• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does jiggs still die from shield breaks?

GONZLAMM

Smash Apprentice
can anyone explain the rationale behind this? WHY is it still in smash? to my knowledge no other character in smash 4 has this unfair disadvantage. i was thinking ok she has her down b and can kill most players at 70+ BUT so can alot of the other fighters. i really just dont understand the logic behind keeping this in. bowsers down b insta breaks my shield and marth and lucina can 1 shot with side b if my shield is already kinda low. im sure other characters can do the same to me but thats off the top of my head.

so yea what the heck sakurai?

PeachPlumPear

Smash Cadet
1. It's funny and Jigglypuff was for comic relief at first.
2. You're basically dead if your shield breaks past a certain point anyways, so you shouldn't be having your shield broken on any character regardless.
3. It's cute.

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
Considering how buffed spot dodge and rolls it's not that much of a problem.
I'm pretty sure I've punished an obvious shield breaker with a ROLL towards them and rest.

That said, characters that overall destroy your shield with all attacks are pretty tough. Damn Bowser...

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
Probably not intentional, but it also gives a visual countdown that allows for a neutral third player to record online matches for tournaments.

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
If it makes it any better, Jigglypuff's opponent is basically dead if their shield breaks at 50+% (maybe even lower) because they'll have to eat a Rest.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It's part of her balance. She's the Anti-Little Mac; Amazing in the air, pathetic on the ground. And guess where the only place you can use shields is.

Folt

Smash Ace
It's part of her balance. She's the Anti-Little Mac; Amazing in the air, pathetic on the ground. And guess where the only place you can use shields is.
Or you could say that Little Mac is the Anti-Jigglypuff once her niché was found.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
But But But.. Meta Knight can shield in the air! he glides to run, and he can shield while running. META KNGHT IS STILL BROKEN:troll:

Ok serious Balloon Pokemon

Judo777

Smash Master
yea it barely matters. Jiggs is the lightest character in the game. If her shield is broken at like 35% against the characters that can shield break, she is dead anyways. In brawl she was dead for missing a rest above 15% against ganon.

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Jigg's shield is bigger than other shields. That combined with not overusing it should keep you safe from ever having it broken, with the exception of trying to take a :4marth: or :4lucina: neutral B. If you see them charging shieldbreaker, literally just don't go in. Roll, dodge, even just take off shield and get hit normally. You can survive the normal hit at some percents, but you die immediately if you try and shield it. If it's a tipper, I'm pretty sure even if you power shield it still breaks.
Also, you CAN take a :4bowser: down B to the shield, but it cuts it close. Don't try and sit with your shield up for more than a second and wait for the attack to hit you. But, generally, you should be spot dodging those anyways. Spot dodge and rest depending on yours and his %s. If he's low and you're high, you'll just do some % to him and he'll come down and side smash you. If he's high, just kill him. If you're both low, the rest can be beneficial since bowser can't do as much damage as rest can with the one attack he gets from your sleep time. But, it can also just be better to get off a smash attack for some safe % on him.
I'm not sure why I kept typing.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Simple answer: Jiggs was originally conceived as a joke character so having her die upon shield breaking was hilarious for the developers. They still find it funny to this day.

Anyways, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me since a good Jigglypuff spends like 98% of the match on the air.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
i'm not really having a problem with shield breaks, it didn't happen in brawl so i wasn't used to it at first so early on it happened like 3 times. it doesn't happen any more.

JAK21

Smash Cadet
Me and a few friends were playing around with Smash for Wii U last night, and one of the things we were testing out were the shield/shield break. Jigglypuff gets insta-death even at 0%, we all wondered the same thing or if it were some king of glitch or something.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
if there's something completely level directly above jigglypuff that she cannot pass through, she'll just stay hitstunned on it for a few seconds and then come back down to the ground dazed. So it's not always an instant death. (try it out in the great cave offensive or palutena's temple.

Top Bottom