• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why i like falcon

D

Deleted member

A reoccurring theme I see from a lot of n00b Falcon Mains are complaints that whine about how much Falcon sucks or how hard he is. Like if you ****ing hate falcon so much or think matchups are impossible why not just switch characters or get better than your opponent so it doesn't matter how bad a matchup is ? (**** marth)

BUT I personally truly love falcon as a character. Although I started playing characters such as Luigi/ Doc/ Game n watch when I was a n00b, watching my first Ken and Isai set for Moast 3 converted me into an Isai fanboy and a Captain Falcon fan. I still think Isai is probably the sickest falcon player in falcon's history

But what keeps me playing falcon? What I like about falcon in comparison to better characters is that he hardly, if at all, has anything that is considered lame or'broken'. He can't shinespike, keep you in a perpetual state of partial stun lock before a lengthy combo, or have an obscene range/ recovery/ etc.

To win against good opponents I feel that you have to find that right option. This is true for any character good enough to hang but I feel that people dismiss falcon in his amount of options. Most mediocre falcon players I see simply dash-dance camp. This is not only boring as ****, but dash-dancing, unless it is extremely good dash-dancing, is increasingly easy to predict vs better players.

My edge-cancel game is simply a tactic to increase the amount of options/ mix-ups I can do. Captain Falcon's potential is not fully tapped IMO. And while it is 98% probably true that even if you did unlock Falcon's potential he would still be worse than the top tiers, i think he can get kinda close to how good they are. I'm still getting better at this game so until I hit a wall I will probably not stop believing this. Until a combination of me getting good enough, dr. PeePee gets sick, Mango doesn't try, etc. i think its possible that falcon can win big tourneys. if you don't agree, its understandable hopefully I can prove you wrong

Also, falcon's weaknesses are not as bad as people think. For example, I think his recovery if mixed up well-enough is mid-tier as ****. And only bad on FD.

Maybe you do have to work harder to win as falcon according to most people (I think all characters are pretty tough), but to me it just adds to that **** feeling of ****** some punk ***. Hax said that retiring people who lost to captain falcon is ****, well I have my fair share of people I retired either for a few months or forever.

tl;dr, falcons sick, and if you are going to lose at least don't lose by being a lame dash-dance camping ****o

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Isai was the first pro smash player I had ever seen and was probably some of the reason I became a Falcon main as well.

I'm glad to hear what S2J's opinion on Falcon is.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I whine a lot about how hard falcon is, but really, I am totally aware that it's 90% how hard melee is and only a little bit about my character. I play falcon because he's ****ing sick, but I could also totally see myself playing fox, except that character seems retardedly hard. I can't press buttons that fast =[

p.s. my l cancelling finger has felt godawful for the last two days after 12 hours of friendlies

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Whenever I feel like I'm johning too much I go on YouTube and fire up S2J vs M2K from Genesis 2. That set is inspiring, keep it up Johnny.

Windrose

Smash Lord
My favourite thing was ikm2. That used to give me motivation but now it is just a shadow of its former glory.

:phone:

OldSchool09

Smash Cadet
Falcon isn't bad at all, he's actually really really good.

He has a terrific OoS game with up-b.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
I respectfully disagree. I just dont think that Falcon can win a national with the best players iin the world using characters like fox , sheik or falco. I mean dont get me wrong.... falcon is quite good, but you would have to be absolutely flaweless with him to win a national tourney. If you can do that power to you, but so far in the 10 years this game has been out... no one really has done so except for maybe Isai, but players are way better now.

D

Deleted member

so u have no faith in me

suck my dik ***** **** azzz *******

D

Deleted member

I hate captain falcon. I think he's a dumb *** character design built on a set of extremes.

- even if it's hella predictable, dashdancing is broken as long as the player does it well. if you do it bad, you get *****. if you do it well, the opponent gets *****. your skill at one technique decides a LOT of your win % as falcon, for good or for bad.
- falcon is really fast in tech chasing, movement, and has a good amount of time to link combos, they're not as tight, etc. but falcon is really slow in terms of his actual moves coming out and can really limit his out of shield game. so the opponent wishes he was slower at certain aspects and the falcon player wishes he were faster in some aspects.
- falcon gets combod and gimped and edge guarded and juggled and tech chased all over so he feels very poor defensively when you're playing him. but when you're against him, he feels really hard to pin because he's so fast, and you constantly have to worry about crouch grab, and he's heavy as **** so it feels like it takes forever to kill him. falcon can also randomly death combo you back or tech chase you into a 4-hits-and-you're-dead

basically, as falcon you always feel like you can get pooped on, especially by stupid characters that can exploit holes well (falco) but against falcon, you also feel like you can always get lamed out of a match. in the end, falcon is annoying to play and annoying to play against, and really he's just annoying.

jigglypuff is the same way for different reasons, annoying to play as and annoying to play against. the characters have too many extremes.

i think you, johhny the player, are ****ing phenomenal at playing the character, overcoming his weak points, and keeping the character interesting. the edge cancels are sick, the character-specific tricks you do are sick, and your below average play is still way above isai's stuff.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
^if you change the tone a bit, you basically wrote why I think Falcon is so awesome. The ability to come back with a killer combo at any point is so satisfying.

crush

Smash Master
I respectfully disagree. I just dont think that Falcon can win a national with the best players iin the world using characters like fox , sheik or falco. I mean dont get me wrong.... falcon is quite good, but you would have to be absolutely flaweless with him to win a national tourney. If you can do that power to you, but so far in the 10 years this game has been out... no one really has done so except for maybe Isai, but players are way better now.
dude amanda won apex2012

:phone:

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
pretty much couldn't agree more with the OP. falcon has his weaknesses and doesn't possess some of the crazy tools that the top tiers have, but what tools he does have can be used to complement each other so well that ****** with him is basically the most rewarding feeling melee has to offer imo.

if falcon weren't in this game i have no ****ing clue who i would main. fortunately i don't have to answer that question.

thanks for the inspiration johnny!

Top Bottom