• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Roy High Tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
Shouldn't he be with Marth and Lucina? He is Marth but better up close. His aerials are worse than Marth's and his recovery is worse but his grab and ground attacks are better. So why?

Edit: His neutral B is also useless unless on broken shields.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Simply put, his tools are better. He's got kill moves all around, kill setups, is a lot faster, and has a lot better combos and conversions off throws than Marcina do. He can also pretty much kill more easily than Marth at times because his sword has 3 hitboxes, 2 of them which are sweetspots and the 3rd is the sourspot (tip), and they're a lot easier to land than Marth's.

In addition, Roy's recovery is actually better because he can angle his up B, meaning his horizontal recovery is better. Roy also has ridiculously good OoS options with Up B and Usmash. Up B having some super armour on startup (forgot the frames exactly but its somewhere around between 4 to frame 12), and Usmash being able to scoop targets up and killing very early.

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
Simply put, his tools are better. He's got kill moves all around, kill setups, is a lot faster, and has a lot better combos and conversions off throws than Marcina do. He can also pretty much kill more easily than Marth at times because his sword has 3 hitboxes, 2 of them which are sweetspots and the 3rd is the sourspot (tip), and they're a lot easier to land than Marth's.

In addition, Roy's recovery is actually better because he can angle his up B, meaning his horizontal recovery is better. Roy also has ridiculously good OoS options with Up B and Usmash. Up B having some super armour on startup (forgot the frames exactly but its somewhere around between 4 to frame 12), and Usmash being able to scoop targets up and killing very early.
Can't Marcina Neutral B for better horizontal recovery? Also there isn't a big speed difference between Roy and Marcina. But I get what you are talking about. I understand now thank you.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Can't Marcina Neutral B for better horizontal recovery? Also there isn't a big speed difference between Roy and Marcina. But I get what you are talking about. I understand now thank you.
They can, but it doesn't ledge cancel (they wont grab the ledge by using it) and the boost in momentum is really small if its not fully charged.. and if it takes a while to charge.

Also, Roy's neutral b isn't useless. Can be used for mixups with b reversals and it has extremely little lag so it's pretty damn good. I use it to edgeguard sometimes.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Use Neutral B offstage. I know it looks scary but it's awesome for off stage pressure and easy KO's when they're forced to recover directly. It's got minimal end lag for a reason.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Use Neutral B offstage. I know it looks scary but it's awesome for off stage pressure and easy KO's when they're forced to recover directly. It's got minimal end lag for a reason.
Yeah, that's what I meant by saying I use it to edgeguard. It has like no lag and you can make it back. Great mixup.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, that's what I meant by saying I use it to edgeguard. It has like no lag and you can make it back. Great mixup.
Ah didn't even realize. It's just a harder version of Ike's Eruption but with practice it's just as deadly. Probably even scarier considering you can kind of chase them off stage with it.

shotgunraptorjesus

Smash Rookie

So... I agree with most of what you're saying, and I definitely agree that :4feroy: > :4marth::4lucina:, but what kill setups does Roy have? I don't think he can actually combo into kill moves, which is I guess offset by Roy having fast kill moves out the ass. I know he has some good airdodge baits but I can't think of any kill combos he has.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
So... I agree with most of what you're saying, and I definitely agree that :4feroy: > :4marth::4lucina:, but what kill setups does Roy have? I don't think he can actually combo into kill moves, which is I guess offset by Roy having fast kill moves out the ***. I know he has some good airdodge baits but I can't think of any kill combos he has.
jab > fair, jab > up b, up b oos are the best ones that come to mind.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Dtilt > Dash attack is also kill setup if your opponent misses the tech.

Roy has lots of kill options but not many actual kill setups, most of your kills with Roy will come off of airdodge/roll reads.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Also..lol@Roy killing better then Marth, when Savior-Emperor has hit confirms into tipper f-smash.

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
Also..lol@Roy killing better then Marth, when Savior-Emperor has hit confirms into tipper f-smash.
Nobody said anything about Roy being able to kill earlier than Marth. It is just that Roy can kill more easily.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
fail list is fail and yes someone mentioned Roy had kill set-ups which implied Marth does not. He does. And they are real combos.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
For me he has a better recovery then marcina and stronger attacks up close

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Isn't reddit pretty much like eventhubs tier list? (serious question, i heard a lot of people bashing on reddit on this stuff)

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Isn't reddit pretty much like eventhubs tier list? (serious question, i heard a lot of people bashing on reddit on this stuff)
Reddit's tier list is a lot more accurate than eventhubs at least... still not the best however.

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
Roy's sour spot up-air and the first hit of ff n-air into the ground true combos into up tilt to ko at around 130% and above,to name one ko set up

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
What about Roy's aerial attacks besides nair they all suck.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
What about Roy's aerial attacks besides nair they all suck.
Uair is a pretty good juggling move, and fair and bair are good killing moves. Dair is eh but imo its not bad

i dont think roy has any overly bad moves tbh

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Roy-s aerial moves besides N-air aren't magnifecent, but they're not bad, U-air is good for juggling, also a good move to do after F-air in low %, B-air is nice for edge guarding because of all the area it covers

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
I would class Roy mid-tier/highish, just higher then both Marth & Lucina. His lack of approach options severly hurts his placement, but he has a lot of quick almost lagless moves and kill options. Up-tilt kills and covers great space.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Roy has one of the safest most abusable approach options in the game.

Not knowing this how can you say how good he is or is not?

Last edited:

GenG

Smash Lord
Roy's other air moves are not so great... because they are situational and you won't be using them as much. Nair is so good for approaches that the other air moves are naturally balanced out by his falling speed and limited air time. Fair for combos, Bair for combos/finishers, Uair for juggles at ground-level, and you may never see a dair in a good Roy. I think his attack are nicely balanced because he is primarily a ground-based character with really fast and strong killing options, so it encourages you to KO people with usmash/fsmash/upB by mixing them up and reading airdodges.

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Personally I think he is high mid if not high tier for the tools listed by various people above. But this is not a reason to not play Roy or even make excuses for/against him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Did you just say something blatantly false?

Plz stop. Nair is perfectly safe on shield when he fast falls. He cannot be punished guaranteed. Now if you roll after the Nair and your opponent GUESSES your roll correctly yeah they can hit you. But thats different then blocking a Falcon Punch from CF and getting a free kill on him.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
And that would be Nair ? Nair isn't safe on shield, it's decent at best as an approach option. It's a godlike punisher when coupled to Roy's mobility though.
Fast falling and connecting with the end of Roy's blade is safe on shield, just practice the spacing and you won't be punished.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You guys have no idea how this game works do you ?

With Nair on shield you have two choices :
1-hit with the sweetspot that deals 8%, with 13 frames of landing lag the move is at best -9 on shield, meanging anyone besides Samus can shield grab you
2-hit with the sourspot that deals 5%, still with 13 frames of landing lag and you get something that's more or less -13 adv on shield, meaning most characters can shield drop and dash grab you

Just because you don't get punished doesn't mean it's safe. Give people time to learn the matchup and drop your bad habits before they catch up.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Um no? Tipper nair when its perfect is -7 on shield. But since its spaced no one is grabbing you.

Its only -13 on his sweetspot hit and you are only getting grabbed by non-tethers if your spacing is so bad that Roy was essentially point blank when he landed because his sweetspots give him decent block pushback.

So...do YOU know how the game works sir?

Yes video games come down to numbers in the end, but frame data is only ONE set of numbers.

Here is the data set I used for his advantage btw

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wju2Vq5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit#gid=1666777880

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Um no? Tipper nair when its perfect is -7 on shield. But since its spaced no one is grabbing you.

Its only -13 on his sweetspot hit and you are only getting grabbed by non-tethers if your spacing is so bad that Roy was essentially point blank when he landed because his sweetspots give him decent block pushback.

So...do YOU know how the game works sir?

Yes video games come down to numbers in the end, but frame data is only ONE set of numbers.

Here is the data set I used for his advantage btw

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wju2Vq5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit#gid=1666777880
Thank you

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
A tipped N-air is safe on shield, now if you N-air fast fall right in front of them it's another story, still tethers have really slow start up, none will get you as far as my experience goes

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Roy has better options then Mars and Lucina. He has better kill power, is fast and has great combo set ups. He kills earlier then Mars because he has to get in close to get the most of his power, and because he has to hit with the base of his blade, He pretty much always gets the sweet spot he needs. He also has good D-throw combos and a good dash attack with a strong counter as well.

His recovery is better then Mars because it can be angled and has super armor. Roy also has pretty good defense, so he can't die early really.

You can forward smash directly after using blazer to trick opponents into dashing directly into a based Fsmash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom