• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you use who you use?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
:4pikachu: Well, I grew up with Pokemon. It's my favorite series of all time. I watched the show, played the video games, and played the TCG when I was little (and I still do to this day). So when I played my first ever Smash game (Melee), Pikachu was my favorite. After playing as him for so long, when I decided to start playing competitively, I chose Pikachu as my main.

:4sonic: One of my first ever video games was Sonic Mega Collection for the Gamecube. That game made me interested in Sonic the Hedgehog. As I delved deeper into the Sonic franchise, that hedgehog became my most favorite video game character. I liked his style, his attitude. Sonic's video games introduced me to rock and my alltime favorite genre, punk rock. So when I learned that Sonic was in Brawl, I was really happy. And so that's why Sonic is my secondary.

:4kirby: In Melee, other than Pikachu, I would play as Kirby. He seemed so simple and cute, yet at the same time, someone so awesome and cool. Melee got me interested in the Kirby franchise, and I'm very grateful for that. I still play as Kirby, usually with friends (or when somebody is using Shulk cuz I love to hear Kirby say "Buster"!).

:4greninja: :4charizard: :4jigglypuff: :4lucario: I use these guys a lot too, for similar reasons as for Pikachu. :)

Last edited:

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
:4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser:

I play Bowser because he's the king. He's the ultimate bad guy. I don't like fighting games that are just twitchy and counting frames, that's why I never got into fighting games (and really stayed away from Melee.) That's the reason I play Bowser, he's the opposite of jumping all over the screen like a meth addict.

Bowser is the heaviest and hardest hitter in the game You get juggled for a little bit, you eat the combos from your enemy, and then out of nowhere BAM! you hit them with one move and it deals 25% damage negating all that work they did on you. It's the same for the kill moves. One wrong step by your enemy and almost all of Bowser's moves are insta-kill (and a lot at early damage too.)

It's just sad nobody else uses him. I see people post about 9 characters they use and Bowser is never even mentioned. Bowser never is played in tournaments. There's hardly any pro footage to watch on Youtube. Even the Twitch.tv streamers like FOW never even pick him to just mess around. He's the biggest baddest villain since the 80's and he's just forgotten in this game.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Primary use:

:4link: Mained him since Smash 64, and I like The Legend of Zelda games, one of my fav characters. Low tier or not (past games), I WILL main him.

:mewtwopm: It's gonna happen :p. One of my favorite legendary Pokemon and my secondary in Melee (though I suck with him in that XD)

:4charizard: My favorite Pokemon of all time, no way I'm not gonna use him. I was crazy enough to use him in the OU tier before he got his mega evolutions (before he was considered good :p).

Using mainly for fun:

:4sheik: While I didn't main her in Melee considering I'm focusing all my potential on the low tiers, I feel more comfortable with using more characters in Smash 4 while retaining my skills with other characters, so I finally decided to start using Sheik. I usually use her for fun.

:4samus: Just a character I enjoy using for some reason. Overall just seems cool.

:4zss: Fun to play as, I didn't like using her in Brawl or PM, Smash 4 changed her moveset in a positive way imo.

:4pikachu: Because it's a Pikachu XD.

:4greninja: For having one of the coolest shiny forms :p, plus I kinda like the Poke.

:4sonic: Used to be a huge Sonic fan, sadly I haven't enjoyed his recent games, but still a character I like.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
:4megaman: Mega Man is my favorite video game franchise of all time. Everything about it clicks with me, regardless of the incarnation, though Classic is certainly my preference. I remember I pulled an all nighter pre-E3 with one goal in my mind: to see Mega Man (of any era) get revealed. The instant he appeared on screen and showed off his moveset, I was sold. When the 3DS demo came out, I refused to play any character other than him. I feel I have a lot of potential when it comes to using this character, which isn't the case when I use any other.

:4sonic: I used to be a huge Sonic fan, but as we all know, his game quality dwindled. I still love most of his games though, and in Smash he feels just like you're playing a classic Sonic game. S3&K being my favorite in the series, I appreciate that.

:4ganondorf: Ganondorf falls into my category of 'not a big fan of the series, but the character is fun to use.' It's so satisfying to play as a slow powerhouse that can kill as low as what... 50%? I prefer him over Falcon, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
:4ness: : When I was around 8 years old, I found the game Earthbound by accident and played it. On that time, my psychological life was... kinda lost, I didn't know a lot about things and stuff and I felt confused... But that game changed my entire way of seeing life. I can't really express that with ease, but Earthbound is what made me who I am now, and I'm so glad about that... I main Ness because I want to represent Earthbound, to show to everyone how a young boy can do everything if he puts enough effort. His gameplay goes along with me perfectly, and I won't change him for any character anytime. I just love him.

:4megaman: : Mega Man was my favorite franchise of all time back then. It might not be now anymore because of more emotionally powerful game (See above), but it's still my childhood. I played the crap out of the X Collection series, and then the Classic series, and then BN, and then Zero and so on. His gameplay feels so unique and polished, I love how jab are lemons, how he uses his powers in ways he would do in the games. I will fight with Mega Man, for ever lasting victory.

:4pit: : My main character to use on Doubles. Because my teammate uses this guy :4darkpit:. I loved Kid Icarus Uprising and I already liked Pit in Brawl and PM, but with the so awesome personality they gave him in Uprising, I could relate waaaaaaay more, and at the same time, mi teammate it's quite the DP (Me being the annoyingly cheerful and he being the dark and gloom). He just fits me so well as a representation of my personality overall.

I would post the others, but I feel like that would be too much :p

PS: Also :substitute:. The greatest character ever right there.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:rosalina: First off, she was my most wanted newcomer I've wanted to see in a future Smash Bros. game. I absolutely loved her in-depth personality, her appearance and her in-depth storybook a lot when I played Super Mario Galaxy. I was really surprised that she had a backstory compared to the entire Mario cast and since then she became my all time favorite Mario character ever. She was the only one I ever played as in the Mario Kart games since Mario Kart Wii and now that she's in Smash Bros., she will be, without a doubt, the only Mario rep I'll ever play as.
:4megaman: I really don't have much to say about him since I've never played his games before but his reveal trailer is what got me hooked up to the blue bomber...although his final smash was perhaps the turning point of why I enjoy playing as him a lot.
:4link: He's been one of my mains since the first Smash Bros. game though at the time, I didn't know anything about the Zelda games. I've never played a Zelda game in the series until I played my very first game, which was Twilight Princess and since then, I've become a big fan of the series.
:4myfriends: Pretty much the same reason with Mega Man. I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, not even Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, before I played Awakening but when I tried him out in Brawl, I started to take a shine to him mainly because my sister uses him quite a lot. He started to fit in well with my playstyle plus he's heroic, determined and he fights for his friends...and he gives no sympathy to no one.
:4lucina: She was my second most wanted newcomer I've wanted to see. I absolutely enjoyed the hell out of Fire Emblem: Awakening and I loved her as a character and the role she played in the game. She's so kind and caring who is willing to protect everyone around her, most of all her beloved father, Chrom, whom she's been through hell and back just to see him again. I mean really, I've never been so hyped to see her being confirmed for Smash 4 since Rosalina was revealed.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
:4link: - He was my main from SSB64 until SSBB. As a kid, I enjoyed LoZ titles. Mostly, I respected the character. Humble, courageous, constantly willing to improve to do what must be done. Miyamoto may have created the character so we could imprint ourselves into him during play, but it was mostly the other way around for me. Not many characters in literature have had that effect on me. Gameplay wise, I love how versatile he is. His grab's have range, his ranged attacks allow for a great sense of power, and he can both hit hard and move fast when necessary.

:4myfriends:- As much as Link and I jive, as I've gotten older I've noticed my preference in combat has changed. I associate it more with my reflexes not being as good as I used to have, but I now seem to like to hit a few times but make them count instead of dazzling my foes in a assault of different ranged and melee moves. In Brawl, :ike:and I seemed to work well but his shortcomings prevented me from being able to work with him more than a passing fancy. I've played through some of Path of Radiance and enjoyed what I know of the character, but only really know him from Smash. The way he carries himself, and how he swings his sword makes me believe that he and I share a similar desire during a match. With his improvements in Smash 4, I felt that he was now experienced enough for me to take in and make my Main. It has required me to unlearn some habits that I had with Link that don't work with Ike, but I'm now a far better player working with Ike then I ever was with Link. (Though this is more to do with me having to learn how to change up my playstyle than any issue Link has.) Still have room to improve, but I'm determined to make sure my skill as a swordsman allows Ike to live up to his pledges.

I should pick up Link again though. I haven't played him much since shortly after picking up Smash 4, and having a good secondary would probably help me in my first tourney in a couple of weeks.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
:4gaw: - 1920's cartoon character, same for his attacks - I feel like I'm in an old cartoon
:4pacman: - Also for the extremely old school appearance
:4rob: - Looks amazing, loved him forever - Funny attacks, also... When I found out that he was in Brawl, I was set!
:4bowser: - One of the coolest and best looking video game characters ever - if not the best
:4duckhunt: - Gotta love dogs

Last edited:
Top Bottom