• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does it take forever to play a random person online?

K 2

Smash Lord
The title says it all: Why does it take forever to play a random person online? I'm new to online play since I finally got highspeed wireless internet a few days ago. I only have two friends added and they are never on. Whenever I try to play anyone, I select my character, select my stage, and wait an eternity for someone to show up, I've always just dropped out after waiting 5 minutes and having no one show up. Is this normal? or is something wrong with my internet/wifi connection? I can play against friends with very little lag. Is there anyway to join a random match without having to wait forever?

Thanks

K 2

Smash Lord
Also, how do you change the rules in only anyone matches? I prefer to play stock over timed matches, but I can't seem to be able to change it to stock instead of default 2 minute matches.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
yes it takes all eternity.i use to play it.i would fall asleep then when i woke up it would still be looking for players,sometimes they even sub in computers.i suggest you dont play it anymore.the ultra lag and rules messes up your game.The rules are wrong its suppose to be team attack on,and stock battles and no you can not change the rules. Just make get some friend codes here or use the friend finder then battle "with friends". "with anyone" sucks

K 2

Smash Lord
ok thanks a lot. I wasn't sure if with anyone was screwy or if my wii/internet was screwy. Thanks again, you were very helpful.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Takes a while to find a random person to play mainly because Brawl's online just isn't that great. The friend code matches are better but even then there can be some lag.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
With anyone team battle seems 2 work better 4 me.
I want to see you say that again after constantly getting a teammate that only plays C.Falcon and constantly spams the "show me your moves" taunt, the only reason I don't find any other spammed taunt annoying in particular is because it's hard to play well when its a freaking 2vs1 fight.

S2

Smash Lord
Brawl isn't dying, it's simply that players know the "with anyone" section is completely garbage and most people play strangers through FCs.

Yeah, blame the matchmaking servers (I believe it's gamespy)... since that's all they do. Brawl matches aren't done on dedicated servers, the servers only exist to match people up... they aren't hosting.

So Brawl's online is actually pretty good on FC's if both players have very good internet connections. I could give a whole speech on how the technical aspects of putting a fighting game online makes it much harder than something like an FPS... but I'll just say that compared to most online fighters, Brawl's lag is actually much lower than average.

Besides, "With anyone" offers only 1 type of ruleset, time mode. Which even since the N64 days was never near as popular as stock.

Even as a competitive player, I love to just play FFA every once and a while. Even with items on. But not on time mode. I can play stock FFAs for hours, but I'm bored after about 15 minutes on time.

Top Bottom