• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Does Nintendo Hate Donkey Kong?

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Except that infinite jumps off the ground is extremely OP. And that's really the only unique thing Cranky brings to the table. Sonic could've done the exact same thing, Pac-Man could've, and another character who uses that as a primary attribute... Ridley. Yes, any of these characters can do the exact same thing Cranky does.
I wasn't really thinking about it from a gameplay perspective. All I was getting at is that Cranky is a much more prominent character in the DKC series these days than K. Rool, and unlike Dixie, has NEVER missed an entry in the main series. He's always there in some capacity.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Characters get into smash largely because of what they can do, not because they "deserve" it. Hence Robin over Chrom. You don't see characters like Dixie or Issac because they would end up being extremely similar to what we already have.

(Don't make me explain the clones again, please.)

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Characters get into smash largely because of what they can do, not because they "deserve" it. Hence Robin over Chrom. You don't see characters like Dixie or Issac because they would end up being extremely similar to what we already have.

(Don't make me explain the clones again, please.)
I won't. Just explain Greninja then. Dixie is at least more unique than Greninja. She at least has the opportunity for a special characteristic not really implemented before in Smash.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I won't. Just explain Greninja then. Dixie is at least more unique than Greninja. She at least has the opportunity for a special characteristic not really implemented before in Smash.
Greninja isn't unique? He's a physically fast character with few combos and tons of gimmick moves. Dixie just has her hair which would end up like Diddy Kong's rubber arms. I don't care if she fights with her hair, it's the same as a fist with a different animation.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Greninja's uniqueness is more a matter of look. And promotion for Pokemon X/Y

His only real unique gimmick is Shadow Sneak, and it's not on par with Rosalina's Luma, Shulk's Arts, Little Mac KO Punch or Robin's tomes.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Greninja isn't unique? He's a physically fast character with few combos and tons of gimmick moves. Dixie just has her hair which would end up like Diddy Kong's rubber arms. I don't care if she fights with her hair, it's the same as a fist with a different animation.
I take it you haven't played DKC2 or DKC3 then? Dixie's hair allows her to transition into a slow, controlled glide/fall. I envision her being a more aerial oriented Diddy Kong - almost a Diddy/Jigglypuff hybrid.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I take it you haven't played DKC2 or DKC3 then? Dixie's hair allows her to transition into a slow, controlled glide/fall. I envision her being a more aerial oriented Diddy Kong - almost a Diddy/Jigglypuff hybrid.
Beaten every level in every DKC game. What you have is a recovery move at best.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Oh and Nintendo:

I'm STILL waiting for my DK 3DS Theme. Thanks.
And the MK theme.
And the Kirby theme.
And the FE theme.
And the KI theme.
And the Wario theme.

Chances are that Nintendo is releasing them at a snail's pace like with the Virtual Console, and not because of some raving DK bias.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
And the MK theme.
And the Kirby theme.
And the FE theme.
And the KI theme.
And the Wario theme.

Chances are that Nintendo is releasing them at a snail's pace like with the Virtual Console, and not because of some raving DK bias.
I am aware of this. Thanks.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I think the term you're looking for is underrated, not hated. I do agree that DK gets a pretty crappy representation in Smash 4 (while other franchises like Fire Emblem & Kid Icarus get better treatment despite not being as popular as something like Pokemon or Zelda), but the series is by no means hated by Nintendo.

I mean, it's not like DK got a new game for the Wii U back in February that did really well or anything. If Nintendo left DK to rot in the basement for several years without new games or any appearances in Smash, then it'll be hated by them.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
Well... I think Donkey Kong is considered a Mario character. Also... I don't like monkeys and apes!

etecoon

Smash Hero
What do you mean?
Don't you like jungle japes remixed 7 times, half the remixes from brawl?

Japan doesn't care about DK, therefore sakurai doesn't.
Haven't dug into setting the music for every stage yet but this is most egregious if true, DKC and DKC2 have amazing soundtracks that deserve tons of rep, Brawl dissappointed a lot with it's music selection, really not utilizing a lot of great nintendo music, was hoping it'd be better this time

Top Bottom