• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you use who you use?

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
:025: Pikachu because Pokemon is my favourite Nintendo Franchise, and I had to choose a character to learn the fundamentals, so I chose him in 64, Brawl and now smash 4

:037: Fox because I used him a little bit in brawl, and is now my secondary in smash 4 since his and Pikachu´s play style and damage racking is somewhat similar, and he covers some of the match ups my Pikachu struggles with.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I also like to use:4duckhunt:, because they are extremely adorable and their game was fun (albeit frustrating) back in the day. :4villagerf: because of how random her moveset is, there is all sorts of weird stuff in her "pocket", which gives her quite the unpredictable moveset. :4peach: cus turnips and great aerials, plus her side taunt is the best, :4pacman: because nostalgia and throwing keys and hydrants at others faces is fun.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Playing villager is like painting with Bob Ross. Everything you do is a happy little accident.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
:4pacman: because I love Pacman and his games (aside from the new ones) -- namely Ms. Pacman. I was so excited to see him in the game because he (along with Bowser Jr.) are characters that I've wanted in Smash since middle school. Also, hearing that he was a good character from guys like M2K encouraged my to play him more.

:4littlemac: I've just always wanted him in and I'm happy to see what they've done with him.

:4duckhunt: He's one of the only character I can gain wins with in For Glory (I'm not that good). Plus, he's really funny and tricky to play with.

:4robinm: What a dope character. He's unique and she helped me learn quite a bit about Smash because he's quite a difficult character to master. I wasn't excited to see her in the trailer, but now I'm so happy that he's in. I just wish that she didn't have to share the roster with the likes of Lucina.

:drmario: (Project M) because Project M is what I was using to practice playing at a more competitive level and Mario is supposed to be an easier character to learn (the easiest and the series) so I played a lot of Mario. Eventually, I grew fond of the Dr. Mario skin.

:rob: I don't know. I was always just pretty good with ROB in Brawl. He's a robot. Cool. I never liked his character -- he's not even a character -- so I wouldn't be mad if he got cut one day. Still, he was always my character to use.

:olimar: Pikmin is one of my favorite series and seeing that he was fairly high-tier got me excited. Very powerful and quick.

Last edited:

Dairantō Smash Brothers

Smash Historian
NNID
UltraMariio
3DS FC
2638-0093-3000
Most ofthe characters I use I like to use because I like to play as them, as they're pretty fun to use in my opinion. These characters for me would be :4bowser:,:4lemmy:,:4dedede:,:4tlink:,:4greninja:,:4gaw:,:4ness:,:4myfriends:,:4drmario:,:4mario:,:4luigi:,:4zss:,:4wario:,:4pacman:,:4kirby:,:4dk:,:4pikachu:, :4pit:,:4darkpit:.:4rob:,:4duckhunt:, :4villager:, and :4sonic:. Yeah, I like to use a lot of people. xP

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
:4yoshi:: My favorite videogame character. His voice and childish personality are seriously adorable, not to mention his silly expressions.

:4robinf:: Robin's magic is very powerful, along with her Levin Sword. The fact that both are limited give her a strategic feel to it. She also has better lines than male Robin.

:rosalina:: Controlling both her and Luma is tricky, but also surprisingly fun.

:4kirby:: Kirby's moveset is pretty fun.

:4jigglypuff:: Began playing as her after a friend challenged me to do it. Rest KO best move.

Last edited:

WhuTom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-9000-8776
From SSB64 and SSBM I mained Link because apart from the Mario Bros franchise LoZ was by far and away my favourite Nintendo series.

I started maining Marth because to my 15 year-old self playing Melee weeks before the release of Brawl back in March 2008, I came to the stark conclusion that I wasn't going to get much better at the game just playing Link vs CPUs 24/7, so I had a peek online, saw that the overwhelming consensus was that Marth is much better than Link benefits from far greater mobility and less predictable spacing and air approaches which I felt were ideal for me to learn and step up in skill for the new game. He quickly became my best fighter.

Feeling somewhat disillusioned by the talk of Marth getting nerfed for SSB4 I considered picking up other characters and have now stumbled onto Captain Falcon and Bowser Jr. CF is just so satisfying to play at times, I can't find words for it, and Bowser Jr caught my eye in a spectator match I watched where someone basically trolled the hell out of the opponent for a stock before wiping the floor. I thought "I could piss my mates off with him!" and have taken him up since.

I could probably say I main CF, Marth and Bowser Jr in descending order of frequency now.

Dragonhunter970

Smash Apprentice
NNID
dragonhunter970
3DS FC
3368-2516-8545
Lucina, because I maimed marth in brawl and no tip. But I think marth should have been considered BUFFED in ssb4

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
:4littlemac: Huge fan of Punch Out! since pre-Brawl era. I feel I missed out on this franchise when I was a kid, I must have overlooked it because back then it seemed like a generic boxing game. Boy was I wrong. It was also made by the genius minds behind my favorite and most nostalgic Nintendo game, StarTropics.

:4sonic: Fan of Sonic the Hedgehog since 1991. His new design appeals to me much more than his Brawl middle-mouth design. He's one of my most nostalgic videogame characters, and he's the sole reason why I skipped the 32-bit / 64-bit era. I was just fine replaying the classics over and over and over.

:4megaman: Another one of my top nostalgic characters, and arguably my current favorite (because :4sonic:'s games have started to stink now). Classic is my favorite incarnation of the Blue Bomber, and I couldn't be happier that he represents 8-Bit Megaman so well.
It's also a way of playing a Megaman game after the whole mess that he went through with Capcom.

:4samus: One of my favorite Nintendo IPs since 2009, I decided that I wanted to main Samus in EVERY Smash Bros. game. And I use a different colored Samus for each, just to get used to their differences faster.
SSB64: Default (Because she's simple to use, yet a bit underpowered)
Melee: Pink (Because she's much more powerful, like in Zero Mission)
Brawl: Gravity (Because I abuse Zair, as if it were Super Metroid).
P:M: Dark Suit (Because I can change beams like in Metroid Prime)
SSB4-3DS: Light Suit (Because she reminds me of Metroid 2 Samus in that white pallette, and SSB3DS is portable as well).

:4rob: I didn't quite love him back in Brawl, but I mained him anyway, because his blue pallette reminded me of NAV-COM from StarTropics (again, my favorite and most nostalgic Nintendo franchise). And because his moveset was easy to pick up and adapt to. Also, robots are cool.

:4duckhunt: He's nostalgic, and he's a lot of fun. Plus, it's freaking DUCK HUNT! The game that came with my first videogame ever! So in a way, it's the 1st/2nd videogame I ever owned. I currently suck at using him, but hopefully I'll get good with him.

:4zss: Because it's still Samus, and I love her.

:4shulk: With transformations gone, Monado Arts are the closest thing to that, so I'm really feeling it now. Plus, I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles, and I'm loving it too!

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I use King DeDeDe because I had a dream one night about eggs, and now I feel the need to use King DeDeDe.

I'm seriously not kidding. When Brawl first came out, I had a dream about eggs. And that made me want to use DDD. And I still use him with Sm4sh.

Chocobo Link

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4253-3960-6377
:4robinf:: I always seem to do best in Smash with characters that wield a melee weapon of sorts (with a couple exceptions) and seeing how she has a melee weapon (with two forms as well) and magic attacks, she's pretty much my ideal character

:4darkpit:/:4pit:: Their movesets are easy to learn and very fun

:4tlink:: He's from my favorite Zelda, the Wind Waker and he's my main in Brawl. I love his speed buff in this game (though I wish his down aerial bouncing off people thing was kept in, but eh)

:4jigglypuff:: After unlocking final Destination with her in Melee, I've found new respect for her, so I main her in Smash 64 and made her one of my counterpicks in this game

:4fox:: I didn't like him in any Smash games other than 64 (too fast for my liking), however, after getting him in a random character select, I find that he's just the right speed for me

:4marth:: Marth was my Melee main after several attempts at other characters (I was young and just wanted to beat my friend. Bowser, Young Link, and Mewtwo didn't cut it) as well as my Brawl main. I've always liked his design and his simple play style, being one of the easiest characters to pick up and play. He doesn't feel quite as good as the past games, but Marth is still my favorite (and, until Smash 4, only) character that I play.

:4rob:: ROB is a character that I passed over in Brawl but am enjoying playing with in SSB4. Overall, I think ROB is the most hilarious character in the entire game. His side-step, down tilt, up air, and side B crack me up whenever I play. The best thing about ROB is how the announcer says his name: He is so excited and happy sounding to call the robot and it really sets the mood for how the character's attacks look.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
:rosalina:: Who I wanted to main since I first saw her gameplay style, it was really really fun when I first tried her and I just kept doing well the first time I played her at smash fest. When I found out she was high tier I was somewhat disappointed and kind of annoyed, but still playing her it was just too much fun and I couldn't go back.

:4pikachu:: Really really fun, always enjoyed Pikachu, despite some people not liking him this time around I found that he's one of the funnest just to gimp people with.

Currently working on :4jigglypuff:,:4fox:,:4peach: and :4zss: and will probably do better with them in the Wii U version.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
:mario64::mariomelee::mario2::4mario: This is my list of characters I have mained throughout the games. Quite the diverse list, I know. Just went with him originally cuz i loved his games, in melee i liked how combo centric he was, brawl is when i truly learned to love the cape and the flood(despite its situational use, i was determined to find uses for it, and did to a degree), and so far in smash 4 I'm liking how he feels faster and has the fludd buffs, but really wishing he hadn't lost so much utility/damage aside from fludd from brawl to smash 4.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
i may as well play Random cause i bounce from character to character so much. but really the characters i played in the past tend to be because... as funny as it may sound. i pitied them.

it's an odd reason, but in every smash rendition i've played after being introduced to the smash community, i would play the characters that were not commonly used/were talked bad about (note:the bad mouthing was exclusive to people that i played with locally.) so in Melee i used :yoshimelee:, :nessmelee:, :mewtwomelee:, and even at one point i used :pichumelee:. eventually :linkmelee: became my Main because i've always liked Link, but in Brawl, :link2: was Bottom tier. so it kind of transitioned easily to my "pity picking". i kept :yoshi2:and :ness2: in Brawl as well.

of course this means I'm happy with this version of Smash, seeing as they have all gotten Buffed. and Yoshi has turned into a Pseudo-main for me, but now... with:4metaknight:being classified as one of the weaker characters on the roster, i just had to pick him up this time around. it's a complex relationship with me and smash. i love low tiers because i feel somewhere there is untapped potential in them that perhaps i can find, as delusional as it may sound. but this version of smash is the most balanced smash thus far, so i feel i could be onto something this time around.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
As for my whole background.

64 ERA!

:pikachu64: because I was very into Pokemon. Then I switched over to :ness64: because 1) I wanted someone with as many tools as Link or Fox, and the Yoyo + baseball bat reminded me of Mike Jones, so why the heck not? Plus, psychics were cool back then.
I casually used :luigi64: too, he always struck me as a boxer (and this before I even liked boxing characters),

Currently maining :dk64:+:samus64:

MELEE ERA!
Brought over :nessmelee:+:luigimelee: and added :foxmelee:+:younglinkmelee:+:roymelee:. Then I was introuduced to competitive smash, and I dropped :nessmelee::younglinkmelee::foxmelee:, and added :icsmelee:+:peachmelee:.

Currently maining :peachmelee:+:luigimelee:+:samusmelee:

BRAWL ERA!
Immediately mained :rob:+:sonic:+:pit:. Eventually, I dropped :pit: for :pt:. I gave up on :sonic: this year.

Currently maining :pt:+:rob:+:samus2:

P:M!

Currently maining: :pikachu2:+:mario2:+:roypm:+:samus2:

SSB4-3ds

Currently maining: :4littlemac:+:4sonic:+:4megaman:+:4samus:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
:4olimar:As a character, Olimar appeals to me greatly. He's a family man, he has a wife and kids, as apposed to either single, middle aged plumbers constantly chasing a princess, or young child/teenage protagonists full of angst. The Pikmin themselves are also extremely adorable, and they fit together perfectly. Having actually only played Pikmin 3, (which I loved), I still prefer Olimar over Alph greatly, because Olimar is far better of a character, even if my first experience with Pikmin was with Alph and co.
:4ness:When I first picked up Ness in Smash 64, I had never heard of EarthBound. I hadn't mistaken him for anyone else either, since he's Ness, from EarthBound. Exactly what it says on the tin. He interested me mainly for this reason, as he was something different, as opposed to the usual Mario character. Being the most unique character of the original 12 (recovery wise, anyway) helped a lot, as well. Though now, I've played through EarthBound and I do love the game, Ness is still a favorite.
:4gaw:Surprisingly, Mr. Game & Watch was the only Melee newcomer that got me super excited. Really? Yeah, I've always been big on video game history, and I had actually played many Game & Watch games prior to Melee. Does he really have a character that makes me attached to him, apart from the games? Well, not really. Though in this case, simplicity is the charm. Within Smash, he's portrayed as a simple 2D being that seems confused in this big, 3D world. He just tries to get along well enough.
:4pacman:Waka waka. Pac-Man was actually the first game I ever played, and memories of my dad playing the game may be a bit of bias on my part, but I do like Pac-Man as a character as well. In most incarnations, similar to Olimar, Pac-Man is portrayed as a family man, with a wife, kids, the whole shindig. Combined with a simplicity similar to Mr. Game & Watch, there's really a lot of charm packed into this yellow ball of a character. Sometimes, leaving things to the imagination helps the most.
:4kirby:How could I not love Kirby? He's cute, he's awesome, and he's got the simplistic charm as well! Also combined with a love for the series in general, there's just a lot going for him. Him trying to say actual words when copying some characters in Smash just adds to it.
:4metaknight:Cool, mysterious, yet still cute. He sometimes fights Kirby, but he always seems to be on his side, there's no telling with Meta Knight. Leave it to Sakurai to create such simple yet expressive characters.
:4dedede:What, we couldn't forget about the King, could we? He's a big oaf, and though he usually appears to be the bad guy, he's almost always just trying to stop a greater evil, albeit not in the best way. Dedede is even more expressive than Kirby, a truly amazing feat.
:4falcon:Similarly to Ness, Captain Falcon first appealed to me because of his contrast to the rest of the cast. There's also no denying that he's the embodiment of cool. Though I still have yet to play an F-Zero game, I still play the good Captain in Smash, and I'm always eager to show him my moves.
:4link:Of course Link would mostly just be a love of the Zelda franchise, since he is a silent protagonist, his courage and skill give him enough personality to be great on his own. Plus he has a pointy green hat.
:4robinf:As an avatar character, she surprisingly has a lot of characterization. Though Awakening was my first and only Fire Emblem game, and I did enjoy it, I play as Robin for a different reason entirely. Maybe it's the cool look, or the unique moveset. Something similar to why I enjoy Ness? Possibly, but it's probably because she's not Chrom.
:4palutena:Having played Uprising, and not particularly enjoying the gameplay, I did find myself itching to continue playing it, if solely for the brilliant character interactions. Though I like Viridi far more, Palutena was still a great character, and her translation into Smash fighter fits perfectly.
:4duckhunt:I have no connection with Duck Hunt at all, actually. I did play the original game, but I didn't particularly like it, and I hate hunting, and harming animals in general. Though Duck Hunt in Smash isn't like that at all, and is actually a very expressive trio. Most of my love comes from how they play, with a dash of retro flair, and tons of fourth wall breaking.
:4shulk:I've never played Xenoblade, and I don't know much about Shulk's personality, but his accent is glorious and I instantly needed to play as this character after I heard it. No regrets.

Honorable mention:
:snake:He really should be up there with Olimar, because he's my favorite character to ever appear in Smash. With the only MGS game I've played (so far) being Ground Zeroes, which I played because of Snake being in Brawl, there's not much bias towards the franchise, other than the large amount of research I've done into it. The lore of the series is really great, and the characters are all just amazing, with Snake himself taking the cake. Even in Brawl, he oozed personality with his Codec calls, even ignoring the fact that I love his playstyle, Snake is a character that I just like for being Snake. Kojima is truly a genius for creating the character, and credit has to be given to David Hayter for portraying him so well. This is a veteran that I sorely miss, and a character that I hope to once again play as in Smash as DLC. "Kept you waiting, huh?"

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
:4link: all the way. Been a Link main since Melee, despite his tier position. I don't do anything competitively, so I don't care if my main is terrible in tourneys. He's amazing, and I can usually play him really well.
Zelda is one of my favorite franchises, but I've been really disappointed in the direction the series is going. I loved the more adult games like Ocarina, Majora's Mask, and especially Twilight Princess. Another thing is that SSB Link is still a lefty, which really pained me when the Wii came out and Nintendo decided to change Link to a righty and not even include an option to play Link left-handed. Yeah, that's a petty reason, but we lefties don't have many hereos in the first place, so we need to keep the ones we do have.
Because of this, I also use :4zelda: as a secondary. She's amazing, and isn't the typical damsel-in-distress. I like that she can both wear a dress, and kick ***

Apart from those two, I use a bunch of characters that I like for other reasons. Either I like their series (:4ganondorf::mewtwomelee::pt:) or I just think the character himself is cool (:4robinm::4myfriends::4duckhunt::wolf::4falcon::4littlemac:)

Last edited:

pinkhairedprotagonist

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9004-1386
:4peach:My first main and forever my main, she's just a lot of fun with her turnip and floating shenanigans (and I love Mario games and peach)
:rosalina:Has a fantastic moveset and all around feels great, but could really use some nerfs (mainly on luma)(also love galaxy and Rosalina's story book in it)
:4shulk:Mainly because of xenoblade, but monado arts are tons of fun
:4zelda:Have you ever landed a lightning kick? Feels amazing. (Plus love Zelda)
:4robinf:Mainly FE:A, but the levin sword is super fun. Same for all the magic, though I'm not a fan of charged projectiles.
:4villager:Love for animal crossing combined with a really silly playstyle
:4duckhunt:Really cute and the closest I'm gonna get to snake unless he's dlc
:4ganondorf:The most satisfying of heavy hitters

Edit: also dedede and Pacman, while not go-to characters for me, are both amazing in their own ways

Last edited:

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Donkey Kong - Live Long, Hit Strong, Expand Dong.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
There hasn't been a single game where Captain Falcon hasn't been my favorite character. It's rare but actually landing a Falcon Punch is more satisfying than anything else in the game(s)

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
:4tlink:: I loved windwaker, it was my second favourite Zelda next to link to the past being first and the fact he has link to the past alt colour makes it even better.

:4littlemac:: he reminds me of the main protagonist from hajime no ippo, this was the best anime I watched and it inspired me about boxing & exercising :p

:4kirby:: I haven't played any of his games but I like how he feels when I play him.

:4luigi:: I used Luigi a lot in super mario bros 3 when I played with my big brother back in the day XD, I always felt that Luigi was underrated, I like his personality and his moveset.

:4shulk:: I haven't played Xenoblade but I find his play style interesting.

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
:4shulk:: Love his range, defensive playstyle, and especially his Monado Arts increasing his versatility.

:4megaman:: Despite being such a unique fighter, he clicked instantly with me in the demo.

:4robinm:/:4robinf:: Absolutely adore how I have two different yet very viable playstyles that I can switch between at any time according to the situation.
-----------------------------
:4falcon:: Who doesn't love the Falcon? He just feels so good to use in this game.

:4lucina:: I prefer her over Marth due to having more consistent damage and for being a strong female character in her own game.

:4mario:: I've always used this guy since 64 and always will.

:4pit:: Prefer him over DP. He's pretty versatile and easy to use this time around.
-----------------------------
:4fox:: Started using him more often, liking his rushdown options and small stature compared to Falcon.

:4charizard:: Figured I could use one powerhouse-type character.

:4tlink:: Contrary to most people I was exposed to this Link in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I liked him in Brawl and I like him now, even if I only use him every now and then.

:4villager:/:4zss:/:4littlemac:: Pretty much troll characters to me. I only use them in casual play.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
:4olimar: Being two of my favorite games back when I was a teenager, I played Pikmin and Pikmin 2 a lot when I had a Gamecube. He's also a character that I felt like people back when Brawl was released had ignored for the most part, probably because the Pikmin series isn't as popular as most other Nintendo series and, as a fighter, he has some odd mechanics that can be a bit overwhelming. I remember going to a friend's house with some of my friends to play Brawl semi-competitively, and I won a lot of matches with this dude. There's also the fact that I get to beat up other people--monsters, plumbers, princesses, bounty hunters, swordspeople, anime, old Nintendo products, etc.--as a diminutive spaceman with a green thumb and his army of living plants.

Now, I still play him for the same reasons above, but also because 1) reactions to his changes are mixed--some people say he's still good, some say he's nerfed but not to a point where he isn't competitive with other fighters, and a LOT say he's bad; and 2) he became really unpopular due to his changes and initial impressions, on top of his series being not really popular compared to others. I'm trying my best to do well with him and see if this supposedly bad character can compete with the rest of the cast, but with me being new to the competitive scene and being busy with real life things, it'll probably take some time.

Khao

Smash Lord
I always try to play characters that are enjoyable to play with, screw personalities or series, if I have fun with a character, I'll play it.

- Started maining this guy on the N64 before even knowing who he was, it just felt good playing someone with a sword. And he had two projectiles! There's pretty much nothing this dude couldn't do! I'm probably a Zelda fan right now thanks to playing as Link in Smash, I don't know if I would have ever gotten enough motivation to try the series if it wasn't for that. (probably yes, but it's fun to think that I wouldn't)

- I like Fire Emblem, but I'm far from being a fan and don't give any ****s about Marth as a character. But he just feels great, you know? The deal with the tipper feels like a completely different game, and it feels stupidly satisfying when you actually hit with it. Also, side B is one of my favorite moves in the whole series, not necesarily because of its utility, but I simply love the idea of having several different moves you can choose, that all combo into eachother inside a single big thing. It actually inspired a game idea I have that might go into development for real sometime next year.

- When Link started sucking badly in Brawl, I switched to this guy. It felt better in every way. I don't really like him in Smash 4, though. It's kinda weird, because he didn't change too much, but he changed in the exact same ways I wouldn't have wanted him to change. I'll forever miss that faster Bair.

- Fast, multi-hitting attacks? Multiple jumps? An arrow with a controllable path? Two reflector? ****ing flight? An absolutely genius weapon idea? Count me in. Pit's level of awesomeness is just too high. It only got better once they released Uprising, which became one of my instant favorite handheld games of all time.

I HAVE NO LUCAS ICON LOL - I'm still amazed that people treat Lucas as a Ness clone. I hate playing as Ness, but Lucas is super good. No awkward yoyo, no awkard wall of fire, no awkwardly slow green explosion, just plain no awkwardness whatsoever. Everything was replaced by a barrage of pure fun. And like with others, playing this guy got me into trying his game out, which coincidentally, I also loved.

- Let's be honest here, if you don't like Falcon, you're playing the game wrong. That's definitely a completely objective fact of life.

- A part of me feels like **** every time I choose this guy in For Glory, lol. But **** it, this guy is just exciting, you just feel invincible when playing Mac. Even if it's not real, it's a good feeling.

- Probably the one exception to my "screw personalities and origins, only fun characters allowed" rule. I actually do love Mega Man's moveset because of how insanely unique it is, but I probably wouldn't ever touch it if it wasn't ****ing Mega Man. I blame the perfect timing, I haven't actually been a Mega Man fan for too long, I got into the series nearly two years ago, played every single game in the classic, X and Zero series from start to finish (except for X7 and X8, **** those things) barely under two months and had the time of my life.

Next thing I know, he's announced for Smash in the next E3, holy ****. It almost felt like they added him for me haha, how could I not play as him?

MrChickenNipples

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4485-0725-3171
:kirbymelee: : I didn't really play melee competitively when I first got it a while ago, but I really liked Kirby's throw moves they were just cool to me, how he would fly up into the air and dunk you. Sometimes I'll play him in Smash 4 every now and then.

:4luigi: : I really like how Luigi feels, all of his attacks have a good feeling of impact, and I seem to be best with Luigi out of all the other characters

Fictatious

Smash Rookie
I use Pallutena cause she's just a likable character and a fun kit. On top of that she was my favorite character in kid Icarus because she was the smartest one in the game both in what she knew and in what she kept secret. There was a lot of information she held secret because she knew Pit would be reluctant to do certain things if he knew what was going to happen if he did.

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
Well, for R.O.B. I mainly started using him because personally think he's hilarious as a character. For some reason his u-air made me laugh for a while whenever I had seen someone use it, it just looks ridiculous. It's an added bonus that he's my best character, tbh. And I'm sorry lol but if this doesn't make you crack a smile then I don't know what will:

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Okay, story time!

Ever since the announcement of Pokémon X/Y I was one of the few people who wasn't immediatelly attracted to Fennekin, instead, I looked at the dorky-looking Froakie and decided to place faith on it, seeing how Oshawott in Black/White turned out to be my favorite Water starter upon reaching its final evolution. So I kept having faith Froakie would make such a turnaround, while most of my friends were riding the Fennekin train.

Then their middle evolutions came out and people were already raising eyebrows at Fennekin and Chespin's evolutions, while Froakie's was looking quite interesting and seemed to have a ninja motif. I like ninjas a lot as I've always been fond of characters that use trickery and sneaky tactics instead of just plain brute force to deal with their opponents, so my interest was certainly piqued.

Sometime after that, a leaked image Greninja showed up in the internet. I dismissed it as a fake since I didn't believe just Greninja would be leaked like that, but I did find the design very good when I saw it.

About two days before X/Y were released, I had kinda forgotten to see if the final evolutions of the starters had been revealed, so I decided to check it out. I was very surprised to see that Greninja was real and just seeing that made me smile wide, a ninja Pokémon as a starter looked like something that was made just to please me, especially since I usually go with the water starter in Pokémon. Meanwhile, Fennekin's final evolution, Delphox, became very divisive among the fandom, so I was glad that my faith in the little frog paid off.

When I actually played the game, my Greninja, who I named Teishi because yes I feel the need to name my Pokémon, was pretty much always very useful and had such a big selection of moves that I rarely had any issues when I used him, he being so useful only made me like the frog more and he quickly got among my favorite Pokémon.

Fast forward to the Nintendo Direct, school had been absolutely brutal on me and I had sucked away all of my good mood. The Direct was about to start and my friends were talking about it, so I decided to hop in and watch since I had nothing better to do. It was a very entertaining and fun experience that cheered me up a little. Then we got to the trailer at the end.

Like a lot of people, I fell for the trick of making Greninja look like Mewtwo in the trailer, my reaction to it was mainly a "Oh, so Mewtwo is coming back, good for his fans." since I didn't really care, but then I saw the giant Water Shuriken and I was stunned as it dawned on me, one of my friends even went "MOON ITS GRENINJA" on our chat because they just know I really love the frog. I never ever thought about the possibility of Greninja getting into Smash Bros and I prefer to not create many expectations in regards to the roster, so that reveal just blew me away completely. Seeing that Greninja not only could make water shurikens but also water swords that he can dual-wield just settled it and he became my favorite Pokémon on the spot.

The hype was never so real to me before. I never felt so hyped for a game ever since I saw that Direct and just the anticipation to being able to play with Greninja in Smash Bros made me cheer up completely and made me endure the rest of the school year better.

Once I actually got the game though, Greninja instantly clicked with me. He was fast, as expected, surprisingly strong with his attacks, he had a great recovery and his specials were so quirky and unique, he was everything I could want in a Smash Bros fighter and playing with him was just too fun for me to even try the other characters that had gotten me hyped before such as Megaman, Robin and Rosalina, to the point I think I spent an entire week playing exclusively with Greninja because he was just that fun to me.

So yeah, I have a bit of a personal connection with the ninja frog and he's probably a candidate for my favorite gaming character ever, which is not exactly something I expected to come from a Pokémon, but it is what it is. I love how creative Greninja's design in, I love his motif, I love his abilities, I love his playstyle in Smash and I love how amazing of a Pokémon it is in the actual Pokémon games, there's really nothing about it that I can complain about. Plus, Pokémon X was probably the game that carried me through 2014 since it was just such a good timesink until Smash came out.

tl;dr: I loved Greninja from the moment I saw it's design and seeing his trailer in Smash, as well as using it in Pokémon, was probably what made last year more bearable to me, so I have a personal bond with the fictional ninja frog.

SharpMcHappy

Smash Apprentice
I play characters I feel are fun characters outside of the Smash franchise as I feel like Smash's purpose is to take your favorite characters and beat the **** out of eachother, so I'm doing just that.

:4tlink: - Have you guys even played Wind Waker? This lil' dude was basically talking throughout the whole game without saying a single word. He also abandoned his own birthday party to go with a bunch of pirates to save his little sister as a 12 year old. That's pretty damn badass if I have to say so myself. He also stabbed Ganon in the head without giving a single ****. Oh and he's also in my favorite game of all time but that doesn't really matter, does it?

:4greninja: - He's a pretty cool character and just overall fun to play as, after seeing his trailer I really wanted to try him out and he's really fun to play as due to his speed.

:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: - Because who doesn't wanna fight Batman as their own grandma?

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
If Lucas had been in this game, i would've been talking about him in this post, but considering he isn't, Shulk's runner up.

My friend Axel the 8th was telling me about how he wanted Shulk in Smash, and at first i dismissed it as a nickname for Skull Kid from LOZ at the time. (before anyone goes off on me about this statement, lemme just say, i haven't looked into the Zelda franchise that much, literally the only games ive legit. played have been OOT and Link's awakening, it hasn't appealaed to me as much as other franchises, although i still like it)

A couple months later, Chuggaaconroy began lets playing Xenoblade Chronicles, back when Smash 4 was still in development, and i, being a fan of the guys LPs, began watching it. I was exposed to Shulk and learned who he was, and about Xenoblade's obscurity and fanbase (my friends had looked into it like Axel the 8th, and also educated me on it), and it intrigued me with it's story and characters, especially given how it reminded me of my favorite RPG of all time, Mother 3, with how different/unique it was compared to other Nintendo games and the unique things the story did (there are alooooooooooot of parallels between the 2 games, mostly story wise and with the real life situations of the games).

I liked Shulk as a character, and among RPG protagonists, he was one of the rare few i found was likable. The story of Xenoblade drew me in and i was hooked, eager to be watching a game that had interested me with characters who had actual depth and personalities which i hadn't seen in a Nintendo game since Mother 3, and eventually i jumped on the bandwagon of wanting Shulk for Smash Bros. 4.

And then came the Japanese livestream for Smash. Alot of people said they didn't expect anything new with it, and the infamous Shulk and Jr. leak came about a week earlier as all of you know. I personally thought something would be shown, but i didn't expect it to be Shulk. Then i woke up the next day and came to Smashboards, and i saw that Shulk had been revealed, and i was sooooooo hyped.

Smash 4 3DS got released, and i immediately began training with Shulk. Given how i'm good at using the swordsmen (mostly Ike and Marth, not Link much) and characters with decently large range concerning their attacks, i adjusted to his huge range attacks well, and accounted for the laggyness aswell (thanks Ike). The Monado Artes took a bit of time to figure out how to use them to their best ability, but given my impressive memory, i was able to memorize what button inputs it'd take for certain artes and how to recognize them easily.

When i first got Smash 4 and learned Lucas had been cut, i didn't think i'd ever be able to find someone to replace him as my main and that Bowser would basically become the closest thing to that in this game (i had lots of practice with him in Brawl, and i loved his playstyle). But after i put enormous time into Shulk, he felt...so natural, and so usable, and i had a legit. connection to his character. I loved using him, and he felt so fun to play as and everything. Shulk was basically the perfect and best replacement for Lucas i could've asked for, and he even fit the Obscure/Awesome character motif that Lucas once held. And thus, i became a Shulk main, and i never looked back.

As much as i missed Lucas as my main, Shulk is easily the best character i could've asked for to replace him. I have a bond with his character itself, his journey/story, and love his playstyle. Monado Boy is amazing, and i'm glad he's here to stand alongside fellow Nintendo All Stars. He deserves it.

Last edited:

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
:4villager: - Villager has been my favorite newcomer in the whole series (besides Olimar), and I love Animal Crossing. It's even better his playstyle is well suited to camping, spacing, and zoning which is right up my ally. I use Blue, or Blue/Yellow striped girl.
:4wiifit: - This was originally my "joke" character, I thought she was awful and I only used her to piss people off online, but she... grew on me. I started to really enjoy her derpy playstyle, and so she's kinda my sub now. I use Green (Wii Fit U).

:4olimar: - Been a huge fan of Pikmin since it came out. Olimar will always be around in my book. I'll be using either Red Olimar, or Green :4alph:

:4falcon: - ...Who doesn't use Falcon nowadays? He's also my Melee main. Green or Pink is my go-to.

:4pacman: - Pac-Man was a character I just didn't want in Smash at first. And lo and behold he rolls in and... I ended up really enjoying him. He's derpy as all hell, he's got great camp tools, and he's just all around a blast to use. Blue sleeves or Oven Man is my favorite.

:4megaman: - My second most wanted character in Smash, he plays a lot like the actual games and it's delightful. Dark Green Mega Man is my go-to.

:4larry: - Larry's started to grow on me lately, I love the goofy little dude. Just wish he was... better...

:4greninja: - Greninja is a neat addition and a great rep for Pokemon. He's speedy and crafty. Pink Greninja is mine.

:4tlink: - I love Wind Waker. I like campy characters. Yeah. I like orange haired Toon Link.

:4littlemac:- I like campy characters, but sometimes I feel aggressive and wanna move fast and get in. Little Mac is my go-to for that. SNES Mac is the one I use.

:4sonic: - SOMETIMES YA JUST GOTTA GO FAST, GREEN RING STYLE

And then I dabble in these guys: :4dk: :4drmario: :4duckhunt: :4ganondorf::4jigglypuff: :4metaknight: :rosalina: :4shulk: :4wario2:

For 64, I main: :falcon64: (Pink), :dk64: (Red)
For Melee I main: :falconmelee: (Green), :drmario: (Green), :luigimelee: (Default), :pichumelee: (Green)
For Brawl I main: :olimar: (Red), :toonlink: (Orange Hair), and :snake: (Green)

pershona

Smash Journeyman
:4sheik:I like her offstage game, and i can easily alternate between playstyles with her.
:4falcon:Everything about using him is just fun.
:4robinm:I liked Awakening, and he has a strategic playstyle that feels really rewarding.
:4ness:Pk Thunder is a really fun edgeguarding tool, spacing with Fair is fun and his BThrow is very reliable and a fun kill move.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I use :4megaman: because I love the series, especially Mega Man II and X. I like :4ganondorf: a lot since he had a reputation of being the worst character in Brawl and is pushing that in Smash 4, it's just a satisfying feeling when you win with him and is oh so disrespectful across all games.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'll go through my top five characters, then, and explain why I use each of them.

:4pit: My favourite Nintendo character of all time. Pit is everything I dream of being: cool, adorable, heroic, friendly, whimsical and strong; and simultaneously, everything I am: shy, clumsy, awkward and dorky. The fact that Pit gets trod upon by every character in the story and still carries on with his mission out of nothing else but a deep-seated, profoundly altruistic sense of justice endears me to him in ways that surpass mere appreciation of his gameplay. Pit is a deconstruction of the archetypal hero: though presented as a brave and powerful champion of hope and justice, he is in reality a foolish, blundering, snarky and hilariously tragic soul, constantly teased and berated by those he serves and regarded as a dancing buffoon by his nemeses. Pit begins as the puppet on a string that dances and jigs for his master's satisfaction, and it's not until he cuts those strings and learns to fly on his own two wings that he truly becomes his own hero. His stand against Palutena is a testament to his courage and his unfaltering honesty in the face of adversity: he stares into the abyss and, though it stares back at him, he leaps in anyway and fights tooth and nail to drag his loved ones out of hell and into the light of the skies once again. Pit is riddled with problems, both physical and emotional, and he persists in that most thankless and difficult of tasks because he knows it's the right thing to do. Pit grows, he weeps, he bleeds, he becomes stronger for it. He has slain gods and defeated legends, he has fought the forces of hell itself and saved his greatest friend and his own people from destruction too many times to recall, and he has never once frowned at the thought of being the hero or resisted the call to action. Though he can be high-strung and violent at times, even to the extent that he unwillingly partakes in such heinous crimes as mass genocide and spiritual terrorism, he nevertheless atones for his crimes by recognising his faults and promising to make better his folly in the future. To me, Pit epitomises the old saying, and the reason I love him is because he always reminds thus: "There is good in the world, and it is worth fighting for."

:4palutena: Next to Pit, my favourite Nintendo character and my most-wanted character in Smash 4. If Pit represents the hero, then Palutena represents the force of good itself, the good that the heroes fight for in the first place and the light of hope and justice that ignites a fervent passion in the souls of the righteous and the honest. And yet, for all her beauty and wonderment, Palutena is still just as boorish, crude, snarky and vindictive as the humans that serve her; she is not some all-powerful, omnibenevolent deity of sacrosanct morals and illustrious ethics, she is just as prone to the basest of emotions and as utterly, characteristically flawed as anybody else. She is selfish, mean, spiteful and cruel, but that is why I love her. Were she an all-virtuous paragon of supreme divine authority, unblemished by hatred and scorn, I would find her a rather dull character altogether. Paltuena, in my eyes, represents true good: not the good that we paint on ourselves and pretend to be, but the real good that exists beyond the surface good and beyond even the evil that dwells inside of us all. Beyond good and evil, I believe, there is the true soul of purity, the driving force of good that inspires and impels all things - and Palutena is the manifestation of that. Even when she loses her sanity and embarks on a bloodthirsty campaign of carnage against the living masses, and even when she realises the full extent of her wrath and folly, that good persists. It is not the work of some divine authority of the agency of a wondrous moral hand that saves her from herself, of course: it's Pit. Pit sees through the projected good and past even the darkness and the evil inside of her and into the true good, the real good, the light of life and the fire of hope that burns deep in her soul and inspires hope and courage in all that behold her. There is a reason why Pit would and does follow Palutena to the ends of hell and back and why, above and beyond everything else, he will always strive to help her and do the right thing: it's because, at the end of it all, Palutena is the good in the world and she is worth fighting for.

:4lucina: Let me preface this by saying that I am androgynous. It is exceptionally rare to encounter a character in a work of fiction that I can relate to and empathise in this respect, as most characters in fiction are - for better or for worse - presented as possessing a binary gender, and there is little room for maneuver in between those two rigid definitions. And then Lucina comes along with her soft features and her ambiguous clothing, her deep voice and her proud morals, and I see that this is a character I understand and I love and respect because of that. Lucina is biologically female, that much is self-evident, but her gender identity remains utterly, wholly ambiguous and is never really dwelt upon. And I love that. It demonstrates that it's not necessary to have a definite gender, that there's more to the human soul than what body you have and how others perceive you. Lucina is beautiful and inspiring, she carries off an effortless air of grace and debonair without ever needing to feel beholden to either her femininity or her masculinity: she is quite simply beautiful because there is profound, wondrous beauty in her. She is, of course, a hero in her own way too, and she represents what I believe to be the greatest and most powerful of all emotions: hope. Lucina sees the world and her loved ones torn asunder and slaughter before her very eyes, yet she does now cower and shirk her duties. She is the first to, in her own words, "Grab a sword and fight!" She is the one who, when all else is reduced to so much ash and ruin, stands against the oncoming chaos and holds her blade out, confident that, if she is to die, she will at least die doing what she knows to be the right thing to do. And yet, for all her charisma and bravado, there is a real sense of suffering and anxiety within herself. When she meets Chrom for the first time and is finally able to have a filial heart-to-heart with him, the traditional boundaries of leader and soldier dissolve and are replaced by something truer and purer: it is the relationship between father and daughter, a bond that transcends space and time and becomes something far greater and more powerful than any evil or terror can ever even conceive of being. When Lucina cries and embraces Chrom for the first time, it becomes clear just how profound and beautiful she is, both as a character and as a person. She is truly beautiful and a champion of hope.

:4robinf: I think that every character I play says something about me as a person, and Robin is no different. Being totally blunt and self-aggrandising about it, I am an intelligent person; I have always been praised for my intellect and my learned profundity, though I often question where it leads me and consider how much of a task it is to live up to such lofty and high-brow expectations. Robin reminds me that it's okay to be smart and that, at the end of it all, what people value the most is not what you know or how you can express yourself, but who you are and why you do the things you do. Robin, again, is an aspirational figure to me: beautiful, intelligent, charismatic and helpful. She is a paragon of intellect and virtue, knowledgeable in all fields and possessed of a ruthlessly sharp wit that cuts through even the fiercest of difficulties. She drifts through life, it seems, with ease and aplomb, and nothing phases her. Except it does, it breaks her heart to see such pain and suffering in the world, and for all her snark and witticisms, she just wishes for the world to be a better place. Robin is not one to hold her punches and she does not shirk from her responsibilities, which I find to be of the utmost admiration as a person and as a leader: she's quick to praise those that have earned her blessing, but equally quick to call people out on their nonsense if she feels it's just. She makes no pretensions about being a wunderkind or a prodigy, and in spite of her vast intellect and tactical prowess, she is still just as confused and perplexed as everybody else in the army. Her supports with Chrom only indicate just how human she really is, and how she would do anything for the sake of those she considers friends and allies. Robin, to me, represents the bonds between friends and family, the bonds that neither time nor difficulty can destroy, and the absolute aspiration that dwells within the soul of man.

:4rob: I've always had a soft spot for this little guy. And it's precisely because he's just that: the little guy. R.O.B. is the underdog of the roster, the wee fellow that nobody thought would ever have a chance and whose appearance shocked everybody. A sentient piece of plastic with gleaming eyes and whirring circuits hardly seems like an appropriate challenger in Nintendo's all-star smashfest, now does it? And that's the unspoken, subversive brilliance of R.O.B., both as a character and as a symbol. R.O.B. is more than just a tiny shambling toy: he's our childhood made manifest. R.O.B. is symbolic of the toys we loved to play with when we were little, the bountiful and boundless love and affection that we felt for them that never dies, even when we grow up and move onto bigger and better things. That nostalgia can never die; we will always love our toys. R.O.B. is the unsung hero of Nintendo, a tiny champion of hardened plastic and whizzing electronics that nevertheless stood tall and helped to save the entire video game industry as we know it - and where is he now? In the hallowed halls of Nintendo's biggest and brightest all-stars? No, R.O.B. does not need fame and fortune. he is content to sit and watch as new generations of gamers emerge and something wonderful happens before his very big, shiny eyes. R.O.B. is content to be the silent witness to aeons of endlessly unfolding history, the champion of the ages whose noble and unspoken efforts helped define the very thing that we now know and love today as the video game culture that we are all so proudly and wondrously a part of. His role in the Subspace Emissary only further highlights this: silent and serene, he watches as his brethren are subjugated by a malevolent will and torn apart by cynicism and coldness until, finally, he rises up and saves the day. After countless years of sitting on the sidelines, watching and waiting, embracing generation after generation of aspiring young Smashers, Nintendo has finally deigned it fit to reach out and take the little robot's stubby plastic rotor arm and lead him into the annals of the all-stars. R.O.B. is the manifestation of Nintendo's rich and colourful history and the living proof that you don't need to be great and powerful to be a hero: you just need to have the heart to do what's right and the courage to live for the things you love.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ever since Rosalina was revealed, I wanted to see for myself how she'd work out. She has been quite friendly to me, and has been one of my mains, even up to this day.

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
:4villager: because Animal Crossing is beautiful and has one of the strangest movesets out there.
:4littlemac: Ever since Little Mac was revealed, I was hyped for him because I love Punch-Out.
:4falcon: He just looks awesome.
:4tlink: Wind Waker is one of my favorite games, so the main character, in the art style, in smash bros? Hell yeah.
:4diddy: The Donkey Kong series is pretty cool in my opinion and watching JTails play as diddy was amazing to watch and I figured that I could play that well eventually too

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I have always loved sword wielding characters, especially stories that I find interesting and are set in medieval-ish settings. For this reason Marth stood out in games like Melee and PM, this translated to Smash 4 except that this time a character that I found more interesting in terms of story was able to be played in the game and basically had Marth's moveset; Lucina. Pretty much how it came down to for me using both of those characters.

D

Deleted member 269706

:4myfriends: - He fights for his friends. We all need an Ike in our lives. Haha, and on top of that I love Fire Emblem. I wasn't the biggest fan of Ike's character, but he was better than Marth.

:4falcon: - He's got some niiiiice moves :p probably one of the most entertaining characters to play as because there's so much you can do with him. And I really don't think anything feels better than landing that Falcon Punch.

:rosalina: - I've always been attracted to this character, and after seeing what people could do with her, I had to give it a shot.

:4ganondorf: - Underrated character, deserves attention. Love his move-set, and it really helps you learn how to read.

:4jigglypuff: - I think a lot of people laugh at this character, but you tend to laugh even harder when you kick their ass with him/her/it. Plus it's got that rest ability which is pretty much the most badass thing ever.

Top Bottom