• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Does Nintendo Hate Donkey Kong?

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
So a question lately has been burning in my mind:

Why does Nintendo hate Donkey Kong? I have been following the development of this last Smash, hoping - fervently hoping - for some new DK swag to make an appearance. After all, this game was being developed after a successful reboot of DKC over three different consoles, helmed by one of Nintendo's most talented developers. By now it's become clear to me that:

1) SSB4 currently has no new DK characters.
2) SSB4 currently has no new DK items.
3) SSB4 currently has no DK ATs.
4) SSB4 currently has 1 new DK stage.

Quite simply, I don't understand. I can sort of see the argument behind not having K. Rool, seeing as he hasn't been present for quite some time - but Dixie was just featured in a game that released months before SSB4. Surely Sakurai knew she was in development? What's more, she is a female character - and one of Nintendo's first and most successful at that - and all she gets is a trophy? Nah. Disrespect.

Even going past Smash:

1) Mario Kart currently has no Diddy Kong, even with DLC known out to next Spring.
2) We have numerous Mario series 3DS themes, Zelda series 3DS themes, Animal Crossing series 3DS themes. Shoot, there's even a Shovel Knight theme. I've been checking once a week at least for my DK theme.

Where. Is. It?

Can someone help me out here? I'm clueless. As far as I know, DK is Nintendo's 4th best selling franchise. It keeps Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda company. Where is the respect? Why does our good friend DK have to suffer so?

Nintendo: I am not expand dong. Not expand dong at all.

Untouch

Smash Master
What do you mean?
Don't you like jungle japes remixed 7 times, half the remixes from brawl?

Japan doesn't care about DK, therefore sakurai doesn't.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
DK's popularity is more here in America, while the developers are still stationed in Japan. DK isn't popular in Japan like at alllllll.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Well Nintendo really ought to get off their Japan-centric high horse. I can understand appealing to that market, but the US and EU market are also very large, and in the case of the US Market it's their biggest one.

Even if DK isn't popular in japan, he's Nintendo's 4th best selling IP of all time, behind Mario, Pokemon, and Legend of Zelda, and the DKC series deserves better than it gets.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Overall, I think the DK series still has a fair amount of representation in Smash. Not only that, but if I recall correctly, Dixie was at least considered for Brawl, if the data on the disk was any indicator. I'm not too worried about characters yet since DLC is a possibility.

Also, doesn't the Wii U version have the retro N64 stage? Personally, I think that is quite an honor. Then again, I'm nostalgic like that lol.

Last edited:

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Nintendo doesn't hate Donkey Kong. I agree that Dixie is probably the most deserving character yet to get in SSB, but the lack of a DK newcomer doesn't really mean anything. DK got a new stage with a mechanic so unique and creative it got featured in the Wii U Direct, and it also got a fair helping of new songs. Plus there is evidence Dixie was strongly considered for at least Brawl. In a game like SSB, there's bound to be a few discrepancies in the amount of representation each series gets.

As for your other points, Diddy Kong is probably not in MK8 because he has his own racing series. And DK characters occasionally appear in MK, so when they chose crossover DLC characters they probably looked outside the Mario-DK-Yoshi-Wario-verse. I'm sure there will be a DK 3DS theme eventually, but there are plenty of Nintendo series lacking 3DS themes. The only big DK game on 3DS is a remake, so they have less reason to make a theme compared to series like Zelda, Mario, and AC that have huge blockbuster games.

And while the Donkey Kong series is one of Nintendo's bestselling brands, that is a bit deceptive. The Donkey Kong series includes the original arcade series, the Country series, the Vs. series, the Land series, the Konga series, the Swing series, and more. Many of those sub-series don't have any big characters except DK. Most of the rest of the DK crew gets its fame from the Country subseries, which sold well, but not higher than series like Kirby.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm still hoping for a reveal next year after Mewtwo's release for Dixie as DLC.

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
So far, Kongo Jungle 64 is the only N64 returning stage in smash wii u.
Jungle Hijinx is the only stage to have dual-plane battling.
There's still possibility for DLC.

If anything, I'm surprised you're not complaining about Star Fox or Metroid's rep.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
If anything, I'm surprised you're not complaining about Star Fox or Metroid's rep.
Aren't Star Fox and Metroid more niche franchises though? There's less of a reason to complain for those 2 series not getting good rep when they aren't as popular and successful as a series like DK.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

Why does Nintendo hate Donkey Kong? I have been following the development of this last Smash, hoping - fervently hoping - for some new DK swag to make an appearance. After all, this game was being developed after a successful reboot of DKC over three different consoles, helmed by one of Nintendo's most talented developers. By now it's become clear to me that:

Quite simply, I don't understand. I can sort of see the argument behind not having K. Rool, seeing as he hasn't been present for quite some time - but Dixie was just featured in a game that released months before SSB4. Surely Sakurai knew she was in development? What's more, she is a female character - and one of Nintendo's first and most successful at that - and all she gets is a trophy? Nah. Disrespect.

Even going past Smash:

1) Mario Kart currently has no Diddy Kong, even with DLC known out to next Spring.
2) We have numerous Mario series 3DS themes, Zelda series 3DS themes, Animal Crossing series 3DS themes. Shoot, there's even a Shovel Knight theme. I've been checking once a week at least for my DK theme.

Where. Is. It?

Can someone help me out here? I'm clueless. As far as I know, DK is Nintendo's 4th best selling franchise. It keeps Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda company. Where is the respect? Why does our good friend DK have to suffer so?

Don't forget having eight goddamn versions of the same song.

What really pisses me off though is how DK still hasn't got even one assist trophy. It's not like there's a shortage to choose from.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
DK's popularity is more here in America, while the developers are still stationed in Japan. DK isn't popular in Japan like at alllllll.
Except DK is actually one of the most popular Nintendo franchises in Japan. Get your facts straight.

Nintendo doesn't hate DK. The sole fact it let Retro Studios, one of its best studios, work in two Donkey Kong games should be proof enough.

The DK representation still is miles better than what Rhythm Heaven gets, a series which also happens to be one of the most popular Nintendo series in Japan, so I really don't get all the complaining coming from DK fans (And I am a DK fan). The DK representation is also better than what Advance Wars, Eternal Darkness, Metroid, Golden Sun, Baten Kaitos, Style Savvy and tons of other Nintendo franchises get. Some people are never satisfied, are they?

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
Aren't Star Fox and Metroid more niche franchises though? There's less of a reason to complain for those 2 series not getting good rep when they aren't as popular and successful as a series like DK.
So is Kid Icarus, and it gets all the love in smash 4 -.-

Oh and metroid has more rep than DK, you know it actually has TWO new assist trophies!

Last edited:

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo doesn't hate Donkey Kong. I agree that Dixie is probably the most deserving character yet to get in SSB, but the lack of a DK newcomer doesn't really mean anything. DK got a new stage with a mechanic so unique and creative it got featured in the Wii U Direct, and it also got a fair helping of new songs. Plus there is evidence Dixie was strongly considered for at least Brawl. In a game like SSB, there's bound to be a few discrepancies in the amount of representation each series gets.

As for your other points, Diddy Kong is probably not in MK8 because he has his own racing series. And DK characters occasionally appear in MK, so when they chose crossover DLC characters they probably looked outside the Mario-DK-Yoshi-Wario-verse. I'm sure there will be a DK 3DS theme eventually, but there are plenty of Nintendo series lacking 3DS themes. The only big DK game on 3DS is a remake, so they have less reason to make a theme compared to series like Zelda, Mario, and AC that have huge blockbuster games.

And while the Donkey Kong series is one of Nintendo's bestselling brands, that is a bit deceptive. The Donkey Kong series includes the original arcade series, the Country series, the Vs. series, the Land series, the Konga series, the Swing series, and more. Many of those sub-series don't have any big characters except DK. Most of the rest of the DK crew gets its fame from the Country subseries, which sold well, but not higher than series like Kirby.
I can see your points, and I am aware of the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumor, but the DKC Crew are present in a wealth of games outside of DKC. Just a cursory google search shows that Dixie was present in games like Donkey Konga and DK Jungle Climber. Certainly less than stellar games, but then again - that's my point. DK deserves better, and America eats DKC up. The phrase "It's on like Donkey Kong" has become ubiquitous.

And as far as Star Fox and Metroid go:

- Star Fox does not have an extensive library and history of games to it's series. The fact that it got 3 reps in Brawl while DK had 2 is mildly insulting.
- Metroid has practically no salient, recurring characters other than Samus and Ridley. It's the nature of the series. Plus, Ridley has a fairly large place in SSB4 currently - though it may not be the place that the fanbase wanted.

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
Yeah, he hates Donkey Kong. That's why one of the most unique gimmicks in the game, double layered stages, is set on the brand spanking new DK stage. That's why Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are even in the game to begin with. That's why Donkey Kong has enemies like Kremlings in Smash Run.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Except DK is actually one of the most popular Nintendo franchises in Japan. Get your facts straight.

Nintendo doesn't hate DK. The sole fact it let Retro Studios, one of its best studios, work in two Donkey Kong games should be proof enough.

The DK representation still is miles better than what Rhythm Heaven gets, a series which also happens to be one of the most popular Nintendo series in Japan, so I really don't get all the complaining coming from DK fans (And I am a DK fan). The DK representation is also better than what Advance Wars, Eternal Darkness, Metroid, Golden Sun, Baten Kaitos, Style Savvy and tons of other Nintendo franchises get. Some people are never satisfied, are they?
Except the DKC series is two decades old now. Rhythm Heaven is barely 6. I also would like to disagree that DK has more representation than Metroid, seeing as both have two characters but Metroid has more ATs as well as a stage boss. If anything Metroid edges DK out by a bit. Not by much - but it's there.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
If you want to talk age, then the Wars Series has a 26 year history stretching 12 games and is partially the reason why another Nintendo franchise (Fire Emblem) is popular yet it only has one barely memorable assist trophy.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2

Oh and metroid has more rep than DK, you know it actually has TWO new assist trophies!
The reason Kid Icarus is getting a ton of love this time is that
A. The series just got a huge re-birth two short years ago. (And that re-birth was amazing.) and
B. Sakurai made Kid Icarus.

And for your Metroid statement, just remember this:
Both DK and Metroid took till Brawl to get a newcomer.
And as far as Smash is considered, playable > boss/ AS.
Oh, and both series got a VERY requested character not in the game.
(Dixie/ Ridley.)
(I don't count King K. Rool because of the point of him being outdated.)
Oh, and this will be a flame war if it doesn't get locked.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I honestly think that DK suffer from being "a Mario character", despite having his own logo. It applies to Yoshi and Wario as well. (at least, Wario have his lolis)

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom

Kid Icarus does have two factors going for its representation
1. Most of the stuff was easy to take from KI:U on the 3DS version because the part of dev team were able to take stuff from KI:U since they worked on it.
2. Bias

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
As far as no Dixie Kong goes, I think that's because Sakurai has been emphasizing uniqueness in the newcomers (barring the clones) and Dixie Kong is pretty derivative of Diddy Kong and would most likely be a semi-clone like Lucas/Wolf/Toon Link or at best be in an Marth/Ike situation with Diddy (playing almost completely differently but not bringing that much variety to the roster all the same). While it wouldn't have been a problem in the Brawl days, it probably no longer flies in Smash 4.

As far as the stages go, its most likely has nothing to do with Donkey Kong hate. In the 3DS version, Yoshi and Wario didn't get a new stage either which is especially ridiculous with Wario who's two franchises have largely been handheld staples until last generation. It's still bogus (especially when they made Jungle Japes WORSE) but it's not really DK hate. In the Wii U version, EVERY franchise that isn't Mario has only gotten one new stage (With F-Zero and Earthbound only having old stages and Game & Watch not having a stage at all).

Definitely agree with you on DK getting no Assist Trophies being stupid and the lack of a newcomer being lame all the same.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I can totally understand saying that there's not enough DK representation in Smash.

But to say Nintendo "hates" Donkey Kong after we just got a game as amazing as Tropical Freeze, which they advertised to the point a lot of people got sick of seeing it everywhere just plain laughable.

Seriously, earlier this year, Donkey Kong was all Nintendo was talking about.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

Even going past Smash:

Where. Is. It?

DK gets shafted because it was made big by a Western company that is now signed to the competition. There's also the fact that people like Sakurai who don't seem to know too much about the franchise seem to think it's a sub-series of Mario, which it isn't.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Saying Nintendo hates DK is an overstatement. I love the Donkey Kong series, and I agree that it's underrated, but saying it's hated is an exaggeration.
I think at the very least, more songs (DK has some of the best music Nintendo can offer, why is half of it Jungle Japes?) and another stage would be nice. It deserves more than Kid Icarus does

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Saying Nintendo hates DK is an overstatement. I love the Donkey Kong series, and I agree that it's underrated, but saying it's hated is an exaggeration.
I think at the very least, more songs (DK has some of the best music Nintendo can offer, why is half of it Jungle Japes?) and another stage would be nice. It deserves more than Kid Icarus does
Yea. Hate is an overstatement. I meant my title to be hyperbole, though. I'm just feeling salty that I can't fulfill my Dankey Kang fix is all.

Tails1000

Smash Cadet
After seeing the mewtwo DLC, I have a little hope that we'll see a DK character in the future.
When I saw Mewtwo's trophy on the 3DS I didn't think he had a chance of returning. Now that he's back I have this hunch we could see either K rool or Dixie as DLC too (Since both of them also were only trophies).
And to add, I also a agree the franchise is grossly under-represented... Especially seeing it get revived in recent years with the Returns series. It's really a shame :/

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Except the DKC series is two decades old now. Rhythm Heaven is barely 6. I also would like to disagree that DK has more representation than Metroid, seeing as both have two characters but Metroid has more ATs as well as a stage boss. If anything Metroid edges DK out by a bit. Not by much - but it's there.
Rhythm Tengoku is 8 years old.

I think Dixie was probably the next character they would've worked on if there'd been time, and they didn't want to ruin her potential by making her a clone. She'll be DLC, I'd be prepared to put money on it.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'd like Cranky Kong to be playable since we need more senior representatives. Ganondorf barely counts as an old man kicking butt. We need more of old guys kicking butt. Too many whippersnappers running about. They need a whippin'. :p

Seriously though, I can count with my fingers how many characters I've played that were old and two of them technically aren't old: Sam Fisher - somehow he was de-aged in Blacklist -, Ezio Auditore, Old Snake, Big Boss - I don't remember his age in Peace Walker, but it'll count in The Phantom Pain -, and Auron since you can control him like the rest of the party during battle. Gregor from Awakening doesn't count since it's like ordering a unit to do stuff - this can contradict with Auron, but whatever. Neither does Sully from the Uncharted series since you can only play as him through multiplayer.

Then there's the infinite amount of youngins, immortals, bishonen, and kid heroes.

Last edited:

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say Nintendo hates the DK Franchise considering we got Tropical Freeze in Feburary. I do agree with there not being a DK assist trophy yet. I'd love to see Rambi as an AT.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nintendo does not hate Donkey Kong, and neither does Japan either. Actually, despite DK being 90% developed in the west its extremely popular in Japan as well. This entire thread gets numerous facts wrong.

"Pros" are positives for the DK franchise that go against each argument.
"Cons" are negatives for the DK franchise that somewhat agree with the argument, but not to nearly the extent people claim.

1.) DK's representation in Smash

Pros: DK has always been one of the most represented franchises in Smash, with tons of new content every game. DK has had two new stages in the past two games, a crapload of trophies, and Diddy Kong added in Brawl. The only franchise that gets more representation than DK that probably shouldn't is Kirby, but even then Sakurai prefers not to push his own franchise TOO much.

Cons: DK does, admittedly, have 8 versions of the same track in Smash Wii U, and absolutely NO Assist Trophies, which is ludicrous for a franchise so huge. Also, DK representation is crap in Smash 3DS. DK should've gotten a stage in Smash 3DS for sure, that right there is an absolutely travesty.

2.) DK is unpopular in Japan

Pros: This is completely and totally false. DK is extremely popular in Japan, and K. Rool is also one of the most requested characters based on everything we've been able to dig up. Miyamoto does not hate Donkey Kong, either, that was taken completely and totally out of context.

Cons: DK is less popular in Japan than in the West, but not by that much.

3.) DK's numerous series'

Pros: DK has a variety of sub-series. The "Donkey Kong" games aren't really part of the DK franchise, though, you don't even play as DK and DK is the antagonist. This doesn't really apply, and the other one, Mario VS. Donkey Kong, is basically just going back to the original "Donkey Kong" games and is an extension of those. The only other DK game NOT to include other characters from DK's cast of characters is the standalone Jungle Beat. Every other "sub-franchise" (not really) has a large variety of DK characters, in fact, K. Rool and Dixie both appear in the grand majority of them.

Cons: The "Donkey Kong" games are technically counted as DK games, even though they're not really. They're Mario games that feature DK. Donkey Kong VS. also applies to this. These and Jungle Beat are the only games not to feature other DK characters, but regardless, other DK characters still appear even in some Mario spinoff games.

4.) Donkey Kong Country Doesn't Sell as Well as Kirby

Pros: Completely and totally 100% FALSE. Kirby's Dream Land has sold 5 million copies to date, Donkey Kong Country has sold over NINE million, and is THE SECOND BEST selling SNES game of all time. DKC2 sold 4.35m and DKC3 sold 2.89m, under Kirby's Dream Land, but above both Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Super Star. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

Cons: Despite the fact that DK sells a lot better than Kirby, Kirby tends to get more attention in Smash Bros. Although it is true that Kirby is the next best-selling Nintendo franchise after DK. DK's spinoffs didn't do so well, but DK's main franchise vastly outsells Kirby in general.

5.) DK is a "Mario" character

Pros: DK has connections to the Mario franchise due to Donkey Kong, but overall DK has been a separate entity ever since he branched off in DKC. Donkey Kong and Mario never appear together in the main series, DK himself cameos in a variety of Mario spinoffs and there is one crossover series, but overall, DK is a completely separate franchise from Mario.

Cons: This argument is somewhat plausible.

6.) DK is Underrated

Pros: Um, seriously? Why are we going there at this point? How is DK "underrated" in any way, shape, or form? Honestly, the only reason DK's lifetime sales aren't even higher is because of the Rare buyout, putting DK into a rut for about 10 years where he was focusing on spinoffs.

Cons: There's some DK haters due to Rare leaving, but otherwise, I don't really get this argument at all.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I agree with everyone who said that hate is the wrong word.

DK's presence in Smash is a bit lackluster... although 3 stages in nothing to sneeze at! Their are plenty of series, like Metroid, Star Fox and even Earthbound who have received similar treatment.

I will always have a place in my heart for DK, and dream of the day it is overrepped in Smash, but the series is no worse off than similar selling IPs.

Nintendo don't hate DK. They've given it a lot to work with; it isn't until recently they realised they had already perfected the formula.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because the DKC games weren't made in Japan

It's a Gaijin game

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I agree with everyone who said that hate is the wrong word.

DK's presence in Smash is a bit lackluster... although 3 stages in nothing to sneeze at! Their are plenty of series, like Metroid, Star Fox and even Earthbound who have received similar treatment.

I will always have a place in my heart for DK, and dream of the day it is overrepped in Smash, but the series is no worse off than similar selling IPs.

Nintendo don't hate DK. They've given it a lot to work with; it isn't until recently they realised they had already perfected the formula.
DK's presence in Smash is a little lackluster, there's certainly things the series is definitely missing. But I hate how people act like DK has been getting the shaft since the start, since honestly, its one of the best treated franchises overall. And this is coming from someone who absolutely expected K. Rool to be in the game at one point.

DK's presence in Smash 3DS is the only one that's incredibly lackluster, although a lot of franchises got similar treatment... DK is probably the top contender for a new character from an existing franchise, with two extremely iconic Nintendo characters still absent from being playable in Smash Bros., along with a serious lack of items/AT's, but its still got pretty good representation overall, in fact its one of only three franchises to have at least three stages (seriously, not even Pokemon has a third stage).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That was priceless. :laugh:

I believe it has to do with the lull DK went through in the early 2000s after the Rare buyout. (Isn't it said that Diddy wasn't added in Melee because of the rights confusion?) When Brawl came around, all other franchises had shiny new games under their belt, while DK only had the weird Jungle Beat, and the comparatively lackluster Paon games.

It has only been 4 years since Returns came out. DK's dark age has ended but it's still going to be a while before it reaches the glory of its SNES heydays. And largely because of that, I imagine Sakurai did not have as much pressure to include more DK content.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That was priceless. :laugh:

I believe it has to do with the lull DK went through in the early 2000s after the Rare buyout. (Isn't it said that Diddy wasn't added in Melee because of the rights confusion?) When Brawl came around, all other franchises had shiny new games under their belt, while DK only had the weird Jungle Beat, and the comparatively lackluster Paon games.

It has only been 4 years since Returns came out. DK's dark age has ended but it's still going to be a while before it reaches the glory of its SNES heydays. And largely because of that, I imagine Sakurai did not have as much pressure to include more DK content.
I'd have to agree with this. Had Rare not been bought out, Diddy would've been in Melee and K. Rool in Brawl. Not much we can do about it but push to get all our favorite DK characters back and potentially ask for DK DLC characters.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
DK is probably the top contender for a new character from an existing franchise, with two extremely iconic Nintendo characters still absent from being playable in Smash Bros., along with a serious lack of items/AT's, but its still got pretty good representation overall, in fact its one of only three franchises to have at least three stages (seriously, not even Pokemon has a third stage).
I'd say three extremely iconic characters. I really think everyone underestimates Cranky's odds, especially now that he's been bumped up to playable status. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if such a thing existed, Sakurai's "DK Priority List" would go 1) Dixie, 2) Cranky and 3) K. Rool.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
I'd say three extremely iconic characters. I really think everyone underestimates Cranky's odds, especially now that he's been bumped up to playable status. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if such a thing existed, Sakurai's "DK Priority List" would go 1) Dixie, 2) Cranky and 3) K. Rool.
Actually you bring up a good point. If Sakurai is looking for new gameplay, Cranky could conceivably fit in as a character with infinite pogo jumps off the ground.

Dixie could have a third jump that gives her a small bit of vertical recovery, and puts her in a hover/glide mode much like Peach's umbrella.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually you bring up a good point. If Sakurai is looking for new gameplay, Cranky could conceivably fit in as a character with infinite pogo jumps off the ground.

Dixie could have a third jump that gives her a small bit of vertical recovery, and puts her in a hover/glide mode much like Peach's umbrella.
Except that infinite jumps off the ground is extremely OP. And that's really the only unique thing Cranky brings to the table. Sonic could've done the exact same thing, Pac-Man could've, and another character who uses that as a primary attribute... Ridley. Yes, any of these characters can do the exact same thing Cranky does.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Except that infinite jumps off the ground is extremely OP. And that's really the only unique thing Cranky brings to the table. Sonic could've done the exact same thing, Pac-Man could've, and another character who uses that as a primary attribute... Ridley. Yes, any of these characters can do the exact same thing Cranky does.
Alright. Ok. My apologies. Was just throwing something out there. I'm not a game designer by any means so it wasn't meant to be a serious suggestion.

Top Bottom