• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does everyone call mario a beginner character?

viparagon

Smash Ace
Seriously.
how many players do you know that either don't play very well or much at all pick mario?
No! the friends I bring over usually go mk, ike(duh), samus, kirby, lucario, pit, link, or toon link.

very few beginners actually use Mario, but because he is "simple to use", people dismiss him as a beginner character.

Thoughts?
(please don't say "he's balanced" b/c they're are alot of balanced characters (captain falcon, lucario, fox, falco, and lucas to name a few)

viparagon

Smash Ace
but thats the thing NOONE picks him up. I see more C falcon than mario. And i am so tired of destroying my noob friends ikes

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario is the "standard" character. Thus, he has no easy exploits besides the fact that all his moves are balanced to the point where you all use them equally.

This would make him come off as "easy to use" when it's in fact the very opposite. He's plenty hard to use against other good players and quite hard to master as well. This actually is why no one uses Mario because he's not a character that can easily take down another character. Essentially, you have to have a complete understanding of his moves and techniques before you can win consistently.

G&W seems to be more the beginner character, honestly.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Lol...The Melee boards had this same question...

I honestly don't know how to answer this question. But, they probably carried on the tradition from previous games Mario was in. Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Mario Golf...Each game classified Mario as a "Beginner Character" or he's in the "Beginner's Class" or just referred as "Yeah. Mario's for beginners."

It sickens me to hear or see it that way. But I mean...We can't change it. :ohwell:

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Mario helps teach you the basics with his moveset that introduces many aspects of Brawl's gameplay. Mario is good for learning how things work, but he also is a very good character as well. Mario is a good beginning character for players new to the game but he isn't exactly easy to pick up. Mario is very good at high levels of play but his balanced, well-rounded structure doesn't make that obvious. Mario incorporates both basic and advanced gameplay with his very vestile moveset.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You know, I've been told that out of all the characters my friends and I regularly play against (Marth, ROB, Metaknight, Lucario, Ike, Falco, Fox), my Mario is unpredictable, because Mario has many ways to utilize his moveset to different situations.

That alone tells me that Mario isn't a "beginner character".

Mario has an answer to everything in the game. Problem is, his answers aren't absolute.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
You know, I've been told that out of all the characters my friends and I regularly play against (Marth, ROB, Metaknight, Lucario, Ike, Falco, Fox), my Mario is unpredictable, because Mario has many ways to utilize his moveset to different situations.

That alone tells me that Mario isn't a "beginner character".

Mario has an answer to everything in the game. Problem is, his answers aren't absolute.
We need a better way to define a "beginner character", Mario is good for beginners to learn the game but the problem is that people end up thinking that's all he's good for.

Matt07

Smash Master
I dunno Mario has a little bit of everything basically, he can handle different situation quite well, and can adapt pretty good. It's just his tournament placings aren't quite high, so people would think he's a beginner character because maybe some think he can't compete in tournaments?

Dory

Smash Journeyman
sure mario is a start up character (according to people who dont main him)... but ill rather to use "a start up character" than be gay and win with broken a** characters that everyone knows are broken (i.e. MK, G&W, D3, Snake)

so im pretty sure the people are saying what they say about mario are the same people who main gay tier >.> lol
so who cares what they say.... when the lose to a mid tier or "start up character" while theyre top tier just adds to the satisfaction of winning =)
love all you mario mainers who get through this =)

viparagon

Smash Ace
yeah, but how many reeal beginners do you guys know that use mario? Its ussually marth, ike, and MK in my experience

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Here in Ga? None. I'm the only Mario main in Melee here in GA period but in Brawl, nobody else plays Mario. Probably fool around with him, but that's it. I actually MAIN the guy without anybody telling me he's a beginner character. They know who I am. lol xD

xoxokev

Smash Lord
I don't know anyone that calls Mario a beginner character... As with everyone else, I agree that beginner characters = Top Tier characters...

I don't see why you're complaining... obviously, only uneducated players think Mario is for beginners

viparagon

Smash Ace
people are missing the point. I'm not asking whether or not mario is an EASY character per se, but one that beginners use alot. link, ike, and samuss=/=top teir, but many beginners (who don't get competitive ) tend to go with them. so what i'm asking is if anyone new at the game tend to go sith him

Top Bottom