• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Greninja getting into Smash Bros makes sense (whether you like it or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juken

Smash Ace
Greninja is the Lucario of gen 6 in terms of popularity.

Pretty much everyone who played X/Y liked Greninja, or at least the majority.

Also, I feel like he's more fitting in the game than Charizard. Charizard feels more forced than Snake. Seems like he's only in it cause mega evolution (which lucario already has covered).

I sense that OP is just one of those guys who believes that no new pokemon deserve to be in smash, and that Mewtwo should have returned instead of Greninja being added. I liked Mewtwo too, but it's time to move on.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Is he in the game?

Yes?

There's your answer.

To me he was quite a surprise factor despite liking him a plenty in my XY, but this is what keeps Smash from getting stale in means of character rosters.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Not necessarily. Pokemon X/Y hype was huge as it was.. this just keeps the ball rolling. They released the games, then did the free download promotion for it, now they've shown Greninja in Smash...

But really, I meant marketing for Smash Bros, not for Pokemon X and Y. Lord knows Pokemon didn't need the extra hype for it. I meant, Pokemon gen 6 is so huge, adding someone from it to Smash Bros is a great marketing strategy for Smash.
Ah. Honestly, I don't think either game needs extra hype. Certainly, it's good marketing, but I doubt that's why Greninja was chosen.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yes!

My favorite gen 6(3rd overall),very popular,he's a freaking ninja!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The way I see it, yes. I stopped playing Pokémon a long time ago but X/Y and Gen 6 in general is doing fantastically well. From what I've experienced and heard, Gens 1, 2, 3 and now 6 are the most popular ones for old and new gamers alike. We have our Gen 3 representation in Lucario and a bunch of Gen 1 Pokémon already in the game. Greninja is essentially marketed to be the face of Gen 6, so that generation also gets a rep and if sales and reviews are anything to go by, it deserves one. Now it's a shame that Gen 2 most likely won't get a character in but let's face it - there isn't anyone from that line of games that is still hyped up today and/or a realistic playable character for Smash.

So yes, Greninja 'deserves' to be in Smash. Pokémon has a huge fanbase outside of the original Pokémon, so it's nice to see those fans get a Pokémon they'll like in the game for a change.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I expected Sylveon to be honest
Greninja's a nice suprise

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
The way I see it, yes. I stopped playing Pokémon a long time ago but X/Y and Gen 6 in general is doing fantastically well. From what I've experienced and heard, Gens 1, 2, 3 and now 6 are the most popular ones for old and new gamers alike. We have our Gen 3 representation in Lucario and a bunch of Gen 1 Pokémon already in the game. Greninja is essentially marketed to be the face of Gen 6, so that generation also gets a rep and if sales and reviews are anything to go by, it deserves one. Now it's a shame that Gen 2 most likely won't get a character in but let's face it - there isn't anyone from that line of games that is still hyped up today and/or a realistic playable character for Smash.

So yes, Greninja 'deserves' to be in Smash. Pokémon has a huge fanbase outside of the original Pokémon, so it's nice to see those fans get a Pokémon they'll like in the game for a change.
Lucario is from gen 4 and from what I have heard 4th is more popular than 3rd and I don't think 2nd is that popular anyway

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
No. because I prefer others pokemon Like Zoroark, Genesect or Mewtwo.
I not gonna Lie but Greninja was my starter I dont like him too much in the beginning because he die to fast, but then I Like him but to be in Smash, Was a wasted to me.
I love all the direct, Like the trailer but Greninja was push me soo hard, I feel that my most wanted are not happening.
There even better character out there. But in the end, I need to accept defeat, I even gonna use him but one of the 7 characters I can use in brawl.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Greninja's inclusion doesn't make me mad, though it was definitely shocking and feels rather unwarranted, if I'm completely honest. In style of Pichu being intended for Melee only on part of its popularity within Generation II (and Generation II only), I could very well see Greninja being dropped out in the distant, far-off next Smash Bros. to follow these two games. Current popularity seems to be its main appeal right now. Unless its popularity skyrockets to that of Lucario's and stays consistently that way, I could definitely see its spot being fought over by whatever "Generational Mascot" Generation VII or VIII gives us.

Of course people will like it--people already do. It's a question of how genuine that likeness will remain over the years.
Except Greninja's not a nerfed clone of an existing Pokemon. He has his own moveset which is pretty unique.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I thought it was obvious

We all knew there was going to be an X/Y Pokemon

The developers THEMSELVES said they loved Greninja's design, even before it was revealed to the public

There really isn't anyone else to pick from, certainly not Hawlucha.

He was the most talked about Pokemon in X/Y because people didn't like his design at first, and when they realized it was real they started liking it

Then they discovered it's hidden ability and they loved him

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I thought it was obvious

We all knew there was going to be an X/Y Pokemon

The developers THEMSELVES said they loved Greninja's design, even before it was revealed to the public

There really isn't anyone else to pick from, certainly not Hawlucha.

He was the most talked about Pokemon in X/Y because people didn't like his design at first, and when they realized it was real they started liking it

Then they discovered it's hidden ability and they loved him
I think we all just kinda assumed he wouldn't be in because of the pokemon trainer but now he's long gone

C3CC

Smash Lord
I think he doesn't deserve it because, like you said, he's just one more of the bunch. There's nothing that makes him stand out.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
I know Greninja has popularity and promotion of the 6th gen behind him, but maybe Sakurai is seeing something in this character that we're not seeing.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's Game Freak as much as The Pokémon Company - I'm pretty sure they're working Sakurai pretty hard. Remember that Pokémon is not wholly owned by Nintendo - they only own a third of it. And in order to keep good relationships going between Pokémon and Nintendo, I'm pretty sure Pokémon Company has some to say in games like Smash that Sakurai just has to follow.

I'm 99 % sure that Greninja was the choice of Pokémon Company and not of Sakurai.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
honestly greninja deserves it the most. I cant believe hawlucha was actually that popular.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
No, he didn't deserve it. The only reason he's in is because of Pokémon Company.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
No, he didn't deserve it. The only reason he's in is because of Pokémon Company.
He was still the most popular 6th gen pokemon and that's probably why the pokemon company chose him plus there is so much o work with being a water ninja

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
He was still the most popular 6th gen pokemon and that's probably why the pokemon company chose him plus there is so much o work with being a water ninja
Well, we all know Chesnaught is terribly designed, but how do you know Greninja is more popular than Delphox?

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
This probably indicates that Pokemon Company is not only aware of his staggering popularity, but they also wish to use it in the future. So he WILL deserve it, we just have to give it time, it is the same scenario as Falco or Roy in my opinion.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
Im just gonna end it right now. Greninja is in the game whether he deserves it or not. and none of you salty fellas can do anything about it. geez!
by the way greninja thinks all of the tears are delicious

Morbi

Scavenger
Im just gonna end it right now. Greninja is in the game whether he deserves it or not. and none of you salty fellas can do anything about it. geez!
by the way greninja thinks all of the tears are delicious
Is that some kind of defense mechanism? "Greninja thinks all of the tears are delicious," I am seriously asking. I never understood it; doesn't it imply that the vast majority doesn't deem him worthy, thus making him a less ideal choice? I mean the first aspect of your post was completely rational, the tag-on just attenuated everything you were saying in my opinion.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
Is that some kind of defense mechanism? "Greninja thinks all of the tears are delicious," I am seriously asking. I never understood it; doesn't it imply that the vast majority doesn't deem him worthy, thus making him a less ideal choice? I mean the first aspect of your post was completely rational, the tag-on just attenuated everything you were saying in my opinion.
the last part was a joke. everything else I meant to say.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
First off, Gen 4 didn't really have a big starter. None of them were all that great or popular. Gen 5 have Samurott which was okay but it still didn't reach high popularity.

Really in terms of tiers I'd rank them like this:

S Tier:
Charizard

A Tier:
Blastoise
Blaziken
Greninja

B Tier:
Feraligatr
Typhlosion

C Tier:
The rest

To be honest, those are the only ones that really killed it in the Pokemon biz. The rest were lower end.
I think Venusaur should be higher in this list. Really, all the gen 1 starters are important.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I never would have guessed that Greninja would be playable for SSB4. I was pretty hyped when they revealed him, but I couldn't help but think that he was a random inclusion to the Smash series; he just seems out of place. Now don't get me wrong, I cannot wait to play as him and I think he looks pretty awesome, but he seems like a "smaller" or less popular addition in relation to his identity in the Nintendo Universe. It just seems a little weird. I can't wait though!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, beyond each series' mascots there isn't really anyone who deserves a spot. For Pokemon especially with 700+ characters, beyond Pikachu, every choice is gonna feel like someone else was shafted. I think Greninja is a good choice, but I don't really think he deserves it. Only Pikachu really does.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Well, beyond each series' mascots there isn't really anyone who deserves a spot. For Pokemon especially with 700+ characters, beyond Pikachu, every choice is gonna feel like someone else was shafted. I think Greninja is a good choice, but I don't really think he deserves it. Only Pikachu really does.
And charizard

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's pretty hard for any Pokemon to reach enough popularity along with some of the first 151. Chances are, none of them are going to top the likes of Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise and Mewtwo. Having said that, we've seen some exceptions to the rule, like Tyranitar, Metagross, and obviously Smash veteran Lucario. Honestly, Greninja seems to be the first really popular Starter Pokemon since Blaziken(which might be saying a lot). Hell, the guy is my 2nd Favorite Water type.

Other than that, I do think the Ninja motif pretty much helped itself come up with a solid move pool from the get-go. Greninja is just one of those Pokemon that works in a fighting game. Almost like he was too good to pass up at the time.

D

Deleted member

It's difficult to compare something like Zoroark to Greninja, especially on SWF.

We all sort of viewed Zoroark as the mascot of Gen 5, so it's very easy to see why we'd build it up that way. However, as a character, he never had the same popularity as someone like Lucario. However, Greninja is quickly becoming that Pokemon (the Lucario) for Gen 6. Honestly, he's easily the most popular of the 3 starters, and has a great deal of popularity as a Pokemon. He's like Charizard but new. And a frog.

I wish people would stop saying the only reason he got in was because Gamefreak pushed. Not only is this unverifiable, but it doesn't give Sakurai enough credit as lead developer to make his own decisions. He's trying to make a game where every character is unique and there's a massive, diverse roster. Greninja fills a character archetype that hadn't quite been explored yet, represents the newest series Pokemon has to offer in contrast to old favorites like Pika and Zard, and from a fighting game standpoint, has the potential to look really amazing with his water-based blades and other moves.

Just remember that this isn't the only Smash board, and that we tend to have opinions about characters that centralize around very specific ideas. We also tend to tunnel vision, which might explain why we've literally never seen any announcement coming for this game but Mega Man. (And Mac, but no one expected him to be announced the day he was.)

Greninja is easily the most popular Pokemon of the new gen, and likely blows pokemon like Zoroark out of the water, so I'm honestly not surprised upon further reflection to see him, and I sure hope he sticks around like Charizard and Lucario.
Could not put this down better. I cannot wait to give him a shot.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
And charizard
Eh, all three of the first three starters are huge (prolly why they all got in Brawl in some form). Charizard's higher, probably, but he isn't more deserving than the others in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Eh, all three of the first three starters are huge (prolly why they all got in Brawl in some form). Charizard's higher, probably, but he isn't more deserving than the others in my opinion.
I also think any pokemon that got a movie is deserving, mewtwo, deoxys, lucario, drakrai, zoroark, genesect etc

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I also think any pokemon that got a movie is deserving, mewtwo, deoxys, lucario, drakrai, zoroark, genesect etc
Too many movies. It makes them less special. If there were fewer movies, I may agree with you.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Too many movies. It makes them less special. If there were fewer movies, I may agree with you.
The only movie based Pokémon that deserve to get a playable spot is Mewtwo, Lucario and maybe Zoroark (plus it would be super weird seeing a event exclusive legendary like Deoxys, Darkrai or Genesect as playable characters, without them getting a promotion in their games as well.)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I did expect and had a feeling that a Pokemon from the X and Y series to be playable character for SSB Wii U and 3DS, although I didn't really had much of a clue which one it would be and once Greninja was unveiled, I was surprised and happy at the same time. So other than that, I felt that Greninja deserves his place in the game.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I see Greninja being important in the anime. He already was the most popular starter (although Chespin is my favorite). Out of the 6th gen Pokemon he was pretty likely.

Also, his moveset looks awesome and is definitely my style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom