• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why do you people hate third party controllers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
i do not understand this
it seems very elitist to do so
the point of the third party controller is to design a better controller than the default
but the large majority of you cannot stand for anything else than the original controller
what makes you hate them so?

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
It probably depends on the make of the controller that do this, but I have some turbo controllers that are slightly larger than the standard controller, and every single one of the buttons are raised much higher than should be. What I mean is instead of a smooth click, you have to really press hard to activate the Z button.

The buttons are higher, but the sensors aren't, thus adding split seconds of lag every time you press a button. At least, that is how it is in comparison. I dislike it for smash, and smash only. Other games I'm content playing with third party controllers.

Then, a lot of the case is that they just aren't as high quality, breaking easily. I know that my controllers can easily get messed up and you have to reset them often if you're playing an input intensive game like smash.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
i do not understand this
it seems very elitist to do so
the point of the third party controller is to design a better controller than the default
but the large majority of you cannot stand for anything else than the original controller
what makes you hate them so?
Because bro...everyone is already in perfect synchronized with the regular Gamecube controllers. Using them is like second nature to us. Why would we want to mess that all up and play with a totally different Mad Katz controller? If I used that piece of junk, I'd get my arse pwned in tourneys.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Elitist? Are you kidding? Half of 3rd party controllers suck, they break in less than a month, I'd know because of personal experience. I bought a madcatz and in less than a month the control stick moved too slow and the buttons became unreactive in meanwhile the control I got with my gamecube is fine apart from the rubber peeling off.

It's so bad when we play give ups people would rather skip their turn than play with that piece of junk. I've also seen my friends go through some the same way and they don't even play competitively. It's not elitism, it's common sense. I'd rather buy a controller that'd last me over 5 years than buy a piece of junk that'd barely work for 1 month.

Kips

Smash Ace
Actually I use a 3rd Party controller and I got to say- It hasn't broken, the C-Stick is a centimeter or more closer and is broader, making it easier to use and the sensors are perfectly fine. It's not madcatz though- Those controllers give me an itch in my palm for some reason.

sonicspeed 96

Smash Journeyman
First the suck. They break really fast, and their pretty big for a controller. Why would you buy one of them that lasts for a while than a controller that is not mutated like 3rd party controllers. And they cost WAY more than a normal one.

Starshade

Smash Rookie
I've never come across a third-party GCN controller that I liked more than the original. Besides, I'm already used to the feel of the normal Gamecube controllers, and I'm not going to waste my money on a new one anyway unless I've used one and have found it to be better.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
ugh i have a gamestop chameleon
and i am talking about a GC one not the PS2 one
by the way it seems to be much easier to shffl z cancel and wavedash with the regular controller
now that you guys say this it seems to kill the 3rd party ones by far
i should get the nintendo GC controller
lol i don't even have a gamecube

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i hate them because most of them are made without consideration for the shape of a human hand.

Plus, every single third party controller i've EVER used, without exception, lasted at least a third of the time than any regular controller did. and some of them get ****ed up even quicker. ****, i've bought a couple that were ALREADY ****ed up when i bought them.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
No elitism, I just prefer the Nintendo controller. It feels better to me. Third party controllers feel sluggish both with buttons and with sticks, and I don't see the need to accustom myself to them when the Nintendo model works just fine.

And of course you're going to prefer third party if you only own a third party controller.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Because to avoid copyright issues, third-party controllers have to be made completely from scratch. Thus, they usually end up less durable than the official controllers and will break MUCH faster than the officials.
I refuse to go near third-party controllers because they're a waste of money. They always have been and always will be.

Rodent23

Smash Cadet
My friend has a couple third party controls. They work fine, but I'll use my Wavebird first anyday. I just prefer the feel.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Elitist? Are you kidding?

I'd rather buy a controller that'd last me over 5 years than buy a piece of junk that'd barely work for 1 month.
No, lol; I just like products that work.

No elitism, I just prefer the Nintendo controller.
...that too. It's what I was raised on.

Is that a challenge mi hermano? I'm ready anytime.:cool:
Does it matter if that was a challange? It's not like you can tap this anyway. =3

yuki

Smash Apprentice
Those controllers dont cut it for me. My friend uses one and I think its utter badness... I had one and after a month if I pressed B it would remain pressed in and I had to pull it out...>.<

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
They have a very weird "feeling" to them when you try to play, most aren't durable, and a lot of people don't trust the brand. I can't get used to it considering I play a regular.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I've used a third party controller about a year and a half ago. It was a Megaman X controller. It felt better than the regular controller, until a couple weeks later when the A button kept sticking. Madcatz was pretty bad but not the worst. Superpad was a complete piece of ****. It was nearly impossible to charge smashes with it. Got a Nintendo controller, and it still works fine. It's not an elitist thing, I just prefer the Nintendo controller.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Lol, there's a superpad SNES controller right next to me, I pushed some buttons and they stuck in. If I remember correctly it got so bad that I couldn't even play with it because every button I pushed acted as a pause button.

Man, what a piece of ****.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I've used a third party controller about a year and a half ago. It was a Megaman X controller. It felt better than the regular controller, until a couple weeks later when the A button kept sticking.
****, I was really considering getting that controller, too.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
The reason people may like to use the first party one so much may be because of quality, because a lot of you seem to have personal experiences of 3rd party controllers breaking... But lets say you find the rare high quality one, that is shaped differently than the others, but won't break in a year and responds quickly. Shortly after you buy it, a new technique is found that requires two buttons to be close together, far apart, or a certain distance, and you can't do it, or at least have a lot of trouble doing it when others do not. While you may have special tactics with yours, if they become much better than the regular gamecube controller some tournies may not let you use it; an advantage that is bought rarely helps gameplay. Some people like standard things for games, the more equal the playing field the better.

MC Kool-Aid

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BLUE#138
Switch FC
SW-2013-8946-6219
Warned for necroposting.
"the point of the third party controller is to design a better controller than the default"
good joke, 99% of the time they are worse in every way.

Mod edit - Totally unnecessary to bump this 12+ year old thread with no meaningful contribution. Thread locked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom