• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Toon Link bad?

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I just can't put my finger on why Toon Link is bad. The CT Tier List put him at the very bottom but why if Lunchables has been wrecking shop with him? I'd prefer a pros and cons type answer to see if he's worth picking up since I really liked Brawl Toon Link.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
I think it has to do with how difficult he is to learn. So few players use TLink, and even fewer win tournaments while using him. Tier lists are made using tournament victories as a measurement of character viability, and the scene is still young. When Toon Link starts winning more tournaments, his place on the tier list will rise.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Basing whether or not a character is good based on the sole performance of a good player(s) isn't really a good idea. Neither is making a tier list based on an unfinished game but it's too late for that. Anyway, Tink really isn't bottom of the barrel in this game and while he does have flaws he's got some good stuff going for him. Here's a PERSONAL LIST of things I like about Tink myself

Pros:
Small and fast, always a nice combination
Solid combo game on a variety of weights
Strong kill moves
Good projectile game
A SWORD
Good throws

Cons:
Has a hard time standing his ground against people with strong/fast Neutral games
Recovery path ends up being predictable even WITH bomb jumps
A short UpB makes even Meteors pesky
Tethers are good in some cases and bad in others

I'd wait for some more opinions on him, but I personally have always found Tink to be a fun, solid character. He's not the best but I'm surprised people still underrate him, haha. I'd totes recommend him!

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
It's because his recovery is absolutely terrible. He falls way too fast and his tether sucks, and he has a very hard time zoning imo.

If Toon Link was made floatier (Mario level) then he'd be 200x better.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
That is the secret. Toon Link is good but as XGSshadowstar said he is not easy to play. Especially when contrasted to Link. It is mainly Tink players that seem to think he is good though.

fennel69

Smash Cadet
TLink is easier to use than Fox, the important is tournament results. Melee players already know how to play Fox so we saw a lot of Fox; but IMO Fox & Falco doesn't deserve to be top tier on PM.

S3OL

Smash Rookie
NNID
S3OL-001
I'm probably classed as a casual player and this comment of mine will be disregarded for sure but I do think that TLink is a great character. Especially his down tilt.

I'm not into tiers and categorizing characters although those are important.

KunchieMunchie

Smash Cadet
Toon Link is in the same situation as Pikachu. Just because he isn't easy to use or doesn't have some cheap gimmic, people just assume he is bad.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I'm probably classed as a casual player and this comment of mine will be disregarded for sure but I do think that TLink is a great character. Especially his down tilt.

I'm not into tiers and categorizing characters although those are important.
I actually kinda dislike his lingering moves like d tilt, up air and dash attack and even down throw to dair seems harder to set up or maybe even less powerful. I just get punished so hard. Toon Link's moves in general are bit too laggy to be useful( looking at you f smash ). Link's attacks may be laggier but the bigger hitbox and greater set up/combo potential make up for it. Link also has way better projectiles. So yeah this is the disregard you were talking about.

S3OL

Smash Rookie
NNID
S3OL-001
I actually kinda dislike his lingering moves like d tilt, up air and dash attack and even down throw to dair seems harder to set up or maybe even less powerful. I just get punished so hard. Toon Link's moves in general are bit too laggy to be useful( looking at you f smash ). Link's attacks may be laggier but the bigger hitbox and greater set up/combo potential make up for it. Link also has way better projectiles. So yeah this is the disregard you were talking about.

I hope all of that is somewhat remedied in SM4SH then. I do understand what you mean though.

B.W.

Smash Champion
D-Tilt is lingering?

Also F-Smash is amazing. Combos from D-Throw, great for punishing bad ledge hops and bad techs.

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
Personally I find that the CT tier list for PM is terrible. having them put G&W, Gannon and toon link at the bottom.
I find that they're great characters if you play them correctly. same can be said about every character in PM though. because no character is really "bad" so because of that I find that toon link is a great character, but so is everyone else.

It really just comes down to the matchup and if you like it or not.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Personally I find that the CT tier list for PM is terrible. having them put G&W, Gannon and toon link at the bottom.
I find that they're great characters if you play them correctly. same can be said about every character in PM though. because no character is really "bad" so because of that I find that toon link is a great character, but so is everyone else.

It really just comes down to the matchup and if you like it or not.
I think Toon Link is barely upper mid tier or middle of the road. Because so many characters are good, you have to rank them relative to each other. Characters are ranked higher or lower because one is very slightly better than the other.I agree with M2K that Sonic, Link, Mewtwo, Pit, Lucas, and Diddy in no order are the best characters. Any weakness they have is completely mitigated by their strengths. MK, Zelda, Ness, Mario, Wolf, Snake, Fox and a couple more are the balanced A tiers. As for the worst...

Jigglypuff is by far the worst. She literally has no good MUs, she is super easy to kill, her neutral game is one move, her moves are weak but can't combo, rest is broken and only considered balanced because its on a bad character, she is easy outranged, she can't gimp nearly as easily as she could in Melee, rest is hard to hit a against an at least decent player, etc. It just goes on and on and on and ON. Rest is not a balanced move and is too good. But they can't remove it because Kirby is basically what Jigglypuff could have been w/o rest, which denies that option. Next update, they can't make resting easier because that would be broken. So improving Jigglypuff w/o making Rest better is gonna be a pain. That means no comboing. 3.5 is probably going to five slight buffs to some of her moves but that will barely help. Making her specials good would be very hard so Puff is basically the new Kirby.

Olimar is the only one who comes close but he has an excuse: he's from the latest version! Same thing happened with Yoshi and Ice Climbers. They are hard to program! As long as they patch his holes and give him a batch of small buffs, he should be OK.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Just because most of the new characters have better recoveries than melee top tiers doesn't mean that Jigglypuff suddenly doesn't have her good matchups from melee. She's still good against Peach, Sheik, Marth, and Falcon, and she's going to regain a lot of what she lost in the next update in a couple months due to shorter recoveries. She's not entirely useless.

Olimar and ICs have some minor bugs, but are very far from bad characters. Yoshi is a totally badass character, even without parrying. He can still parry grabs, too!

That all said, this is the Tink forum, not the underdog character forum. Tink is a badass. I think he's top 15 material as of right now. Here's my breakdown of the character:

Code:
F Smash is for hard reads or can be combod out of  D Throw.
U Smash comes out quick and sets up for aerial followups.
D Smash is pretty similar to ICs' D Smash i.e. it's awesome for on-stage edge guarding.

F Tilt is kinda slow, but it's an okay mixup to U Tilt or D Tilt.
U Tilt is great for setting up juggles and combos into itself at low percents.
D Tilt is great for setting up kill moves and can be combod out of easily. When sweet spotted it's also a meteor.

Jab One has basically no knockback and very early IASA frames.
Jab Two has basically no knockback and very early IASA frames.
Jab Three is laggy and has mediocre knockback. Instead cancel Jab Two into Grab, WD back, D Tilt, &c.
Dash Attack is a solid semi-spike with considerable range, but is very laggy. Some like to use it, but personally I don't.

Standing Grab has great range and isn't too laggy.
Dash Grab is bad and slow. Jump Cancel it.
Pivot Grab is good for reads, but is otherwise as slow as Dash Grab.
Pummel hurts the enemy! Don't forget to Pummel!

F Throw is a low percent chain grab and a DI trap if the other guy DIs for D Throw.
B Throw is okay if you're throwing them over the ledge. Both of these throws can set up for Jab Jab D Tilt at the ledge.
U Throw is good for low percent set ups, but I find it to be inferior to D Throw most of the time.
D Throw is known by nearly all players. Toon Link gets a free hard punish on basically any character at any percent.

Grounded F Spec is okay.
          You're usually better off using it in the air. Use it to approach.
Grounded U Spec is an excellent OoS option.
         Aerial U Spec is one of Toon Link's primary kill moves.
Grounded D Spec is bad and slow.
         Always short hop to pull bombs. You can get a free punish if it hits.
Grounded N Spec is okay.
         You're usually better off using it in the air or as you land to shoot instant arrows.

F Air is an excellent kill move.
B Air is a high percent kill move, but is more frequently used to juggle.
U Air is an excellent kill move, and it can be used to juggle.
D Air is an excellent kill move, and it contains the Fire Spike which can lead to early kills on unsuspecting opponents.
N Air is basically Fox's N Air. It's a sex kick; it's good when SHFFLd.
Z Air is a great approach or keep away tool, and it can be used out of air dodge, making air dodge much less punishable.

Running is an acceptable mode of transport.
Wave Dashing has great defensive and combo use. Don't forget to RAR WD to steal the ledge.

Tether recovery has great distance and speed.
Wall Jumps are amazing.
AGT is a godsend.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Just because most of the new characters have better recoveries than melee top tiers doesn't mean that Jigglypuff suddenly doesn't have her good matchups from melee. She's still good against Peach, Sheik, Marth, and Falcon, and she's going to regain a lot of what she lost in the next update in a couple months due to shorter recoveries. She's not entirely useless.

Olimar and ICs have some minor bugs, but are very far from bad characters. Yoshi is a totally badass character, even without parrying. He can still parry grabs, too!

That all said, this is the Tink forum, not the underdog character forum. Tink is a badass. I think he's top 15 material as of right now. Here's my breakdown of the character:

Code:
F Smash is for hard reads or can be combod out of  D Throw.
U Smash comes out quick and sets up for aerial followups.
D Smash is pretty similar to ICs' D Smash i.e. it's awesome for on-stage edge guarding.

F Tilt is kinda slow, but it's an okay mixup to U Tilt or D Tilt.
U Tilt is great for setting up juggles and combos into itself at low percents.
D Tilt is great for setting up kill moves and can be combod out of easily. When sweet spotted it's also a meteor.

Jab One has basically no knockback and very early IASA frames.
Jab Two has basically no knockback and very early IASA frames.
Jab Three is laggy and has mediocre knockback. Instead cancel Jab Two into Grab, WD back, D Tilt, &c.
Dash Attack is a solid semi-spike with considerable range, but is very laggy. Some like to use it, but personally I don't.

Standing Grab has great range and isn't too laggy.
Dash Grab is bad and slow. Jump Cancel it.
Pivot Grab is good for reads, but is otherwise as slow as Dash Grab.
Pummel hurts the enemy! Don't forget to Pummel!

F Throw is a low percent chain grab and a DI trap if the other guy DIs for D Throw.
B Throw is okay if you're throwing them over the ledge. Both of these throws can set up for Jab Jab D Tilt at the ledge.
U Throw is good for low percent set ups, but I find it to be inferior to D Throw most of the time.
D Throw is known by nearly all players. Toon Link gets a free hard punish on basically any character at any percent.

Grounded F Spec is okay.
          You're usually better off using it in the air. Use it to approach.
Grounded U Spec is an excellent OoS option.
         Aerial U Spec is one of Toon Link's primary kill moves.
Grounded D Spec is bad and slow.
         Always short hop to pull bombs. You can get a free punish if it hits.
Grounded N Spec is okay.
         You're usually better off using it in the air or as you land to shoot instant arrows.

F Air is an excellent kill move.
B Air is a high percent kill move, but is more frequently used to juggle.
U Air is an excellent kill move, and it can be used to juggle.
D Air is an excellent kill move, and it contains the Fire Spike which can lead to early kills on unsuspecting opponents.
N Air is basically Fox's N Air. It's a sex kick; it's good when SHFFLd.
Z Air is a great approach or keep away tool, and it can be used out of air dodge, making air dodge much less punishable.

Running is an acceptable mode of transport.
Wave Dashing has great defensive and combo use. Don't forget to RAR WD to steal the ledge.

Tether recovery has great distance and speed.
Wall Jumps are amazing.
AGT is a godsend.
Top 15(in a very rough order)
- Sonic
- Lucas
- Mewtwo
- Diddy
- Pit
- Link
- Mario
- Fox
- MK
- Ness
- Wolf
- Snake
- Zelda
- Ike
- Dedede

Toon Link not better than those characters. You have to accept that while Toon Link is not bad, he is not godlike like some of these characters. He is probably top 25 or something.

Jigglypuff threads you should look at:
- http://smashboards.com/threads/puff-is-out-of-place.365341/#post-17419616
- http://smashboards.com/threads/working-on-a-guide-for-choosing-a-main-and-need-your-help.361558/

B.W.

Smash Champion
T. Link is better than Zelda though. And Dedede.

And probably Ike and Ness.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I just can't put my finger on why Toon Link is bad. The CT Tier List put him at the very bottom but why if Lunchables has been wrecking shop with him? I'd prefer a pros and cons type answer to see if he's worth picking up since I really liked Brawl Toon Link.
Well, I don't think toon link is a bad character. He's F##KING ANNOYING!!!!

But in all seriousness, he can put those bombs to work.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
T. Link is better than Zelda though. And Dedede.

And probably Ike and Ness.
If you really believe that, it's because you don't know anything about those characters. Zelda is easily the best defensive character, with strong punishes, great range, a new and improved Din's Fire, an easy escape through up b, and peels off characters like a mango with Nayru's Love. Watch Zhime to know what I mean. The fact that you think Dedede is not good just makes me really mad. I'm not even gonna bother. You just lost so much credibility on your opinions. Ness is very underrated mostly because people are used to thinking Ness is low tier and the changes don't really make him stand out like Ivysaur or Lucas. PK Fire is crazy good and it leads to crazy grab combos or an f smash kill. His movement is fantastic and his power is surprising. Watch Austin. Ike is clearly good and I don't want to say anymore. Ally is the best Ike.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
you dun goofed by taking the CT tier list seriously

that list was terrible
It wasn't just that tier list. I think Toon Link's very solid and underrated. Lunchables should've shown them what Tink can do. That guy is a beast! He will eat your babies with salt! People need to stop judging characters even though they barely know them.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I seriously believe that because I play a good Ness player on the regular and I used to play a great Zelda player before he switched to Lucas.

T.Link is better than these characters because he has a neutral game while these characters honestly do not.

Also I never said Dedede was bad. T.Link is just better. I can't say Dedede is bad when I have a player like Ripple showing up and winning at our weeklies.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I feel like the only reason up-B has such terrible vertical range is because it's a kill move.

Why not make it so you can mash B to increase vertical range (double? 1.5x? something reasonable) in exchange for progressively weakening kill power? Or would that make recovery way too good?

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Recovery is already fine. Toon Link is a combo oriented character, so he doesn't need crazy recovery.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I seriously believe that because I play a good Ness player on the regular and I used to play a great Zelda player before he switched to Lucas.

T.Link is better than these characters because he has a neutral game while these characters honestly do not.

Also I never said Dedede was bad. T.Link is just better. I can't say Dedede is bad when I have a player like Ripple showing up and winning at our weeklies.
Are kidding? Zelda is basically only a neutral game! She also has more power, better recovery, arguably better projectiles, and can't be combo'd to death like Toon Link. I don't think there is any Ness player who comes close to being as good as Awestin so it would be hard to judge that one. I got mad with Dedede cause for some reason, a local Dedede player beats me when I'm Toon Link. I'm no Jolteon but I like to play a defensive bait and punish. I just can't see Dedede being worse than Tink.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I think Zelda is better than Toon Link but both are underrated characters. I think Zelda is top 15 and Tink just outside that. Tink is more solid a character than Zelda, but I got a high regard for Zelda's brand of cheese.

D

Deleted member

Tier Lists don't hold much weight. It's just a group of people voting on who they think is competitively viable in relation to other characters. If you can personally do well with that character, or if you just enjoy playing him in general, what's stopping you?

I find good Toon Link mains in P:M to be very difficult to play against. Sure, his recovery issue hurts him, but the rest of his kit seems pretty solid to me.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
The tier list depended on players actually playing, and if played, their wins/losses. Toon Link isn't bad, he's just hard to play. I've seen people stay in the air infinitely using bombs, at the cost of damage if course. What's scary about this, is that is raises him up.

That's basically infinite vertical recovery. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
you're right

agt means infinite recovery

if m2k picket tink up, I expect he would agt stall off stage

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DDD is not better than TL because DDD has an unwinnable MU and TL doesn't.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
ivysaur cannot be beaten with DDD.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
TL is a much more versatile character than link imo. link atm has tools that are able to specifically pick out a good portion of the cast that is based on zoning, since he does it better. but once someone gets inside and puts pressure on him, he has limited options to deal with it. he also doesnt have great pressure options himself outside of zoning. with tink, not only does he have like, the 3rd best SHFFL in the game, but attacks like fair, bair, and nair can easily be used safely on shield for direct pressure in conjunction with jabs. (fair is like -0 on shield, with bair being like -1 i think. somewhere in that ballpark). for OOS, TL also has his up b, his nair, and his bair. all quick options with realtively low punishability. up b can be punished if used to much, but its multi hit nature couple with the fact that you can move during it makes it difficult to do so. link doesnt quite have those options. TL i would argue also gets more of a reward from grabs. his up b killer is more reliable than links fair out of a grab.

in addition to his speed and mobility, and better OOS options, TL also has a better combo game than link. bombs, arrows, boomerang, uair, utilt, dtilt, BAIR especially, and even usmash on FFers, as opposed to links, dtilt, utilt, boomerang, and uair. TL has all the powerful tools of zoning that link has with his projectiles, but it just requires a bit more intelligent application of mobility, and more precision with setting up his optimal spacing distances. once youve become proficent with that though, his combos are more effective and he has an easier time linking to kills from his combos with not as much risk associated.

i really do agree that TL is not quite as developped yet, and hasnt been tested by the community as much as other characters have.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
TL is a much more versatile character than link imo. link atm has tools that are able to specifically pick out a good portion of the cast that is based on zoning, since he does it better. but once someone gets inside and puts pressure on him, he has limited options to deal with it. he also doesnt have great pressure options himself outside of zoning. with tink, not only does he have like, the 3rd best SHFFL in the game, but attacks like fair, bair, and nair can easily be used safely on shield for direct pressure in conjunction with jabs. (fair is like -0 on shield, with bair being like -1 i think. somewhere in that ballpark). for OOS, TL also has his up b, his nair, and his bair. all quick options with realtively low punishability. up b can be punished if used to much, but its multi hit nature couple with the fact that you can move during it makes it difficult to do so. link doesnt quite have those options. TL i would argue also gets more of a reward from grabs. his up b killer is more reliable than links fair out of a grab.

in addition to his speed and mobility, and better OOS options, TL also has a better combo game than link. bombs, arrows, boomerang, uair, utilt, dtilt, BAIR especially, and even usmash on FFers, as opposed to links, dtilt, utilt, boomerang, and uair. TL has all the powerful tools of zoning that link has with his projectiles, but it just requires a bit more intelligent application of mobility, and more precision with setting up his optimal spacing distances. once youve become proficent with that though, his combos are more effective and he has an easier time linking to kills from his combos with not as much risk associated.

i really do agree that TL is not quite as developped yet, and hasnt been tested by the community as much as other characters have.
Link's weakness is in the same position as Fox's in Melee: unexploitable if played perfectly except Link's weakness is much more mitigated. So much in fact, its barely a weakness, and it just goes to show you that most Links are bad. First of all, Link's gigantic range can easily space out any character, fast or not. And if Tink's up b OoS is effective, then Link's is deadly. It has gigantic almost unintuitive range and hitboxes and sends them amazing for gimping, which Link can do with his projectiles easily. And Link's grab and nair OoS are just as good as Tink's if not better. Tink's down throw to up b is hard compared to Link's down throw to dair. Toon Link's down throw to up b is DIable and not as reliable as people say while Link's down throw to dair is extremely hard to DI, practically guarenteed even with Link's crappy mobility, and stronger. Even just looking at matchups, Link has no counters and maybe one or two slight disadvantages: Falco and ZSS. Link's bad qualities such as his mobility do not affect his viability in any way. Link's combos are better than Tink's with things like dash attack or boomerang to anything. He has the tools to deal with anything and is better than Toon Link in nearly every way.

You clearly know nothing of Link so don't spread misinformation. You probably had all these delusions from playing Link wrong like most people. I wish some underdog Link would win a national already.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Link's Up-B OoS isn't better than T.Link's lol. When you do things OoS it's often times for safely getting out of shield. Yes, Link's kills, but it's also a single hit. Once it collides with a shield Link is free to be punished. T.Link has multiple hits, so it often shield pokes should people opt to shield it, and he can move around in it. I don't know how many times I've had people try to shield grab me and I'd have crossed them up. N-Air OoS is comparible really, but if we're really talking about who's N-Air is actually better the answer is T.Link. It's been better since Melee. Link's grab OoS is only better because the grab goes farther.

D-Throw is also comparible. Both characters have guaranteed kill setups with this throw. T.Link's D-Throw > Up-B is plenty reliable, but it's character and damage specific. If you can't hit with Up-B after D-Throw you're definitely able to hit with something else. Most of the time that something else is a guaranteed F-Smash, which is better than landing an aerial Up-B. Other times though it's a F-Air or D-Air, but that's usually only when the character is too light, too floaty, or has high damage so using these moves usually has the same effect as landing a Up-B or F-Smash anyway.

Link's bad mobility definitely effects his viability in a lot of matchups. Once you get into Link's bubble he's going to have trouble. He doesn't take pressure as well as T.Link (despite what you've been led to believe). Both characters have terrible rolls so they're not usually viable options of escape from pressure. T.Link however has a wavedash worth using, and it's very effective for escape and for punishing. when used OoS. Their combo ability is about the same, but T.Link's kit starts them better. Fire Arrows, boomerang, and especially bombs for T.Link is a ticket for T.Link to charge in and start a combo. Link's bombs can do the job at low damage, and boomerange all the time. Arrows knock people away but that's also fantastic for Link because it lets him gimp without endangering himself. Once they're in the combo though, Link certainly does have the easier time because his Dash Attack does all the work, but T.Link has U-Smash for a similar effect and his U-Air juggles last longer because of his mobility, and they convert into Up-B kills on a lot of the cast.

Link's tools are also really not unbeatable like you make them out to be either. Almost anyone can just go through his boomerang with some kind of lingering hitbox. Mario, Fox, T.Link, etc can literally all N-Air through it. Many can N-Air through an uncharged and partially charged arrow. Bombs can just be caught wavedashes and just be thrown back. All of this applies to T.Link as well, but his boomerang having much better angles as well as going farther and returning slower gives him a lot of stage presence. There's almost never a time where T.Link doesn't have at least two things to worry about on screen.

Also Link definitely unfavorable matchups. Falco, Mario, Fox, Mewtwo, Lucas, Meta Knight and maybe/maybe not Lucario are unfavorable for Link, then after that most of the others are closer to even than Link having a full advantage, save for some obvious matchups. And that's how T.Link has it too, just with different characters, and he probably has a more even matchup spread.

This post isn't being made to tell you you're wrong about Link though. Link is definitely a strong character, anyone who thinks otherwise is either delusional or hasn't seen or played against a good Link player. But you're definitely not giving T.Link the credit he deserves. He's a very good and highly viable character. The biggest difference between Link and T.Link is that Link doesn't take that much time to learn in comparison. T.Link takes a decent amount of time to get used to, as his setups aren't always immediately clear like Link's are and they vary a lot more from character to character.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Link's Up-B OoS isn't better than T.Link's lol. When you do things OoS it's often times for safely getting out of shield. Yes, Link's kills, but it's also a single hit. Once it collides with a shield Link is free to be punished. T.Link has multiple hits, so it often shield pokes should people opt to shield it, and he can move around in it. I don't know how many times I've had people try to shield grab me and I'd have crossed them up. N-Air OoS is comparible really, but if we're really talking about who's N-Air is actually better the answer is T.Link. It's been better since Melee. Link's grab OoS is only better because the grab goes farther.

D-Throw is also comparible. Both characters have guaranteed kill setups with this throw. T.Link's D-Throw > Up-B is plenty reliable, but it's character and damage specific. If you can't hit with Up-B after D-Throw you're definitely able to hit with something else. Most of the time that something else is a guaranteed F-Smash, which is better than landing an aerial Up-B. Other times though it's a F-Air or D-Air, but that's usually only when the character is too light, too floaty, or has high damage so using these moves usually has the same effect as landing a Up-B or F-Smash anyway.

Link's bad mobility definitely effects his viability in a lot of matchups. Once you get into Link's bubble he's going to have trouble. He doesn't take pressure as well as T.Link (despite what you've been led to believe). Both characters have terrible rolls so they're not usually viable options of escape from pressure. T.Link however has a wavedash worth using, and it's very effective for escape and for punishing. when used OoS. Their combo ability is about the same, but T.Link's kit starts them better. Fire Arrows, boomerang, and especially bombs for T.Link is a ticket for T.Link to charge in and start a combo. Link's bombs can do the job at low damage, and boomerange all the time. Arrows knock people away but that's also fantastic for Link because it lets him gimp without endangering himself. Once they're in the combo though, Link certainly does have the easier time because his Dash Attack does all the work, but T.Link has U-Smash for a similar effect and his U-Air juggles last longer because of his mobility, and they convert into Up-B kills on a lot of the cast.

Link's tools are also really not unbeatable like you make them out to be either. Almost anyone can just go through his boomerang with some kind of lingering hitbox. Mario, Fox, T.Link, etc can literally all N-Air through it. Many can N-Air through an uncharged and partially charged arrow. Bombs can just be caught wavedashes and just be thrown back. All of this applies to T.Link as well, but his boomerang having much better angles as well as going farther and returning slower gives him a lot of stage presence. There's almost never a time where T.Link doesn't have at least two things to worry about on screen.

Also Link definitely unfavorable matchups. Falco, Mario, Fox, Mewtwo, Lucas, Meta Knight and maybe/maybe not Lucario are unfavorable for Link, then after that most of the others are closer to even than Link having a full advantage, save for some obvious matchups. And that's how T.Link has it too, just with different characters, and he probably has a more even matchup spread.

This post isn't being made to tell you you're wrong about Link though. Link is definitely a strong character, anyone who thinks otherwise is either delusional or hasn't seen or played against a good Link player. But you're definitely not giving T.Link the credit he deserves. He's a very good and highly viable character. The biggest difference between Link and T.Link is that Link doesn't take that much time to learn in comparison. T.Link takes a decent amount of time to get used to, as his setups aren't always immediately clear like Link's are and they vary a lot more from character to character.
Fine. OK. Tink's OoS is sligjtly better.I'll give you that one, but I think the whole weak-if-you-burst-his-bubble thing is still not a big weakness, and more like a thing that keeps him from being an indestructable god like Pit and Mewtwo. Look at Captain Falcon. No projectiles, no gimmicks, no godlike OoS options: just fundementals and a knee, yet, just by playing good, I've never had much problems with pressure and to a lesser extent, combos. I believe with proper DI and perfect execution of options and spacing, you will never truly see this "weakness" come into play. And how exactly is Tink's nair better?

I already went over this. Doesn't matter if he's at 200%, down throw to dair will work perfectly.

I've never thought of rolls as a good option with any character. Easy as hell to read. Link isn't Puff: his wavedash is longer than Falco's too ( but don't quote me on that lol [ and Falco's wavedash OoS is great ] ). And it's slightly shorter distance and longer grab means that he'll be able to grab opponents who are spacing their pressure. Tink's combos may last longer, but his slower projectiles don't generate opportunities for punishes as well as Link's does which goes with what you say next.

Link's projectiles are fast, and he's not as slow as people make him out to be. If you nair through his boomerang, he'll throw another one or just run up and punish you. You grab his bomb, same thing. His projectiles could be used during a combo or as an extra hit after your finisher. And because they are faster, they may end up being the reason whu Link's combos are better. Heck, a returning boomerang let's you autocombo like nobody's buisness and I still want to see someone use AGT for more than recovery and walling. And Link doesn't even need combos! He can just cover options and wall with his projectiles and sword. And Link's boomerang is toxic broken btw. Just saying lol

Falco gets gimped earlier than 6 and you can get through his lasers and just destroy him with autocombos. They both hardcore destroy each other, but Falco's main advantage is his lasers. Mario's kryptonite is swords, and Link's range rivals Marth's. Also projectiles make Mario less sure about stalling with his side and down b during recovery. Fox is same with Falco except no lasers. IDK how you thought about M2, they don't really have an advantage over each other. Now that I think about it, Lucas is probably a slight disadvantage but nothing more. As a Meta Knight main, Link is definetly one of my worst matchups. No matter how hard I try, that ****ing boomerang lol Oh and there's no chance Tink has a better matchup spread.

I had Tink as the 16th or 18th best character on my latest tier list so if I sounded like I wasn't giving credit, I'm sorry. Everything's relative, especially in PM. People who don't understand that are the people who say their low tier is mid tier because they are used to other games or just really stubborn.
@ B.W. B.W. now you can respond. Accidentally posted when I wasn't finished writinwriting

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
saying that bad mobility doesnt affect viability sort of goes against everything in the melee based engine..

links definitely a great character, but it IS apparent that he doesnt handle pressure well. his boomerang is good, but its not god. a quick character with a good WD OOS, good mobility on the ground, and an approach option that can eat through the rang will be able to navigate his maze of projectiles and invade his space easily. tinks rang might be slower, but his greater mobility and quicker options up close make up for that. its also out for longer, goes farther, has wayy more angles, and i think might be a bit bigger too.

links range also might rival some of the other sword characters, but it doesnt quite beat it. he still cant outrange marths ftilt and fsmash, and he cant outrange roys ftilt, nor does he have the speed or OOS options to deal with their pressure.

this being said, its no doubt the links projectiles from neutral, specifically his quicker boomerang, create a different dynamic from neutral that gives many trouble. but once you get past neutral, it goes downhill for link relative to toon link, and its not like TL has trouble in neutral by any means. theres obviously MUs where the superior range and speed of the boomerang of link makes for a better MU than what toon link might have. but i think link also has more MUs that are more difficult than TLs would be because of his slower pace up close, and lack of good mobility. in the end, i think theyre both up there, and im not going to jump to conclusion about whos better, but i think its not out of the realm of possibility at all that TL could be potentially surpass link with the transition to 3.5. recovery nerfs across the board being the main one that would come into play here.

Top Bottom