• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main who you main?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I main characters because of their feel and nothing else.

I'm still figuring out 64, and Melee though. Not sure who I find the most comfortable yet.

Brawl:
:olimar: - He just has that best feel for the game. Between the awesome camping game, damage racking, kill power, and just how awesome he feels in general . There is just no better character for me to use in Brawl.

Honorable mentions;
:falco: - Gatling combo, SHDL, Chain Grab, and good feel. He's just a fun character all around.
:marth: - I love the way his DB works in this game, but I dislike it in Melee/PM, and the range of his moves. I'll usually switch to him against ICs as they murder Olimar and I am no good with MK lol.
:toonlink: - Bombs away. Is also my go to doubles character usually, I don;t use him much in singles.
:wario: - Dair, Dair, and Dair, Bike is cool to. My other go to doubles character.

Project M:
:roypm: - His mobility is just awesome. He is just an instant click for me. He feels just right.

Honorable mentions;

:link2: - Kinda like the opposite of Roy in terms of Roy, but he still feels good. And his projectile game is awesome, I also love how he can tank. I'll probably end up making him my go to doubles character.
:ness2: - PK Fire spam all day erry day.
:charizard: - Fire breathing salemender with wings. What's not to love?
:metaknight: - He feels sooooooo much better then ow he was in Brawl.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I main Link/Toon Link because of the variety of attacks. Ranged, grabs, close attacks, jump attacks, etc. So far, he's the only character that I feel I have total control of. He's not that quick but he's quick enough for me to get out of the way of people and counter attack.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I main Link/Toon Link because of the variety of attacks. Ranged, grabs, close attacks, jump attacks, etc. So far, he's the only character that I feel I have total control of. He's not that quick but he's quick enough for me to get out of the way of people and counter attack. EDIT NOTE: Mods, please delete this duplicate post. The website froze up for a minute and ended up posting this twice. I didn't submit twice. Could not find another way to delete. Sorry!

Last edited:

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Smash 64::fox64::mario64:
Fox because his games back in the day were a childhood I'd rather never lose. Mario because I just enjoyed the game and pace he played regardless of his match-ups.

Melee: :falcomelee::marthmelee::peachmelee:
Falco was my main for the better part of Melee. Waveshining and the tech speed required just clicked with me naturally. Martth was a pocket main just in case I had to face a solid Fox or Jiggles. Peach because the floats.

Brawl: :wolf: I enjoyed the shining into delayed sweet-spot Over-B. Only character I cared for.

Project M::roypm:ROY's OUR BOY. PM is the first time I have felt truthfully good at the game. Roy is an offensive aggro monster and I love the in-your-face pressure and constant attacks.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Melee: :ganondorfmelee: because I want to and :foxmelee:because shine. :pichumelee: because I was told by some guy on a street corner that if I don't play as him from time to time I will burn eternally.
Brawl: :ganondorf:because Brawl is bad and if I'm going to play a bad game I'm going to play it the worst way possible.

Project M: :ganondorf:because he's actually alright in P:M and Aerial Flame Choke to U-tilt should never work but still does.

Smash 4: Ridley, because I like playing as characters that are way too big.

Call of Duty: the guy with the guns, because guns are cool, just like swearing and Mtn Dew and Doritos.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Smash 64::fox64::mario64:
Fox because his games back in the day were a childhood I'd rather never lose. Mario because I just enjoyed the game and pace he played regardless of his match-ups.

Melee: :falcomelee::marthmelee::peachmelee:
Falco was my main for the better part of Melee. Waveshining and the tech speed required just clicked with me naturally. Martth was a pocket main just in case I had to face a solid Fox or Jiggles. Peach because the floats.

Brawl: :wolf: I enjoyed the shining into delayed sweet-spot Over-B. Only character I cared for.

Project M::roypm:ROY's OUR BOY. PM is the first time I have felt truthfully good at the game. Roy is an offensive aggro monster and I love the in-your-face pressure and constant attacks.
Melee: :ganondorfmelee: because I want to and :foxmelee:because shine. :pichumelee: because I was told by some guy on a street corner that if I don't play as him from time to time I will burn eternally.
Brawl: :ganondorf:because Brawl is bad and if I'm going to play a bad game I'm going to play it the worst way possible.

Project M: :ganondorf:because he's actually alright in P:M and Aerial Flame Choke to U-tilt should never work but still does.

Smash 4: Ridley, because I like playing as characters that are way too big. Ridley isn't going to be in smash 4!!!

Call of Duty: the guy with the guns, because guns are cool, just like swearing and Mtn Dew and Doritos.

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
P:M Mains:
:ness2: Rising aerials, broken PK Flash edgeguard, ridiculous recovery ranger, tipper F-smash is the best feeling ever

:sheik: My Melee main

:roypm: Dat Bair tho

:lucario: Spirit Bomb edgeguards

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
:marth:i main Marth mainly because i saw how good Ken and Azen looked with their combos. they were absolutely crazy but didnt look to difficult to do so i hopped on marth and learned his game. i also rely on my ledge guarding game and all of my characters i use do that so thats also a plus

:falco:Falco is my secondary because of them Dair combos and his laser is fun to annoy people with before catching them off guard with a quick SHFFL Dair, Nair, or reverse Bair.

:fox:Fox is another character i use cuz he is so hectically fast and good. his Nair is a great approach move followed by a shine. also dat up smash. connecting the up-throw-up-air is epic as well. hes simple, yet complicated at the same time

:wolf:Wolf cuz his combo game is ****ing sick. he has so many moves that can pop your opponents into the air and has easy follow ups. connecting with the side special for the kill is also amazing as well. he has 4 combo starters which really helps with those combos as well.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Project M Wario: :wario:
I started playing Wario for the Side B. Hes fun to play with in doubles.
It didn't take long for me to realize how complete his move set is. Right now bite is my favorite move. I feel like Wario can go even in most matchups. Wario isn't really a limited character tier-wise.

PMBR did a great job with him. : )

At this point I play him with the goal to take him up the tier list. I think Wario is underrepresented and more people should use the Wariolution.

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I started going to tournaments before I had a single main that I had pinned down yet. I had several characters that I played as in tournament, and I was always trying out new characters in friendlies. I had tinkered around with Ganon in for a little bit in friendlies and liked his sparta kicks and sweet dunks. The first time I went Ganon in tourney, I didn't really have enough confidence in my Ganon to use him in singles. I did, however, use Ganon all throughout doubles because he seemed like a more doubles-oriented character anyways. I had multiple matches that tournament where I got 7 out of the 8 kills on the other team. The decision was easy after that.

Spellbinder

Smash Rookie
I like characters who use swords. I like Fire Emblem. I work out a lot. So Ike's my character.

Also play Marth sometimes when I feel like getting in touch with my feminine side. Play Link because I like Legend of Zelda.

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
I'm interested.

Some people use their mains because they like the series, others because they like the characters, or because they like how they fight?

So, why do you main your main?

Falco Because he looks cool (melee
PM Mewtwo I always loved sweeping the elite four with that P move yea you know what im talkin about

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
:samus64: because of the charge beam

:samusmelee: because of the missiles

:samus2: because of the ice beam

:4samus: because Sakurai said she is OP...

Last edited:

Manatikik

Smash Rookie
I play :falco: because he was my favorite character from SF64 from when I was a kid and the fact that I like aerial centered characters with fun combos and a spike.

PajamasM

Smash Cadet
:4pikachu: In every game because i love pokemon, and i love u-smash/d-smash/u-tilt to thunder.

Melee:
:falconmelee::foxmelee: Because speed and aggression is fun and falcon helps with fox's "harder" matchups aka samus, marth. Also they are the 2 most fun charcters in the game imo, with fox i find to be a bit more fun.

Brawl:
:fox:Actual combos with dair. Nuff said.

Project M:
:snake:Because flashiness and I love when people don't know when they're stuck. Super Fun.
:mewtwopm:Because teleport into hover nair looks really cool, and is fun and way more effective than it should be. Really Fun.
:ganondorf:Aerial Side B. Also helps out on smaller stages where my other characters aren't as comfortable on. Likely the most fun.
:kirby2:Chu Dat Swallow. You can swallow, but can you Chu Dat? Idk, just really fun and annoying for my friends.

wwfbrawler781

Smash Rookie
NNID
wwfbrawler781
3DS FC
4356-0952-3106
:falcon: Captain Falcon since Melee. The feeling of freedom he gives while running around a stage buttery-smooth, along with the feeling that the only true limit to what I can do is how good I am. That and being off-stage.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
1.:sonic: Because I saw what Wizzrobe was doing at Zenith 2013 on Youtube and I learned the cancels and stuff -Project M
2.:fox64::mario64::kirby64: I don't know
3.:icsmelee: played friendlies with people tried other character and I'm was decent and comfortable playing IC's

-Dubs

Smash Cadet
:falcomelee: 'cause he looks cool, sounds cool, has a great moveset, and combos. Lots of combos.

Crulex Crystallite

Smash Cadet
:warioc: - He is the trolliest, unique-iest, funnest character to play for me. To feel heavy and be floaty, with dair bounces, the shoulder charge, command grab via bite, delay mechanics where you can charge his bite/F-Tilt/F-throw, a nice mix of quick and heavy attacks, etc.

:mario2: - He's just SOO SMOOTH. Mario/Doc is my main in Melee, and PM only made me love his playstyle 1000x more, especially with the new up+b > wall jump and much higher tornado > jump > up+B height. He's got everything I like, a reflector, medium weight and size, reliable bairs, reliable grab chains and combos.

:bowser2: My "I wanna be the best with it" main. I really really dig his playstyle, I've always loved characters that are huge, tanky, have big threat range and interesting options. Obviously horrible in melee, but in PM I feel like he's got a pretty strong moveset outside of getting grabbed or being bombarded by projectiles. His flame needs work.

:gw: - My other hilarious, trolly character main. It's really the speed of his attacks and how well they synergize. I love the delays, the random hammers, the height of his jump, aerial bucket stalling, etc. There's plenty of times where a simple piece of bacon or fish will start a combo for you because hit-stun.

Last edited:

Crulex Crystallite

Smash Cadet
Yes. Praise be to Bowser.
Yea Bowser's a boss, I just wish his flame wasn't horrible haha. Since it diminishes so fast, it's marginally useful in terms of threat and tech-guessing, or % building. It's also easy to punish since the delay on the ending animation is relatively long.

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
:mario2: Mario is a character I connect with in this game. He can adapt to everything in this game. He has combos, edgeguards, defense, and a good projectile.

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
:ike: Because he fights for his friends.:ivysaur:Because it is so satisfying getting a kill off a solar beam. :roypm:Because "HOH HOH HOH HOH!"

Renji64

Smash Lord
Smash 64: :mario64::falcon64: Mario is all around great and fun to play love his down B in that game. Captain falcon had that dope forward smash and great combos.

Melee: :marthmelee::dkmelee::drmario: Marth because he felt great to play that elegant movement and good grabs. DK because he was fun to play and i like playing dk and Doctor Mario because he had a black outfit and he was good.

Brawl::dk2::marth::falco: Dk was fun to play. Marth was great and falco was good and felt right minus down B.

Project M::dk2::marth::yoshi2::lucas: I play dk in P:M because he is amazing the best designed dk in the series. Marth due he is good and fun and learning lucas and yoshi.

Raijinken

Smash Master
In 64, :falcon64: because I enjoyed his speed in a game where most other characters (except Fox, whom I despise) are pretty slow.
In Melee, initially :drmario: as a fan of the game, but later swapped to :roymelee: and then :marthmelee: for the swordy fighting style.
By time Brawl rolled around, Fire Emblem was my favorite game series, so :marth: again. And I brought back my :falcon: play and learned to :ness2: as my third.
For Project M, still :marth: and :ness2: as fans of their games and gameplay, and :roypm: now that he's stronger and feels more unique than he did in Melee.

Superhotglue

Smash Rookie
I'm relatively new to competitive smash so I'm still experimenting with all the characters to see who I like and am decent with.

For Melee I'd have to go with :foxmelee: I guess. I'm solid with him, and he's very fast.

I didn't enjoy Brawl all that much (not because it's not melee or anything stupid like that, I just didn't really like it) but I played :pit: because dat side B spam wrecked my friends. Keep in mind all of us were just playing casually at this point.

And now for Project M I like :mario2:. Classic character, and just super to fun to play with. :roypm: is also pretty enjoyable since he isn't as bad anymore.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
:wolf: because he's fun
:luigi: because he's fun
:samus: because she's fun
:metaknight: because he pisses people off

Morbi

Scavenger
I am all about character loyalty and fun play-styles, if the characters is fun, I main them. Fortunately, most of the characters I main fall into both of those categories. Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, the Triforce. Legend of Zelda is the series that got me into Smash, so of course I main them. After that, Samus is one of those "for fun" characters and Jigglypuff is one of those "character loyalty" characters. I will admit that I do not touch her in Project M as the physics are weird, but sometimes I bust her out.

Cen Silver

Smash Cadet
(Click her to see the actual post.) :troll:

...Because Samus.

...And:4zss: . Because Samus.

Last edited:

SuperSmashNoob

Smash Rookie
64:
:falcon64: Really fast, great aerial game and ofc Falcon Puinch

:dk64: Strong, fairly fast forward air is very quick and meteors more or less
:kirby64: Pretty good overall, his forward throw is really over the top and fun to spam.

Melee (I was only like 7 or 8 when I played this so I knew none of the advanced techniques, I remember how awful I thought Sheik was, lol)
:mewtwomelee: Nice range, floaty but heavy, an awesome pokemon.
:roymelee: Cooler version of Marth, also the fully charged neutral B is swag.

Brawl:
:snake:Really strong and heavy, great recovery, great neutral and forward a combos, great aerials, tons of mines and projectiles.
:ike: Really strong, good a combo, varied recovery.
:bowser2:Side b off the stage, especially since you win when you and your opponent each have 1 stock.
I've played Brawl the most, so I'm pretty comfortable with most of the characters (at least in a casual setting, I'd rather try to get to competitive level in project m anyway)

Project M (I've only started playing it recently and will probably add some of the more obvious mains like Sheik, Fox, Marth, etc. later.)
:lucario: His combos are awesome and more or less built into him, repeatedly dash attack up a ing heavy characters is especially satisfying. His aerial game is also quite good. Aura sphere can harass opponents and the super version can be used to edgehog or launch a well thrown opponent. Recovery does decent damage, and super down b can be cancelled out of and extend combos. Up smash has a massive range, can be redirected, and can place you on the platform above you. Really fun cnaracter overall.
:wolf: Great combo starters and perhaps the ultimate combo ender: side b.

Smash 4 (i've only played as samus, zero suit samus, and lil mac, but why not):
:4littlemac:Very strong and quick, every one of his punches is like an event. His neutral b is a like a falcon punch on steroids in which mac slides nearly the length of a small stage as he punches. The neutral b also delivers a strong KO punch when charged. Bad recovery, but you might not need it with a character like this.

Top Bottom