• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Roy High Tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
He is Marth but better up close.
[collapse=reaction.gif]
[/collapse]

Have you even played? They've got similar movesets for sure but they play basically completely differently. well... Just watch this video, which I even think favors Marth a little more than it should. Roy is a monster in this game

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Roy has better options then Mars and Lucina. He has better kill power, is fast and has great combo set ups. He kills earlier then Mars because he has to get in close to get the most of his power, and because he has to hit with the base of his blade, He pretty much always gets the sweet spot he needs. He also has good D-throw combos and a good dash attack with a strong counter as well.

His recovery is better then Mars because it can be angled and has super armor. Roy also has pretty good defense, so he can't die early really.

You can forward smash directly after using blazer to trick opponents into dashing directly into a based Fsmash.
I also main Marth and I can tell you that Roy has kill options but not many actual kill setups, Marth on the other hand has jab1 > Fsmash that alone outclasses any of Roy's kill setups.

Roy's Blazer does not have super armor when used in the air, his defense is also worse than Marth's since he's a fastfaller meaning he gets juggled worse than Marth and has a harder time landing.

I'm assuming you mean Flare blade not Blazer to bait an approach into Fsmash but I'm sure most people realize Roy can act quickly after FB at this point.

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
Nair actually combo after Fthrow on almost every percent, and can be followed by Nair/Fair at lower percents.
If You catch youre oponent in The air. You can do S-Hop Fair into Fair/Up-b/Dancing Blade.
Só I dont really think u can say his aerials are bad, They are actually better then Math's in my opinion. (All true combos)

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I also think Bair, Fair, and Up Air are equally important as Nair. Maybe not as combo starters but as spacing and killing options. Especially with the IASA on Fair it makes it a great option. Another option overlooked is b reversed and wavebouncing Neutral B. Great movement and also nice switch up to catch opponent off guard.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Mostly because Roy has a very good neutral game and ledge game. His ledge guarding is very good. I'm not talking about offstage gameplay, but covering getup options. With dtilt, jab, nair, and fair you can cover every option. If you play smart at the ledge it can be really hard for your opponent to get footing. Roy also has good kill setups that lead into grounded blazers and so forth. Again, his main strengths are his neutral game, he's got lots of safe on shield moves and good grab followups. Those are the two most important traits in this game.

Raijinken

Smash Master
He just feels better to many people because he's a faster faller. Marth, meanwhile, floats gracefully like a butterfly, removing my ability to play him properly any more. I jump between the two as I feel. Lucina doesn't exist except as a Cherche costume that punishes my stats.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
I also main Marth and I can tell you that Roy has kill options but not many actual kill setups, Marth on the other hand has jab1 > Fsmash that alone outclasses any of Roy's kill setups.

Roy's Blazer does not have super armor when used in the air, his defense is also worse than Marth's since he's a fastfaller meaning he gets juggled worse than Marth and has a harder time landing.

I'm assuming you mean Flare blade not Blazer to bait an approach into Fsmash but I'm sure most people realize Roy can act quickly after FB at this point.
Flare blade. My bad.

But when I say defense, I mean launch status.

GenG

Smash Lord
Mostly because Roy has a very good neutral game and ledge game. His ledge guarding is very good. I'm not talking about offstage gameplay, but covering getup options. With dtilt, jab, nair, and fair you can cover every option. If you play smart at the ledge it can be really hard for your opponent to get footing. Roy also has good kill setups that lead into grounded blazers and so forth. Again, his main strengths are his neutral game, he's got lots of safe on shield moves and good grab followups. Those are the two most important traits in this game.
And don't forget pivot fSmash for covering rolls to the stage. This has to be my favourite thing.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I can't explain to you why he's high tier for one simple reason.

He isn't.

At least I'm pretty sure he isn't unless we're going by Eventhubs now.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I can't explain to you why he's high tier for one simple reason.

He isn't.

At least I'm pretty sure he isn't unless we're going by Eventhubs now.
I haven't seen any examples which even hint at the fact that Roy isn't at least as good as Captain Falcon and others in that area, which is commonly known as the lower to mid range of high tier.

Pherae77

Smash Cadet
You can jump out of that. Roy has jab into fsmash as well. Roy also has falling upairs into blazer, f-tilt, and more which are all kill moves. Roy also has down throw into fsmash if you condition them to airdodge. As well as down throw to blazer. He also has jab to upsmash if they don't jump. And more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom