• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Pikachu Low Tier Again?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Let see. he's fast. he has the strongest upsmash in the game. and several moves that lead into the upsmash. He has AMAZING and UPREDICTABLE recovery. he has a semispike. he has a projectile. he has at least 3 good killing moves

his cons?
poor grab range. Hmm. Mario has worse grab range, yet he's much higher on the tier list.
easily juggled/chaingrabbed. hmm. soo is fox, and he's considered the best character in the game.

is it simply because no one plays him in tournaments? I mean, you can look at the character and tell he's not one of the worst characters.

Pikachu was always middle tier until the last tier list release..Now he's at the bottom of low tier..What prompted the demotion?

SlyShadow

Smash Rookie
I think the Tier list is a way of saying "PLAY FOX LOLOLOLOLOLOL" they consider Roy to be a terrible fighter when really he's a defensive Marth, when I play him I use counter to create holes in my enemy's technique and punish them for letting me do it where the person who did the tier list probably tried to act as if he was Marth and run in using slow attacks. If anything the Tier lists needs to be revamped and not just saying "Yea, you can't abuse <random glitch here> with <Random character here> so he's low tier" they need to say WHY they are low tier such as they are bad on what common used maps and what weaknesses they have to what characters, I'd do it but i'm lazy

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Pikachu can very well be mid tier (high/top tier is asking a bit much). Tier list is based off tournament results, and no one reps pikachu in tournmant. You pay money to enter tournament, so people feel safer "gambling" their money with more proven odds. If more work was put into pikachu's meta game, he would definitely be higher, he has a lot of potential imo.

SlyShadow

Smash Rookie
he has a lot of potential imo.
every character does, like ness has HIGH potential but nobody really bothers to play as him since about all the techniques for high tier characters have been made and nobody is either....

a)Dedicated

or

b)Not high enough skill

to start making techniques with him

Adi

Smash Lord
You guys are silly! The tier list is a statistical representation of who has been winning/placing well in tournaments therefore representing the current metagame in smash.

If you want to see Pikachu higher on the tier listings than place well with him in tournaments!

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
every character does, like ness has HIGH potential but nobody really bothers to play as him since about all the techniques for high tier characters have been made and nobody is either....

a)Dedicated

or

b)Not high enough skill

Actually there's plenty of dedicated Pika players out there that found out a bunch of techniques with him... check the Pikachu board out

Pika is not that good, plain and simple.

The tier list isn't here to tell you which char you should play... it's only there to state the facts.

Banned via Administration
no safe offensive or defensive game. his only hope is to try to keep pressure on constantly but once the positioning is even hes gonna have a hell of a time regaining control

you can't look at statistics when discussing tiers, its about gameplay. how well do they actually do in a match not how good are their moves.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Light and easy to combo is my biggest problem. Whereas I have to fight with the skill of a jedi knight to get my damage off, better characters can just C-stick the same results.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
His uair needs to do more damage.

It would've been nice if the lag on his aerial neutral-B was cancellable by landing.

The only way to rush behind a thundershock would be to fullhop before shooting it... and that is very unsafe/predictable

N64

Smash Champion
He's a bad character.

He dies fast. Half the cast can chainthrow him. He's a nice combo-able weight/shape. His approach options are limited and weak, he has little ability to rush.

We also currently have no Taj/Bum/etc. to play pika to his full potential. A lot of us are pretty good, but I don't think any of us has taken pika to his metagame limit.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Poor range, poor approach options, a subpar projectile set him up to be simply out-played by good players who know to abuse his weaknesses. A large majority of the cast can either out camp a Pika and force them to approach, (which is a situation where Pika is weak) have something evil and high damaging they can do (like Mario/Doc chaingrab to smash), or they can simply out range and out prioritize his moves(Marth, Peach, etc.)

NeeQueoHH

Smash Apprentice
All we have to do is play pika in abillion tounreys, win them and thats it. He'll go up the teir list. thats all we have to do.

NeeQueoHH

Smash Apprentice
he hada sex kik, his bair, and infinite thunder. but i really dont mind where pika is on the teir list. Makes me feel better when i win. mwahaha "you lost to a low teir you stupid fox!!!"

Anther

Smash Champion
on the flip it's pretty bad when people start rooting for a fox/falco/marth player to beat you when you're playing pika x.x.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer

a)Dedicated

or

b)Not high enough skill

Sorry but GG?

Lol jk <3

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Nope, this is uncalled for. I think Pikachu's an excellent character.

Probably the main reason for his demotion is all his fighters used him predictibly. You have to fight in an unorthidox manner, and just doing that can make any character good.

Incedentally, I fail at life with Sheik, so don't take me too seriously here.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Argh KevinM, i feel your pain. I've got a similar chip in my brain, except mine goes berserk when someone tries to say Roy is good. We've got a lot of work to do in this thread!

Metà

Smash Master
Why is everyone always so obsessed with the tier list? Rather than asking why Pikachu is low on the tier list, why not ask why Pikachu sucks? If you're debating that fact, then you obviously have never used Pikachu against someone good...or a Sheik who can chainthrow.
Argh KevinM, i feel your pain. I've got a similar chip in my brain, except mine goes berserk when someone tries to say Roy is good. We've got a lot of work to do in this thread!
I have that same problem! It's a good thing Ragnarok lives in Texas...

Top Bottom