• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why is it 'acceptable' to see some characters 'spam' but not others?

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
I've been called a 'cheap' 'spammer' for holding down B while they badly attempt to DI through Fire Breath and take 100+% from it.

You get over it.

roces9

Smash Rookie
Unless you're doing friendlies, it's a 'play to win' mindset, anything legal goes, use whatever you have, you get the point. I'm not saying it's a favorable thing, but most people like to win, so they will use whatever is available.

What about friendlies is inherently different? If I'm trying to beat my roommate and I ledgegrab gimp his recovery is that "too cheap" for a friendly?

What about if I'm playing Olimar and toss pickmen all day until he approaches? Is that "too much spam" for a friendly?

I play to win even when I'm having fun with my friends. If that includes spamming projectiles all day then so be it.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Sounds fun for your friends.

Camping is different than spamming.

I have a problem with spamming just because it's playing in an annoying, low-level and unenjoyable way. It's still easy to beat though.

Camping is just inherit to Brawl's gameplay, as awful as it is, but is again, only annoying.

Aerials/spacing moves are a lot different though. Use MK's dair all day for all I care, its design functions perfectly as the ultimate diagonal spacer and I'd much rather be outspaced by a dair "spammer" than win against a crappy MK that can't keep his thumb off the B button.

Top Bottom