• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Why is Brawl not being streamed this Apex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djent

Smash Champion
The irony of this post considering he posted EXACTLY the same numbers I did.

If you feel really stupid right now, congratulations, you've thoroughly earned it.
Your #s for this year were absolutely correct, however the 16K from last year is wrong IIRC. I thought it was something like 12-13K for Melee, and 10K for Brawl? Of course, Brawl ending at 4 a.m. certainly hurt it (in a similar fashion as EVO AE's late finish drastically cut its views). But that's all just speculation.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
if brawl is getting phased out of the tourney scene I am totally cool with that.

Thor

Smash Champion
Tungus said:
That's only because you guys can somehow get hype over 1 hit.
Insults are probably not worth it, so I'll omit them. But MK can 0-death off the top with uair-> nado strings, Olimar has grabs -> stuff -> more stuff, Kirby has 40% combo of dthrow -> reverse utilt -> uair -> more stuff I don't even remember, Falco has dthrow -> DACUS, Snake has his tilt and jab strings, as well as planting mines on people and denotating them post other combos, and there are fantastic shots of him getting meteored out of up+b, there are other things I won't even bother mentioning, and Trela did this string way back when, start the video at like 3:47 and watch to the end of the first match [4:07]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5I8iJ3cBs8

You can't tell me stuff like that (at least the video) isn't something to get a bit hype over, while you're like, "OH FOX GOT A SHINE AND OHKOs FALCO WHAAAAAT!" So you're like, "LET'S STREAM THE MELEE INSTEAD!" That's only because you guys can somehow get hype over 1 hit. Oh wait that's your line...

And I actually LIKE Melee, but your argument is absurd. Just because not everyone has _-_-_% [you insert the numbers] strings doesn't mean the game lacks combos or is boring to watch. I first came online to look at Apex and searched for the Brawl vids but saw very little so I switched to look at Melee stuff instead. But I came online specifically to check Brawl first, and I'm sure others did as well.

On a related note, I'm also of the opinion that watching any character try to gimp someone is often far more entertaining than watching PP run through his mental flow chart, except in the instance where the guy on the other end is great at SDI and teching, in which case it might be new "You must recover!" footage for whomever makes those videos. For anyone who truly appreciates the effort that goes into edgeguarding in Brawl, Brawl vids can be far more entertaining than Melee vids, since there's nothing automatic or some set flow-chart for gimping most characters (I guess MK dair is a catch-all but people are ready for that and can dodge through it, among other tricks). Say what you will about combos and such, but the edgeguarding in Brawl is significantly more involved than in Melee, especially in MK dittos, and those gimps add the hype themselves (when I watch MK dittos, attempts at offstage gimps are usually really interesting to watch).

Also this entire thing is based on opinion so I'm probably not going to change anyone's which makes this all a waste of time. But I spent all this time typing it so I'll post it anyway.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Gimps don't exist in barwl because the game has magnetic ledges and the only character that is played is basically jigglypuff with a sword.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I can't agree at all, and it's not because I'm just a blind hater. The matches consisted of staying away from each other. Ally just laced the arena with explosives and fought to get M2K to get hit by them. The game is so bloody defensive!
Wow.
It's refreshing to see someone not trying to be "edgy" and jump on the "x game sucks because it's different and that's fact." bandwagon. Too many try-hard eggs spoil the bunch, ya know? Make both of our communities look like morons.

But really, it just comes down to a matter of preference. I really dislike the hyper aggressive play of most top tiers in melee. It's groan inducing when I see 2 foxes running into each others shield and n-air/-dair < shining or whatever until they give in to the shield pressure. I understand that pinning the opponent down in the first place is difficult because of the high mobility, but the rewards just far outway the risk. Every hit being so punishing just isn't appealing to me.

I get why people like that though. Like, that's the same thing that makes Marvel such an amazing spectator game. Stuff just happens so fast, and every mistake can become fatal! Except melee takes far more tech skill to compete.

Anywho, it's the limitations of brawl that make it interesting for me. **** isn't safe on shield unless it's spaced at maximum range. Hits lead to read attempts instead of set in stone free damage combos. And gimps are scarce in this game, so most of the time you need to get that hard read to take a stock off or get KO'd yourself for flubbing up. All this makes the game very read heavy, and you need to outplay your opponent several times in a row to take a stock~!

Or you can just main MK and avoid all that.

It's very mindgame heavy, in a way that's totally diffirent from melee's mindgames and that's just what I like, as odd as it may seem. Seeing top players space, and go in on each other despite how risky it is is really nice. I guess if I had to compare it to any other game, it's a lot like street fighter, where most of it's played in the neutral spacing game, but going in hard for a early kill is still possible~

This Apex just completely sucked for brawl though. Lol. Salem tearing **** up last year was rad, but MK and Icys really are boring as hell to watch. Ha. I'd kill to see more of the matches with Seagull's Wolf or a couple of Snakes, but that just ain't how it panned out this year. Bahhh.

So yea, if you were genuinely curious I hope that offers some insight~ It's also a matter of "I play this game therefore I understand it better" too, but that goes both ways for both communities~

Aight.
This thread really has run it's course for it's original purpose though.
I'm really shocked it hasn't been locked yet!

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
this thread immediately turned into "Brawl Is Bad". Well it's not bad, it's just awful to watch.

The_Enlightenment_

Banned via Warnings
Id say melee is more akin to street fighter with its footsies and more sparse combos that are more relative to the opponents damage position and DI. Very rarely do players convert to death combos unless they play very specific characters and even then they have to fish for combo starters against players that are well versed defensively. There are still many chars like doc that have a more defensively playstyle and dont reap the same benefits by approaching and attemptin death combos. Youd find more death combos in smash 64 than melee anyway which atm is the appeal of it, bigger combos than melee. I dont know what brawl could be related to, maybe league of legends or something.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm not gonna lie: I was quite upset with Armada not entering singles, Hax not using Falcon, etc. We certainly had a bigger Fox saturation than in previous years. Still, Marth, Sheik, and Puff made appearances.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I can explain why many more serious smashers and melee vets don't really enjoy brawl like I did to my roommates who aren't well versed in smash lore and strategy.

Melee -> Dota
Brawl -> League of Legends

Both are admittedly fun and good games, but brawl is shallower and more geared towards simpler levels of play, whereas if you actually learn the ins and outs of melee (like dota), then watching brawl (like league) seems cheaper and less engaging since there really isn't as much going on as in melee (and dota). So as more people learn melee than interest in brawl will inevitably decrease.

SoulPech

Smash Master
idk. the fact you're stalling means you don't clearly have a reason or is probably mad because he switched to captain falcon..that or you just want attention.

Bones0

Smash Legend
@Jaxel
Everyone who matters knows Apex is always run terribly. There's been tons of controversy at the past events (the biggest probably being 2012 where Melee was virtually cancelled on Day 2, friendlies and all), and 2014 continued the legacy with some of the worst seeding, scheduling, and floor planning the community has ever seen. I'm sure Apex will still be around for next year, but I'm going to predict it won't have nearly the amount of hype or attendance it did this year. The level of bad organization is just too much for people to ignore. It was even brought up on Melee It On Me's post-Apex community discussion.

Hopefully you get on board with a different big Melee event instead since there's obviously nothing wrong with your streaming capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom