• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I'm Happy that Wavedashing isn't back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I've always hated wavedashing from the start. It was a glitch that made your character slip along the ground faster. It served no purpose besides giving an edge to the person who knew how to use it better. Now the characters now have to rely 100% on that characters movement and not the one who can short jump and push down right/left the fastest.

EDIT:

Sorry, this thread was pointless and I sounded like a child. In the end though my opinion hasn't changed. I'm happy that wavedashing isn't back because it allows me to be on a similar playing field. That is it. This thread can be locked now.

Subrava

Smash Cadet
"It served no purpose besides giving an edge to the person who knew how to use it better." Just how exactly is that different from any other thing in the game? You don't have to be so salty just because you're trash at smash.

Dude...c'mon dude, you're just setting yourself up.

Wavedashing isn't a glitch, its basically the game registering that you are coming in contact with the ground and canceling the airdodge animation, as a result the momentum you carried from the air dodge remains and registers as a slide of varying length depending on the characters friction. It's based off the engine, same as characters being able to carry the momentum from their dash when they jump. Also, it was far from useless; it gave characters unique momentum and additional mobility. It is heavily utilized for spacing and platform maneuvering. I can't see how you could sit there and tell someone that you are enjoying the fact that you are glad that something that added complexity and depth to the game many others enjoy brings you happiness was removed; even more ridiculous is that it doesn't even affect you in the slightest. Get a life, dude

Secondly, you are completely wrong about it giving some kind of ridiculously unfair advantage. Its just a slide along the ground, it doesn't do damage to your are cause your character to go into a frozen state or automatically kills you, its just a slide. Like many have said before, you can wavedash all you want, but when you wavedash into my falcon punch it wont really matter now will it?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
A glitch is something that breaks from the way the game is suppose to function. Wavedashing utilized the game's physics in a way that was totally legitimate, even if it wasn't something given an official title by the developers. It's just air dodging into the ground before you have a chance to leave the ground, causing a skid. Nothing is breaking.

I don't think the developers "intentionally put it into the game." They were probably aware of the phenomenon and simply saw no reason to remove it. Unless you can provide a source....

EDIT: Eternal phoenix fire dun ninja'd me. He said it better. XP

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
All right i agree with you all. Its just hard for a scrub like me to understand all of the quick button imputs for a short dash. I'm just glad that I can now focus on the actual movement part of the game instead of trying to teach myself a somewhat awkward technique of sliding on the ground. Sorry.....

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Where is the confirmation it's not back?

KidHellion

Smash Apprentice
I'm with GamerGuy09. It looks silly in execution, it's unnecessary, and while it wasn't some sort of heretical abuse of the physics engine, it also added nothing to the game for me. It's not like it's a staple mechanic of the franchise. It's a side-effect of jumping and dodging that showed up in one title out of 3 (soon to be 5).

It's understandable. But for future reference, if you are imposing an argument on something that a many on this forum will disagree on please try to provide a legitimate argument and source information.

It's good that you're glad you don't have to focus on wavedashing, but you never had too. No one in this community is forcing you to learn what they learn; the beauty of this game is that you can play however you see fit. wavedashing isn't a real deal breaker, understand the opponent, playing smart, mind games etc. are far more important than tech skill, especially if you are unable to grasp the concepts of said skill and how you can implement it.

@Kid: Wavedashing was in the original Brawl demo just to inform you.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Sorry, this thread was pointless and I sounded like a child. In the end though my opinion hasn't changed. I'm happy that wavedashing isn't back because it allows me to be on a similar playing field. That is it. This thread can be locked now.

Aidebit

Smash Journeyman
I'm with GamerGuy09. It looks silly in execution, it's unnecessary, and while it wasn't some sort of heretical abuse of the physics engine, it also added nothing to the game for me. It's not like it's a staple mechanic of the franchise. It's a side-effect of jumping and dodging that showed up in one title out of 3 (soon to be 5).
Silly? We play a game where you can knee someone and they'll get electrified! Our best characters are laser animals!
Wavedashing added depth, and helped movement become faster and smoother.

Well we can agree to disagree, but that's not always going to be the case. There will always be much more experienced players who are more capable of utilizing the tools they are given. Removing one technique wont be that big of a deal breaker, but in a sense it will bring you on a more even ground in mobility. Either way, good luck.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I've always hated grabbing from the start. It was a glitch that made your character attack people through their shields. It served no purpose besides giving an edge to the person who knew how to use it better. Now the characters now have to rely 100% on that characters attacks and not the one who can run around and throw faster.

Kellz

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissKellyAesop
3DS FC
2466-4507-1948
A strategy that skilled players used was removed and that makes you happy because you are unskilled. Oh.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
A strategy that skilled players used was removed and that makes you happy because you are unskilled. Oh.

Yeah, I know its selfish. However I'm still happy. I'm not going to lie, with the new smash probably going to support full online. There will be a high range of different skill levels from casual to expert. Since I'm pretty much a casual non-expert player, I like that its gone. I'm not going to argue, you are right. Wavedashing is apart (abeit not-intended) part of the game.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Yeah, I know its selfish. However I'm still happy. I'm not going to lie, with the new smash probably going to support full online. There will be a high range of different skill levels from casual to expert. Since I'm pretty much a casual non-expert player, I like that its gone. I'm not going to argue, you are right. Wavedashing is apart (abeit not-intended) part of the game.

Dude, stop saying stupid **** like "I'm pretty much a casual non-expert player".

We were all "casual non-expert" players at one point. Most of the top 5 Melee players today are considered "new-school" and didn't join until post Brawl release. If you've got the drive and enjoyment for winning (which you certainly sound like you do) don't hope that you can do so by continuing to be a loser, go play some more people, practice a bit, maybe even go to a tournament, and you'll get so much better in no time.

TL?

Smash Ace
You're being extremely fanboyish and clearly not making any attempt to understand the mechanic at all. Wavedashing isn't nessesary for a good smash game. But wavedashing allowed you more options in terms of being able to place your character where you want them to be. It gives a completely new option out of sheilds and with ledges/platforms, and is very good for techchases and baiting whiffs. Once again, wavedashing itself isn't nessesary, but good and fluid movement options clearly help the feel and depth of the game compared to just having overly restrictive ones.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
You're being extremely fanboyish and clearly not making any attempt to understand the mechanic at all. Wavedashing isn't nessesary for a good smash game. But wavedashing allowed you more options in terms of being able to place your character where you want them to be. It gives a completely new option out of sheilds and with ledges/platforms, and is very good for techchases and baiting whiffs. Once again, wavedashing itself isn't nessesary, but good and fluid movement options clearly help the feel and depth of the game compared to just having overly restrictive ones.

hmmm. I'm starting to get it now....Sorry for being such a noob. I've been watching so many online Melee tournaments that I'm really afraid for playing online in the new Smash, i really hope Nintendo had a system of some sort.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
It's not hard to learn, it means nothing just knowing how to do it and yet its a feature i would want in every fighting game ever. It made melees movement so fluid and gave you endless ways to get from point a to point b. allowed you to respace, manuveur/evade while punishing out if it and approach backwards.

Oh but someone who doesn't know how to use it thinks it takes more skill to roll. Alright. You should never get to be on an equal playing field In a win/lose game that is at its core a competitive experience...just cause you want to. There should be a way for the more skilled player to win in every game, and the loser should be motivated to improve themself. If you want to be on a similar playing field, learn to press x and then r, you've learned to wavedash.

If you're new and I was harsh, I apologize. But you've basically just asked for people to be able to carry the ball in soccer cause its easier that way. Great thig about smash, you can play any way you like. Great thing about competitive scenes, you always get to test your skills and find what areas you need to improve on. I'm just grumpy from hearing this over and over for so many years.

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
There are 4 Smash games including SSB4. Are you including Brawl mods or something? If that's the case, P:M has wavedashing.

Anyway, I love wavedashing/wavelanding/L-cancels/JC usmash/JC shine/doubleshine/shinegrab/etc. For me, Melee is the only Smash game that's satisfying to practice alone because of the tech skill it involves.

EDIT: forgot about the 3DS smash, disregard i suck ****

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
I played competitive Melee. Wavedashing was fine and fast, but what they are doing by "finding a middle ground" is a much better alternative. Removal of tripping was huge for me.. the balance of characters is another thing i am watching out for.

I dont miss wave-dashing much IMO

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice

(abeit not-intended)

Why do people keep saying this?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
These boards are like wood and certain threads like these are like throwing a torch to said wood.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Wavedashing created Waveshining, the most boring-to-watch, stupid bulls**t to ever grace Melee. So if it DOES come to pass that it isn't in the new Smash, I shall be among those who celebrate its exclusion once again. :glare:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Man this would have been a great troll thread, just look at how prime the bait was.

Wavedashing created Waveshining, the most boring-to-watch, stupid bulls**t to ever grace Melee. So if it DOES come to pass that it isn't in the new Smash, I shall be among those who celebrate its exclusion once again. :glare:

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that you're just some hater or a scrub considering you never have anything positive to contribute or say instead of just senselessly bashing something.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I've always hated wavedashing from the start. It was a glitch that made your character slip along the ground faster. It served no purpose besides giving an edge to the person who knew how to use it better. Now the characters now have to rely 100% on that characters movement and not the one who can short jump and push down right/left the fastest.

EDIT:

I get that you are honestly starting to learn and become interested in what you are talking about. And I respect that you have apologized, but opinions like this surface pretty frequently on these forums and start needless wars of bickering. I don't mean to be insulting or to call you out or any kind of pointless nonsense akin to doing as such, but I will never understand this mentality. How some people can watch Melee and see how beautiful, controlled, and concise its' movement is and, instead of getting excited and aspiring to achieve comparable levels of skill and knowledge or even just accept the reality and unfamiliarity they have found, find themselves so selfish and close-minded that they lash out against whatever un-acquired skill or knowledge they deem would, even indirectly, threaten them. It really is unfortunate for everyone who becomes involved, not to mention being a terrible outlook to have towards anything.

[Corn]

Smash Ace

Can everyone read here? He clearly understands that he has said something stupid, Im still waiting for the lock.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
accept the reality and unfamiliarity they have found, find themselves so selfish and close-minded that they lash out against whatever un-acquired skill or knowledge they deem would, even indirectly, threaten them.
Is that it? In my experience, usually found that a lot of Melee players look down on you when you're par their level. I've been shut down countless times on the basis that I don't fully understand something that other folks do, yet most of the time those people don't know really how to explain what it is they hold dear. I'm a big fan of the challenge that a competitive environment can offer, not a big fan of the rungs that run the ranks.

Is that it? In my experience, usually found that a lot of Melee players look down on you when you're par their level. I've been shut down countless times on the basis that I don't fully understand something that other folks do, yet most of the time those people don't know really how to explain what it is they hold dear. I'm a big fan of the challenge that a competitive environment can offer, not a big fan of the rungs that run the ranks.

Well who are you hanging out with, the? It doesn't matter what game you play, there will always be a group of people who are elitist and condescending to others. It's not fair to associate these people based on what they represent with the "one bad apple spoils the bunch" attitude.

Melee players aren't assholes, assholes are assholes.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
It's not fair to associate these people based on what they represent with the "one bad apple spoils the bunch" attitude.
I could say the same for the perspectives that you're trying to address. Seldom do you find yourself competing against players that acknowledge you in an endearing sort of way. There will be people that you play against but one time and that's the extent of your engagement. More often than naught though, they're talkin **** about you behind your back because you didn't capitalize on something well enough. So to them, the engagement was merely a waste of time. That is a very narrow minded perspective, but then again its as you say, that's only one sect of the community,

I don't think anyone here is trying to label those people, merely addressing some of the nuances of certain behavior.

I'd like to counter your sentiment with *****es aint ****, people can be *****es, Melee players are people too thus they're not exempt.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad it's gone simply because being capable of doing an air dodge hard enough to slide any vast distance before your feet were even beyond an inch off the ground simply made no sense.
It would have made sense if the slide lengthened if you managed to land in the middle of an air dodge and shortened if you tried to do it before you had the height necessary to gain enough momentum....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom