• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does everyone hate Ike? (Discussion Over)

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
As Tenki said, a lot of people thought he was amazing because of his killing power. I post at a Fire Emblem board, and when Brawl was released here, people there went CRAZY over him. (Ironically, nobody cared about Marth beyond Ike > Marth posts.)

Then there's the fact that people cling to his stupid quotes like they're the second coming of your god or a lack of one.

Then there's the fact that he is (was) incredibly popular in those first days, and I swear that for at least two weeks straight, there was always at least one Ike player in my WiFi battles; two or three wasn't unusual, either. ALL of them played the same scrubby way. I don't mean to insult people's playing styles (well I just did), but honestly, if you just played a level 9 Ike + all of the scrubby players, you'd know at least half of what Ike could pull off.

THEN there's the fact that this board sucks. Not to troll or anything, but most threads that I click when I make my once a week trip to this board degrade into a flamewar full of pointless arguments and Rok the Reaper. They're terrible, and if you're looking to get any real hope from Ike players, this isn't the place to go.

I'm not excusing those who mock Ike players who actually try to play him effectively... but I am saying that the ratio of noobish players to Ike players with a decent strategy is vast compared to most characters, based off of my own personal experience.
I can't really find any good Ike players myself. I only know a few.

KHSteve

Smash Rookie
I never encounter any Ike hate. This is probably because the people I play with aren't nuts, and realise that Ike is horrible in really quite a lot of respects. (Knockback is something Ike certainly has in abundance, but that's obviously not going to win the day by itself). That and they've learned2spotdodge.

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
i was on the ike forums and playing when the *** version was launched. bak then ike was great since most people didnt know ikes range power or knock bak potential. Now i only know a couple ike players besides myself who still play him and a re good.

Fire Blazer

Smash Cadet
I don't like when people say Ike is easy to use. Yes, he is easy to use against CPU's who will fall right into his Fsmash. And then when they play me, they are unable to touch me unless it is MetaKnight or a few other characters-- underestimation of the range of his Usmash, forgetting about his Ftilt (is that what it's called? His non-smash forward a...) and thinking that they can outplay Ike by using speed, when his neutral air, quick draw, and A combo are all either fast moves or don't have extreme delays (unless QD hits, which it usually doesn't.)

In addition, they'll fall right into any Aether recovery tricks, RAR, dashing Usmash, and since FE character's throws suck, they won't expect much out of them when I combo them right after with Aether/A Combo and get 60 damage on them.

It doesn't matter who they are talking about, if they try and diss out a character there will always be someone to outplay them and show them wrong. Even Link in all of his nerfed abilities.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Ike isnt that bad I think he has alot of potential and people need to stop hating on him.
Ike is in my golden trio along with Lucas and Zelda
I win all the time with Ike and Im not even a pro....but I still lose alot too....so its about even.
I just know how to use him really well.
I try to learn new things about Ike everyday(playing against Ikes in free for alls online is a good learning experience)
But I have played a very very very good Ike.
I was Lucas(which Im very good with) and was going against Kashi's Ike(One of the best Ive ever seen)
and his style with Ike was amazing and different. Pretty much while I was PK firing, doing Nairs/Dairs and trying to space,his Ike would just dodge, shield and avoid patiently....and when he saw an opening he punished me.Usually when I play an Ike they r offensive and spam smashes. So I think Ike is best used defensively and you have to have patience. It may be boring but u can win against faster characters this way.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
"noob character" and "rigged" and "overkill" all the time.
Sounds like your friend is mad that he just got pwnt by the laggiest, heaviest, and least projectile resistant char with no good edge game...

everyone else just hates his laggy moves... but it is still satisfying to gimp someone with Fair...

Roager

Smash Ace
Sounds like your friend is mad that he just got pwnt by the laggiest, heaviest, and least projectile resistant char with no good edge game...

everyone else just hates his laggy moves... but it is still satisfying to gimp someone with Fair...
Did you really just say that Ike has a ****ty edge game? Now, I'm not competitive, so I'm sorry if I'm being scrubby, but Ike has one of the best edge games in Brawl, IMO.

Why? Aether. I know it sounds nublish and scrubby. But it's actually way the hell more useful than i realized until i mained him. The fact that he hits people before he goes to them helps prevent edgeguarding. Yes, a smart player wouldn't wait at the edge, they'd rather stay back, until Ike is vulnerable. But as long as Ike grabs the edge, it's not that big a problem. And if Ike ledgehops a QD, he might be able to take advantage of the (relatively) lagless landing and get some momentum going.

Plus, he's a great edgeguard. He has 4 spikes, (Aether, D-air, Eruption, and D-tilt) which, together, cover most recoveries, even if not used to spike. Aether if they go over you. Eruption if they attack you directly (super armor + explosion = edgeguard), D-tilt if they go for the edgegrab, and d-air, whenever you'd rather throw it in in place of something else. There's also some other edge options, but i don't want to go into them.

Sure, the distance of his recovery is pretty bad, and Olimar and DDD have it way too easy gimping his QD, but he's heavy enough that he can usually put up a good enough fight.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^no... In a game where people can fly, shoot lasers across the stage, juggle you to the kill zone and come back, Ike has a horrible edge game.

This thread needs to die the discussion is becoming redundant and it was actually kind of stupid in the 1st place. The actual answer to this is because there are more scrubs out there than skilled people. Someone with out the knowledge of brawls metagame will find Ike to be awesome and broken.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
^no... In a game where people can fly, shoot lasers across the stage, juggle you to the kill zone and come back, Ike has a horrible edge game.
I wouldn't say "horrible", nor "bad", but certainly not "stellar". Not going to debate.

This thread needs to die the discussion is becoming redundant and it was actually kind of stupid in the 1st place.
Yes indeed, I just needed an answer from the only pros/higher-ups I knew/could get through to and was in an extreme state of frustration. It's cooled off now.

The actual answer to this is because there are more scrubs out there than skilled people. Someone with out the knowledge of brawls metagame will find Ike to be awesome and broken.
Awesome, perfect, and down-to-earth straightforward answer. I'll shut up about it forever now and never let it get to me again.

Draconian

Smash Cadet
I've heard both sides of the argument, and I think it's getting a little rediculous sometimes.

Ike is slow? His jumps and run speed are decent, and most all of his attacks, save for smash attacks, are quick enough to catch most before shielding.

His final smash is too powerful/weak? People, it has a range of like, a meter. IF it really concerns you so much, than evade and shoot at a range the best you can. I do understand that if he catches you with the blade, then you're in trouble.

If you're so dumb you can't avoid a smash attack that, no exaggeration, almost takes a full second to perform, then perhaps the user of Ike is not the nub/noob/n00b.

I won't touch on Wi-fi because I don't play there, only with my friends next to me, so whatever lag tactics exist... I can offer no words of honest experience.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Did you really just say that Ike has a ****ty edge game? Now, I'm not competitive, so I'm sorry if I'm being scrubby, but Ike has one of the best edge games in Brawl, IMO.

Why? Aether. I know it sounds nublish and scrubby. But it's actually way the hell more useful than i realized until i mained him. The fact that he hits people before he goes to them helps prevent edgeguarding. Yes, a smart player wouldn't wait at the edge, they'd rather stay back, until Ike is vulnerable. But as long as Ike grabs the edge, it's not that big a problem. And if Ike ledgehops a QD, he might be able to take advantage of the (relatively) lagless landing and get some momentum going.

Plus, he's a great edgeguard. He has 4 spikes, (Aether, D-air, Eruption, and D-tilt) which, together, cover most recoveries, even if not used to spike. Aether if they go over you. Eruption if they attack you directly (super armor + explosion = edgeguard), D-tilt if they go for the edgegrab, and d-air, whenever you'd rather throw it in in place of something else. There's also some other edge options, but i don't want to go into them.

Sure, the distance of his recovery is pretty bad, and Olimar and DDD have it way too easy gimping his QD, but he's heavy enough that he can usually put up a good enough fight.
1. you can grab ike out of aether. the sword tells you the exact spot he will be in the next moment...

2. eruption doesent spike... but it sounds fun to use at edges ill try it anyway...

3. you have to be pretty accurate to spike with dair... then again ike doesent need to spike with a good timed n-air or fair... or you can charge a f-smash while your opponent is climbing (chars climb at high percentages%.)

If you're so dumb you can't avoid a smash attack that, no exaggeration, almost takes a full second to perform
acctualy for its range U-smash is pretty fast. its pretty much F-smash that takes almost a full second... but its worth is in for the tip blowback on heavy chars and that cannon noise and the sounds of the people watching going "ohhh what!".

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
eruption doesent spike... but it sounds fun to use at edges ill try it anyway...
List of Ike's meteor smashes:

Down Tilt. Ike crouches and sweeps his blade forward along the ground. A strong meteor smash with great range, yet quite slow.

Down Aerial. Ike thrusts his blade below him. The entirety of the blade meteor smashes anyone who are hit at the initial thrust. Also has a long, disjointed range.

Up B. Meteor smashes with the downwards slash, similar to Kirby's Final Cutter.

Neutral B. Meteor smashes if opponent is underneath, and gets hit by the tip.

_water

Smash Rookie
Because they're bad enough that they have to wait and stand while an f smash or eruption hits them.

raph21

Smash Rookie
same **** happens to me dawg, ppl say its the sword xDDD i say u get no sympathy from me lol

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
If they could just increase his speed by 1.2 of this speed. That would give him the game.
Anyway, I think most people hate Ike mainly because they can't deal with him, and then they get sore and call him overpowered. Ike is really just an average at best. As a matter of fact, i think he would be on the lower tiers. There is no reason to really hate him. If you cant dodge an Fsmash, you need to work on your shielding.

Top Bottom