• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is link lower than mario?

Pose

Smash Apprentice
On the tier list? Does it have something to do with their moves? Mobility?? Comboability?

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Link gets combo'd by everyone and their moms. Mario doesn't.
Mario's quite a bit faster and can combo easier than Link can.
Most of Link's attacks have higher start up lag/wind down lag than Mario's do, so Link is more open.
Sheik, Fox, and Falco eat Link. They only munch Mario... And everybody plays those 3 cheapo's. (I'm guilty too)

Pose

Smash Apprentice
Link gets combo'd by everyone and their moms. Mario doesn't.
Mario's quite a bit faster and can combo easier than Link can.
Most of Link's attacks have higher start up lag/wind down lag than Mario's do, so Link is more open.
Sheik, Fox, and Falco eat Link. They only munch Mario... And everybody plays those 3 cheapo's. (I'm guilty too)
yeah but there is a way to get around that right?

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
yeah but there is a way to get around that right?
Oh of course, by all means. Any character can really beat any other character, it's just a matter of skill. So if your Link is better than your friend's Mario, then that's cool; you'll probably win those matches. If your Pichu is better than your friend's Fox, then that's cool too; you'll win those too. But w/ respects to people of equal skill, Mario is usually going to do better than Link.

As for Link vs Mario, you out-range his everything, so remember that. Dthrow-->utilt eats Mario too, but don't miss the grab, or you get PUNISHED. Mario's lighter than Link, so you can usually kill him before he does you. Edge-guard Mario w/ nairs and watch out for the cape. That about covers it!

But what the Tiers List says, in the first place, is how well do characters do in tournaments. And since everybody plays Sheik, Fox and Falco, Link places low.

Metà

Smash Master
If it's any consolation, some people don't allow Luigi and Link in low tier tourneys. That alone should say something about their placing; it's often been questioned, but it's not like it's that important really.

Skler

Smash Master
Take a look at Mario's matchups when compared to Link's. He doesn't do too badly against spacies and shiek. Marth ***** him, he still has a shot vs peach (I have no idea how his matchup is, just that it isn't one sided) and I think CF is another bad matchup for him. Most people play space animals though, so Mario does better in tournies.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Link does just fine against Marth. He's got the projectiles as opposed to the range. It's actually pretty close.

Mario does get eaten by Marth tho...

Skler

Smash Master
I was talking about Mario's matchups. His only one sided top tier match is Marth, Link has pretty much 3 of them (fox and falco aren't exactly one sided, but **** close).

Deva

Smash Lord
Link is lower than Mario because Mario does better against Shiek, Fox, Falco, and C.Falcon than Link does. Nothing more, nothing less. Link has an advantage against Mario, and almost every other character in the game for that matter. It's just that those four characters **** Link and are most used in Tourneys.

Top Bottom