• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't people ever use the Extended Grapple?

Violence

Smash Lord
I mean, it's really easy to get, and I can't really think of a situation where the extender would be worse than using the regular grapple. I feel like using it in situations where someone's missed a tech, I can just stand next to them outside the range of their getup attack and use the extender right after they move. Also, I can stay outside of someone's off the edge options and hit them with the extender whenever they get up.

I feel like it's an underused part of Samus's repretoire, but I could just as easily be missing something obvious.

So why don't people use that thing?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I use it in friendlies most of the times, but in the competitive, it's a no-no :x
It takes some good handwork to do input the commands fast enough in a serious match, but its disjoint was ******** good.
Weren't things like this banned in tournaments anyway?

Violence

Smash Lord
I dunno, I don't find it hard to get at all. It takes like... a second... I fullhop, grapple, input the command, fast fall, land, and I have it. This works like 90% of the time for me, and I suck at Samus techs.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
I can never really find a good reason why i shouldnt bust out my longer whip. Its just not my preference, however if you feel like you can make it work, then by all means go for it.

I just dont think it will make her grab go from crap to good if used IMO

Geist

Smash Master
It isn't banned in tourney.

I don't use it because there's always better options, and the fact that you have to set it up before-hand limits the time you can use it.
Grabs don't lead to too many follow ups in most cases.
Once I actually have it activated, I always have a mindset like "useituseituseituseit"

Friendlies only imo

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
you make a good point. it would be a really secure way of tech chasing. grabs lead to good combos against spacies (uthrow to a sweet spotted bair). that same combo applies for falcon too. downthrow to nair against floaties, etc. hmmm

rhan

Smash Hero
I use it whenever I remember about it.

It's awesome for mindgames. Like if your opponent techs in place often. Just throw the chain out there and go fishing. Also when they're on the ground. Just turning away from them and throwing the chain out there is hilarious.

Samus <3

Geist

Smash Master
It sucks so much if you forget you have it, then go for a grab, and you whiff it.
Makes me want to punch small animals

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I use it when I know I am going to win anyway.

Otherwise fast characters that will just **** you if you do, you probably shouldn't be grabbing too much anyway...

Pi

Smash Hero
It defiantly has it's own unique uses
But I don't think anyone has really truly explored it's metagame

Though I would imagine if it ever got too common people would just start jump as soon as they saw it.

also you can't grab from the air from it so no cool regrab combo's

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I just use in friendlies, If I was playing anyone good, I would wanna play a lot more defensive, and it leaves Samus too open. BTW, you can extend grapple in air, meaning you can do it right off the respawn.

Violence

Smash Lord
I don't think that the extender will make Samus's grab go from crappy to good, I don't think it's the best thing ever, and I know that it has limitations.

However, I do think that it is strictly better.

I honestly can't think of a situation where I use an extender, and end up wishing it was the normal grapple except for two situations:

I whiff because I pressed to grab at the wrong time. This is just lack of practice.

The opponent is in the air, and I would've been able to get him with the regular grapple frames ala spaceball's famous air grab combo. This is a legit problem, but I think it's very small and insignificant. The regular grapple's air grab frames are so short and near to Samus's body that I think it doesn't outweigh the benefits of the extender.

You can tech chase easier, and add a new dimension of mindgames.

And do people jump out of your normal grab? At the same distance, the extender gets there faster, they should have less time to react. It also counters spot dodging as a response because you can grab during three different intervals, whereas if they spot dodge your normal grapple, you're going to get hit. If they were to jump, they would've jumped your grapple anyway, and you shouldn't have grabbed.

Anyways, I'm a fan of this, and I'm going to practice it. I think it has a lot of underused potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJCEiQ84RAw

I especially like the segment that teaches you have to tech chase people on a platform above you. It's completely safe!

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I am pretty sure you can grab out of the air if they are right in front of you, but beyond that you can't.
Nope, once you turn the extender on, the ability to grab out of the air disappears, even with a dash grab that's spaced where it would grab normally (and pressing A or Z to activate the actual "grab").

The opponent is in the air, and I would've been able to get him with the regular grapple frames ala spaceball's famous air grab combo. This is a legit problem, but I think it's very small and insignificant. The regular grapple's air grab frames are so short and near to Samus's body that I think it doesn't outweigh the benefits of the extender.
YOU'RE SMALL AND INSIGNIFICANT!
says the 5'7"ish dude who is posting on a video game message board

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nope, once you turn the extender on, the ability to grab out of the air disappears, even with a dash grab that's spaced where it would grab normally (and pressing A or Z to activate the actual "grab").

Oh well I was referring to being sure about being able to grab out of the air with normal grapple. As for the matter of extended I have no idea.

The extender is a gimmick. You can get away with it maybe once a match and make it useful if they didn't see you actually input the grapple sequence. MAYBE twice, but I think against any high level player that would be difficult. It also really depends on the level. I think it would be more effective on platform levels.

Another situation where I think it may work is if they are hanging onto the ledge, you can have it hone in on them, then you will have a bit of a window to possibly grab them if they climb up. I don't think you can grab them if they are hanging though.

Extender is really situational. Probably better in teams if anything.

Geist

Smash Master
In teams it homes in to closest player, your teammate included.
I wouldn't consider it too much better than in singles, if anything. Maybe if you don't use the homing feature you could do some tricky stuff.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i don't like that i'd have to set it up during a match
i don't know when my ENEMY will allow me the time to do it
and if he does then wouldn't it be better to charge my charge shot instead?
sure i know i only have to do it once
but then what if in that moment, a charge shot would have been better

the problem i think is that the ACTIVATION is situational
actually using it would be better than regular grab

like if you play pokemon
i would liken it to a non-sunny day solar beam or just any attack that takes a turn to charge or some ****

SO i think it's good but not VITAL and so not incredibly useful
almost like upsmash

Violence

Smash Lord
It takes less than half the time to charge a shot then it does to extend your grapple. You can even prep it during a bomb jump and it takes even less time.

What I mean is, I don't think it's ever a bad thing to have. After you kill someone, of course you're still going to grab a charge shot, it's a charge shot! But if you have that extra time when you've just hit someone across the stage, a quick hop into a grapple extend sequence then fast fall loses you nothing and makes your grab strictly better, and that's why I think we should start using it more.

I dunno. I'll be using it more, at least.

Pi

Smash Hero
It's not a bad thing, and it's downsides are pretty insignificant, it does counter spot dodging, but I find most of the times I have trouble grabbing is when my opponent is being super aggro, and jumping and doing things, as opposed to shielding
honestly I think the only significant improvement the extended grapple has is it's tech chasing aspect

Top Bottom