• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Falcon is no longer the sauce

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
no..?

lol Sakurai knows nothing about competitive smash and he certainly can't balance for it. he balances for ffa with items on very high on new pork city.
sakurai even stated that he knows of the tier list and competitive smash scene, he nerfed and buffed them BASED on that list, fox/falco/marth/peach/falcon/jiggs/sheik got nerfed
ever notice that ness/pika/mario/luigi/kirby/g&w/link/toon link/IC/DK/yoshi/bowser/ganon/zelda got buffed?
why do you think brawl is much more balanced than melee?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
sakurai even stated that he knows of the tier list and competitive smash scene, he nerfed and buffed them BASED on that list, fox/falco/marth/peach/falcon/jiggs/sheik got nerfed
ever notice that ness/pika/mario/luigi/kirby/g&w/link/toon link/IC/DK/yoshi/bowser/ganon/zelda got buffed?
why do you think brawl is much more balanced than melee?
You obviously know nothing about this game.

Fox/marth/sheik are still some of the best characters in brawl.

Link/DK/IC/Yoshi/Bowser/Ganon are not buffed considerably and hurt more without wavedashing and l cancel.

Brawl is terribly imbalanced, go play the game and think about what you say.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
I don't think you can ever have a 100% balanced game. I think the closest people have ever gotten to creating a completely balanced game is StarCraft Brood War, which not only took equal years of development, but MANY patches to do so... Not to mention I think Blizzard got pretty lucky with all the HP/damage/movespeed etc etc and getting it all pretty close to perfect.

Is Brawl completely balanced? No. Was Melee completely balanced? No. I do however think that Brawl is a step in the right direction to creating a balanced game. Not everyone plays this game competitively, as most of you probably know from going to people's houses saying "$1000 to the first of you n00bs to beat me" and they're all amazed by SHFFL and whatnot. So balance isn't just about infinites and other technical "glitches", but keeping equally skilled players exactly that, equally matched. I do think all characters stand a fair chance against all other characters with a few exceptions (Metaknight seems to **** Falcon pretty hard at this point, but hopefully as the metagame develops it could even out ).

That's another thing. We can't really declare that this is an imbalanced game since none of us have played it to it's full potential. When we discover all of the glitches and such in the game and are able to use them with different characters and the metagame is nearly fully evolved, then we can declare how balanced (or lackthereof) this game is. Until then, all we can do is keep playing and trying to push the game in the right direction. :/

Colombian Falcon

Smash Apprentice
Falcon's nair is the biggest problem in my opinion because that was falcon's main approach to start combos or anything...but now it has to hit right when he's kicking, or else the nair will go right through the opponent's character....which means it's too risky, and that his main approach is bad.

With no approach, all we really have is side B and dash attack...which is why he's worse than other characters, because other characters have good nairs or fairs, but falcon also lost his approach with the knee. Sure we can get a couple of hits here and there, the fact still remains that his knee is very punishable.

We all know that falcon's game is in the air, with his aerials weakened, there's not much left lol

I will play him with the hope of finding something...something that can make him a little better at least.

:)

6futs

Smash Rookie
I have pretty much moved on from CF main to GW alt in melee to GW full time now =/. Sometimes I give falcon a try and hes not as fun as before for me yet, but I think he will shape up to be pretty decent once I get used to Brawl's mechanics with him. CF will always be the sauce in my heart.

JeremyKelly

Smash Rookie
Brawl has only been out for about a month, Melee is several years old. We should wait for Brawl's metagame to develop before we start assuming Falcon is no longer 'the sauce'.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
Ok look im not going to say that falcon didn't get nerfed because he did badly, but some people exaggerate. He's definitely still playable, but people want him to be playable the way he was in melee where u can throw in multiple aerials and such. Falcon's f-smash if you think about it for a moment has good knock back and its speed ain't too bad. So its safe to say its absolutely a kill move. And in all reality the only problem with his knee now is the hit box for the great kb is confusing so if someone can get that figured out it would be better than it was in melee because it seems to have greater knockback. (o and keep in mind that i doubt this will happen, but its possible). His bair isn't too bad either i think its pretty good and his u-air is great for damaging. And correct me if i'm wrong but gentlemen is still in isn't it?

PacStrife

Smash Ace
We all wished this vid was legit at some point. But it's not dude. I hate to break it to you, but those combos are impossible to pull off as long as the opponent DI's correctly.
That sounds almost like your describing every single falcon combo from melee. The only "guarantee" combo he ever had was down throw to knee or some other aerial, but everything that made falcon great was predicting DI and landing those combos that aren't supposed to work. And to tell you the truth I would have given up all those guarantee combos from melee just to have a real recovery. Well now falcon has a real recovery so I'm happy.

Captain Falcon is not supposed to be an easy character to play. You have to actually be smart to win with him, just like in melee if you ever played against anyone decent. Also the movement options in this game are alot different from melee, so of course it is gonna take some time to see how good falcon can be as a character who relies heavily on moving around. Basically learn brawl falcon or don't offer your opinion on him, because those of us who learn him are gonna have fun kneeing people with our impossible combos that were never supposed to work at all.

Now please stop acting like falcon is some injured pup and treat him like the man he is!

PS. this post was not directed totally at the person quoted, but at all of the players who have lost their faith in the captain.

Unstop

Smash Cadet
I think it's too early to tell. When I first picked up the N64 controller and played Falcon I sucked for weeks. Then when I got good I was finally able to beat my friend at his grab game with DK.

For melee I never got good with him because I could never wave dash. The pro's showed that he was good but he was not good in the beginning.

History repeats itself? I think so.

K20AFoozbal

Smash Apprentice
aw why so grim everyone, falcon isn't all that bad. In melee he was the "sauce" if by sauce you mean broken, he had his nerf coming, for crying out loud Stevie Wonder saw the nerfbat coming.
explain why he needed a nerf... he wasnt even top tier and he never got that much recognition... plus he was the only guy i ever really liked!!! :cry:

so uh... anyways... i played a couple games with him... kinda at the beginning and this is what i gathered... (i could be totally wrong here... i'm just venting lol)

Knee... GONE
Speed... GONE
Air game... GONE
Dash Dance... pretty much GONE

with out L-cancel, wave dashing and his speed he's pretty much garbage now... he's slow and his attacks are slow. ****ty priority + bad grab + bad practically everything else = gg

the only thing i still enjoy is his Dair

I was also under the impression that they were going to be "fixing" his Fsmash to give it more range... sort of resembling the Fsmash from SSB64... that was the best smash ever tbh... guess they didnt do that... shame they had to hurt him so bad...

also i think i cried when i hit someone with the knee and nothing happened... like... literally cried...

tears running down my cheek.

so sad...

:cry:

EDIT - so i just watched that video... and uhh... i gotta go practice... bbl lol

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice
EDIT - so i just watched that video... and uhh... i gotta go practice... bbl lol
If your opponent DI's toward you, you'll have no problem pulling off the combos in this vid. I've tried very hard against REAL opponents, and these combos aren't legit at all. You'll be lucky to pull a knee flubb into knee off every once in a while... that vid is ridiculous!!! Totally rigged. That dude doesn't air dodge once!!!

K20AFoozbal

Smash Apprentice
yea, after practicing i kinda realized that... the video just got me all tingly inside hoping that i just hadn't played with him enough in brawl yet... sigh...

i'll keep trying. hoping that i'll find some diamond in the rough...

Top Bottom