• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't some LInk player bomb jump

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
I've watched matches of link and never seen any bomb jump. Is it situational or no worth using?

I find more situational since it was usable in melee and is accessible in brawl still.

It's just been on my mind and would like an answers to this.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm no Link whiz, but I messed around with him and I noticed his bombs work a little differently from Melee. Before you could throw them up and hit them with your sword, now they just fall past you. Also I think the time it takes for it to explode in your hand is longer so most people don't use it very much anymore.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
I thought it was when the bomb exploded not when hit. Yesterday i was trying it out, it took me a few time to get the time it took the bomb to explode.

Got the timing kinda of down threw the bomb in the air 3 or 5 seconds after it was in my hand. UpBed it, got hit by the bomb did up b again and reached backed on to the ledge.

Think it takes around 10 probably 12 seconds for the bomb to explode.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm pretty sure they don't explode from attacking at all anymore. If you ever get to do a bomb recovery, you prolly already had the bomb in your hand when you were knocked off the stage.
I agree, that's kinda what I was getting at.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
I know the bomb doesn't explode when you hit, i'm trying to say just when the bomb explodes on it's own then you UP B etc, etc.

Basically is it worth using when the opportunity presents itself or not ?

D

Deleted member

its only useful if you have a bomb in your hand already when you are knocked off the stage

i'm pretty sure bombs have an 8 second fuse, i dont remember though

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
If the bomb is about to explode when you throw it up and up-b into it why not only up-b and let the bomb explode in your hand? its less risky. The only reason why it was tossed upward and up-b into it in Melee was because it exploded when hit.

Naga

Smash Rookie
The bomb jump is highly situational as it's been pointed out already, and the only time most people use it is when they've been knocked off with the bomb in hand. It's not typically something you'll intentionally do. Though, anyone who uses the bomb Zair trick may want to become adept at timing this properly.

Linkguy

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to find the time at which the bomb explodes below you, so if you're at a higher damage percentage, you'll shoot straight up! WOOSHHH!
This would be a pretty cool trick, very situational but could be useful sometimes and fun to do.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I actually use the bomb jump a lot more than other people.

You can't throw it up so you have to time it. It is best used for edgegaurd attempts.

Time the bomb and jump off the stage. do some areal

suggestions

airdogdge zair up b and bomb jump to get back up.
use a special move then up b and bomb jump to get back up

I use this one a lot.

Grab button drops the bomb. if you press the attack button immediately after you can re grab the bomb and perform any areal.

That last one is good cause nair is pretty good for edgegaurding people with decent recovery's (if they have a bad one i just gale gaurd.) because i regraded the bomb i can still get back up on the stage

you can use bair if they get behind you and attempt a stage spike or fair if you want but fair is more useful for your first attack when you jump off the stage as those moves take longer.

DON"T do dair or u air doing this as the lag might kill you. unless you plan on your bomb breaking you out of the move.

The two most important things when using this is the timing of course and the DI.
make sure you DI out of the bomb explosion towards the stage to get decent horizontal distance on your up b cause you can kill yourself if you don't.

also. don't do this against certain characters with bad recovery because gale guarding is easier and safer.

don't do this against characters like metaknight or ROB because you will probably be gimped while trying to do this and causing your own death

this is a good technique for character with moderate recovery (IDK fox..marth...a few others just be sure not to get spiked while attempting this. you might want to zair and space or use a special to avoid a spike against certain characters as well as characters that are vulnerable in there recover (SNAKE)

on a side note Link actually has 2 boomerang ranges. smash b which sends it out for a long distance and tilt be for a shorter distance. as you know at the end of the boomerang the gale will push people AWAY near the end of its trip out. Since the shorter throw of links boomerang makes the tornado come out closer to link and will push people away that are in this mid distance rather than just hitting them, the shorter version of the gale boomerang throw is somewhat more useful for performing this kind of edgegaurd (but gale gaurding is still the best)

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the info Swordplay, didn't know it could be used as an edgeguard thought mainly a situational recovery.

Do you have any vids of you using it in a match ?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Yes but I have no idea how to get them on the computer....they are stored in my replay's....also I don't have an SD card which I probably need to get them online...... Once I learn how to post video's Ill post them here.

but I want to be straight foward and honest here.

This tactic rarely hits and is easily avoided. So the question is why use it. Often character with average recovery's and even some characters with good recovery's die by trying to avoid it. Out of the hundreds of matches I have played with Link I have only sucessfully hit a player for a kill while doing this once....maybe twice. but I have killed many characters who try to avoid it and get back on the stage but with my bomb hop I can be unpredictable in what I will do being so far off the edge. Once people adapt to this they can get around it half the time but It is nice because nobody expects a link player to jump off the edge like that. They will often get confused and waste recovery time trying to figure out what to do.

So while it is a nice way to kill it will rarely happen.

I use the technique more so for blocking passage back on the stage by extending the amount of time I am able to stay in the air.

Those moves I listed about that can hurt are really for throwing in some moves to

1 make it look like your doing ****.

2 throw out hitboxes to make it harder to get around you.

.....really only nair will do alot after a bomb drop of course.

and really only use it on people who recover from a distance like pit and snake during thier up b cause otherwise you probably won't need the extra bomb hop to get back on the stage.

This actually works cause you can pull a bomb out before you jump off the stage into the air but it is just as situational as bomb recovery in the sense that it works only on a few recoveries and it won't work or you won't need to do it against others because they are either to hard to do gimp...metaknight. or can easily be gimped by another edgegaurd technique....gale gaurd

Deva

Smash Lord
Yeah, recovery wise, just hold the bomb. You might be able to bomb drop to dair but never tried. As an edge guard it's awesome though. if you bomb drop at the edge and follow up with a Dair, one of three things will happen. Either they will get hit by the bomb and get stage spiked, hit by the bomb andget blown away from the stage again, allowing for another setup, or aviod the bomb and get hit by your dair. It's really hard to avoid.

neji32

Smash Lord
Wouldnt it work against a meta too?
If your off the stage against meta, couldnt you pull out a bomb then double jump Up B, then if the meta comes out to Fair you one of 2 things will happen,
1) the bomb will blow up then and you both will be hit and you can di toward the stage
or
2) you will be hit away and you can Up B immediately and the bomb will blow and you can do it again

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
7 seconds... It explodes then. It exploded in 7 seconds in Melee too. It always exploded in 7 seconds, same with T. Link and Y. Link from Melee. And I think also with N64 Link, exploded at 7 seconds.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
if you bomb drop at the edge and follow up with a Dair, one of three things will happen. Either they will get hit by the bomb and get stage spiked, hit by the bomb andget blown away from the stage again, allowing for another setup, or aviod the bomb and get hit by your dair. It's really hard to avoid.
I started doing this a couple of weeks ago, so far Im happy with the results :)

EDIT: what I do though is jump > bomb drop > double jump > dair

Deva

Smash Lord
yeah, but the reason it didn't work in melee was everyone wasn't as floaty. With Link in Brawl, if you pull a bomb while double jumping and get hit away again during an edge guard, it will almost always explode before you die.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
even though im a lucario i use the hookshot...its there for more resons then grabbing. bomb recovery only works if you planed to attack someone with a bomb and you get hit off.

unless you throw the bomb at a item thats nearby you while you are falling.

i wonder if you can make a bomb explode by hitting it with a hookshot or boomerang...

Top Bottom