statistical stuff is lame just don't do it and you won't be a party to any dwi related outcomes.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Alcohol is a million times worse than weed, it makes no sense why weed is illegal. Weed is also classified under the same criteria as heroin, which is one of the biggest jokes in America.

Top Bottom