• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Falco over Fox?

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
I like both of these charachter but i dont know which 1 to choose. They both have things that make each other better then the other (ex. Falcos Spike , Fox's Usmash) but overall which of these do you think is the better charachter and why?

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
i feel more comfortable with falco just because he has chaingrab and a spike. Fox lacks a spike, other than fox illusion. Falco's lasers stop an aggressor in his/her track, while fox's lasers are just kick. Falco, I believe, can space himself better in general with his detachable deflector.

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
I like Falco better because of his spacing too but i find it alot easire to KO a opponent with fox because of his Run - Usmash owns espicialy with his speed
how do u usualy KO with falco

BEES

Smash Lord
Fox illusion does not spike, it sends opponents up or over. Fox's reflector spikes from any of the bottom corners in the hexagon though.

Falco does not have any strong counters, only weak ones (G&W, DK, MK). He also weakly counters Snake and Wolf, which are very successful characters. Fox is strongly countered by Lucas, which is a real problem for him. Otherwise both are pretty strong, and some of the few characters with actual combos.

At least there's nothing like Jigglypuff's sleep in Melee holding them back now. Jiggs used to be absurdly difficult to fight with Fox/Falco.

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
I prefer Falco for a few reasons.

His moves are different and I like them more. I love his bair, his spike is great, and his lasers and shine are awesome. I like his utilt, I like his chaingrab.

I like Falco.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Falco's physics and move damage/knockback/timing I find as perfect for me. His lasers are great and his chaingrab is amazing. I mean, fox is cool too, especially with his dair slow spike and semi-spike shine (his shine is better than falcos imo, I still miss falco's old shine), and his usmash is awesome, but his moves just aren't... as good...? Haha. Falco is just better than Fox.

OmegaSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Falco's physics and move damage/knockback/timing I find as perfect for me. His lasers are great and his chaingrab is amazing. I mean, fox is cool too, especially with his dair slow spike and semi-spike shine (his shine is better than falcos imo, I still miss falco's old shine), and his usmash is awesome, but his moves just aren't... as good...? Haha. Falco is just better than Fox.
This. I like his new moveset.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
I say main the one that feels most comfortable to you.

IMO it doesn't matter if theorycraft tells you that Fox or Falco or whoever cant be certain characters. If you like a certain character and yo feel comfortable with it, use them.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
I main Falco because I played Star Fox 64 and decided he was my favorite character. But listen to everyone else if you want a real reason. To be honest, it would be better to ask "Why shouldn't I main Falco?"

Jarabe 93

Smash Apprentice
I prefer Falco because...
-Laser flinches
-Reflector is thrown
->B Spikes AND comes out faster
-D-air spikes
-Chaingrab
-Better taunts IMO :)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
<b>Falco</b>
I like Falco because of his much better spacing makes it hard for him to be touched and can chain nairs once he pops his opponent in the air. Most of Falco's moves leads to a spiking oppurtunity off the ledge, but if you can't quite get that spike, you can just bair them off stage until they die.

Falco's lasers imo aren't as great as Fox's because I personally have trouble getting them out fast AND close to the ground. They do however have stun power and can gimp recoveries when they're way off stage near the blast zone.

Falco's f-tilt and Down-B are great spacers. Down-B is a bit situational, but is very useful.
Falco's u-smash and and u-air aren't bad KO moves like in Melee and are more on par with Fox's.

<b>Fox</b>
Fox, in contrast to Falco, is faster. Fox runs faster, jumps faster, jumps farther, and falls faster. Fox's reflector is used to get out of your opponents pressuring as apposed to spacing. Fox has an easier time running about landing grabs which allows you to pressure your opponent a lot more since your opponent cannot always reliably hide behind a shield. Fox's U-smash and U-air are quick and powerful KO moves, and are easy to land and can be comboed* into. (*not always a true combo, but you can force opportunities none the less)

Fox's lasers don't stun like Falco's but can be used as free damage when you are far away from your opponent. Doing this also can convince your opponent to take the offense if they are camping a bunch.
Fox's b-air requires precise timing compared to Falco's but launches your foe more horizontally making it harder to recover from.

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
Falco
-Better Reflector
-Better laser
-Chain Grab
-U-tilt combos
-spacing in general
-Can SHDL way better
-Spike
-Can combo alot more ****.

Fox
-Better curved up-B
-Faster running
-Better killing power
-Can stall in the air with reflector

Similarities
-They both combo very well.
-They both have above average grabs/grab range (IMO!)
-Furry?

As you can see Falco has way more advantages than Fox, plus many people think Falco will be top tier.

BEES

Smash Lord
Fox has a better reflector, at least for offensive purposes
Fox also has more combos
-JC shine combos (shinedashing, shine-usmash, shine-utilt-aerial)
-Dair, utilt, f-air, n-air, work together pretty well

Don't underestimate him. He's fast, and once he gets control he holds onto it.

Falco's advantage is with spacing.
-longer roll distance
-higher jumps
-laser knockback
-faster phantasm initiation
-thrown reflector
-dthrow broken-ness

It prevents the ball from ever getting in the opponent's court to begin with.

Blad01

Smash Lord
-Better Reflector
I don't agree. That depends of the use.

-U-tilt combos
"Combos" ? I don't think so... Fox's Dair and UTilt combos are better.
-Can SHDL way better
I don't agree. Fox's SHDL is quicker than Falco's.

I agree of course, but Fox Dair and Reflector are semi-meteor.

-Can combo alot more ****.
... ôO

But, due to the lasers, and because Falco is my main, i also think that he's better. But Fox isn't bad at all.

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
Fox has a better reflector, at least for offensive purposes
Fox also has more combos
-JC shine combos (shinedashing, shine-usmash, shine-utilt-aerial)
-Dair, utilt, f-air, n-air, work together pretty well

Don't underestimate him. He's fast, and once he gets control he holds onto it.

Falco's advantage is with spacing.
-longer roll distance
-higher jumps
-laser knockback
-faster phantasm initiation
-thrown reflector
-dthrow broken-ness

It prevents the ball from ever getting in the opponent's court to begin with.
I stopped reading at the part where you said Fox's reflector was better.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I prefer Falco for a few reasons.

His moves are different and I like them more. I love his bair, his spike is great, and his lasers and shine are awesome. I like his utilt, I like his chaingrab.

I like Falco.
'Nuff said.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I'd only agree on this because Fox has a less punishable shine if he misses. Other than that, Falco's is truly better suited for this game, mainly because it gives him a huge advantage over the cast via virtually unrivaled spacing games.
I answered to the way Recognize writed...

But yeah, each one's shine has advantages :

- Fox Shine :
* Fast, can quickly stop a (shield)grab by example.
* Can Combo after some moves
* Cover both sides on the entire time he uses his shine.
* Makes him float in the air.
* Is less punishable

- Falco Shine :
* Can stop opponents at a certain distance (it has a dead point...)
* Can make opponents trip
* Can sometimes combo after a Jab or a D-Throw...
* Suprises more when it reflects projectiles

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I like Falco. Because, well...

~His lasers have flinch-frames.
~His Bair and Dair (aerials) are godly.
~Chain grabbing is way too fun.
~New Shine is awesome.

That and the fact that he's just plain awesome.

-Ter

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Falco:
Comboes-dair>u-tilt leadins
-d-throw leadins
-d-throw cg
Bair priority and strength
Nair crossups
Greatly improved u-air (now with good killing ability)
Amazing lazers (shdl!?!?!?)
Shine as a very fast projectile (even comboable in some cases)
Very fast illusion recovery
Dash attack cancel (good for comboes and preventing shield grabs)
Greatly improved u-smash (again, with good killing ability)
Same old powerful f-smash

Fox:
Nerfed u-smash
Nerfed u-air
Less range on lazers
Shine decreases speed, making fox vulnerable if shielded or missed
Less priority

--I obviously prefer falco to fox on brawl. as my avatar portrays, I am a fox main on melee, but brawl has taken what these boards have stood for and developed for the past 8 years and basically trashed it. brawl is really what deserves to be trashed, imho

Top Bottom